• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Who here has experienced "limerance?"

istar11

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
From Wikipedia (Limerence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)...

"Limerence refers to an involuntary cognitive and emotional state of intense romantic desire for another person. The term was coined by psychologist Dorothy Tennov to describe the ultimate, near-obsessional form of romantic love.[1]

The concept is an attempt at a scientific study into the nature of romantic love. Limerence can often be what is meant when one expresses having intense feelings of attachment, preoccupations with the love object, and (as new research on brain chemistry shows) a similar mind-state to obsessive compulsive disorder. [2]

Limerence is characterized by intrusive thinking and pronounced sensitivity to external events that reflect the disposition of the limerent object towards the individual. It can be experienced as intense joy or as extreme despair, depending on whether the feelings are reciprocated."
"Tennov differentiates between limerence and other emotions by asserting that love involves concern for the other person's welfare and feeling. While limerence does not require it, concern may certainly be incorporated.

Affection and fondness exist only as a disposition towards another person, irrespective of whether those feelings are reciprocated, whereas limerence demands return. Physical contact with the object is neither essential nor sufficient to an individual experiencing limerence, unlike one experiencing sexual attraction....

Limerence can be longer-lived than transient forms of romantic feelings such as infatuation and puppy love, enduring for months, years and even a lifetime[citation needed] in the absence of knowledge about reciprocity...

Limerence involves [4] intrusive thinking about the limerent object; acute longing for reciprocation; if unrequited, transient relief may be found by vividly imagining reciprocation; and fear of rejection and unsettling shyness in the limerent object's presence.

As well, the feelings of limerence are intensified through adversity, obstacles, or distance, and the person may have acute sensitivity to any act, thought, or condition that can be interpreted favorably, and an extraordinary ability to devise, fabricate, or invent "reasonable" explanations for why neutral actions are a sign of hidden passion in the limerent object.

A person experiencing limerence has a general intensity of feeling that leaves other concerns in the background, and in their thoughts, they tend to remarkably emphasize what is admirable in the limerent object and to avoid any negative or problematic attributes.

Intrusive thinking

During the height of limerence, thoughts of the limerent object (or person) are both persistent, involuntary and intrusive. Limerence is first and foremost a condition of cognitive obsession. All events, associations, stimuli, and experiences return thoughts to the limerent object with unnerving consistency.

The constant thoughts about the limerent object define all other experiences. If a certain thought has no previous connection with the limerent object, immediately one is made. Limerent fantasy is unsatisfactory unless rooted in reality[citation needed], because the fantasizer may want the fantasy to seem realistic and somewhat possible.

Fantasies that are concerned with farfetched ideas are usually dropped by the fantasizer.[citation needed] Sometimes it is retrospective; actual events are replayed from memory with great vividness. This form predominates when what is viewed as evidence of possible reciprocation can be re-experienced (a kind of selective or revisionist history).

Otherwise, the long fantasy is anticipatory; it begins in the everyday world and climaxes at the attainment of the limerent goal. A limerent fantasy can also involve an unusual, often tragic, event.

The long fantasies form bridges between the limerent's ordinary life and that intensely desired ecstatic moment. The duration and complexity of a fantasy depend on the availability of time and freedom from distractions. The bliss of the imagined moment of consummation is greater when events imagined to precede it are possible.

In fact they often represent grave departures from the probable. Not always is it entirely pleasant, and when rejection seems likely the thoughts focus on despair, sometimes to the point of suicide. The pleasantness or unpleasantness of the state seems almost unrelated to the intensity of the reaction..."

read on it's really cool!

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
i did once, before i realized i had 1) a brain and 2) self-respect

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Dunno about involuntary, I always feel in control :[

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I had the great fortune that I could marry the man of my affection! So thankfully, these times are behind me. Still, it is an interesting romantic notion that catalyzes my Ne fantasy.

**runs to her blog to write a poem**

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I experience this all the time. Every time I date someone, I experience this until I meet them, or until 2-3 months or more.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
The fact I've never felt this is one of the many reasons why I don't feel like an adequate, functioning human.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've felt something like this towards certain ideas, paradigms, and ways of seeing things. At one point, I think I actually felt something like this towards MBTI and Jungian theory. Other times I can feel it towards a particular style of story, a particular theme, quality, or archetype.

As far as people, though? I don't think so, although the feeling might just not have lasted long enough before I ended up focused on something more abstract and expansive than the person themselves.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah, I really didn't know people werent like this. Although I did look at the "new relationship" thing and it says it is similar to limerance with a different end result?

"Another related term is limerence, as described by Dorothy Tennov in her book Love and Limerence[6]. While New Relationship Energy is described in published accounts as mostly positive and enjoyable feelings which people are reluctant to see fade, limerence is described by Tennov in her book as a generally unpleasant oscillation of misery and intoxication whose sufferers wish to be rid of. New Relationship Energy is often functional in establishing intimacy and emotional bonds, while limerence is seen as dysfunctional and without value. "
New relationship energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - my bold

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wow, I didn't think it had a whole definition..I feel this way alll of the time, no lie. It's pretty constant for me, but it regulates in intensity..

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I find it a pain. And wonderful. But pain, nevertheless.
It once went so bad, I saw her face in every little place I laid my eyes upon. It was as if she was the book I was reading. I'm so glad I am almost out of that one. Still makes intrusions in my thoughts though. Every now and then. And always despair and "what if I ..." or "maybe if I..." or "perhaps if I...".
Damn blue every time. Deadly blue. Or Deadly happy. I can't decide.

It's like being out in the sun all for too long. You burn yourself over and over and over and over. But in your mind and it is your mind that reaches out to the body and creates wonderful/horrible sensations.

Well, in scandinavia I am kind of used to hearing about limerance, or förälskelse as I know it.

It's pure life energy. xD

What if one find a person so abstract and expansive that they doesn't seem to stop any where. Where the hell does one go? Are there pills against this? xD

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No pills!!! Don't numb the human condition - our ability to feel is what makes living worth while.

And besides, without feeling, how can one be creative? :D