• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What attracts NFs to Typology?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I made a post about this in the MBTI (tm), Enneagram, and other personality matrices thread, but I wanted the specific opinion of an NF on this (Also, they seem to be the most active in the forum.. thus more opinions :) ).

I'm writing a blog for a friend's web company on MBTI, and I'm inclined to go straight into the topic, differences, similarities, ideas, etc... but for my first post I know I really need to draw people in (Not my specialty, either). So I thought I'd write about why people may be interested in MBTI, and appeal to all the different temperament types.... So why did MBTI appeal to you NFs? What did you learn? What's most fascinating? Any other ideas on what I should include in a first post, keeping it fairly basic?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm fascinated by people...always have been. it amazes me how differently we see the world and getting a peek in there helps me relate to them and possibly redefine my view as well....it's a growing process i think...there just isn't much to learn without different or new perspectives to contemplate.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
i'm fascinated by people...always have been. it amazes me how differently we see the world and getting a peek in there helps me relate to them and possibly redefine my view as well....it's a growing process i think...there just isn't much to learn without different or new perspectives to contemplate.

Ditto.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This.

Also I felt like a black sheep in the world, that no one else was like me. That I was the "weird" guy. Then I discovered that other INFPs existed.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also I felt like a black sheep in the world, that no one else was like me.

Yeah. Reading the results in high school was the first time in my life I felt like I was understood. The fact that some test managed that impressed me all the more.

Now, it's like what Erin said. What makes other people tick fascinates me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it's an abstract set of ideas (N) that explore the way people interact with one another, and how the differences in the way people process things could affect their relationships and emotional reactions to different things (F).

I would think that NFs would be more drawn to typology than other types due to its being abstract and involving the nature of people, but there actually seem to be more NTs than NFs, or at least equal amounts of both. So apparently the abstract nature of typology is more significant than its focus on people in terms of deciding what sort of people are drawn to it.

janey_girl

MBTI Type
INtJ
Again - it's all about the people... Working out how they work, how I work - interactions, the whole 9 yards of fascination really....

To finally have found "my people" and that I am special in a good way makes me feel a lot more valid....

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
being able to understand ourselves as well as the people around us

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This.

Also I felt like a black sheep in the world, that no one else was like me. That I was the "weird" guy. Then I discovered that other INFPs existed.

Then you discovered that there are other "weird" guys? :tongue:

Yeah I felt like a broken people lover. I have enjoyed finding that people are like me. (and pretty awesome people, at that!)

I feel like it helps me understand the most effective way to relate to people.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Helps me realize I'm not broken, that there are other people out there like me. Although, fine, they may be broken too, but they're broken with me. :heart:

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My Fi is self-focused, so I enjoyed learning more about myself in a way that took feelings into account rather than science or some sort of moral code... My Ne is possibility-focused, and saw a thousand different ways the MBTI could apply to life, work, etc.

G

garbage

Again - it's all about the people... Working out how they work, how I work - interactions, the whole 9 yards of fascination really....

To finally have found "my people" and that I am special in a good way makes me feel a lot more valid....

being able to understand ourselves as well as the people around us

Then you discovered that there are other "weird" guys? :tongue:

Yeah I felt like a broken people lover. I have enjoyed finding that people are like me. (and pretty awesome people, at that!)

I feel like it helps me understand the most effective way to relate to people.

all of this stuff, and also stuff on the second page that i was too lazy to quote

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
+1

You know how people tend to react to similarities like a religion? Well, guess what. . .
It's not that I am fanatical or anything... I don't have a religious view at the moment, probably never will have but... The fellowship of the NF. I guess. Something else that reminds you of yourself. Not just your own train of thoughts running amok in a place where it doesn't so much feel where it is understood. So I guess, fellowship. Is my main reason. I don't feel like I have to be on the lookouts as much anymore. I did before, I just kind of hid it to myself. Tried to respect myself and just cope with it. Somehow, don't ever try asking me how, I now find it easier.

Oh, and of course how people tick. That is just so much fun. I love to unveil people around me. It's soooo intoxicating. Just a little better than OK sex. Or just like really good sex but on a different level entirely.

*here I stop. Just not to mix things up too much.

But 1+ on the thread above me.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I can understand me, I can understand you. Then, I can understand the world.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
im actually interested in it because it helps me own in job interviews and work in general

and it is nice to know how people think so they feel more comfy around you

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The constant, insatiable drive to understand, whether it be trying to understand the people around me or trying to understand myself.

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
i agree with everything :)

it's beautiful to unravel the tapestry of society. picking it apart, thread by thread... seeing how they all cross and weave.... and seeing how you fit in there :)

i love understanding :)

an NF's mind is a beautiful thing :)