• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What attracts NFs to Typology?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was interested in psychology in general, and typology was just another tool I could use to understand others. Typology has helped me communicate better / decipher what others are saying better. The short of it is that MBTI helped me tailor my language to something the other person could understand (I find that Ni, Si, Te and Fe are generally easier to talk to, for me), and Enneagram helped me understand why I and someone else could have clashing motivations / concerns, and how to achieve a working middle ground that benefits us both. Like MBTI is the physical device, and Enneagram is the programming.

To use Introversion and Extroversion as an example, even before I knew MBTI I better understood how to engage in both Introverts and Extroverts, and pelting each of them with methods or activities better tailored to the other wouldn't really go anywhere too far or too long, eg; constantly dragging an introvert out to meetup and chat because it'll be 'good and fun' is ... Just no.

I was interested in psychology in general, and typology was just another tool I could use to understand others. Typology has helped me communicate better / decipher what others are saying better. The short of it is that MBTI helped me tailor my language to something the other person could understand (I find that Ni, Si, Te and Fe are generally easier to talk to, for me), and Enneagram helped me understand why I and someone else could have clashing motivations / concerns, and how to achieve a working middle ground that benefits us both. Like MBTI is the physical device, and Enneagram is the programming.

To use Introversion and Extroversion as an example, even before I knew MBTI I better understood how to engage in both Introverts and Extroverts, and pelting each of them with methods or activities better tailored to the other wouldn't really go anywhere too far or too long, eg; constantly dragging an introvert out to meetup and chat because it'll be 'good and fun' is ... Just no.
I had friends that treated my introversion like it was a bad habit (or worse a disease) that needed to be broken through ‘getting me out there’. Fun times.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I had friends that treated my introversion like it was a bad habit (or worse a disease) that needed to be broken through ‘getting me out there’. Fun times.

I love hanging out with introverts. They inspire me to pull focus without feeling guilty later. ;)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Oh yeah, exactly. I really hated that. What part of "I do not enjoy this." do they not understand. Thankfully I never felt like anything was wrong with me or bent to them, and introversion seems to be better understood than it was before, and less 'stigmatized', at least ime. "Oh yeah, he's just a quiet guy."

Or maybe I just got lucky and people kept just thinking I was just an impassive deep thinker.

Tengri

Typology communities are hotspots for Ns in general, for delving into the subject matter. We want to learn more about our type and hear people's similar experiences. There is just a sense of belonging of finding our people in our type, or at least for me. Even if not the same type, it's interesting to meet people of other types. In fact, I learn new things talking to people of other types. Also, delving into the theory goes into this phenomena. On forums like this as well as PerC, the NF and NT sections are super active while other sections are notably dormant. As for NFs, I would say it's a want to connect to other people in the typology community and better understand ourselves, friends, and family.
I think this summarizes my feelings on it, too. Finding an odd assemblage of personalities otherwise hard to come by in real life and then bridging connections there. INTJ forum is fun for the theory and endlessly rambling debates, rants, individualized perspectives. INFJs is community oriented and many of the discussions and polite debates are Fe-driven (like PerC, to a certain extent), while it's a mixed bag here. People watching is absorbing in real life for similar reasons that browsing random thoughts on these forums can be. For instance, two couples I know though work are definitely intuitive types and whenever we chat it's almost like stopping in at a little oasis: they're familiar, there's no misunderstanding, and conversation flows, well, intuitively. Thinking about it, it's awfully rare to run across others that think and feel similarly in a sensor-driven culture, so it's nice to read familiar thoughts.