• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How often do you hide your emotions?

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Feel free to be more rude with me since my style of communication is quite impersonal.

I am not claiming that logic is beyond you. What I am claiming is that I have easier time in many situations in life. Since I don't worry and I don't get stressed. Of course my level of thinking is actually disfunctional in modern society. But I think that in general Ts have it better/easier

I agree that Ts might find it easier and I did find it easier being run by logic and being rational but it isn't as fulfilling as living with and savoring the emotions within and/or those outside.

Though, I did have to meet a person telling me that I wasn't human but a robot. After that, I don't work in the same way any more and I've found something that gives me more than life ever did before. Though, I seem to be less able to relate to that part of my life nowadays.
That I find unfortunate.

My favorite quote about life;
"Life is simple but hard."

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
How often do you successfully hide your emotions might be a better question.

Anti,

you have a commitment to reason. And you flaunt it.

The feeling isn't immediately on display as a thing by itself, but there's a "reason" you attach importance to the reasoned development of stuff.

Y'ever get pissed off if someone stops listening to something you want to say? Embarrassed if someone lets you go on too long with faulty information? Anxious if you can't find enough of what you need to know the next step of something? Pleased when an important plan you made for someone comes off well?

And do you hide it well?

And here's a weird one: how do you feel when people start telling you they can see feeling in what you do?

For me, I tend to comfort myself by knowing I can chill right down and tear throats out if someone really does try using that "weakness" of mine. (Reality actually proves that really, really wrong, but it's still comforting somehow.)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
How often do you successfully hide your emotions might be a better question.

Anti,

you have a commitment to reason. And you flaunt it.

The feeling isn't immediately on display as a thing by itself, but there's a "reason" you attach importance to the reasoned development of stuff.

Y'ever get pissed off if someone stops listening to something you want to say? Embarrassed if someone lets you go on too long with faulty information? Anxious if you can't find enough of what you need to know the next step of something? Pleased when an important plan you made for someone comes off well?

And do you hide it well?

And here's a weird one: how do you feel when people start telling you they can see feeling in what you do?

For me, I tend to comfort myself by knowing I can chill right down and tear throats out if someone really does try using that "weakness" of mine. (Reality actually proves that really, really wrong, but it's still comforting somehow.)

Feel free to start the thread I would not mind. I agree that this is better question.

First I don't claim that I don't have emotions. I don't know why people call me out on that all the time. I just have undeveloped feeling side.

To be honest I don't relate to your questions.
Which is because I have no real friends. My communication is so limited that in many cases I just exchange yes/no question with people. Most of my conversation doesn not last longer then 30 seconds and they are related to technical exchanges of information.
I am not anxious around people since for the most part I don't pay attention to them at all. But I am not anxious when I engage them eather.
The planning part is correct for me.

Usually people just saying to me how "cold" I actually am or they just joke and talk. It also happens that people see the emotion when there is no emotion there and the other way around.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But because of this you have problems with functioning normally in your environment.
My initial point was in spite of feeling a little too much, I function very well in my enviroment.
Noted your points and have taken them on board. I understand where you are coming from now.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My initial point was in spite of feeling a little too much, I function very well in my enviroment.
Noted your points and have taken them on board. I understand where you are coming from now.

I made a bad choice of words. By environment I mean life in general.
I am curious, if you funcion very well then why did you open "Feeling sad and lost" thread ?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Functioning well in your environment has nothing to do with random moods. I can be feeling depressed or anything and do just fine if not how I would normally. In a work zone I suppress my feelings since they don't do much for me. The only mood that will effect my performance is if it's a good mood, then I'll probably do better, so I won't suppress that.

Depression is a mind state, it's an illusion. I realize that by my not wanting to do anything etc I'm just holding myself back, so I just ignore depression when it hits. This is why it doesn't effect me, it probably isn't the same for others.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Functioning well in your environment has nothing to do with random moods. I can be feeling depressed or anything and do just fine if not how I would normally. In a work zone I suppress my feelings since they don't do much for me. The only mood that will effect my performance is if it's a good mood, then I'll probably do better, so I won't suppress that.

Depression is a mind state, it's an illusion. I realize that by my not wanting to do anything etc I'm just holding myself back, so I just ignore depression when it hits. This is why it doesn't effect me, it probably isn't the same for others.

I can see your point. But repressing emotions can be bad for mental health.
If done to often and to strong. As far as I know NFs are the first that will claim that.

I think that moods (good and bad) play a role in a degrees efficiency.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would not be suprised that there is already a slimilar thread.

I am watching NFs(and SFs) on this forum and it looks to me that a number of people is much "softer" then people in reality.

The most obvious conclusion why things look this way is because in reality people really hide their emotions. Probably because they make them vulnerable.

So, how often are you afraid that people will figure out what you are actually feeling?

Also I think that this is one of the main reasons why many Fs can look like Ts in real liife.

I don't really hide my emotions, but I'm not very emotional. When i'm having a strong feeling, (rare), I normally keep it under wraps very well, not because I am afraid, but I don't think that its necissary. It doesn't make anything better. Sometimes if I need to talk about something, i'll wait for a while to cool off and then i'll talk about it with whoever is bothering me.

IRL, i'm known for being very calm and level-headed,and not known for showing strong emotion (except maybe happiness, since that never bothers anyone.) I'm not very moody, just friendly and cool-headed. Its not fear, its just my way of doing things.

On here, I look more warm because this website is often about discussing aspects of personality and answering a lot of personal questions, and i'm answering them as a feeler. But that opportunity doesn't come up often in real life.

wolfy

awsm
I can see your point. But repressing emotions can be bad for mental health.
If done to often and to strong. As far as I know NFs are the first that will claim that.

I think that moods (good and bad) play a role in a degrees efficiency.

It's not healthy to repress your emotions. But it can be healthy to suppress them. You don't deny your feelings to yourself but you don't show them to others. You don't make a public display of them. I don't believe it is always the right thing to indulge your feelings.
I think this is the balance of Fi and Se for me. The balance between your world and the real world.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I made a bad choice of words. By environment I mean life in general.
I am curious, if you funcion very well then why did you open "Feeling sad and lost" thread ?
Life doesn't stop because I'm sad. Just because I'm a little down, and somewhat hazy about my future (my job contract is ending), it doesn't mean I've stopped living life, making decisions etc, applying for jobs. Plus I was curious as to what everyone else does when they are down. No-one in my real life even knows I feel this, plus it's Easter and I didn't get it off, and I'm tired. I can't be a happy munkin all the time.
The show must go on, so the song goes.

Don't you get run down (tired) every so often?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Life doesn't stop because I'm sad. Just because I'm a little down, and somewhat hazy about my future (my job contract is ending), it doesn't mean I've stopped living life, making decisions etc, applying for jobs. Plus I was curious as to what everyone else does when they are down. No-one in my real life even knows I feel this, plus it's Easter and I didn't get it off, and I'm tired. I can't be a happy munkin all the time.
The show must go on, so the song goes.

Don't you get run down (tired) every so often?

If you say so I will take your word for it.

Actually just the opposite. I think that I am too inactive for my mental level and abilities.
In recent months I have started to plan a major offensive in life.

For me it is not strange to spend a night just thinking about things.
I also do something similar during a day when I am not into doing things for college. But doing things for college is once again comes down to thinking and analysing.
It can sound funny and/or narrcisoid but for the most part I am functioning as a machine. So the answer to your question is, No.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It can sound funny and/or narrcisoid but for the most part I am functioning as a machine. So the answer to your question is, No.
Sometimes I read your posts, and I feel sad for you. I know it's wasted, but still you sound so lonely, and lost. Weird response I know....I just get the feeling you feel more than you let on...but you've never gained anything from it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Sometimes I read your posts, and I feel sad for you. I know it's wasted, but still you sound so lonely, and lost. Weird response I know....I just get the feeling you feel more than you let on...but you've never gained anything from it.

I can understand lonely but why lost ?

The problem with being quite expressed in something is that people will always look at you like you are pure 100%.

Next to you I am emotionaly dead but I am not actually.
In the case I am emotionally dead I would never use sarcasm and I would never take one of those silly online tests.

Also I would never want to get a Ph.D in this case. With some luck I will even get it one day. The thing is that I am not a person with emotional depth.
Actually I am quite shallow in this area. But the "problem" is that my emotions are well camouflaged with reason so most people miss them.
Or they fail to recognize them as such.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Positive emotions come out very easily, expressed in an energetic inspired ENFP sort of manner. Negative emotions get openly expressed less often. If they do, it's often with people who I am close to. Even they get shocked sometimes when I'm distressed. I often get the 'you don't look like yourself when you're upset' thing from them.

Trying to ask myself why I hide my negative or distressed emotions more often? I think it's because I can usually overcome them by myself quite easily if I just spend a bit of time alone. So why burden a close one with them?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm...this is not entirely relevant, but I'm sensing that perhaps the T/F difference could be characterized by willingness to express positive emotions. It seems like a lot of Fs say that they are perfectly fine with positive emotions, but that they hold the negative ones back and deal with them later. I know that for me, expressing positive emotions is much more difficult than expressing the negative ones, and I've heard other Ts express something similar. What do you think (perhaps this has been mentioned before)?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Hmmm...this is not entirely relevant, but I'm sensing that perhaps the T/F difference could be characterized by willingness to express positive emotions. It seems like a lot of Fs say that they are perfectly fine with positive emotions, but that they hold the negative ones back and deal with them later. I know that for me, expressing positive emotions is much more difficult than expressing the negative ones, and I've heard other Ts express something similar. What do you think (perhaps this has been mentioned before)?

If you are asking me then my answer will be that in many cases this is true.
What could be related with the "fact" that NFs are responsible for keeping a collective emotionally healthy. So showing negative emotions can be seen as counter-productive in many cases and on many levels.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wish I could hide my emotions- but it is always written on my face.
My BFF says that when I am sad- I look so deflated-it becomes completely lifeless- it's just so obvious.
I don't give reasons for my emotions and don't necessarily share the why- but I can't help but show the what. Actually I hardly ever explain- people jump to conclusions which are usually so way off base that it just makes me more upset and quiet and makes it feel like sharing to them is useless- they wouldn't get it at all. I am too private in that way.

If I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and hurt the healthiness of the collective- then I will just avoid people completely- because I don't want to bring down everyone's day or make them feel like they have to cheer me up and cause work and distraction.

I actually have the problem of hiding joy in solemn situations too- if everyone else around me is sad and miserable but I am in an elated mood- my happiness will inconveniently glow as well.

If I am annoyed or disgusted- my eye brow can't help but raise and my mouth cringe.

If I am torn inside- I can't help but tear up and break down.

I can't turn off the switch.

I really wish that I could because it would make for such an easier life.

How I did well at poker I will never know,lol.

I wonder if I translate the same heart on sleeve behavior on a forum as I do in real life. Although I do share more of the why here- or do I? Hmm. How transparent am I?

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe... I was really depressed for awhile, and I thought I was INTP. Back then, I was more pessimistic and the easiest emotion for me to express was anger/frustration. Now that I'm getting better as far as depression goes, I've found I'm really INFP, and I'm a lot better at expressing myself. I have no problem saying when I'm happy, and telling people how much I care about them. This was almost impossible for me before.

However, all INTPs, or other Ts, aren't depressed. So it's a connection but it's not...?

I wish I could hide my emotions- but it is always written on my face.

If I am annoyed or disgusted- my eye brow can't help but raise and my mouth cringe.
That's funny. I never really thought about it, but I have a difficult time controlling my facial expressions sometimes, too. It has created some pretty, uh, awkward situations for me. I don't need to tell anyone how disgusted/annoyed/angry I am with them, they can already tell from my face. And there are definitely times when it's better to hide it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If you are asking me then my answer will be that in many cases this is true.
What could be related with the "fact" that NFs are responsible for keeping a collective emotionally healthy. So showing negative emotions can be seen as counter-productive in many cases and on many levels.

Yeah, I think you may be right. Expression of emotion for Fs would be centered around the collective emotional environment. This goes along with what LadyPinkington was saying, that if the situation is solemn, positive emotion would be suppressed...and in neutral or positive emotional environments, negative emotions would be suppressed.

So then it makes sense that for Fs, negative emotions would be more often suppressed than positive ones, because the majority of the average person's day does not take place in negative or solemn emotional environments.

Maybe... I was really depressed for awhile, and I thought I was INTP. Back then, I was more pessimistic and the easiest emotion for me to express was anger/frustration. Now that I'm getting better as far as depression goes, I've found I'm really INFP, and I'm a lot better at expressing myself. I have no problem saying when I'm happy, and telling people how much I care about them. This was almost impossible for me before.

However, all INTPs, or other Ts, aren't depressed. So it's a connection but it's not...?

Well all this really says is that you took your propensity to express anger/frustration as one sign (among many, I'm sure) that you were INTP instead of INFP. It could only ever count as evidence of my statement if you were actually INTP ;).

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Opposite for me, expressing negative emotions is something I find a hell of a lot tougher than expressing positive ones. ENTPs are notoriously optimistic though, maybe that's the difference there, I don't want the negative emotions to begin with and tend to consider them weaknesses as such I don't want to freely expose to others what I consider flaws. Expressing my deeper personal feelings towards other people is the exception, I tend to suck at that and stick by the whole ‘actions speak louder than words’ deal.