• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP vs. ESFP? What's the difference?

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think the distinction between an ENFP and ESFP becomes obvious the more you spend time with them. I hesitate to make too much of a generalization, but I think ENFP's have a VERY deep, curious, serious side. The ENFPs I am friends with have an interesting blend of passionate intensity and lighthearted playfulness, the latter of which can be found in ESFPs. ENFP's dominant function is extroverted intuition, so when you talk with them, you can see their N on display. I don't know any ESFPs who exhibit this.

phoenity

The extraverted sensing in my ESFP best friend is quite obvious. It's probably one of the biggest reasons we get along so well, because we Se things the same way :)

He enjoys coming along on my camping and hiking trips. Also the fact that he doesn't think in terms of past or future, which feels familiar to me.

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
hmmmm :)

1. thank you erinavery! that did help a tad. [hahaha, :redface: leave it to me to start a new thread that had undoubtedly been threadified before] :blushing:

2. hmm i suppose some background would be helpful here. the reason i'm asking is cuz i'm trying to type my two friends.... they are both DEFINITELY extroverted, no question. i'm just wrestling with the rest.... (i had just kinda guessed ESFP, hence the thread title) could someone give me some key ways to spot differences between N vs S, T vs F, and J vs P? i think that would help me more.

concrete examples, por favor. (ex: an N might say "bla bla bla" while an S would say "sha la la"..... etc.)

i know, i know.... there's websites that explain all of this... but i don't want fancy frilly mumbo jumbo.... i want real people explaining this in an easy, blunt way :cheese:

thanks guys :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weeeelll...i'm thinking you would know as well as i do being that you're an enfp.

do you feel her n? yeah i know that sounds weird but i don't know how else to say it.

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
weeeelll...i'm thinking you would know as well as i do being that you're an enfp.

do you feel her n? yeah i know that sounds weird but i don't know how else to say it.

lol, nice :)

the thing is....

i'm pretty good at this whole MBTI thing, but i'm not an expert... i need some concrete examples of what "N" (or s/t/f/j/p) looks like before i can "feel" it ;)

haha :rolleyes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay okay...well i just reread that thread and i thought it was good.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Thread is already great as far as examples go. From what Ive seen, ESFPs are more likely to do practical jokes without thinking too broadly about it. An ENFP might think of different practical jokes to do and grab the best idea and run with it.

Just to repeat stuff. Getting to know the person is probably the best way to tell the difference, and figuring out how they react with their surroundings is another good way to tell. ENFPs seem to be more worried about being with people and the ESFP can always use Se to play around with the objects around them.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I think the distinction between an ENFP and ESFP becomes obvious the more you spend time with them. I hesitate to make too much of a generalization, but I think ENFP's have a VERY deep, curious, serious side. The ENFPs I am friends with have an interesting blend of passionate intensity and lighthearted playfulness, the latter of which can be found in ESFPs. ENFP's dominant function is extroverted intuition, so when you talk with them, you can see their N on display .
:yes: Describes me pretty well. Sometimes, I mask that serious side with playfulness.. because in reality, when I talk about anything deep, it overwhelms people I know when the subject of interest is too intense? They'd rather not 'think' about it. I tone it down a bit. Keep that info to myself and a select few who understand. Being ENFP for me, means I keep my blacksheepness in disguise! :546: At other times, it's really hard for me to act in the moment like some of the sensors I know do. My movements are a bit unfluid compared to theirs. Hard for me to describe. :glasses:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
lol, nice :)

the thing is....

i'm pretty good at this whole MBTI thing, but i'm not an expert... i need some concrete examples of what "N" (or s/t/f/j/p) looks like before i can "feel" it ;)

haha :rolleyes:

Hey :), and welcome!

It will be Ne and Se that will be the difference here. They aren't always that easy to spot the difference between, and if they are in their late 20s or older, the Te can make it very difficult. The last time I only figured out a person was ESFP by their approach to music (ie. the Se precision with details).

Both types wander across topics, and talk quick. Watch for the psychoanalysis part, it is probably the biggest ENFP give away. And also the way they go on tangents. Though the difference is hard to pick sometimes, the tangents from both types can be just as strange and obscure.

This might be useful.

ESFP - ENFP

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
:yes: Describes me pretty well. Sometimes, I mask that serious side with playfulness.. because in reality, when I talk about anything deep, it overwhelms people I know when the subject of interest is too intense? They'd rather not 'think' about it. I tone it down a bit. Keep that info to myself and a select few who understand. Being ENFP for me, means I keep my blacksheepness in disguise! :546: At other times, it's really hard for me to act in the moment like some of the sensors I know do. My movements are a bit unfluid compared to theirs. Hard for me to describe. :glasses:

I do the same thing, Viv. Sometimes I have a tendency to really "go there" when I have a certain train of thought. I learned to tone it down & show more of my playful/silly side. It's better that way. It could get very weird. :crazy:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I actually used to think I was overboard with analyzing things because I would leave my "S" family in the dust. My ESFP sister still looks at me like I'm crazy when I get in an analyzing mode.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
ENFPs talk about big ideas, talk in leaps and bounds, talk about possibilities, sometimes unrealistic.

ESFPs talk about the here and now, everyday stuff, tangible stuff, no wishy-washy talk.

Edit: I <3 them both!

Last edited:

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

Sounds pretty ENFP to me :)