• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] How do you know if ENFJs want to be friends?

EmilyINFP

MBTI Type
INFP
If ENFJ's are friendly to everyone, how do you know if an ENFJ actually wants to be friends?

I have a really hard time in general telling whether people like me and want to be friends. I'm always worried that I'm missing signals that they don't like me, and I worry that I'm coming off as needy and desperate and that I'll be embarrassing myself if I try to make friends when I'm not getting clear signals.

I've been having a particularly hard time of this with a co-worker and acquaintance/casual friend of mine who I'm pretty sure is an ENFJ. He's a great guy and I'd really like to be friends with him. But I don't know what the heck to think about what he thinks of me! He's so warm and friendly with me that sometimes I'm sure he must like me and be interested in being friends. But then I make some overtures (inviting him to do something) and he says he can't, and then he doesn't reach out to me to invite me anywhere in return, and although he is pretty busy that makes me wonder if he does like me or if he's just being a nice guy and I'm reading too much into it. He's generally really nice and friendly to everybody, so I could totally be misinterpreting him-- maybe he's definitely not interested in being friends (or maybe he's kind of neutral but if I keep pushing and seeming needy it'll turn him off to that ever happening.) But on the other hand, if we could be friends but he's just not going to go out of his way to get it started, then I don't want to miss out on that. (Or maybe he would want to be friends but thinks I'm interested in him romantically and is trying to avoid that? He's married and I'm in a long-term relationship, but he's mentioned things like 'Your boyfriend should come down to our work happy hours so we can meet him' a couple times and I wonder if that comes from him thinking I'm interested?)

So-- in your experience, how do you know if ENFJs want to be friends? Are they/you obvious about not wanting to be friends with someone, or do they/you try to let the person down easy and still act friendly and polite? Are they/you particularly put-off by clingy people who keep inviting them to do things, or are they/you more likely to be flattered? Have you ever had an experience where an ENFJ gets pursued for a friendship in a one-sided way but ultimately becomes real friends with the person? How the heck do I figure out what to do next?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm. I have to wonder if he's saying 'no' to doing things with you strictly because he's married. If he's asked you to come to the next office party with your man in tow, I think that shows he wants to be friends.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1. Calm down. :) You said so yourself, he's super friendly to everyone.
2. Treat it as what you want it to be. Even if you don't understand him, he'll understand you.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
One of my best friends is an ENFJ. He has so many friends and acquantainces that I can see why you'd find yourself wondering if the ENTJ you know genuinely likes you or not! Here's what I gather:

ENTJs are pretty easygoing about first impressions. If you do anything awkward or weird, they'll laugh at it instead of label you as "needy" and "clingy." Disliking someone comes more from their actions (the things that bother them would bother any type: lying, belittling people, bragging) than from their personality. My closest ENTJ friend is, admittedly, nice even to people he dislikes, but I can tell you he would not ask to hang out with the boyfriend/girlfirend of someone he didn't like. He'll tolerate that sort of outing only when other friends are tagging along.

Also, ENTJs are busy. They get asked to do all sorts of nonsense. I live only ten minutes away from my friend, and we still have trouble meeting up because he gets asked to do so many things! It's a rare day when he calls me saying we can get together, haha.

Hope my experience with ENTJs helps!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Take an ENFJ being nice to you at face value because that's the default.

Pink brings up a good point about him being married and probably not wanting to give the wrong impression. This is very likely an important factor.

I'd say that if he's not being more assertive about being more meaningful friends with you, then just leave it at the casual workplace friendship and happy hours. :)

ETA: Why do you want to be friends with him so much?

EmilyINFP

MBTI Type
INFP
ETA: Why do you want to be friends with him so much?

That's a good question. Partially because I don't have any good friends who live in my city right now except my boyfriend, and I very badly want more good friends here, period. But I have a hard time making friends, so anytime anyone seems like a real possibility, I get a little over-enthusiastic and excited and probably a little too fixated on them.

As far as him specifically? Partially because I really like and admire him as a person and enjoy being around him. Partially because I think we'd be really good and compatible friends-- we share a lot of interests and values. Partially because it feels to me like we really connect well already, that we're well on our way to becoming friends (although, like I said, that might just be his personality and not anything to do with me/us.)

If it's not gonna happen, I'll be disappointed but it'll be okay. But I can really see us being great friends and I do want to do whatever I can to make that most likely before giving up on it if necessary. Does that make sense, or do you think I'm focusing too much on him specifically?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That's a good question. Partially because I don't have any good friends who live in my city right now except my boyfriend, and I very badly want more good friends here, period. But I have a hard time making friends, so anytime anyone seems like a real possibility, I get a little over-enthusiastic and excited and probably a little too fixated on them.

As far as him specifically? Partially because I really like and admire him as a person and enjoy being around him. Partially because I think we'd be really good and compatible friends-- we share a lot of interests and values. Partially because it feels to me like we really connect well already, that we're well on our way to becoming friends (although, like I said, that might just be his personality and not anything to do with me/us.)

If it's not gonna happen, I'll be disappointed but it'll be okay. But I can really see us being great friends and I do want to do whatever I can to make that most likely before giving up on it if necessary. Does that make sense, or do you think I'm focusing too much on him specifically?

Well, I don't know if you're focusing him too hard on him specifically. You said yourself you're in a new city and really wanting to make new friends so you're probably excited that you've met someone who seems like they could become a friend. Maybe you could go to Professionals in the City (I think that's in all major cities?) or Meetup.com or your particular interests in case this doesn't pan out?

If you want to stick your feelers out there I'd try initiating something via non-work email (less pressure, more casual) with you and your boyfriend and him and his wife. That'll probably help with the whole SO situation. You can tell him why a little bit ("I'm new to the city and you've made me feel very welcome...maybe you and your wife would like to catch a movie with my boyfriend and I...") and I would say the play would be give a date and see if he agrees or starts rescheduling. You could also see if he wants to have lunch. Space these out so it doesn't feel like an onslaught. Annnddd, I just thought of one more thing. If you're a direct coworker he may want to keep your relationship friendly, but professional so watch for that as well.

Personally, I know what it feels like to see someone hone in on me in that way and I don't mind it mostly. When I want to become more than casual friends with someone I usually make about three or so attempts and if they don't reciprocate I back off.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Humm maybe you can ask him if you guys would like to go out and have like a group dinner or do something together (you, your BF + him and his wife). I think that this could prevent the whole "romantic" vibe idea that he might have and simply show him that you just want to be friends.

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I am really friendly to everyone I meet at first, too. But, if I want to be friends with you, I'll make a suggestion to do something more intimate-- a phone call, lunch, dinner, time to talk, etc. Or, in social occasions, I'll seek you out to talk to you. Even though ENFJs are nice to everyone and act like they are revealing themselves to the whole world, we only get truly personal with a few over time. If you start to notice him getting vulnerable and being very genuine, it's a good sign. But since he's married and the opposite sex, this may never happen in the context of your relationship.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
As mentioned before being married probably plays a big role.

Beyond that though healthy ENFJs will almost always give off a positive vibe to everyone they meet. Personally, from past experiences, it is hard for me to actually make the next step from casual friendship to becoming actual good friends.

If you have already made overtures about something more than a simple workplace friendship and he hasn't responded it likely means that he doesn't want to expand past your current point.

EmilyINFP

MBTI Type
INFP
Those are good suggestions about inviting him to do something with both our significant others, I think I'm going to try that.

Are there any key/"typical" things that bother ENFJs about others which I should be aware of? Or things ENFJs particularly admire and appreciate in others? I mean, I obviously need to (and will) just be myself, but I do want to put my best foot forward, if that makes any sense?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Those are good suggestions about inviting him to do something with both our significant others, I think I'm going to try that.

Are there any key/"typical" things that bother ENFJs about others which I should be aware of? Or things ENFJs particularly admire and appreciate in others? I mean, I obviously need to (and will) just be myself, but I do want to put my best foot forward, if that makes any sense?

I've noticed over the years that they really pay attention to manners (whatever those are). And always apologize to them after any vulgarity.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ

I am an ENFJ and my best female friend is an INFP, I don't think you have anything to worry about.