• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Patience based on personality types or individual?

INF?2121

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Four
Do you think patience is something that is much more noticeable in certain personality types or do you think it varies from individual? I know as an INFJ I admit one of my weaknesses is well...I'm not too good with that whole patience thing yet. Thoughts?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm... I'll post my thoughts on this later.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Individual. Everyone has the capability of being patient or impatient. It’s not type related.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Individual. Everyone has the capability of being patient or impatient. It’s not type related.

I mostly agree. It's generally true that neurotic (read: reactive) people have a lower degree of patience... it's virtually a part of the description. Which kind of begs the question!

Having said that, there is very little correlation to MBTI, and even if there was some, correlations don't have to pass through one another...

Type would probably say that certain types are less patient with certain things. Like my INTJ wife would be extremely impatient with anyone not doing things "the right way", which is her way. I'm generally impatient when things aren't working and/or are in my way.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Probably both. Ps more than Js, Is more than Es, Fs MAYBE more than T, and no difference between N and S.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Do you think patience is something that is much more noticeable in certain personality types or do you think it varies from individual? I know as an INFJ I admit one of my weaknesses is well...I'm not too good with that whole patience thing yet. Thoughts?

I have no idea if it is type related but I don't have any patience whatsoever myself....

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I mostly agree. It's generally true that neurotic (read: reactive) people have a lower degree of patience... it's virtually a part of the description. Which kind of begs the question!

Having said that, there is very little correlation to MBTI, and even if there was some, correlations don't have to pass through one another...

Type would probably say that certain types are less patient with certain things. Like my INTJ wife would be extremely impatient with anyone not doing things "the right way", which is her way. I'm generally impatient when things aren't working and/or are in my way.
Had it not been for us neurotics we'd still be living in the caves in the Neanderthal Valley.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have a lot of patience for other people but not as much for lifts (elevators) and loading times etc.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

Type wouldn’t say. People would say of type! lol.. But seriously. I agree with ‘certain things’ as opposed to people. But I think your INTJ wife is a poor example since people are not things. You were a better example. If your wife is extremely impatient with anyone not doing things her right way, does that say more of type or of her emotional maturity regarding others? Can you not imagine an INTJ who is patient with people, even with those who don’t comprehend them or their instructions? People would think that INTJ atypical or another type. That individual is just mature and well balanced functionally as a person.

Back to ‘certain things’ cuz I think that's on the right track. If that same INTJ is trying to solve a problem but can’t figure out how to do it then they may lose patience with the problem (or at their Te for failing). The relation is to particular stressors within our environments or toward ourselves for failing within our environments. You said it. When it gets in your way.

But if we're talking patience regarding peepoles*, then that same INTJ may one day become stressed enough they won’t be able to tolerate them at that given time. Stress goes, back to equanimity.

Probably both. Ps more than Js,

*BUZZZ*

If you’re gonna play that game, then you have to play by the rules. IPs and EJs would be less patient because they’re ruled by Judging functions and IJs and EPs more patient because they’re ruled by Perceiving functions.

But I don’t see it that way, really. The impatience for all of them would stem from whatever is not nourishing their Dominant function. An ENTP isn’t able to generate ideas as usual, or they’re not up to par, they (their Ti) may become impatient with themselves (and take it out on you thru Fe…*). An ISFP can’t get people to relate to each other peacefully so they (their Se) become impatient with the lack of progess being made and leave. etc

*jk…

Is more than Es, Fs MAYBE more than T, and no difference between N and S.

*ZZZ*

But eh I could be wrong, I'm guestimating. :)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Really depends on the people I'm dealing with & situation for me.

If it's with family/friends/elders/pets/kids- I am extremely patient.

If it's with someone who's really stringent, by the books, a-hole- I automatically roll my eyes at them without even knowing it. Even if I wanted to stop it, I can't. I know I really need to work on it..:( :reading:

Most times, I fairly patient!:)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Really depends on the people I'm dealing with & situation for me.

If it's with family/friends/elders/pets/kids- I am extremely patient.

If it's with someone who's really stringent, by the books, a-hole- I automatically roll my eyes at them without even knowing it. Even if I wanted to stop it, I can't. I know I really need to work on it..:( :reading:

Most times, I fairly patient!:)
Now I get it. Thank you Viv.
You put me on the right track.

I see it now. There exists two phenomena!
Only one word for them, though.

Ptgatsby patience, and Viv patience.
Want of neuroticism = tolerance for crime (and backwardness)
-and loving empathy. Respectively.

I have none of the ptgatsby patience.
I am inadequate in the Viv patience.
But I am working on it. :)

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
temperament and individual's willingness to develop in the area