• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: interesting job in a negative workplace or tedious job in a positive workplace?

Which would you prefer to work in for ~10 years, NFs?

• Interesting job, negative workplace

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Tedious job, positive workplace

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Must...vote!

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Ten years? [i]Ten[/i] years? Ten [i]years[/i]??

Votes: 21 36.2%

• Total voters

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Ha, I can see I totally muddied the waters of this poll with my hypothetical decade. As things stand, it seems that tedious job/positive workplace is the winner, which I can sort of understand but still surprises me. I put the poll up because I'm a little unsure myself which I'd prefer. I voted interesting job/negative workplace, but that's probably assuming I had a solid social circle happening elsewhere. I find that negative things said to me by someone ultimately need to be countered by positive things said to me by someone else. I can't seem to fully negate them solo. Or I can't fully negate their emotional impact, anyway, even if that impact is just pissiness. I don't have much of a problem with negating the intellectual content of their negativity. If that makes sense.

But I don't handle tedium well. Especially that form of tedium in which I'm still required to concentrate.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Assuming a knife lies ready to press into my back (therefore eliminating the subsequent choices and forcing me to choose between the first two), I'd choose option one.

My current 'interesting' job, whilst providing an overall negative environment (intellectual destimulator), has certainly tested my psyche. It wasn't until recently, within a month, that I realized it's not so bad. The hardest part lied in recognizing it as a negative environment and accepting it as such - my efforts to improve it proved inconsequential. I think infps have a tendency to find hope in blackest of bile, thus rendering the environment to at least 'neutral' status. For instance, I surround myself with good folk and celebrate our goodness with 'bring liquor to sample' every Wednesday; another one does Monday.

Just go to look on the bright side of life.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
I need stimulation and prefer not getting wrapped up in the negatives, I seen how petty things can get and how it plays in compromising the integrity of work and work place. preserving accountability is a tedious task in itself, although i have become efficiently efficient. I would still rather have a interesting job

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I need stimulation but I cannot work at a negative environment. It will drain me and make the job however interesting uninteresting because I'd be so stressed. And I have a lot of stress symptoms, I'd wake up to pee six times a night, I can't eat, I get stomach pains and headaches and pimples/zitz. :shock: Nope. Nope. Nope.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i can do anything in a positive environment...that kind of stuff i find tedious usually just has to be done, and as soul-sucking as it can be for me i still feel like i am contributing to a good cause if i am in a positive environment.

Too much negativity prevents me from being as productive as i'd like and isn't good for my mood stability as I have a really hard time dealing with overly negative vibes. There's a reason i do my best to keep such influences out of my life when they aren't absolutely necessary.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
10 years!! at someplace that was either tedious or toxic? no thanks!

Exactly. I couldn't stay at a job for 10 years if those were my two choices.

If I really had to choose, I'd pick tedious. I supposed because I'm extroverted. I'd only last a short time though.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I really don't want to say this, but I don't really care what job I do. In my first job I didn't like the nature of the job at all, but the people were really nice and supportive. To this day I still miss them. I actually don't mind tedious, as long as I can have time to sip drinks during my break and talk with my colleagues. My priorities are with my own personal interest, my relationship, my family. Career is waaaay down the list :D

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Give me a good workplace, with good work hours, with nice people. I don't care about the money. But I need enough money to support myself, otherwise I'll stress daily and *wham* become sick.

Must... vote!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
TEN YEARS???

interesting job with negative workplace...

...either (a) figure out how to cheer people up (b) steadily get them fired/convince them to change jobs or (c) rise to as much of a managerial position as possible

actually i worked somewhere with generally good coworkers but a hard-for-me-to-deal-with (veryyy controlling, nitpicky, and critical, but idealistic, such a confusing combination to me) manager for the last three years, and it was pretty great. the atmosphere being so shitty sometimes gave us something to bitch about and bond over, and the work itself being excellent gave us - or at least, those of us who were well-suited to it - personal enjoyment and satisfaction. plus money.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'd choose the tedious job hands down. I can't handle emotionally toxic environments, but I can tolerate tediousness -- I've been a housewife for the better part of 18 years, after all. :laugh:

Frankly, a dependable job in a pleasant environment with ten years worth of guaranteed job security sounds pretty darn nice to me. I'm going to want exactly that in about five years.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I had a job 2 years ago that was interesting work at a negative place. I lasted about 6 months, and I was REALLY excited about the work when I started.

So, I guess I'm going to have to go with tedious job at a positive place since I know the other one doesn't work for me.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i worked at a seemingly positive workplace, but it was quite negative
big egos, endless under-the-table-jerking-off sessions in meetings.
the work was i guess 'interesting' never the same day once.

but i take it with a grain of salt, more challenges faced, more
managerial mistakes witnessed---i think it's all good learning.
i've learned the most in shitty companies with shittier bosses
and colleagues. i'm so easily amused by nature, happy happy
can make me complacent...

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The job I have now seems to be becoming more of a negative environment, because many people who have worked there say 2 months ago want to quit already because the job has become so ridiculously demanding for such little pay, and the punishments are a little ridiculous too. I got written up yesterday because I sent a kid with water shoes on down the slide and I didn't notice. Hey, the other water park doesn't give a damn if you wear shoes or not, so why are you putting me closer to suspension for it?

Sorry, just a rant. It's become negative and demanding...I guess I had a less demanding job but still a negative environment for the most part (what else do you expect at McDonald's?)

Need to find a new job.