• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] coping with being a "single" NFP

revolve

This is a question for ENFPs & INFPs that are totally single: How do you cope with NOT being in a relationship? Do you feel like you are constantly waiting to meet the next one or "the one"? Do you find every day to be painful like I do? What do you do to get through these trying times?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do feel the way you do, on all terms. I talk to people to distract myself, and I also do other things besides sit there and worry. I am constantly trying to meet the right one however.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Same here. I'm single and have never been exactly prolific on the dating scene. The conclusion I've come to is that you can't let your happiness be determined by others. Obvious enough, but how many people accept this fact?

I try to find fulfillment in pursuing the things that inspire me, travelling and meeting new people, giving to others, revelling in great works of art (whatever form they may take), seeking self-improvement and self-knowledge, and expanding my mind. You have to be active in these prusuits because stagnancy is a serious dangerous place for NFPs. Keep moving and moving forward, this eases the pain and helps give you direction and meaning.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm single, and I enjoy it. What I should say is, I don't mind being solo at all. I would rather be single than with someone I know isn't the one. I keep my heart open for him, whenever he arrives, and in the meantime, I try to embrace the world as a single entity.

Though I'm not saying this to make anyone else feel bad. Sometimes it's hard to feel that kind of longing in your heart every day and not have it make you a little crazy or despairing.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
Hmm, I'm definitely happier NOT being in a relationship than being in one with anyone who's not truly a good fit for me. I've been in 4 relationships in the past and had misgivings about all 4, and done the typical NF thing where you stay wayyyy past the expiration date, and was just not happy. When I'm single, I do feel that longing for "the one" but realize that being single is better than pretending that someone is "the one" when he's not.

Now I refuse to get into a relationship unless I am really, truly in love with a person. That's only happened once and it might be a while before it happens again. Do I long for it? Yes. But meanwhile, I'm having lots of fun doing my own thing and having FWBs.

In fact, in a practical sense I'm really not ready to meet the right person yet. That would probably involve settling down in one spot at least, and being accountable to the person, and I'd prefer to travel a lot and experience some really crazy things without worrying about what anyone thinks.

To get through these trying times? Know that there are SO many enjoyable things in life besides just finding "the one"! What do you enjoy doing? What are your dreams? What do you want to achieve? Pursue those things and you'll have a lot of fun and find real meaning, even though they have nothing to do with romantic love.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Okay, first -- wow, I can finally post in the NF personal threads!!! Freakin' finally!!! Sheesh.

OK, now onto the OP :D

Maybe this is an E/I difference, but I truly enjoy being single. My life stays pretty active and I actually feel more free to meet more people when I'm not in a relationship. And by 'single' I mean not in a committed relationship. I can still date and consider myself to be single, in fact, since last summer I have basically been single and dating. Before then, I was back in school and I was single and single. ;)

I've met enough people and seen enough relationships in my life to know that I do not want to be stuck with someone and something if I am not feelng it. I don't necessarily feel like I'm single and waiting (though give it several more months or a year and I might get there), I feel like a free agent and I really like it!

I have high standards when it comes to love and relationships and I think this is type related. I can't fake the funk, I can't settle, and I refuse to go through the motions. It's not fun and it's just way too much work and it's a bad situation all around for everyone involved.

I think recently, in the last few years, for the first time in my life, I finally have gotten to a point where I can honestly say I feel very happy and blessed and excited about my life and who I am as myself. I feel good and I feel free. I don't feel lonely - I love and appreciate my friends and the other connections I make and the exploring that I do. And I've gotten really practical and discriminate (or tried to) about my affection and how I conduct myself emotionally.

And that's exactly why I know I'm actually ready and feel truly deserving of a wonderful relationship. I also just got out of an emotionally exhausting and consuming "dating situation" so maybe what I'm also feeling right now is relief, lol. Being single is infinitely healthier and happier and better for you than being in a relationhip and unhappy or chronically just meh. Who wants to be meh?

I don't need another person to complete me or make me better or help me accomplish my life tasks -- however, I definitely will jump when I find the person who makes my nerve endings tingle.

The kind of relationship I ultimately want will take a lot of energy and effort and I will be glad to do it and I won't even think of it as 'energy and effort', it'll be natural and it'll be awesome. In the meantime, I live life.

And, NF's you know when you meet 'the one' or several of 'the ones'. You know the ones to keep an eye on. I know I do. ;)

In the meantime, like LadyJaye, I try to keep open and be ready when that person arrives.

And having said all that, I definitely know what it feels like to really, almost desperately, want to be with someone and feel connection to them - to want to be loved and feel love. There are so many reasons to feel this way, and I think for me, it was always accompanied by fear that I was not deserving of it, that these things are outside my control, that I was just unlucky in love, and I really needed a lot, etc. Now, I'm more confident and comfortable in my own skin and having experienced really BAD and unfortunate love connections, I honestly just do not want to touch that again with a 10 foot pole. I value myself and my values too much.

Alright, sorry for the long lecture, I was honestly talking to myself. I totally do understand what it feels like to really want to be with someone, not even a specific person but just to want to be with someone in general. :)

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I haven't ever not been single, it's like I don't think I'll meet anyone worthy of a comitment I doubt it. I'm 22 and I have yet to meet anyone I'd want to date.I think their should be a thread that says coping with being in a "relationship" aswell.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've only ever not felt single once in my life, which was when I was in a relationship with a man whom I was actually in love with, so basically, other than that one experience, regardless of whether I'm with someone or not, I still usually pretty much feel like I'm flying solo.

Question, which NFs here want to one day have kids?

I definitely want to one day be a mother and have a family, and I am particular about what I like in a mate, and I am a freak, so meeting like-minded men whom I respect and connect with is kind of a majorly daunting and disappointing pain in the ass.

Having deep connections with men is not something I have been blessed with experiencing in my life, so far.

I kind of am of the mind state, now, that I'd rather be alone than be with someone whom I don't deeply connect with.

So yeah, I'm alone a lot these days.

:/

How do I cope?

I get more into myself, through exploring and enjoying who I am!

:D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No kids. For now that's how I feel don't know what I'll feel in the future but now no kids. maybe one day I'll decide I want kids. But hasn't happened yet.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lucky!!

I wish I didn't want to have a kid, it would make my life a whole hell of a lot easier!!!

Finding a suitable mate who would make both a great partner, and dad, is haaaaaaard!!!!

:cry:

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is a question for ENFPs & INFPs that are totally single: How do you cope with NOT being in a relationship? Do you feel like you are constantly waiting to meet the next one or "the one"? Do you find every day to be painful like I do? What do you do to get through these trying times?

In my least selfish moments, when would guess that I am at my INFP best, I feel ashamed that I am not with someone. Not because of how it makes me feel, or where it places me on a social ladder, but because if there is truly someone out there whose day I could brighten by being in their life, then I am depriving them of that happiness by not being with them. But I don't even feel confident in that because is that more tragic, or just egotistical to think that way...

Never having really dated or been in a relationship, (I'm not sure these things have even existed as concepts in our society for at least a decade) has lead me to places of great pain in the past. To get through this, I have forgotten about these ideas completely, and just put them out of my mind. But, this is not a good situation as when these thoughts & feelings arise again, it is jarring and disconcerting psychologically & emotionally. And obviously this is not a path of growth...

I would say it would be ideal to keep making connections with people, outside of the purposes of seeking someone to be with and dating. It would be ideal, but it is not what I have done. I hope to change this; I'm just not sure how it can be achieved...

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
No kids for me. I don't think I'd make a very good mother.

Yes, I can see how that just makes it even harder to find the right guy. Now you're not just thinking about yourself, but also the future kids as well. I've sometimes thought that I'll have a similar problem if I become really successful. Will need to date someone who is also high achieving, and who is a freak in bed, and a great guy to boot. Doesn't sound easy to find!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I wanna have lots of mini CzeCzes. :) The older I get, the more practical I try to be and figure out the timing of things. I thought I wanted a lot of kids, but not sure biologically how that can work out, so I could be happy with 1 child biologically. I'm also open to adoption.

I used to worry that I would have to reach some kind of personal goal with myself and 'be the person I want to be' before I could have a child and be able to raise them correctly and give them a good life. Now, I don't know if such a threshold really exists. I would prefer to raise children with a partner.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I think for me it'll be more surprising to be in a relationship, too under adjusted, confused, hopeless, given up trying, most likely too damaged, used to being alone often. In a way its a comfort zone plus I'd die a little to attract personalities like my family, which is all too possible.

Sort of like a story I saw once of this really messed up gentle fellow, he was doing well yet couldn't ever see himself being with anyone due to his history. I'm drifting without any sense of pride, purpose or identity in anything I do. I once thought I could get a lift by being in a relationship, now that I have my social group, seems I'm too inaccessible and my motivation is too low to try, too useless to be loved I guess, too complicated.

Lifes life, it goes at it goes.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
For me, it feels somewhat awkward.. For the longest of time, I was always in LTRs.

Now, I really have more time to reflect and more time to really 'think' about the type of partner I really see myself with.. not that I didn't listen to myself back then.. I guess I would say, the experiences gained really helps me to know what I truly want down to the nitty gritty.

I love the feeling of independence. I love being able to do what I want, when I want to, without having to worry about another person. At the same time, I do miss having someone I call my male chum, and I wouldn't mind getting to know his background, life, family.. at times, it could get smothering when I feel I need my space.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I am totally content with being single. I am a very self absorbed individual, I can't imagine dedicating myself to a relationship with someone... I am a super introvert, the most time I would like to spend with anyone would be an hour in bed. I don't like the idea of having to entertain some clingy person for affection, I'd rather be free. Maybe I haven't met the right person yet, but I'm not exactly scouring the planet in search of the perfect mate. I entertain myself with fantasy on occasion, but I am happy alone. I would hate to grow old and unappealing without a companion though...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
socionic INFp talking:

i am constantly waiting for the next romantic contact, because this is about the only kind of contact or extroverted behavior or pro active "leave the house for once-thing" that honestly interests me.

on the other hand i am way past any painful yearning.

not sure, if i have dissociated this, or if i am just centered in a healthy way.

i don't think, a partner could save me from my inner deficits/weakness, as i used to, when i still had the yearning.
but i still think, a partner could save me in 'practical' ways. there can not be LIVE, alone. spirit dies.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
In fact, in a practical sense I'm really not ready to meet the right person yet. That would probably involve settling down in one spot at least, and being accountable to the person, and I'd prefer to travel a lot and experience some really crazy things without worrying about what anyone thinks.

To get through these trying times? Know that there are SO many enjoyable things in life besides just finding "the one"! What do you enjoy doing? What are your dreams? What do you want to achieve? Pursue those things and you'll have a lot of fun and find real meaning, even though they have nothing to do with romantic love.

I agree.

Personally, I like being single. It's pure, unadulterated, freedom. I don't think the part of me that craves for independence, will ever die. Then again, I've never been in a relationship with someone I really love. But I don't think I'll ever be ready to be completely selfless.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No kids, thnx. And I didn't mind being single, though I never was single for long. I enjoyed just going with the flow. Loneliness is an annoying side-effect sometimes, but being single can also be very refreshing :)