• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] coping with being a "single" NFP

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I tried that and it didn't work very well. I finally decided that the problem was that it's hard to meet people by going home and reading after work -- believe it or not, in the last year, exactly zero attractive young women broke into my apartment to introduce themselves to me! So, now I make a point of doing at least one thing every week where I'm likely to meet new people, such as going out to a show by a local band. I'm assuming that for ENFPs, such people-meeting activities are included in "live your life, enjoy being single."

^ I like this post.

Yes, i have noticed this issue as well...

Also, tai chi wasn't the way to meet people my age...

Yoga, people are all older or leave RIGHT after class, no "social openings" per se...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yoga, people are all older or leave RIGHT after class, no "social openings" per se...

They're all INFPs :D
Really though, that's so me...roll up mat at lightening speed and make a run for the door. :doh: :D

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd rather try to get into pick up gaming sessions. I am still suffering from lack of D&D...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being single sucks... I really just want intimacy.

But I decided to do something about it. I met a girl in my history class... it was on the first day of the semester start. I was walking to my class, and I noticed her carrying a large backpack, so I waited and held the door for her. She thanked me and we locked eyes... man she's pretty (in my eyes). Doesn't try to look sexually appealing... which is highly appealing to me (I've never seen her cleavage the whole time I've known her... <3). After I held the door for her I went to my class, and we just so happened to be in the same one, so I sat next to her, and we started to talk. We always have something to talk about it seems, which is very nice.

I started talking to her last month, and last Monday I got up the courage to ask her on a date, and she accepted gladly. Now we just have to plan on a date and something to do...

I'm pretty sure she's an INTP. :)

So get yourselves out there! Things can happen. You carve your own destiny to an extent, have as much influence on it as you can!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There you go BC, well on your way. Stuff like that always tempts me back to school, but I refuse to go back just for that reason alone. If I'm spending my money like that I want to be getting into something I really want to do for a good portion of my life.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I wipe my glasses and see better.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been perpetually single for quite some time. It does hurt me a lot and makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me.

But, I'm probably not the best person to turn to for comfort on this subject, I tend to be very pessimistic about the "love" thing.

I suppose, just know that there is someone for you out there, maybe you haven't found them yet, but keep your heart open and you will. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Same here. I'm single and have never been exactly prolific on the dating scene. The conclusion I've come to is that you can't let your happiness be determined by others. Obvious enough, but how many people accept this fact?

I try to find fulfillment in pursuing the things that inspire me, travelling and meeting new people, giving to others, revelling in great works of art (whatever form they may take), seeking self-improvement and self-knowledge, and expanding my mind. You have to be active in these prusuits because stagnancy is a serious dangerous place for NFPs. Keep moving and moving forward, this eases the pain and helps give you direction and meaning.

:yes:

this is how i feel right now too.

relationships are great but you gotta learn to be happy and motivated on your own.

Chloe

I used to love it for a while, now I am starting to dislike it. i'd really like to fall in love...

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I don't know if it is better that I didn't have any experience with relationships yet or worse. It could be better since I don't really know what I miss. I know only how it is to be infatuated or even in love with someone, but I never get together with her. It could be worse though since I tend to idealize how it could be, so I don't really know the problems of relationships either.

So or so, I am getting a bit nervous that I am "still single" (you get to hear comments also when you didn't have a gf with 20) and I have some desire to be loved or love someone. But I am not forcing anything or specially "looking for a woman".

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've had enough breakups to know that it is stupid for my happiness to depend on the emotional consistency of another person! My life is very full and if a Really Good Woman comes along, that will be the icing on the cake!

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'll be honest, it sucks but it's a paradox we choose to be in. As much as I make fun of myself being single all the time, it's not like I haven't had the chance. The fact is that as a fluffy NF perfectionist, I'm not going to date someone just because they're interested, even if they're physically attractive. I had an ESFP girl show quite clearly that she was in to me. She's a good person, and looked nice too, but I just couldn't do it. I tried having convos with her before and we just didn't click. Conversations were often short and we'd have to consciously change the topic often. I honestly don't know why she liked me. I think a lot of people in my position would've taken the offer, and as much as I want(ed) a GF, I couldn't do it because I felt like I would be using her. Finding a GF for me is like waiting for a miracle to happen. To find a girl that I would fall head over heels for me and to feel the same way about me? I mean that's asking for a lot, but whatever, I'll wait.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've had enough breakups to know that it is stupid for my happiness to depend on the emotional consistency of another person! My life is very full and if a Really Good Woman comes along, that will be the icing on the cake!

Applause.gif

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Lucky!!

I wish I didn't want to have a kid, it would make my life a whole hell of a lot easier!!!

Finding a suitable mate who would make both a great partner, and dad, is haaaaaaard!!!!

:cry:

Me too!!!

It's difficult because 50% of the time I feel like I cope with being single better than anyone else (as an ENFP I have it made) -- I love and enjoy myself, I am never bored or lacking in honest, self-supportive mantras. The other 50% of the time I am the loneliest of extroverts, in eternal search of but not "looking for" (a manhunt has never been comfortably my style) *him*

can we just run into each other all ready?!!!!

I also am not handling what I am 99% sure is rejection very well; I do not compute in leave the person alone! as I'm sure he would prefer after declining my polite advances (ok, I go to see his band play frequently and crack jokes in his direction online). I want to flush this person from my mind but he will do things like cameo in my dreams, and isn't any less attractive the more I know of him. *sigh* I want to just leave the poor man alone. He is or is experimenting with being celibate. Only celibacy would turn an ENFP on. Sheesh. :shock:

I also want to note that because I have been single most of my life I feel like I have honestly spent enough time that way and in later years have the strongest convictions about love.. this doesn't make my unrequited romantic moments any less solitary but at least it will be love at first sight in one way or another for me.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is a false premise I've come to realise, its in the language, I was responding to my own false premise there for awhile I have to say.

Coping sounds strange, almost like your coping after grief, coping after depression, coping after loss, coping after lack, coping after single, coping out of what exactly?
Strange wouldn't you say?
Almost like coping not because we are single but coping because we are experiencing a poverty in our personality. Whereby we are focusing all our energies on this coping, this lacking aspect where we think and feel because we are in this energy state where we are single, that has left such a mega impression on how society views this, how we have been thought to view this aspect of ourselves, there is an inadequacy in how we feel and think. And this inadequacy is our dissatisfaction with ourselves rather. Insofar as to say we are then experiencing negative synchronicity and projecting this coping, this lacking of ourselves outwardly and reinforcing that experience I feel.

When you learn to change this negative vibrational state of being where you are without expectation of what you lack and start thinking and feeling good about yourself in abundantly, in a having and wanting energy state, you are fulfilled and your jug would refill with water cascading forward. And then your energy would become a kind of positive synchronicity where you focus towards accepting who we are. Becoming conscious, confident and self assured that coping and lacking are strange words. For they reinforce your views of what you don't have, instead of affirming your views of what you do have. And that is your individual selves, your freedoms, your passions, your joys, your personality, your creativity, your energy, your intrigue, your physicality, your being. How different attitudes would appear, fearless then towards enjoying life as a moment of experience rather than a moment in coping.

Interesting.

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
This is a question for ENFPs & INFPs that are totally single: How do you cope with NOT being in a relationship? Do you feel like you are constantly waiting to meet the next one or "the one"? Do you find every day to be painful like I do? What do you do to get through these trying times?

I've been single all my life so far, so it's always been the same to me. Although sometimes I do feel like "Man, I wish I could see what it's like to be in a relationship.. what's it feel like to be totally close with someone I like?" and that can really suck when I go someplace surrounded by couples, reminding me about how I haven't been able to experience that yet.

Yes.. I do feel like I'm always waiting for Someone like a longing... I think I am always looking for the right person, but just haven't found that person that I connect physically&mentally with yet that would also want to be with me. Maybe I'm just really picky.. and I don't really want to settle for anything less just to be in a relationship. If I start a relationship with someone, I want it to be meaningful and a growing/learning experience, instead of just casual dating.

I try not to think about it too much (being single). Do things I enjoy on my own and have fun with my friends. Building close genuine friendships with people can be just as nice I guess? minus the physical bit. So I think that helps me cope with it since I can still get emotional closeness with some of my friends (although maybe not in the most intimate way). Still, it's better than nothing! ^^ Oh and I can experience some of the fluffy feelings through romantic dramas :D yay!

Just kinda weird :p I Reallllyyy would Like to be in a relationship, but it has to be with the right person.. so I rather wait.

kelsey.nicole

MBTI Type
INFP
Ditto!

In reference to post # 55:

I am an INFP and I go to a Christian college that teases about a "ring by spring!" Perhaps we are in the same one! Are you in Pennsylvania? I am currently a sophomore. I have never dated anyone either... Haha. I think that we have identical stories here. I have to continually be surrendering my lack of dating to God! Keep persevering! The Lord knows you and formed you.