• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi-types hating Fi

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Yeh, I think in isolation it might not be. I just know as an ENFP it can feel like an observational function almost. There seems to be total awareness of when I don't know things and where the ambiguities are. There isn't really much guess work or subjectivity at all, because everything needs to be contextual, and every situation is a new context. Direct comparisons to previous situations, like many types do to decide what something means or is, aren't really used that much. It's like read each one on its merit and if it is something completely new, adapt your brain to the situation, and understand this new thing.

Another thing we noted in one of the other threads is Fi appears to only have a few set values, the rest is interpretation. The values seem to be along the lines of, "don't cause harm to people", and "don't restrict the freedom of people or harm their ability to reach their potential". There can be a significant difference between what people perceive as doing these things though, which is where some subjectivity may lie.

Fi is very admirable. It has enriched my life, it has been more out of necessity that have to use some of the other cognitive functions. If I'm Fi dom INFP, it is unlikely that it won't be a significant part of my life again soon.

honestly Fi is not so well developed for me. It is a big gaping hole of scariness in there that I wall in with Ne/Te. It lives underneath and I share it with those I trust but it is such a gaping, poorly protected weak spot that I dont always trust it and I struggle to protect it.

I would say that, Fi is great but similarly I tend to have it protected with Te, mine feels like a weak spot aswell, I think its good to have a sensitive side, it is our humanity truly.

heart

heart on fire
And this is how I will prove that I'm crazy...

I'm an ENFP, Fi is my supporting function and due to a few personal reasons, I've grown to mistrust it to the point of anxiety.

I like Ne and it's fun to let it run wild--- but when it gets overactive I am sure to make a complete ass out of myself and I begin to really dislike myself---so I sort of have a love/distrust relationship with Ne. Maybe the same sort of thing, only reversed for you?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't hate anything about my primary Fi until people on this forum remind me of how bad it is because I get most of my ideas from Ne, according to the experts.

But I know full well how disorienting one's self-image can appear through Fi and share your frustration. It'd be nice to wash all the bad words away in one swoosh, all the selfishness and self-pity and prejudices--wouldn't it? Oh yeah... that's why Napoleon invented the hangman's noose.

I guess life can be like tripping through a 100k hall of mirrors sometimes; we just have to shake it off, wait for the good horoscope transits, cross our fingers and hope lightening doesn't strike until then.

I don't know what questioned I answered. Ha chuckle ha.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi/Si loop, that I don't enjoy.
Fi, paired with Ne, has helped me dance through work place politics in places, in all honesty are no fit places for any one to work.
I don't hate it, it's just a tool I'm adept with. I wouldn't have it any other way.

wolfy

awsm
The only aspect of Fi I've sometimes disliked is a constant need to check if everything I'm doing is a congruent whole value wise.

I suggest you learn to love your Fi. Really for a lot of people they could learn to use their auxiliary function more. Don't be afraid of it. Sounds like you might be falling to tertiary temptation.

Tertiary Ni (ISxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else." The Secondary Function (Se) would say: "This thing's bigger than you. Better just go with the flow, do what you can, trust your instincts to deal with what's right here and now."

I like this. That's how I trip myself up a lot.

I want to make spaghetti sauce like this every time...
"Introverted Feeling ... encourages a personal relationship to an evolving pattern, a will to gauge the situation by an experiential ideal. For example, if we use Introverted Feeling to make a good spaghetti sauce, we won't follow recipes or measure ingredients. We'll sample the sauce as we're making it, gauging its taste, smell, and texture by their ideal outcome and adjusting for circumstantial variables so the emerging pattern stays on track."

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I get that with things too. I have a massive need for confirming things and testing things. Defaulting to the theory only can feel quite uncomfortable.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
The only aspect of Fi I've sometimes disliked is a constant need to check if everything I'm doing is a congruent whole value wise.
Yeah... I hear you. I have a well developed tertiary Fi and.... it drives me nuts. It seriously gets in the way of my evil plans.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't hate anything about my primary Fi until people on this forum remind me of how bad it is because I get most of my ideas from Ne, according to the experts.

But I know full well how disorienting one's self-image can appear through Fi and share your frustration. It'd be nice to wash all the bad words away in one swoosh, all the selfishness and self-pity and prejudices--wouldn't it? Oh yeah... that's why Napoleon invented the hangman's noose.

I guess life can be like tripping through a 100k hall of mirrors sometimes; we just have to shake it off, wait for the good horoscope transits, cross our fingers and hope lightening doesn't strike until then.

I don't know what questioned I answered. Ha chuckle ha.

your Ne is obviously excellent bc this post is genius. Ne attaches to things that Fi attitudes/values make meaningful, interesting, engaging, amusing, etc.

Fi just sorts, prioritizes, feels, and understands ideas/objects. it's sloooow but runs deep, and its momentum is somethin' powerful and sometimes painfully difficult to resist. and getting the right shade for everything and making it work together can be completely exhausting.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
your Ne is obviously excellent bc this post is genius. Ne attaches to things that Fi attitudes/values make meaningful, interesting, engaging, amusing, etc.

Fi just sorts, prioritizes, feels, and understands ideas/objects. it's sloooow but runs deep, and its momentum is somethin' powerful and sometimes painfully difficult to resist. and getting the right shade for everything and making it work together can be completely exhausting.

I get where you're coming from if it's mbti, but having the socionics descriptions mixed with mbti's in my head has been and continues to be pretty confusing to read posts drawing from both assessments.

Whatever we call what we're chatting about, I can say is that I can pick up on subtleties and tics and little blinks if I stay still and focus, and both interpret/exert them with ease. I do think my emotions are unusually practical not only because of my focus but memory for blankets of shades that I've come across, which often allows (forces) me to troubleshoot in a diplomatic position that needs filling. This sometimes feels like a selfish path, one that can give me absolute clarity about an aspect over time but also hurricane katrina my head with illusions.

I feel especially accomplished after reaching a conclusion to a project or idea in my head, say for instance sitting in a corner grating a chunk of cheddar at variable speeds until it whittles down to a single sliver that I can frame on a wall and mail to my parents like a moosehead.