• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Psychic INFJs? Anyone know about this?

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard alot of places that say INFJ's can have have psychic abilities, are there any real expirences/arguments to this tune? Has this been proven/disproven, have an explanation...personal stories welcomed and appreciated :)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I once knew an INFJ who told me I was going to pass an exam I was going to have the day after. And what do ya know...I did!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my mom and infj friend have weird psychic moments....usually has to do with something being wrong and they get a sense of that.

i have weird random things...like knowing what numbers something will be or what someone will say.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
the introverted feeling type has a way of slowing experience down and indulging in it, while disconnecting himself from physical sensations (except for internal body sensing, probably - feeling connects the body, the body is like a vessel for dreams, a canvas). So he creates this sticky slow paced state that is optimal to develop a story telling visualization, a concrete evolving daydream, that may have shamanic content, eg being with imaginary friends or having power animals. I don't say, this is identical to true shamanism, its just a baby variation of it (but may develop later in life). This is what justifies the frequently cited notion that the "infj" (FiNe, socionics got it right) has an enriched inner life. The emphasis is on "inner". It's disconnected (unless you assume a trans-personal connection as is implied by shamanism). this is also what make the Fi type a typical storyteller (author).

Also the introverted feeling type sees personal meaning in everything, especially when these ideas give him the impression of being connected with causality of other people. He will frequently assume that its more than a coincidence, that a close friend is currently interested in the same topic, or makes a similar experience. This is more specific or frequent in the introverted feeling type, than synchronicity, because the emphasis is on connection to people, whereas anyone could see a synchronization, without assuming such.

that about all that i have actually observed.

as for the NiFe type, there is nothing psychic about us, except for a superior theory of mind (not empathy!) and a spacial + naturalistic intelligence that is a bit "mystic" in the sense that it assumes (w)hole-yness and symmetry in natural patterns and is quick to consider portrayed patterns as unnatural or impossible (which often creates early atheism/agnosticism in young and uneducated NiFe people, as a lot of religious patterns in common interpretations are unnatural).
It is that inquisitive search for a picture that unites all of reality, which is a very dynamic associative fast paced process.
the NiFe person does not have an enriched "inner life", he is a perceiver, he as enriched internal observation skills (observation based guesswork, like connecting two dots in the dark into a known face with eyes, to describe Ni in a metaphorical way). call it enriched "mental" life if you want, but its not disconnected at all, except it has a "puffer", that removes it slightly from immediate experience.

feel free to disagree, but no need to cite my essay and take it apart piece by piece ...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs in general are called psychic it seems, we aren't though. It's just overactive intuition I believe, the ability to be psychic is a separate one. When this sense of the future built by intuition develops it gets more accurate. So yes, perhaps to an outsider it may look like a mystic process. I myself have a good sense of the future and what will happen, and it usually comes true. I don't consider myself psychic, I'm just being realistic about what there is to come. I can't just "know" I have to be exposed to new experiences to include them in my picture of the future. So it's not like "well your car is going to crash in the near future" it's like "if he keeps being reckless he will crash in the future" as a bare bones example. It can get a lot more complicated for that for me.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
Are you talking about me again EA? :D

I have visions from time to time and it is usually all bad. It's typically related to people I am close to.

Ex: My mom and sister asked me to go shopping with them and I said yes. Right after I said yes, I got a vision of them getting into a terrible car accident so I immediately changed my mind about going. They did indeed get into a huge accident while coming home from that trip. They survived with some minor injuries but completely totalled the car. The people in the other car had major injuries and one person was ejected (they were teens who ran a stop sign).

As far as this being an INFJ thing, I dunno.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...she's totally psychic it trips me out.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have visions from time to time and it is usually all bad. It's typically related to people I am close to.

I do this a LOT. A good amount of the time if it isn't something ridiculous it will come true. Like I will have a bad feeling about going down a certain road, so I will take a longer yet safer way in my mind. It's little things like that.

I remember one time I was driving and something in my mind said STOP NOW! So I slowed down in a sort of panic mode, and a car coming from the road perpendicular to mine rushed through going at about 80 MPH, I would have been hit on the driver's side had I not slowed down.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I get a lot of deja vu, usually from dreams that I don't particularly remember until the moment it reoccurs. Then, I can usually have foresight for a few seconds into the future, but that's it.

Otherwise, I'm not psychic; I make very accurate predictions and tune into people's true intentions, but that comes more from a subconscious picking-up of cues and then piecing them together very rapidly, also subconsciously, so that only the end result is seen.
So, in other words, Ni :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get a lot of deja vu, usually from dreams that I don't particularly remember until the moment it reoccurs. Then, I can usually have foresight for a few seconds into the future, but that's it.

It's usually something useless isn't it? I do this a lot actually. I remember one time I had a dream about seeing a particular window, and the next day I saw that window. I had never seen it before. I do it all the time, but it's nothing significant, it's just random. I've always wondered what this was. Anyone have any info or anything? I've talked to a lot of people (intuitives in general) and they say they experience this.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Since I've been in college I have managed to avoid all parties that have been busted by the cops. I have been at many of these, but I leave right before that happens. And, yes, I did have a certain "feeling" that this was going to happen.

I also have moments of extended deja vu. They last so long that I know what is going to happen next....and it does. The crazy part, however, is that realizing the deja vu and reacting to knowing what happens is always part of what actually happens and what I know will happen..... like it's a loop that's never going to break. That really freaks me out.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah...this is a topic that I've never been able to relate to.

Not psychic, no aspects of deja vu that go beyond what pretty much everyone on the planet would experience as deja vu now and then.

I'm often able to predict what someone is going to do, or how they will react, etc, but I don't see anything miraculous about that - to me it's just a result of my observing people/things, noticing patterns in their overall behavior/persona, and connecting the dots. But I'm definitely wrong sometimes. I've never fully understood why there was a need to bring mysticism into a definition of Ni. I think it can just confuse people as to what Ni really is, and really does.

What others have mentioned in this thread - predicting events, etc - I don't feel should be tied to INFJ/NF per se. I think some of these phenomena should be kept apart from mbti. Perhaps as another personality attribute/'talent', if you will.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
my own telling of the future is only based on understanding how people and groups work. its not even unconscious, its just too far away from language or concrete thought, so i cant be in touch with all aspects of it at the same time. if i am tuned into a message board, i could often tell that someone is going to open a new thread, or write about this or that, as soon as he reads this or that. but i have to consciously tune into a message board. no one else would ever care to pay that much attention to other users way of ticking. at the moment i don't do it myself. i would do it, if a was motivated by Fe, if i considered the board to be my family. i am not (think no one should, cause message boards are really bad families)

if Ni was unconscious, i would have no consciousness at all :D

on the other hand i did have plenty dreams (at night, early morning) that predicted totally profane things, like someone ringing at the door asking something about a car, that is in the way, but is not mine and was not there the evening before, so its hard to tell how i could have foreseen it, unless i just had an subconscious awareness of my surroundings, as other people must have been bothered by that car earlier.

btw: there is also classic intuition: you see (but don't notice) that someones else cars tire is brittle. later you are asked to drive with him. you have a bad feeling. an accident happens, because the tire bursts. you are like "i felt that coming"

i am confident, that this happens to sensing types even more often or at least just as often than to intuitive types. they have the gut feeling and instinct and (unconscious) photogenic memory. send them to the jungle.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my own telling of the future is only related on understanding how people and groups work. its not even unconscious, its just to far away from language or concrete thought to be in touch with all aspects of it at the same time. if i am tuned into a message board, i could often tell that someone is going to open a new thread, or write about this or that, as soon as he reads this or that.

but if Ni was unconscious, i would have no consciousness at all :D

on the other hand i did have dreams (at night, early morning) that predicted totally profane things, like someone ringing at the door asking something about a car, that is in the way, but is not mine and was not there the evening before, so its hard to tell how i could have foreseen it, unless i just had an subconscious awareness of my surroundings, as other people must have been bothered by that car earlier.

btw: there is also classic intuition: you see that someones else cars tire is brittle. later you are asked to drive with him. you have a bad feeling. an accident happens, because the tire bursts. you are like "i felt that coming"

i am confident, that this happens to sensing types even more often than to intuitive types. they have the gut feeling and instinct and (unconscious) photogenic memory

Yes, I think you're onto something.

That's the other way things can get tangled up -- various definitions and meanings of 'intuition'.

In the everyday sense, intuition CAN have more mystical connotations (although as you say, it very well could just boil down to unconscious photogenic memory, or any number of other things), and I agree w/ you that sensing types can/would experience it just as much as N types. But this definition/aspect of intuition isn't speaking to Cognitive processes and mbti definition of intuition.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've heard alot of places that say INFJ's can have have psychic abilities, are there any real expirences/arguments to this tune? Has this been proven/disproven, have an explanation...personal stories welcomed and appreciated :)

Yup, my infj mom is psychic... she'd deny it, but I know better.

If I'm having a really really bad day, she'll call and say, "Hey, is everything alright? For some reason I'm worried about you." She gets these premonitions about things. She predicted the college I would end up in before I entered high school (it was a small comment like "You know, I think one of my daughters will end up here someday.") She was watching TV during the presidential primaries and when Obama came up said, "This is going to be our next president" (and for the rest of the election she kept writing that comment off as a moment of insanity because she was a Clinton-turned-McCain fan. I know better :alttongue:).

Also, she sees people's souls. Or feels them... or something. She can tell if you're a liar/cheater/lame person instantly.

So, I have no proof. It could all be just luck, but I personally think she's got one hell of a sixth sense. ;)

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Physics INFJs? Yeah I know one or two.

Although they usually gravitate towards the social sciences.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm no an INFJ, but I've had the whole flashing moments in dreams that then turn into deja-vus later. Left me drained, so I eventually 'turned' that part of my brain off, as it was also useless info. I've also done the whole I-know-who's-calling thing, as well as the sensing that my bf in Norway is feeling bad, which ended up in me calling him out of the blue. Also do the whole 'gut' reflex, aka knowing something is off and deciding accordingly. Dunno if that's psychic though. And some would consider empathy psychic as well, but the more I learn here about MBTI, the less I consider it psychic really.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I feel a deep connection with an INFJ...The other day I was driving back through town..and I NEVER, hardly Ever, go through this one intersection because it's such a pain..congested with traffic and construction, etc. Instead I go through a business park as a shortcut...
Well, as I approached that area to get through town, I get this 'inner message' urging me to go to the intersection...I was like "What? No!" I have to say it was peculiar to me as I just don't get these types of inner messages.
Well, as I got closer it came back stronger...so that I actually started to feel really uncomfortable with my decision to go the shortcut. So I said "OK, I'll go!" Then I was, to myself"Why am I doing this? I don't have any reason to do this!"

I get to the stoplight...turn right...Just as soon as I turn right, There she is in her vehicle, Right in front of me!" I don't quite know how to evaluate this happening.

Any ideas?

I am not psychic.

sade

Yeah...this is a topic that I've never been able to relate to.

Not psychic, no aspects of deja vu that go beyond what pretty much everyone on the planet would experience as deja vu now and then.

I'm often able to predict what someone is going to do, or how they will react, etc, but I don't see anything miraculous about that - to me it's just a result of my observing people/things, noticing patterns in their overall behavior/persona, and connecting the dots. But I'm definitely wrong sometimes. I've never fully understood why there was a need to bring mysticism into a definition of Ni. I think it can just confuse people as to what Ni really is, and really does.

That'd be me as well.
I'm good at predicting patterns, and what's going to happen.. But nothing beyond that.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's most likely unconsciously predicting patterns through intuition, and the user getting freaked out by it.