• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] intuition and listening skills

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes. The more iNtuitive you are, the more likely you are to be daydreaming when a person tries to talk to you. :p

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, but I don't think intuition causes you to be a good listener. I think being a good listener causes you to be intuitive.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Fi makes you a good listener to those who share you values. You can actually give an echo that is related to how someone feels agent towards his situation. You may catalyze motivations like euphoria, courage, rage. They would call you empathic, even if you don't understand a thing. You have touched them, they love you.

Fe makes you a good listener to those who feel like they usually can not be themselves, can not confront their doubts, because they have to pretend to be strong. You cant produce the illusion that you feel with them, but you can make them recall who they are. You could make room for their Fi, by creating a friendly Fe space, albeit the space you create is meant for a different purpose: You want to make room so the vision of character becomes more clearly, especially if Ni is your neighbor function, you may rather dim down strong emotions, if they cause/express projections. What would be the most authentic move?

Encouraging people to be authentic is often like leaving them alone, especially if they have no chance of getting close to an authentic vision about them selves. Therefore you are not so likely to get the title of an empath (Someone who makes people feel good). But a lot of people will be thankful that they can be themselves around you.

Both sensing and extroverted intuition could try to put an emphasis on the current moment. Be more practical, focus only on the very next steps, you can do it. (whatever you feel like)

Intuition means, that you may understand what they are talking about. So yeah, if a person is in doubt about their character and way, then Intuition (but most of all experience and depth) is needed. If someone is just desperate about how he is being mobbed in school, a sensing type (of average depth/experience) might do a good job.

if you are introverted and have a wrong idea about your functions, as is common in mbti, this will not make sense to you.
if you are enfj you may relate to what i said about Fe, but you are likely able to add some superficial pretentious but functional motivational skills as well.
but enfp are the best natural motivators/catalysts, unless your Fi is so unconscious, that they start to judge you for not being motivated enough in the first place

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Yes. The more iNtuitive you are, the more likely you are to be daydreaming when a person tries to talk to you. :p

haha yes, that's how I would see it too lol. I try to be a good listener, but sometimes I am far away in my own head.

Then again my creative writing teacher, when teaching us about dialogue said that it is a very rare conversation indeed in which both parties are paying equal attention to the dialogue in question.

Most people are either relating the conversation to situations in their past, or are already leaping ahead ignoring the rest of the issue with a plan ready to present at the end of the so called good listening question.

She said, and I agree, that people can appear to be good listeners, but in reality you can't see what is going on in their head or whether the person needing to be listened to, actually holds 100% of the other persons attention.

People think I am a good listener, but I spazz out often, they just don't know about it.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
in my head i am not where i am supposed to be, not necessarily because i am away, but because i try to take people apart. (NiFe)
that's often not what they are doing (to themselves), when sharing.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
People think I am a good listener, but I spazz out often, they just don't know about it.

Ahhhh yes, I definitely do this too and then feel majorly guilty.

I think intuition definitely helps me to be a good listener, although the idea that it's the other way around is interesting. Of course it's best when feeling is involved as well, but I've definitely had conversations where I wasn't feeling with the other person and yet I could understand their mindset and what they wanted me to say next, and I could understand how best to phrase what I actually planned to say in order to achieve the desired effect.

Not sure if that's intuition exactly, but I think it is?

ETA: Hmm, never mind, that sounds like something a sensor would be able to do as well. Can anyone clarify the difference between how sensing and intuition help your listening skills?

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
While people are talking, my N is taking the kernel of what they are saying and expanding it into a thousand possibilities, some of which may be related to what they are saying and some of which not. I take a ton of notes when people are talking, but I'm not writing down what they are saying, but instead writing down what my N is throwing out based on what they are saying.

I think that is generally why there is confusion when I open my mouth after someone else is done talking. :D

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
no. it's mainly dependent on whether i want to get in their pantiez or not.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It totally depends on what you're listening to.

Is it someone giving instructions on repairing your broken engine valve? Or is it existentialist philosophy?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most people are either relating the conversation to situations in their past, or are already leaping ahead ignoring the rest of the issue with a plan ready to present at the end of the so called good listening question.

Wow, I never thought about that. Now that you said that I can totally see how this is true in so many cases. In cases where I can relate its more of a conversation and not a problem. The strange thing is that for me I notice this more with Fi instead of Ti. If my Ti can relate I get into I can fix this mode or just get bored and ignore everything which I do if I cant relate also with Ti.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but I don't think intuition causes you to be a good listener. I think being a good listener causes you to be intuitive.

I think this is totally true

Actually, it's far too pithy.

I've had people try to listen well, they had the intent.
They just happened to not be good cognitive listeners.
They hear data. They don't know how to understand or process it.

Therefore the info they got out of the conversation really sucked.
If they had been more naturally intuitive, they could have gotten far more meaning out of what was said.

But I also agree with this: :alttongue:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
of course not - get over yourselves, people:alttongue:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that N makes some people bad listeners because they 'intuit' their own implications to your words and leap to conclusions rather than actually listening to you. Maybe an N wouldn't be bothered by this but I am (especially when they're usually wrong...).

Although most people are bad listeners anyway. Ns and Ss are probably bad listeners in different ways.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that N makes some people bad listeners because they 'intuit' their own implications to your words and leap to conclusions rather than actually listening to you. Maybe an N wouldn't be bothered by this but I am (especially when they're usually wrong...).

Although most people are bad listeners anyway. Ns and Ss are probably bad listeners in different ways.

See why i'm in love with this woman's mind? :wubbie:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't really think they're related.

From my limited data and experience, there are N's who are phenomenal listeners, and I really know they're focusing on and integrating what I'm saying, and N's who are lousy listeners and who I don't think pay attention to half of what I say. Same goes for S's.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

this.
I know it is true because I've done it, too. The intuition from what I read someone as saying crowds out the actual words (with different meaning) that they utter.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yep.

Nope.

Yep.