• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I hate school.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
(Dunno where to put this. Seems more personal than academic to me. ;) )

I hate college! Classrooms have never suited me, traditional learning has never made me anything but bitter. I am not smarter for all the years I have passed through the damnable system, just incredibly depressed and prejudiced towards things I once loved. I write so many essays, so many papers, that the thought of writing just one more makes me cry. No, I am not joking, tears are cascading down my cheeks as I sit down to write this 350 word "proof by reason" essay. Can something so short really even be called an essay? I do not know but it is the first "paper" I am sitting down to write this semester, I am completely repulsed by it. Oh lord, how will I make it through this time. I just want to drop everything and run from my campus. The people are lovely, I have never been bullied and nobody but lovesick dogs bother me. It is not as though I wish to avoid the people in particular, it is just the whole setup. What is wrong with me? Nobody understands my intense dislike of schooling. We all have the fleeting dislike of homework on occasion, but my very soul repels the thought of picking up another assignment. I doubt that so many people feel this awful at the prospect of doing another mundane problem, or perhaps they have been whipped completely into submission. It can work for some people, obviously, but what about those of us that are not fulfilled by the one system?

I do not know, maybe something is terribly wrong with my mind. Diagnose me, please.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Idk, but if you find a solution, I would love to hear it.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. You are not the only one to have ever felt this way.

2. Why are you in college if you hate it so much?

3. Is what you are studying something you hate? If so, why put so much time into something you no interest in?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm only in 10th grade..I have two and a half more years of HS, than over 6 years of college ahead..fear not, Clover! It will all pay off, and you will look back and see is simply as a great thing that you have accomplished.

G

Glycerine

I hate school a lot too but I try to look at how it will benefit me in the long run. More possibilities and doors tend to open up if you do well in school.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
1. You are not the only one to have ever felt this way.

I know that, but I have never found anyone who could relate to me.

2. Why are you in college if you hate it so much?

Parents, society, "you need a degree or you a phailure~"

3. Is what you are studying something you hate? If so, why put so much time into something you no interest in?

I'm "studying" liberal arts, I don't have any interest in majoring in anything at all. Everything to do with studying is just a pain in the ass. :doh:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I flunked (dunno the correct english term) two years in college because I hate it so much. I've thought about dropping out numerous times. I have come to the conclusion, though, that I need to prove to myself I can finish this plate of rancid food and still smile about it in the end.

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
It seems to be a situation of the happiness of your future self vs. your present self. I mean, if you stay in school and get a good degree, studies show you will be paid more, have a more steady job, and generally be happier (Western studies, of course), but your present self has to suffer through the misery. However, if you want to take the stance of living in the here-and-now and making the most of time and life, you will live for your present self.
Now comes the hard decision of choosing which self is more important.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It seems to be a situation of the happiness of your future self vs. your present self. I mean, if you stay in school and get a good degree, studies show you will be paid more, have a more steady job, and generally be happier (Western studies, of course), but your present self has to suffer through the misery. However, if you want to take the stance of living in the here-and-now and making the most of time and life, you will live for your present self.
Now comes the hard decision of choosing which self is more important.

Though it apparently works for you, positively affecting outward decision-making by virtue of statistics isn't as simple for others. By god, we wouldn't have this thread to post in and give each other advice.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
So college degree equals a good job and more money. I won't be completely foolish and say that I don't need it, but what if that's just not your biggest concern in life? I don't want a career, the standard definition of happiness just doesn't apply to me. Spending the rest of my life trapped in some job does not appeal to me anymore than going to class does. Why does not going to college equal misery? What guarantee is there that I will get through this misery and find a bright happy future in life?

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Why does not going to college equal misery? What guarantee is there that I will get through this misery and find a bright happy future in life?

IT DOESN'T! A career may make one person happy, but like you said, the idea of a life-long job doesn't sound fun. So follow your heart. It'll make you happy.

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Though it apparently works for you, positively affecting outward decision-making by virtue of statistics isn't as simple for others. By god, we wouldn't have this thread to post in and give each other advice.

It's not all about following the status-quo. I've found that a lot of times it's better to not follow statistics.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The INFPs I know hated everything about school, even though they were quite proficient in it. The same things they hated also bothered me when I was in school, but I think INTPs can tolerate it more.

If you want to avoid formal schooling, I think it's important to strategize and carve out a way to support yourself through some kind of occupation that doesn't require a degree.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
The INFPs I know hated everything about school, even though they were quite proficient in it. The same things they hated also bothered me when I was in school, but I think INTPs can tolerate it more.

If you want to avoid formal schooling, I think it's important to strategize and carve out a way to support yourself through some kind of occupation that doesn't require a degree.

Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers to earn grades.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Though I can in no way compare myself to him (I am hardly a self-motivated learner. Well I used to be until school killed my lust for writing and reading, HAHA! My spirit is so weak), that quote is just golden.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
If you hate college so much, I would imagine that you'll hate most of the job opportunities it opens up too. Maybe you could save your parents money and let someone else who does want to go to college take your place by finding some sort of job which you both enjoy and pays well. It's hard, but they're out there.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Though I can in no way compare myself to him (I am hardly a self-motivated learner. Well I used to be until school killed my lust for writing and reading, HAHA! My spirit is so weak), that quote is just golden.

You might really like one of those hippie colleges, like Evergreen State or Hampshire, where there are no grades or tests, just projects you get to design. They actually attract really good professors, because of the amount of academic freedom they get.

That quote reminds me of the one I used for my senior yearbook thing:
"Don't let school get in the way of your education."
- Mark Twain

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if it doesn't measure up to your happiness thing-a-majig then why not drop out? I mean you've given 99 reasons to leave and very few to leave. Personally I would stay, but that's me and though making more money doesn't guarantee happiness, it does help you live more comfortably, and yes you do need money to live you need it for food, shelter, clothes the nescities.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You might really like one of those hippie colleges, like Evergreen State or Hampshire, where there are no grades or tests, just projects you get to design. They actually attract really good professors, because of the amount of academic freedom they get.

- Mark Twain

Oh wow... Those look so awesome! I wish I had known about them sooner. I thought all college's were basically the same, except for the fact that some are more expensive. :laugh:

If you hate college so much, I would imagine that you'll hate most of the job opportunities it opens up too. Maybe you could save your parents money and let someone else who does want to go to college take your place by finding some sort of job which you both enjoy and pays well. It's hard, but they're out there.

My parents don't want to stop wasting their money, and it's a community college, there's room for everyone. It's not exclusive. :alttongue:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers to earn grades.

School is all about the slip of paper you get. The learning is only a bonus, that you aren't guaranteed to get.

- Mark Twain

Great quotes. I love to throw them at stuck up Js.