• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] infp thinking?

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
you ever get this, when you go to class say at college and just by virtue of walking into the room you suddenly know what everyone feels about you i mean that is an exaggeration but seriously

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually have an idea of it, and from the idea I have I can change it to something acceptable if it already isn't.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you ever get this, when you go to class say at college and just by virtue of walking into the room you suddenly know what everyone feels about you i mean that is an exaggeration but seriously

I got this feeling, but it was back when I was pretty insecure. I bet I was wrong more often than not.

Truth is, when you walk into the room usually people just glance at you and then quickly forget you exist. (Not YOU specifically, but people in general.)

musingpandora

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFP but honestly, I think that is just our perception of the looking glass self. We see people percieving us in the way that we feel others percieve us. If that makes sense? We see people taking us in and 'believe' the manner in which they take us in is a certain way. Sometimes this causes that perception to be true and sometimes it isn't.

We have a very strong internal mindset, as any introvert does, and therefore are more prone to live in our mind. So it's harder to understand the perceptions of another's mind when we are so deep routed in our own.

Don't get me wrong- I walk into a room and think people are percieving me in a certain way too. But most of that is feeding off my own insecurity and not the reality. Just as Udog said for his own past.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OOH Geeze. That takes me back. It gets easier, you do get more comfy in your skin. Worst time for me was High school....bare in mind it probably isn't about you, but how they themselves feel personally about themselves. It took me years to figure that out.
It didn't make sense until a counsellor of mine told me I was empathic...and that what I was feeling wasn't all mine.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
whimsical said:
you suddenly know what everyone feels

only because you were planing to impress them punks with your lecture about paleontology?

or like automatically, before you notice the temperature, while you are just taking out the trash? dude, tell me about it!

i have written some mad stuff about it

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I got this feeling, but it was back when I was pretty insecure. I bet I was wrong more often than not.

Me too. I am still pretty insecure, but I have a better handle on external reality. Not a great one, but much better than when I was in high school or college. I had a problem with this in particular, because I project a general air of happiness, even when I am distressed (kind of like a dog, like a lab or something). I have found that being happy ticks people off, since generally people are miserable they don't like to see others being happy. I have even had a few people comment about me in this regard.

I think us INFPs have a very difficult time with this. Because we spend a majority of the time focusing on ourselves and "noticing" ourselves, I think we feel very noticed and exposed when we are out & about. However, I think other introverts are focused on themselves so don't worry about them. I'm not sure who extroverts are focused on - each other I guess. :hi:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think us INFPs have a very difficult time with this. Because we spend a majority of the time focusing on ourselves and "noticing" ourselves, I think we feel very noticed and exposed when we are out & about.
I often wonder if I come across as self absorbed....It's the truth, perhaps, 'cos I'm just so damn interesting, but you know, I don't think I'm selfish.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm an INFP but honestly, I think that is just our perception of the looking glass self. We see people percieving us in the way that we feel others percieve us. If that makes sense? We see people taking us in and 'believe' the manner in which they take us in is a certain way. Sometimes this causes that perception to be true and sometimes it isn't.

We have a very strong internal mindset, as any introvert does, and therefore are more prone to live in our mind. So it's harder to understand the perceptions of another's mind when we are so deep routed in our own.

Don't get me wrong- I walk into a room and think people are percieving me in a certain way too. But most of that is feeding off my own insecurity and not the reality. Just as Udog said for his own past.

Actually I think it was the best day of my life when I discovered not everyone sees the same way as ENFPs. My thoughts suddenly felt a lot safer. I'm not sure it was as great day when I realised people still didn't follow my thoughts when they were verbalised though :).

Cosimo

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah I get that. I try to tell myself just because I think I know, doesn't mean I do. People still surprise me when challenged.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i think it's paranoia, but who knows maybe I'm right. now I'm paranoid about whether or not I'm paranoid.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
i think it's paranoia, but who knows maybe I'm right. now I'm paranoid about whether or not I'm paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Better to be paranoid and not need to be, than oblivious and gutted like a fish.

Always carry a weapon.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Better to be paranoid and not need to be, than oblivious and gutted like a fish.

Always carry a weapon.

( )//\\//\\//\\//\\|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Too flashy...A good folder less than 3 1/2 inches long will work, or perhaps a concealed carry permit for a handgun. At least while walking around town.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just carry around a printed copy of my avatar. Seems to work.

EmilyINFP

MBTI Type
INFP
It's funny, I think I can usually tell really well how other people feel about each other... but when it comes to how they feel about me, it is so much harder.