• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP v. INFP

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love being left alone with my imagination. Get back!

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hmmmm. Well. I love being with ENFPs, so lemme try and compare the two.

Earlier someone said something about INFPs being more negative. Well, that's kinda true. That doesn't mean we're emo, but when we're unhappy we KNOW it. And it affects us. The emotions are more stressed because we take more time to sort them out. So even though an INFP can be a happy fun-loving person, they can also be moody just because their emotions are out-of-synch. Inner harmony is muy importante.

ENFPs are much better at keeping their emotions under wraps. They're also much more confident with others, more likely to say what they're thinking than an INFP, and take more risks. They're also very conscientious of others, which INFPs are as well, but ENFPs instead try and keep the group connected and happy while an INFP would try to say the "right thing" so as not to offend anyone.

Yeah, that's my experience, anyway.

heart

heart on fire
Fi is a beast.

That is all.

:D Ne is the gabby, scattered pixie that gets me into trouble.:D

another ENFP said:
Am I only ENFP who feels like clown? Where does all that enthusiasm comes from, fuck, even when I am severely depressed I act so cheerful.

Even when I am feeling very happy and calm, extroverts and people with Fe will accuse me of being depressed.

ENFPs are generally more confident than INFPs though INFPs themselves don't give themselves enough credit when it comes to confidence. ENFPs can let go of things much more easily (except when it hits the Fi nerve, then again, INFPs and ENFPs react similarly).

There's an overwhelming sense for me, always, of not being able to extrovert out into the world what is inside of me and of never being on the outside all that I feel I am capable of or need to be, of finding it very hard to be in the moment. These things make me less confident in the external world, but I am more confident inside myself than I am with my abilities in the extenal world, if that makes sense?

Mukiko

I am usually well aware of my emotions and terrible at wrapping them.
I hate wrapping them up, I need them to be on the outside so I can handle them and I need them to still stay inside just a little bit, so I can decide on what to do about them.

When I was a kid I kept them inside and couldn't control them, and at best/worse they came out during an attempt to critizise me or argue with me. Then, I'd snap.
I was always a loner as a kid.

I think being E/I is two phases going in and outside of eachother all the time. I don't seem to have a fixed point.

Best wishes Gtzk

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ENFP = people
INFP = thoughts

That's my lame take on it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's an overwhelming sense for me, always, of not being able to extrovert out into the world what is inside of me and of never being on the outside all that I feel I am capable of or need to be, of finding it very hard to be in the moment. These things make me less confident in the external world, but I am more confident inside myself than I am with my abilities in the extenal world, if that makes sense?

This is how I am with my thoughts.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I´m quite interested in this comparison. Firstly to know myself, but also to see the fact that INFPs are quite different. It makes sense that they should be. Why have 16 types if two are the same? An ENTP and an INTP are so clearly different, and an ESFP and ISFP also. So why shouldn´t it be the same way with us? It is the same sort of function switch.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ENFP and my brother is an INFP. The biggest difference between us is probably how quickly we change.

I get to see him only about once every six months or so, and he always comments that it's like meeting a completely new person. My brother, on the other hand, only seems to become more and more like himself.

It's like he spends the six months deepening and fleshing out his personality while I spend that time getting bored, then calling everything under the sun into question, and then adapting myself to the fascinating new junk I've discovered.

:D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I think there are two kinds of INFPs -

INFPs who are clearly Fi dom and introverted
INFPS who are more extroverted and cheerful

THANK YOU - put me in the cheerful category! :smile:

INFPs are much more likely to think and even agonize about 'being nice' and quicker and more likely to forgive.

I agree with this.

ENFP = people
INFP = thoughts

Nah, that's not quite it. I interact with and think about people all the time and want to make connections with them.

I do think this may be due to a difference between being a 4 wing vs a 9 wing INFP.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have nothing to add except LL you are not INFP if you are then the world has ended and turned inside out and soon purple volcanoes spewing green lava will be birthed from the poles.

I tend to think alot of what ENFPs say but I usually don't say it, and will only ask inapporiate questions if I'm comfortable with the person.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
having an INFP mother (for that other thread, i mistyped her), our differences are usually distinguished by which channels of communication we're talking in.

i am quick to talk about ideas and resolves whereas she seems to be more concrete at times. she also sometimes breaks my concentration by saying off topic things that are related to sensible things (such as commenting on shoes, weather, general objects or appointments in the near future), which bothers me to no end.

she seems rigid in some of her statements, but can easily be convinced otherwise once i start drawing out the big picture. she's also very caring, whereas i usually don't care at all. i get the impression sometimes that she only wants to talk to me out of maternal love and not for the things i have to say. i'm sure i'm not too far off.

ENFP = people
INFP = thoughts

funny, i think it's the other way around.

saxman

MBTI Type
INFP
One think I've noticed is reflecting back at relationships, INFPs tend to remember the good things about the relationship (aside from any hurt feels, of course), and tend to collect little keepsakes along the way to help cement the good memories.

ENFPs tend to do the opposite, and remember the bad things about the relationship, and collect items that reinforce those those memories.

I think both of these are defense mechanisms.

Chloe

One think I've noticed is reflecting back at relationships, INFPs tend to remember the good things about the relationship (aside from any hurt feels, of course), and tend to collect little keepsakes along the way to help cement the good memories.

ENFPs tend to do the opposite, and remember the bad things about the relationship, and collect items that reinforce those those memories.

I think both of these are defense mechanisms.

True. :yes:

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Two of the INFPs I know really hoard things. I wonder if it belongs to the indecisive part of INFPs. Is this a typical INFP thing, or is it just a strong P thing?

I do really like the INFPs in my life. There are three of them in total. I feel ... comfortable with them. They are sort of like me, but a little bit different which adds interest.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
ENFP & INFP must be different, but I do get a touchy-feely sense when I read ENFP posts. It's similar for INFJ posts, and as for INTPs I get... thinky-tingly! :happy:

My probably not that correct or valid, but what I sense so far, thoughts:

ENFP: more practical (than INFP, not necessarily compared to other types)
INFP: less practical (than ENFP, not necessarily compared to other types)

ENFP: more visible (mohawk, in a neon color)
INFP: less visible (mullet: business in the front, party in the back. :D )

ENFP: more optimistic (than INFP)
INFP: less optimistic (than ENFP; more prone to bouts of darkness)

ENFP: more easy-going (why so serious?)
INFP: more serious (srsly)

ENFP: more exposed (less secrets, or aspects of self that are not revealed to the world)
INFP: more hidden (more secrets, or aspects of self that are not visible to the world)

Two of the INFPs I know really hoard things. I wonder if it belongs to the indecisive part of INFPs. Is this a typical INFP thing, or is it just a strong P thing?

Sometimes I forget what is type 4 and what is INFP, so please forgive me if this is not INFP but instead type 4. My type likes to hold onto certain emotions, and has trouble separating their sense of self from their emotions. For me, I do hoard certain things, but not everything. For example, I hoard music. Any mood I am in, however nuanced, I have music that will sustain that exact mood. Whatever mood I want to get into, I have music that will transport me from the mood I am in, to that other mood. Also, I do keep things from my past, that are linked to my past. For example, school was a big part of who I am, so I still have all my papers I wrote, going back to junior high. These things help remind me of who I am, when I get lost...

I haven't been in many relationships, so I hadn't noticed this as a trend, but thinking about it yes I have a few items from past relationships (not just "relationships" but also from friendships) that I keep because of that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
those are good points speculative. i actually don't feel that extraverted in the traditional or commonly thought of idea about it but i am certainly more those ways that you described...more out there..more blunt...very optimistic and easy going...i don't know how practical i am but i don't know any infps to compare myself to in that regard.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I do really like the INFPs in my life. There are three of them in total. I feel ... comfortable with them. They are sort of like me, but a little bit different which adds interest.
Total hoarder here :yes: . I really struggle to throw stuff away. I have this little voice in side me that says "That's important - keep it" or, "You might need this one day" or, "This will be good for future nostalgic purposes". It starts to become ridiculous though. I think its result of the INFP inclination to search for/find meaning in everything. And how can you chuck something away if it is/feels significant?

ENFP & INFP must be different, but I do get a touchy-feely sense when I read ENFP posts. It's similar for INFJ posts, and as for INTPs I get... thinky-tingly! :happy:

My probably not that correct or valid, but what I sense so far, thoughts:

ENFP: more practical (than INFP, not necessarily compared to other types)
INFP: less practical (than ENFP, not necessarily compared to other types)

ENFP: more visible (mohawk, in a neon color)
INFP: less visible (mullet: business in the front, party in the back. :D )

ENFP: more optimistic (than INFP)
INFP: less optimistic (than ENFP; more prone to bouts of darkness)

ENFP: more easy-going (why so serious?)
INFP: more serious (srsly)

ENFP: more exposed (less secrets, or aspects of self that are not revealed to the world)
INFP: more hidden (more secrets, or aspects of self that are not visible to the world)
I think this is pretty accurate, but slightly depressing, portrait. I am aware, however, that the fact I find it depressing only further confirms it :D

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm either an INFP with a really strong Ne or an ENFP with a really strong Fi. I'm trying to figure out which one is more accurate.

Let me phrase it like this: I act more like an INFP when alone/stressed/pissed off and more like an ENFP when with people/content.

Eh, does that make any sense? No? Okay, thought not....

Thinking through my thoughts - eh, sounds pretty extraverted to me...but I can be really introverted too...I think it's the whole E/I being 55/45 thing...or whatever it is.

I'm definitely crazy though. My husband tells me about 10 times a day. Then again, I tell him the same thing. MUHAHAHAH! :devil:

^ Not sure what that has to do with it - oh yeah, being crazy. I'm either an eccentric INFP or a quiet/emotional/worried ENFP...if that's possible...hmm....well, whatever...

I think you are an INFP. I read somewhere that INFP's can become ENFP's when they are with people they are really confident with, like close friends, and this is true for me, a definite INFP.
Sorry to confuse you, I know a couple of others thought you were ENFP. You'll work it out, I'm sure.
Have you answered to yourself one of the fundamental E vs I questions, that is, would you rather go to a party surrounded by people, or stay at home and read a book? Also, been on The Personality Page There's a brief description of E vs I, S vs N and the rest.

Chloe

I think this is pretty accurate, but slightly depressing, portrait. I am aware, however, that the fact I find it depressing only further confirms it :D

I agree its accurate, ... and that your depression confirms it :D lol

but i dont agre about exposed part, not all ENFPs are so much exposed like they look like :p