• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] TIME ALONE

sculpting

explain the diff between introverted and extroverted. introverts need be alone to recharge and extroverts need to be around others to recharge.

I think that is a really simplistic example but it does okay to explain th difference

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
explain the diff between introverted and extroverted. introverts need be alone to recharge and extroverts need to be around others to recharge.

I think that is a really simplistic example but it does okay to explain th difference

I have a bit of a problem understanding this whole "recharging" business. I mean, what's recharging anyway?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it is misleading for types like ENFP who need quite a bit of alone time. I think the farther down your internal judging factor is the less time you need alone. EJ are huge social people and need people to survive. The stronger your Fe/Te the more you need people. Now EPs have a perceiving function as thier dominant so to them recharging might be more listening to people. One example is an ENFP with an ENFJ. The ENFJ takes charge and the ENFP spends more time in listen mode, just laughing and having a good time. There still is interaction, but they are not the person taking charge. ENFP enjoys listening and taking things in from social situations. Now take me who is dominant Ti and auxilary Se. I need social interaction and I prefer to be more of an observant, just taking in, not interacting nearly as much.

EPs like to be at the party, but not the life of the party. I think its more along the lines of becoming excited(I know theres a better word) instead of recharging. EJs become excited to be the center of attention, EPs get excited just being there and dont need to be the center.

Atleast this is my understanding

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think it is misleading for types like ENFP who need quite a bit of alone time. I think the farther down your internal judging factor is the less time you need alone. EJ are huge social people and need people to survive. The stronger your Fe/Te the more you need people. Now EPs have a perceiving function as thier dominant so to them recharging might be more listening to people. One example is an ENFP with an ENFJ. The ENFJ takes charge and the ENFP spends more time in listen mode, just laughing and having a good time. There still is interaction, but they are not the person taking charge. ENFP enjoys listening and taking things in from social situations. Now take me who is dominant Ti and auxilary Se. I need social interaction and I prefer to be more of an observant, just taking in, not interacting nearly as much.

EPs like to be at the party, but not the life of the party. I think its more along the lines of becoming excited(I know theres a better word) instead of recharging. EJs become excited to be the center of attention, EPs get excited just being there and dont need to be the center.

Atleast this is my understanding

Well you might be partially right but....I dunno, I like being the center of attention, I have to admit. But not all the time, and certainly not at the expense of the group's overall enjoyment, if that makes sense.

Yes, I guess being with people I like, even if I don't utter a single word, makes me happy. But I'm prone to feeling compelled to seek seclusion after a while depending on the day. I think it's because I either give my all or nothing when socializing. I'm either berserk or calm as a buddhist.

I dunno, I think I don't have the self-conscious skills to explain what I mean just yet.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well you might be partially right but....I dunno, I like being the center of attention, I have to admit. But not all the time, and certainly not at the expense of the group's overall enjoyment, if that makes sense.

Yes, I guess being with people I like, even if I don't utter a single word, makes me happy. But I'm prone to feeling compelled to seek seclusion after a while depending on the day. I think it's because I either give my all or nothing when socializing. I'm either berserk or calm as a buddhist.

I dunno, I think I don't have the self-conscious skills to explain what I mean just yet.

I see what your saying, When I think of center of attention I think of more EJ where they take control and end up leading where things go, maybe im just used to being with a very strong Fe so my perception of center of attention maybe kinda skewed.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I see what your saying, When I think of center of attention I think of more EJ where they take control and end up leading where things go, maybe im just used to being with a very strong Fe so my perception of center of attention maybe kinda skewed.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact verbalizing Ne (as possibilities that due to their ingenuity or outrageousness excite others) is more about "putting it out there" while verbalizing Xe is more about judging whether or not something is good for the group (Fe/Te inherently "leading" functions for different reasons).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe it has something to do with the fact verbalizing Ne (as possibilities that due to their ingenuity or outrageousness excite others) is more about "putting it out there" while verbalizing Xe is more about judging whether or not something is good for the group (Fe/Te inherently "leading" functions for different reasons).

I notice that with INTP types. They like to "put things out there" also to see how others think and use alone time to process it, I guess in your case its how it makes you feel and how they feel. Is it kinda like feeling them out. Trying to find the good and the bad to get an idea of where to tread? Kinda like building a model of who that person is getting past what is on the outside and seeing what is inside.

Maybe im going to far with this, Hopefully im not derailing this thread.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
you sound normal to me. i need space, always. if i start to feel crowded in i get freaky (sometimes even down right nasty). oddly this goes for my kids and husband. truly extroverted people do not understand this (usually too busy socializing to notice) so you need to sit them down and explain it to them. one of the first things i consciously taught our children is how to respect others personal space. I even showed them the line that should be observed, lol (seinfeld episode vaguely springs to mind).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
everyone does need to disengage now and then so that they can sort out what they want and remember where they are going, prioritize, slow down and reboot, determine what is important to them, etc.

i think introverts need it more desperately bc it is in this alone time that they feel most themselves. the rest seems like they are putting on a performance which requires them to get into costume and wear masks and takes them away from the space where they are most freely expressive.

at times i find the compromising and balancing and anticipating the needs of others to be utterly exhausting and just not worth it. but then i'll re-charge and no longer be clouded by my megalomaniac dogmatic tyrannical and downright stubborn sense of Self (so afraid of getting overshadowed!). other times i'll just realize i need something my friends can't give me in this state- and just relax and let time sort it out. a gesture or two to keep things going goes a long way towards making this work.