• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] how to eliminate boredom in life?

are you often bored with your "so-so" life?

• yes, very much, and I often show it blatantly to others!

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • yes, very much, but I rarely show it to other people

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • sometimes,.but it's getting worse from time to time

• sometimes,.but I'm often just trying to enjoy it!..

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • very rarely, 'cuz I LOVE my current life! (please post ur life-story below)

• very rarely, because either have no time to think, or I'm a very simple person

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • NEVER!! I never got bored with my Life!!

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
GZA, although you bring up some very good points (which kinda made me pause to think & ponder, honestly) , but my conclusion is the the same as what SuperServal said above.. it is exactly my problem too: with work consumes around 3/4th of our life, how could it not be "part" of our identity? especially for those kind of people who work over-time, until very late at night, and then have to get up again at morning.. I personally just can't, in a century, imagine why these people would choose to 'crush' their true identity and what they really want, and instead just put all their 'identities' into a job that they know they dislike.. if it's for money only, I would soon just resign, I don't actually care if I'll starve and stuff like that, "I will survive" , much much better than become a karoshii (death from overwork, very popular term in Japan).

Worse, is when society, and people around you just identify with you solely, purely just from what you're doing at your job/work, and that's it.
examples: have you ever come to a friends or big-family gathering, only to be asked (or concerned) with these 'boring' questions: "oh hey, so how's ur job?" and when you even half-heartedly answered "oh...yah..it's fine...i guess" , yet people KEPT ASKING you consecutively with more stuff: "oh! i heard the furniture business is now tumbling down...how do you handle that?" or "oh but it surely doesn't affect ur profits, right?" , and the climax is when some people praised me by saying "look at him, he's so succesful, will become rich, he'll definitely get married with beautiful girl, all girls will look up at him bla bla..."
sometimes I feel that I just want to yell at them and say "I'M NOT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE!!!" , because god I just hate how these people kept viewing me as my job = my identity = I LOVE my job! NO, I don't like my job, in fact, I hate it, I despise it! it's not my *true* identity.
and yet when I play music passionately (which is always been my true passion), I just really hate it when people here said things like "oh how sweet...you really have such a good hobby!"
my god...."hobby" ?? I've actually always intended to make it as my FULL-time career, but always these pragmatist people just kept saying how I should never - in my sane mind - choose Music as career, because "it'll definitely make you broke & starving" , that's what they said repeatedly always,.and yet they kept placing such a 'fake' identity in me, by viewing me as a "succesfull furniture Export manager" !

how can i not get irritated by all of that?

I see where you are coming from now. I just want to say feel ya. When I first stepped into the working world, I was very disenchanted. I wanted to be actor, not a scientist. I was rather forced into my career by other people's expectations. The thing is learning not to take on the identity that others press on you.
The greatest problem I have now, is picking something and sticking with it. I love to write, but I spend little time on it at the moment. I had several abortive atempts to change careers, but currently I'm in a job that I don't hate, so I'm reasonably contented with what I do. I also taking steps to launch an attempt into med school though, and as people have noted about me I always have several plans, I'm constantly job hopping (although that may have to stop with the current situation), and I never stand still. I'm constantly striving to adapt my job to my needs. I also plan to move to the UK at some point soon...ect, ect. The thing is to find meaning you have to go looking for it. At the moment for me the search is more fun than the potential desination, but I have never accepted that I'm just a scientist. I strive not to be seen as that. I only keep mentioning it here because of the assumption that INFP's can't use logic. I'm reasonably successful at my job, but more than that, I have a very good reputation, but no one who I care about sees me as the quintensential scientist. Actually they all see me as the artist with no time.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a very boring life, but a very exhausting one at times.
I work 24 hours a week and go to nursing school full time. That takes up about 18 hours a week of class time and 10-12 hours paperwork time and maybe 5 hours study time. So that schedule alone is busy. But then you throw in a social life and the fact that when i'm not at school or work i'm half drunk and exhausted and it seems like I'm always staying up till 5 in the morning just to relax or get things done. And then on the weekends I try to fit in time with friends that ends up being like all night escapades and still trying to stay on top of my game during the week. I also just bought a new car and moved. And got into a car accident. (No damage to my vehicle thank-God.)

Like I'll try to be fit in everything so I end up in odd situations.
Like the other day I was trying to fit a workout in cause it was a beautiful day. But I was like drunk. And there was no sidewalks. So I find myself running fast through this graveyard wasted and listening to songs with the theme death. Reflecting on people that died and admiring the trees on the sunset. I nearly had a heart attack and then I came back and got more drunk and passed out on the floor in front of the fire. Then I woke up and went grocery shopping. And I had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep the night before because my roomate kept me up talking about really random stuff. So sometimes I just feel like my life is just an odd dream.

And that is why it is not boring.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm only in High School, but I often get down because I do nearly the same thing every day, for 185 days of the year..getting up too early, going to school tired, going to work, coming home, spending 3-4 hours on homework, and getting to bed too late. I get borred with my average lifestyle, and whenever something unexpected or random happens, I am inspired and draw energy. I get depressed with the same old all the time- I need some space to experiment and move..maybe the future holds some answers, maybe not.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
GZA, although you bring up some very good points (which kinda made me pause to think & ponder, honestly) , but my conclusion is the the same as what SuperServal said above.. it is exactly my problem too: with work consumes around 3/4th of our life, how could it not be "part" of our identity? especially for those kind of people who work over-time, until very late at night, and then have to get up again at morning.. I personally just can't, in a century, imagine why these people would choose to 'crush' their true identity and what they really want, and instead just put all their 'identities' into a job that they know they dislike.. if it's for money only, I would soon just resign, I don't actually care if I'll starve and stuff like that, "I will survive" , much much better than become a karoshii (death from overwork, very popular term in Japan).

Worse, is when society, and people around you just identify with you solely, purely just from what you're doing at your job/work, and that's it.
examples: have you ever come to a friends or big-family gathering, only to be asked (or concerned) with these 'boring' questions: "oh hey, so how's ur job?" and when you even half-heartedly answered "oh...yah..it's fine...i guess" , yet people KEPT ASKING you consecutively with more stuff: "oh! i heard the furniture business is now tumbling down...how do you handle that?" or "oh but it surely doesn't affect ur profits, right?" , and the climax is when some people praised me by saying "look at him, he's so succesful, will become rich, he'll definitely get married with beautiful girl, all girls will look up at him bla bla..."
sometimes I feel that I just want to yell at them and say "I'M NOT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE!!!" , because god I just hate how these people kept viewing me as my job = my identity = I LOVE my job! NO, I don't like my job, in fact, I hate it, I despise it! it's not my *true* identity.
and yet when I play music passionately (which is always been my true passion), I just really hate it when people here said things like "oh how sweet...you really have such a good hobby!"
my god...."hobby" ?? I've actually always intended to make it as my FULL-time career, but always these pragmatist people just kept saying how I should never - in my sane mind - choose Music as career, because "it'll definitely make you broke & starving" , that's what they said repeatedly always,.and yet they kept placing such a 'fake' identity in me, by viewing me as a "succesfull furniture Export manager" !

how can i not get irritated by all of that?

I see what you are saying, Niki. I think what my post lacked was the "real world" working experience, so I did not consider how the amount of time consumed in work and such can make everyting I said more difficult than I make it out to be.

But I still think there may be ways to reduce the stress this causes through a change in perspective. I found that just sort of ignoring someones sort of... one dimensional idea of you is a good way to stay in check. Like if someone says "oh, you play music, what a nice hobby", or "you're a furniture export manager, wow" or whatever... they clearly don't really know you. Sometimes I take fun in finding out more about these people and letting them find out a bit more about me so that we seem much more real to eachother, so that maybe merely a furniture manager seems like a gross understatement of what kind of person you are. But... I'm sure that too is easier said than done in a more stressful work environment.

Perhaps my lack of major stress is caused by the fact I am only taking 3 classes in school and get to spend almost all of the rest of my spare time playing music in a social setting where i am almost universally well respected and admired by my peers :doh: