• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you need to be inspired to do things?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Haha that is funny, I will often get inspiration and then start a project and then lose the inspiration halfway through or before and then leave the project sitting on myself or saved to my computer for weeks before I finally feel the fire again... Needless to say I have a lot of half finished ideas laying around :p

Pockets I almost exploded with joy when I saw your avatar!

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Haha that is funny, I will often get inspiration and then start a project and then lose the inspiration halfway through or before and then leave the project sitting on myself or saved to my computer for weeks before I finally feel the fire again... Needless to say I have a lot of half finished ideas laying around :p

and doesn't it frustrate you so much?
it's like you have this lots of great, brilliant 'unthinkable' ideas, yet , only in the end, you've found that you're too lazy to get ANY of 'em completly done, in 'professional' way..so in the end, it means zero.
doesn't it frustate you??

argghhh... but why i kept doing this over & over!? :doh:

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
and doesn't it frustrate you so much?
it's like you have this lots of great, brilliant 'unthinkable' ideas, yet , only in the end, you've found that you're too lazy to get ANY of 'em completly done, in 'professional' way..so in the end, it means zero.
doesn't it frustate you??

argghhh... but why i kept doing this over & over!?

Hehe yeah... I keep coming up with these incredible ideas for books, and I get halfway through a summary for a skeletal structure and I have totally lost the fire for it. Maybe if I actually finished one, one day I could be rich! But somehow I dont think I will ever find out... :p

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Hehe yeah... I keep coming up with these incredible ideas for books, and I get halfway through a summary for a skeletal structure and I have totally lost the fire for it. Maybe if I actually finished one, one day I could be rich! But somehow I dont think I will ever find out... :p

..and become just an 'ordinary' person and settle-for-less, instead of harnessing your full-potential and become who you could become..

is that okay with you?
being 26-year old now, and soon going to be 27 year-old, it's definitely not okay with me, as this just means I just kept wasting time for each week, each month, and each year, until 6-full-years wasted because of nothing gets done, and "talks only".. it's really painful when i think about it..

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inspiration is the fuel that I rely on for motivation. Unfortunately, my chosen career no longer inspires me as much as it used to. To compensate, I have to promise myself lots of little "rewards" when I complete tasks which do not inspire me. Even then, it can be difficult to get motivated sometimes.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Inspiration is the fuel that I rely on for motivation. Unfortunately, my chosen career no longer inspires me as much as it used to. To compensate, I have to promise myself lots of little "rewards" when I complete tasks which do not inspire me. Even then, it can be difficult to get motivated sometimes.

so you work half-heartedly now, since you can't find any inspiration to motivate you anymore ?
a lots of tasks even got delayed, postponed, or worse, abandoned? is it?

sounds like my case now..

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so you work half-heartedly now, since you can't find any inspiration to motivate you anymore ?
a lots of tasks even got delayed, postponed, or worse, abandoned? is it?

sounds like my case now..

A lot depends on the importance of the task. If it's inessential and unmotivating then, yeah, just like you say. However, a lot of my work is to tight deadlines for court prosecutions (I'm a forensic scientist), which is a good thing because I do get motivated by time pressures (though I may put something off to the last minute - possibly to gain the maximum benefit from the adrenaline surge: "Oh My God! I have to get this finished asap!"

The other problem is getting terminally distracted by all the things I'd rather be doing (such as posting here).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti can tell me what to do all it wants, but it won't work. i can't understand what and why i ever do anything, weighing feelings and contextual clues, it would require a degree in advanced mathematics to comprehend and symbolize it.

plus, if i don't get a clear majority vote, i just keep thinking about what to do instead of choosing one and following thru.

redacted

Ti can tell me what to do all it wants, but it won't work. i can't understand what and why i ever do anything, weighing feelings and contextual clues, it would require a degree in advanced mathematics to comprehend and symbolize it.

plus, if i don't get a clear majority vote, i just keep thinking about what to do instead of choosing one and following thru.

LOL ditto. Except I don't think it requires any advanced math to understand it. In fact, I think "understanding" it actually makes it worse in a way, since you give in to the idea that you never actually follow through with anything anyway and always get stuck weighing things. Which makes you even more stuck. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm still stuck, though.

lane777

nevermore
Yeah, I usually have to psyche myself up to get anything tedious done. Or put pressure on myself by conjuring up scary images of how angry people will get if I don't accomplish what was expected. Works great.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weighing the actual scale itself, etc. (i think i'm NiTi too, by the way).

it's worst in social situations when i need to process lots of information quickly. it feels like i need more motivation and a clearer direction, which i don't have.

i've realized how divorced and withdrawn i can be, i'll just stop participating and attuning my attention to Fe and using the only extroverted process i have that is halfway decent or that can tell me anything and just go into 100% introversion mode. in which case, everything becomes disastrous and i have no idea what is going on or how to respond or respect the feelings of others bc i am 100% stuck on my own confusion. i'm trying really hard right now to figure out how to use each function effectively and when to rely on each.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More often than I like, less often than is functionally degrading. *hopes that makes sense*

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need motivation for mundane tasks, usually in the form of a deadline with real consequences. I will let dishes sit in the sink for days, leave clean clothes sitting in the laundry basket, etc, until someone tells me they are coming over and then I am running around like a mad woman cleaning things up. All of a sudden, I have motivation because I fear the embarrassment of looking like a slob.

Otherwise, I will look at those things and think, "I could do that, but first I will read for a bit, drink my coffee, check my email". I think it's very much a P thing to reward yourself first, and then do the task. When I become tired with "play" because it's not fulfilling me in certain ways or because the work hanging over my head is now interfering with my enjoyment, then I will attack the work. I get things done quickly and well when I am in the right frame of mind. If I try and force it, I am so lethargic and half-assed that it's not even worth trying. I got very good at my past jobs at faking looking busy while I really goofed off, and then I'd cram all the work in by the deadline successfully. And hey, I got it done, didn't I? :D

Inspiration is something I need for creativity (design in my case). It goes beyond the motivation of a deadline (which does help though). I need a muse. I can usually find it in other art forms, such as listening to music, looking at photography, etc. I also find I must clear my mind of practical worry so I can focus. I will go for a walk and look at the sky and trees. Then my mind is ready to create. It's a very good feeling to be in that place, but sometimes I cannot get there, or I get interrupted and can't find my way back.

I also have issues with doing things in my head first and then not wanting to do them in reality "again", but that's a different story...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I need motivation for mundane tasks, usually in the form of a deadline with real consequences. I will let dishes sit in the sink for days, leave clean clothes sitting in the laundry basket, etc, until someone tells me they are coming over and then I am running around like a mad woman cleaning things up. All of a sudden, I have motivation because I fear the embarrassment of looking like a slob.

Otherwise, I will look at those things and think, "I could do that, but first I will read for a bit, drink my coffee, check my email". I think it's very much a P thing to reward yourself first, and then do the task. When I become tired with "play" because it's not fulfilling me in certain ways or because the work hanging over my head is now interfering with my enjoyment, then I will attack the work. I get things done quickly and well when I am in the right frame of mind. If I try and force it, I am so lethargic and half-assed that it's not even worth trying. I got very good at my past jobs at faking looking busy while I really goofed off, and then I'd cram all the work in by the deadline successfully. And hey, I got it done, didn't I? :D

Inspiration is something I need for creativity (design in my case). It goes beyond the motivation of a deadline (which does help though). I need a muse. I can usually find it in other art forms, such as listening to music, looking at photography, etc. I also find I must clear my mind of practical worry so I can focus. I will go for a walk and look at the sky and trees. Then my mind is ready to create. It's a very good feeling to be in that place, but sometimes I cannot get there, or I get interrupted and can't find my way back.

I also have issues with doing things in my head first and then not wanting to do them in reality "again", but that's a different story...

This is me, exactly.

And the doing things in your head and then having to do them "again" -- yes! I think of it as the effort to cause things to materialize. I know precisely to the last detail what I'm going to do ... it's just a matter of doing it. The doing it seems incidental most of the time.