• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What do you guys think?: INFP vs. INFJ

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Very good...

Also INFJ will look like the list and smile at the "puns".
INFP will look at the list and say that is fascinating.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blasphemy! INFJ! Where is the Spanish Inquisition when you need them?

:D

I know a few negative INFPs. But it took more than a few devastations to get them that way, and they still secretly jump at the chance to be un-negative. I'm just naturally pessimistic. And have no desire to not be :)

Very good...

Also INFJ will look like the list and smile at the "puns".
I did. The play on words was pretty nice.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think I was born pessimistic. And I like to think I've turned that into realism. Preparing for the worst and expecting the best.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Preparing for the worst and expecting the best.

Sorry, that's just optimism tempered with a bit of wisdom.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Bologna. He has a house cat avatar. The real surefire way to identify an INFP.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bologna. He has a house cat avatar. The real surefire way to identify an INFP.

*thinks about anja, runv, blackcat*

Holy crap. You just blew my mind with your Truth.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

None one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

spanishinquis.jpg

:)

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
Very good list.

For me it's confusing that separating INFJ and INFP from each other would be difficult... Knowing one, we differ dramatically.

One big difference you can notice firsthand is the communication style:

INFP: There's one of those new grocery shops.
INFJ: Yeah. I saw a commercial on tv.
INFP: Are you hungry ?
INFJ: Not really. Why?
INFP: Just thought if you might be.
INFJ: Have you eaten anything today?
INFP: No.
INFJ: Do you want to go and buy something from the store?
INFP: Okay.

The way INFPs communicate seems so devious to me :D It'd take a lot of energy to formulate my communation that way... INFJs are more "take-charge" type and want to be direct (and would want others to be too). You can also notice it in the way the two types speak: INFPs have very soft, almost dream-like, monotonic speech pattern, whereas INFJs can talk with their enthusiasm, speaking faster than even their minds could handle.

INFPs usually look more elegant and their expressions are controlled, they have this almost stoic vibe to them. INFJs don't feel their emotions nearly as passionately nor deeply as INFPs, but you can read their emotional states from their faces and gestures.

INFPs are very private individuals, one of the most self-sacrificing type out there. They think in terms of good and bad and are over-the-top perfectionistic. INFPs don't share their innermost hurts with anyone, they can be excellent councelors to others but they themselves solve their feelings and thoughts best alone.

INFJs on the other hand can talk to the people they feel are worthy of that trust about stuff that bothers them and it helps the INFJ to solve their dilemmas by talking them through. Not talking about their issues will make INFJ ill.

INFPs don't pay much attention to their physical states: they may not notice they're hungry or needed to use the toilet or have a stomach ache etc. INFJs are almost hypocondric compared to INFPs: INFJs are very well aware of their physical conditions.

These are a few just more of a behavioural differences I've noticed.

G

Glycerine

Very good list.

For me it's confusing that separating INFJ and INFP from each other would be difficult... Knowing one, I think we differ dramatically.

The way INFPs communicate seems so devious to me :D It'd take a lot of energy to formulate my communation that way... INFJs are more "take-charge" type and want to be direct (and would want others to be too). You can also notice it in the way the two types speak: INFPs have very soft, almost dream-like, monotonic speech pattern, whereas INFJs can talk with their enthusiasm, speaking faster than even their minds could handle.

INFPs usually look more elegant and their expressions are controlled, they have this almost stoic vibe to them. INFJs don't feel their emotions nearly as passionately nor deeply as INFPs, but you can read their emotional states from their faces and gestures.

INFPs are very private individuals, one of the most self-sacrificing type out there. They think in terms of good and bad and are over-the-top perfectionistic. INFPs don't share their innermost hurts with anyone, they can be excellent councelors to others but they themselves solve their feelings and thoughts best alone.

INFJs on the other hand can talk to the people they feel are worthy of that trust about stuff that bothers them and it helps the INFJ to solve their dilemmas by talking them through. Not talking about their issues will make INFJ ill, making all of it sort of like pile up inside themselves, into their bodies. INFJs need to express their feelings.

INFPs don't pay much attention to their physical states: they may not notice they're hungry or needed to use the toilet or have a stomach ache etc. INFJs are almost hypocondric compared to INFPs: INFJs are very well aware of their physical conditions.

These are a few just more of a behavioural differences I've noticed.

What a great post. I find the indirect communication style to be endearing and can usually pick up on it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very good post, Tibby.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not trying to be nitpicky because I know this is all based on personal experience but...

INFPs usually look more elegant and their expressions are controlled, they have this almost stoic vibe to them.
I've been told often that I'm very elegant and stoic looking. Whereas my dad (INFP) dresses and looks plainly, smiles more often, and is much more animated.

INFJs don't feel their emotions nearly as passionately nor deeply as INFPs
Nothing could be further from the truth. My emotions are very passionate (overly so, I'd say), however I don't know if they are more or less passionate than any INFP's.

That actually sounds a lot like INFJ. Like one INFJ description I've read before, even.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the more i learn about this and think about myself, it seems to me that infjs get off on "perceptive," the like Ni flash that happens when you comprehend something and are able to understand or penetrate to the essence or core of whatever you are trying to find. get at the heart of... etc.

i am still new to this, but i feel jealous of Fi, i feel like a weatherman instead of person.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think i solve my stuff alone better bc my Fe gets to rest and i let my Ti have a shot to talk to my Ni.

i think for infps they solve their stuff alone bc they let their Si really work with their Fi, so they can sort out their true feelings. when they get too bogged down with Ne, they overthink and stew and worry and can't sleep, and bad things happen.

i don't understand how to explain the feeling of passionate emotion in infjs. infps feel, to me, like they have a greater depth of feeling, they get more information out of it, it has more colour to it, i feel grey almost in comparison, the intensity is there NO question, but the richness is more contingent, why i'm always chasing and searching for it instead of feeling it made in-house.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i am still new to this, but i feel jealous of Fi, i feel like a weatherman instead of person.

Don't be jealous of Fi. It has some pretty nasty disadvantages that come with its strengths.

Feel free to love Fi in others, though.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So does Fi seem like deeper feeling to you? I always thought Fe was because I can barely withstand the force of it in EXFJs and wonder how they can it themselves. Then again discussing Fi vs Fe in INFXs is rather interesting because depending on which system you're partial to, INFJ could be the one with Fi as one of the two leading functions, or INFP.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very good list.

For me it's confusing that separating INFJ and INFP from each other would be difficult... Knowing one, we differ dramatically.

The way INFPs communicate seems so devious to me :D It'd take a lot of energy to formulate my communation that way...
I had to laugh when I read this, because, ummm, this how I talk. Guilty as charged.
BTW it's not intentional deviousiness, it's more a desire not to put the other person out. Bare in mind, at least in my case, I'll be almost fainting with hunger at that point, otherwise I wouldn't have broched the subject at all.

I'm very animated so I'm told. Apparently you can see what I'm thinking at any given point. Elegant isn't a word you'd use to describe me, but I have been told when I make the effort I'm snappy dresser.

Also I don't think I'm what could be called stoic, however I kinda forget to eat, drink, (sleep some times), do all those bodily things, unless it's part of my set routine. I've just come realise if I think I'm sick, I usually am...bizarre I know, but you are right I as an INFP don't always know I'm sick.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to laugh when I read this, because, ummm, this how I talk. Guilty as charged.
BTW it's not intentional deviousiness, it's more a desire not to put the other person out. Bare in mind, at least in my case, I'll be almost fainting with hunger at that point, otherwise I wouldn't have broched the subject at all.

I'm very animated so I'm told. Apparently you can see what I'm thinking at any given point. Elegant isn't a word you'd use to describe me, but I have been told when I make the effort I'm snappy dresser.

Also I don't think I'm what could be called stoic, however I kinda forget to eat, drink, (sleep some times), do all those bodily things, unless it's part of my set routine. I've just come realise if I think I'm sick, I usually am...bizarre I know, but you are right I as an INFP don't always know I'm sick.

My INFP boyfriend is horrible about taking care of himself and he has NO excuse! I get so upset with him. He's a Type 1 diabetic and he flakes out on all kinds of things involving healthy self-awareness.

And I laughed at that conversation as well. That's exactly how it plays out. I insist on prying his motives out of him with a verbal crowbar.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INFP boyfriend is horrible about taking care of himself and he has NO excuse! I get so upset with him. He's a Type 1 diabetic and he flakes out on all kinds of things involving healthy self-awareness.

And I laughed at that conversation as well. That's exactly how it plays out. I insist on prying his motives out of him with a verbal crowbar.
I have people give me "you've got to take better care of your self" lecture all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of skank or something, I just kinda get lost, run out of time, distracted etc. God, I had an ex go grocery shopping for me, because he was horrified, at what he found in my cupboards! (it was along the lines of 1 can of tomatoes and not much else) And I have people cook me food all the time, which is kinda sweet. It's weird, people that know me well get much more worried about my well being, then I am myself. Seriously, I don't think I'm that much of a train wreck. Although I do burn out spectacularly from work. I probably do work too hard.

I don't think INFJ's have the same problem some how...seem much more organised, and more able to fit things into their day.