• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's - is any job EVER good enough?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Going through some of those familiar feelings again ... discontent with my work, feeling like I am not living my mission. That I have to make my job fit into some semblance of a mission just to help myself get through the days.

(And no, I'm not feeling very cheery at the moment, so it is harder to shrug this off and let the day-to-day sweep me away from these thoughts. :) )

Since this is such a recurring theme in my life, I am compelled to ask of other NF's (esp INFP's since we are supposed to be the most "idealistic") - do you feel this way about your job too from time to time? Do you find yourself always looking for something closer to an "ideal" job (that for me at least, has always just been fiction of the mind as opposed to reality?)

And, if something you do helps with this, do share. Weigh in and help lighten my load a wee bit today if you can.

Jon Quixote

MBTI Type
INFP
A friend on these boards linked me here as a way to poke me for saying things like this at times. Since nobody else has posted yet, I just had to register and offer up some bits of the web I've found that relate to those feelings you're experiencing.

I'm afraid I don't exactly have any practical advice, but if you're curious if other INFP's feel this way I'm quite sure the answer is yes:

"For the INFP, personal success depends upon the condition of their closest relationships, the development of their creative abilities, and the continual support of humanity by serving people in need, fighting against injustice, or in some other way working to make the world a better place to be." (http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP_per.html)

"The INFP is a special, sensitive individual who needs a career which is more than a job. The INFP needs to feel that everything they do in their lives is in accordance with their strongly-felt value systems, and is moving them and/or others in a positive, growth-oriented direction. They are driven to do something meaningful and purposeful with their lives. The INFP will be happiest in careers which allow them to live their daily lives in accordance with their values, and which work towards the greater good of humanity. It's worth mentioning that nearly all of the truly great writers in the world have been INFPs." (http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP_car.html)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Thanks Jon for your first post, and welcome to the boards! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and thanks for the warm words. :)

For me, I have cycled through *many* jobs feeling this way ... I've only felt empassioned about one previous job (it lasted for about 3 years 'til the company closed) and around a couple of volunteering-type roles in 20-odd years of work-life (Man, I shouldn't admit my age like this LOL!) The problem of course is the volunteer jobs don't pay the bills, but when I am working f/t with a family to take care of, there is less time to volunteer! And when I do volunteer these days, I end up stretching myself thin, burning the candle at both ends (so to speak).

More thoughts welcome ... even just to commiserate with poor l'il PeaceBaby.

Jon Quixote

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for the welcome mat :)

The world certainly does not make it easy to earn a living doing the type of work that might satisfy an INFP. I'm currently in-between jobs trying to find my own way to resolve this problem, but I'm also fortunate enough to be in a position where I was financially able to quit my job when I realized it wasn't getting me anywhere I wanted to go. It definitely is frustrating, though.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
"It's never good enough" syndrome is quite prevalent in NFs. Same boat for me.
But I don't feel like the job isn't good in enough in itself, I feel like I'm not doing a good job.
I don't have a job, obviously but I'm part of a suicide group help. Alright I'm no psychologist I just help people who've lost someone by sharing my experience etc...
When something fails for me I try to make sure it doesn't fail for someone else. If I feel like what I do is worthwhile then it's all good. I don't need to be Mahatma Gandhi, but I just want to "help" people. It's very fulfilling to me. I love seeing someone run off feeling better about themselves or feeling good period. I'm quite interested in people. I've wanted to be a psychologist since I was...10 years old. But it'd be too "much" so I settled for human resources. The "safest" somewhat related job that pays well. I don't want to be broke, no way. Money is very important to me as well. So volunteering is a way to "help" without having to compromise financial needs.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I get these feelings all the time, especially since I find myself in blue-collar jobs. Nothing against these kinds of jobs per se, in fact in many ways I do actually enjoy them. I love working with my hands, along with moving around alot. I'm also able to contemplate deep issues without it effecting my work. Plus, I get to interact with many decent everyday people as well.

However, there's also a deep disconnect between all this and the fact that my interests are far more "academic" in nature. Often people are amazed I'm not a professor at some Ivy-league school. On some levels I could see myself doing that, but at the same time I would greatly despise it.

So there's that constant conflict of interests within me, which makes it harder to even determine what a good job is for me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It has taken me years to realize this (or maybe not) but I now know I won't be completely happy until I can artistically express myself in my "job".

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Yup - music theatre and/or anything involving helping people.
That, and potentially lecturing philosophy are things I could see myself enjoying forever and ever. (As long as there's variety in other areas of life!)

Best. Screenname. EVER.

Welcome, fellow dreamer :hi:

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
count me in.

yeah..i've totally can relate with what most of you here said.
it's really tough, especially at what the so-called 'old' age in Chinese society (i'm still 26 yrs old but..all these family expectations, "success" according to traditions, responsibility expectations, settling-down expectation, etc etc!) , when I'm even seriously thinking this time to really quit from my family-business (i'm paving my way towards the quitting, no matter how 'broke' I"ll be without the money!) , and still struggling with my dreams for being a great musician, yet in REALITY, it's reallllyyy really hard & clueless here of even where to start, and also , to how I can get living at least above the average living-costs, because it's a known fact that being musicians usually means: not-much-money here. and I have to prepare/ready my heart for that, and battling with my parents' wishes, expectations, society's view on me, etc etc.........all just to be able to reach my ultimate dreams....

at least if it won't work at the end, I'd live & die happily, knowing i've TRIED my best, instead of regretting for never trying it at the 1st place!

and many people (if not every person) have said that i am very musically-talented, and also very passionate in music as well (they can 'see' it clearly, especially when i'm talking about music or songs, any type of song) , and plus, many also said that I have this 'unique' vision, so it'll make good lyrics or writings instead of making 'mediocre' songs/music..
so if i don't utilize all of that, I can't help but feel really damn GUILTY, both to the God (or "Universe") , and to myself !

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ya, as long as im around people that i like then im happy