• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] The INFP shadow

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But haven't you guys noticed when the chips are really down, that's when we are absolutely brillant. You know that bit where we've gone through all the gloom and doom,and there's nothing really to lose any more, and every one else has completely given up.
?Maybe that's just me. I'm good at that. Very good at salvaging sinking ships.

Isn't the INFP shadow ESTJ? I once did a MBTI test in work mode, and I tested ISTJ, and think that their four main functions are the exact reverse of INFP. The things I do for fun sometimes, LOL.
Anyhoo, I'm like a scary ISTJ, not a nice one, but it shows up in how obsessive I get in arranging my work space among other things, the great "battle" commander I can be etc.
Sometimes though, I wish I could take home that excessive tidiness....because I'm very P at home.
It would be good if they weren't so discordant in my life

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Isn't the INFP shadow ESTJ?

I believe so, I've read it more than once, and I have definetely seen it. When I'm in a group that is working towards a common goal (albeit typically only one that I really care about ie making a film etc) I definitely see myself slip over to my ESTJ shadow. But I'm a nice one!... typically...

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I believe so, I've read it more than once, and I have definetely seen it. When I'm in a group that is working towards a common goal (albeit typically only one that I really care about ie making a film etc) I definitely see myself slip over to my ESTJ shadow. But I'm a nice one!... typically...

The ESTJ is actually the exact same as an INFP, only in reverse order. According to the theory, the INFP's true "shadow" is the ENFJ. I'd wager that your 4th function also becomes used a lot more heavily when you're acting in your shadow mode as well, though.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
...I've had to learn how to be assertive..

Agreed; this is very important.

A lot of what I think of in myself as "the uglies" is just normal human reaction. It's a distortion of my values system that makes them seem ugly to me.

Hit the nail on the head with that. To others, feeling annoyed, therefore being annoyed, is normal. To me it feels ... uncomfortable.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Agreed; this is very important.

Hit the nail on the head with that. To others, feeling annoyed, therefore being annoyed, is normal. To me it feels ... uncomfortable.

Me too. That's an unreasonable rule I picked up somewhere along the way. Don't know where. Probably those messages we get when we're kids.

Stop that crying!
Don't yell!
Like that.

Plus all the cultural messages that we get that being angry isn't okay. Put that together with a strong need to feel a sense of connection with others and you get fear of abandonment. Angry= being abandoned?

I know that for me, because of circumstances of my childhood and my need to have harmony in my life, abandonment issues were problematic for a long time.

Hide The Shadow! Someone might leave you if they see it! :smile:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm....apparently I'm the master of suppressing emotions until stressed (not that I've noticed mind you).