• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] How can you tell if an INFJ likes your company?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, I met an INFJ girl recently. Basically I've been really isolated as a foreigner where I am so I kind of started to make a squeaky wheel of myself around other foreigners and she kind of took me up on my offer to hang out. We've hung out twice now. I did pretty much all the talking the first time and a good chunk of it this time (but not all of it, ha!).

I've noticed a few things about her:

1. She's really afraid people won't like her (and why is that exactly? she's SOOO nice. Only stupid people wouldn't like her).
2. She does not usually state directly what she likes or dislikes.
3. She will go really out of her way for another person.
4. Sometimes she feels ignored, hurt, and/or stepped on by other people.
5. She is subtle.
6. She also seems really calm around me, and when I said that and that I liked it she said she only seemed calm when she was uncomfortable.
7. She'll let me interrupt her and keep talking until I've forgotten what my original topic was and then just smile sweetly as I try and backtrack to figure out what the point was supposed to be.

Now considering point 2 and 5 it makes me wonder if point 6 is an indication that she does not enjoy spending time with me or I am not making her feel at ease. Neither are good in my book. But, when I try and troubleshoot, like tell her she doesn't have to be nice, or she can leave if she needs to, or apologize if I think something I said might have been taken the wrong way, *then* she sometimes seems somewhat hurt.

But...she seems so nice to everyone and I know I seem like someone who needs a friend, but I really don't want her to feel like she *needs* to hang out with me because I *need* a friend. Basically, how do I tell if she really does like hanging out with me and if she does than how do I facilitate more of that?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. She's really afraid people won't like her (and why is that exactly? she's SOOO nice. Only stupid people wouldn't like her).

Not everyone likes nice people. Especially when those nice people are also "weird."

2. She does not usually state directly what she likes or dislikes.

I'm big on this. When people who I'm not very familiar with ask me how I feel about something I'll shrug my shoulders or say I don't know. I'll never offer an opinion on something that could possibly cause friction unless I believe that the person/people I'm speaking with will be willing to listen instead of debate with me or dismiss me.

3. She will go really out of her way for another person.
4. Sometimes she feels ignored, hurt, and/or stepped on by other people.
5. She is subtle.

Yes, yes, and yes.

7. She'll let me interrupt her and keep talking until I've forgotten what my original topic was and then just smile sweetly as I try and backtrack to figure out what the point was supposed to be.

I like talking to people so if they are really talkative I'll keep listening intently even if they interrupt me. People are just so interesting :yes:

Now considering point 2 and 5 it makes me wonder if point 6 is an indication that she does not enjoy spending time with me or I am not making her feel at ease.

I don't think so. She just doesn't know you that well yet so she isn't going to be a completely open book. Over time she may open up to you.

when I try and troubleshoot, like tell her she doesn't have to be nice, or she can leave if she needs to, or apologize if I think something I said might have been taken the wrong way, *then* she sometimes seems somewhat hurt.

She may think you do not enjoy her company or think she is too accomodating.

Basically, how do I tell if she really does like hanging out with me and if she does than how do I facilitate more of that?

When she begins talking about herself more and initiating contact. I don't know if there is anything you can do to facilitate the process, but I can tell you how you can prevent this from ever happening. Being very critical or dismissive of her ideas or opinions. Nothing will turn her cold faster.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. Not everyone likes nice people. Especially when those nice people are also "weird."

2. I don't think so. She just doesn't know you that well yet so she isn't going to be a completely open book. Over time she may open up to you.

3. She may think you do not enjoy her company or think she is too accommodating.

4. Being very critical or dismissive of her ideas or opinions. Nothing will turn her cold faster.

1. I reiterate that those people are stupid. :D But then, I'm a little weird myself. Anyway, what I'm saying is I can't see the reasoning behind not liking someone if A.they don't cling to you like a staticy sock on laundry day B. are truly nice people, or maybe not even truly, just kind of nice people and C. Don't drag you into anything unhealthy. All other reasons seem entirely ridiculous to me, but I will take your word that there are actually people that think like that. *huffs* But I say they need to grow up.

2. That's cool. I can wait. Besides, I kinda like trying to figure her out.

3. Lol, see, this is what happens when you stick two nice people together.

4. Thank you very very much. :hug: I'll make a special effort to not do those things.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem to be doing fine. INFJs can be very slow to open... it comes with the territory.

Also, if you think this girl could be a good friend, then just make yourself OK with the fact that you will likely have to do the inviting in the beginning. Some INFJs require a bit of work to get passed that first layer. Consider it a good chance for YOU to step out of YOUR comfort zone a bit. She'll likely get to the point where she feels comfortable initiating contact.

I'm not sure what kind of activities you guys do when you hang out, but try doing something somewhat active that is fun or interesting. Something to reach that Se of theirs.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
6. She also seems really calm around me, and when I said that and that I liked it she said she only seemed calm when she was uncomfortable.

But, when I try and troubleshoot, like tell her she doesn't have to be nice, or she can leave if she needs to, or apologize if I think something I said might have been taken the wrong way, *then* she sometimes seems somewhat hurt.

6. I love that, it's just classic. INFJ is like a duck -- smooth and motionless on the surface -- underneath, paddling like mad.

7. Not to make you paranoid, but try not to interrupt her. She won't push to assert herself over you and you'll wind up thinking she has nothing to say while she's given up because she thinks she can't get a word in edgewise. I say this because if someone talks until they can't remember their point, I can give them cue words to put them back on track because I've been listening to every little twist and turn. So my first thought was to wonder why she's not cuing you back up so you can continue. Maybe it's because she is thinking about how she missed her chance to talk. It's also absolutely true what Lauren said, we find people fascinating and enjoy listening to people talk, but we won't fight for the podium, so try to listen to her as well as she listens to you. She'll talk more if she sees you're not going to cut her off. There's a lot in there, you have no idea. :D

This troubleshooting thing -- she does have to be so nice, and be polite and considerate. Telling her she doesn't have to be that way is criticism. Just let her do her thing.

I would assume that if she's with you, she likes your company, and go from there.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, if you think this girl could be a good friend, then just make yourself OK with the fact that you will likely have to do the inviting in the beginning.

I'm not sure what kind of activities you guys do when you hang out, but try doing something somewhat active that is fun or interesting. Something to reach that Se of theirs.

Lol, actually she's been the one doing the inviting. I made it clear I'd love to hang out and then I backed off, and then she asked me to hang out and I said yes and *she* backed off. We have been doing active things (went to a skating rink, walked around down town), generally I let her decide what we do. But, I should ask her to hang out with me next time, I don't want her to think it's one sided.

7. Not to make you paranoid, but

This troubleshooting thing -- she does have to be so nice, and be polite and considerate. Telling her she doesn't have to be that way is criticism. Just let her do her thing.

7. haha. I'm always paranoid. No helping it. ;)

As for troubleshooting...she does? it is?....:blush:ok, I'll just deal with that then.

thanks, guys, again, for your advice and suggestions. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, actually she's been the one doing the inviting.

Oh, I got confused by the "she kind of took me up on my offer to hang out" part. Oops!

I've never known INFJs to invite someone out unless they enjoyed their company, so I'm pretty sure you're doing just fine.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never known INFJs to invite someone out unless they enjoyed their company, so I'm pretty sure you're doing just fine.

Indeed. My default mode is to avoid being around most people for long periods of time; it becomes exhausting after a while. I would only take the initiative to hang out with a person if I really liked them. If she's invited you out, you're doing tremendously well.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
:blush:

Thanks. I'll try and not mess it up.:hug:

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'll repeat the "try not to interrupt her" comment. That's one of my pet-peeves, and if it becomes a frequent thing, I'll tune the person out when they interrupt.

Now considering point 2 and 5 it makes me wonder if point 6 is an indication that she does not enjoy spending time with me or I am not making her feel at ease.

Being nervous around a new person is normal, I wouldn't that read much into it. You should expect, however, that she may remain nervous around you for some time -- especially if she likes you.

You have an advantage, too, since you're INFP. Two INFs together is a really good pair-up. I met an INFP couple about 3 years ago, and I've never had a friendship go from 0 to BEST in such a short amount of time.

If you have any strange and abstract thoughts floating around in your head, consider talking about them to see how she responds. Pondering subjects that border on nihilism is also interesting.

"What is reality?"
"When you think, do you see shapes in your head?"
"What do you think is beyond the outer edge of our universe?"

Questioning the fate of mankind is also a pretty interesting one for INFJ:

"Do you think mankind will survive another one-thousand years?"

Stuff like that. I have conversations like this with my INFP friends, and before we know it we're bouncing off the walls. If you are actually interested in discussions like this, that'll be even better -- remember that she can tell when you're being yourself and when you're putting up a front.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, I got confused by the "she kind of took me up on my offer to hang out" part. Oops!

Yep.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
thanks. she invited me to hang out with her after church last week and I was so excited because she invited me to hang out with her friends too but then I got *really* sick. I was SO upset. I texted her and said I was sorry I wouldn't be there but she was so sweet it was almost like...she didn't remember she'd invited me to lunch? I'm finding I can't go, 'oh, well, life has taught me someone normally responds like this when they're feeling this way' because no matter what she's as sweet as honey. Lol, she says she's not always like that but I'm not sure I believe her yet.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
All of this is really good advice (+1 to all the posts on here I think)

Usually when I dont want someone to be around I tune them out. And the fact that she's inviting YOU is a near sure indicator that she likes your company. (I also rarely turn down invitations from people I'm comfortable with. I only turn them down when I can't make it)

"What is reality?"
"When you think, do you see shapes in your head?"
"What do you think is beyond the outer edge of our universe?"

Questioning the fate of mankind is also a pretty interesting one for INFJ:

"Do you think mankind will survive another one-thousand years?"

Stuff like that. I have conversations like this with my INFP friends, and before we know it we're bouncing off the walls. If you are actually interested in discussions like this, that'll be even better -- remember that she can tell when you're being yourself and when you're putting up a front.

I find that I have conversations a lot like this with my INTP friend... but usually they turn into 'What would you do if you could rule the world?' type conversations.

Anyways, but the difference, I think, in INFP and INFJ in conversations is that INFJs are there for the conversation and the company while INFPs are there more to get their ideas out to someone they can trust.

Lightyear

They will seek you out.

Yes, they will suddenly be around you a lot, checking you out and waiting for you to notice them and to respond to their shy and quiet initative.

They will tell you what they really feel or think about something and if INFJs truly trusts you you can sometimes hardly shut them up because they are so communicative. However never ridicule them or look bored if they share thoughts and opinions that are very personal and private, they will make a mental note not to let you in again, distance themselves and you will have to work hard to make them open up again.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
They will tell you what they really feel or think about something and if INFJs truly trusts you you can sometimes hardly shut them up because they are so communicative. However never ridicule them or look bored if they share thoughts and opinions that are very personal and private, they will make a mental note not to let you in again, distance themselves and you will have to work hard to make them open up again.

What's hard is being the INFJ and trying to get to that trust point with another INFJ who probably doesn't have the same feeling about you as you to them. Not to mention they're the busybody INFJ.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
What's hard is being the INFJ and trying to get to that trust point with another INFJ who probably doesn't have the same feeling about you as you to them. Not to mention they're the busybody INFJ.

This would make my head explode. Eww, busybodies..

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
This would make my head explode. Eww, busybodies..

Yeah, the type that HAS to be doing something or feels stifled. I think she gets it from her parents because Ive talked to her sister (Who, I think, is an NFP o some kind) who is the opposite of a busybody, and her parents constantly bug her to quit being lazy. Their whole family is a bunch of great people, though it's hard to get a date with either of the girls when you have to be approved by the parents who one is rarely are able see. I'll be in Finland in a month and a half anyways, I guess.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, they will suddenly be around you a lot, checking you out and waiting for you to notice them and to respond to their shy and quiet initative.

My INFJ ex was this way - when I first met him, I took his detached demeanor as disinterest or boredom with others, but as we were around each other every day for months, I came to understand that he only seemed removed. Truthfully, he seemed to feel things very intensely, it was just hard to see sometimes. He appreciated the fact that I gave him his space and didn't get all up in his business all the time. I knew he would come to me when he wanted me. It was funny though, we could be standing around, talking about whatever, and suddenly, he would seize me and kiss me like he hadn't seen me in years. lol Never failed to surprise me.