• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Black INFJs & INTPs speak...

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree with the intense focus on school of some African immigrants. That's a very important distinction that people often overlook. But from my perspective it's similar to those we often place with people of Asian origin (India, China, Japan). I know that for a fact a disturbingly large proportion of people who are middle class who are immigrants have an aptitude and intense passion for education. I had a number of Indian friends and a great majority had parents who had Phds in very technical fields, and they had a large amount of pressure and focus when it came to their grades. Personally my dad and a lot of his friends have Phds as well. It's almost a requisite for having a chance to emmigrate over here, it's rather rigorous.

Anyways there is a little bit of a dynamic at play just within that distinction of African immigrant verse African American, especially depending on what socio-economic area you fall within. I know most of my schools that I've attended, In England, Canada, and here in the states, there has been a noticeable dynamic in play. My schools have been disproportionately white, 90+ percent on most occasions.

Actually it’s the other way around, Aimahn. To immigrate and to afford travel across the world to the united states, most likely you would have to be both educated and middle class. And very motivated to begin with. And with a goal in mind. It’s unfair to compare newly transported immigrants with those who’ve lived here and lived under certain depressed conditions. My parents were immigrants once and brought me here as a young child. They were once very arrogant about the things they achieved over “just plain ole black folks” but got over it quickly once they had a chance to settle in and observe. I don’t know how long you’ve been here, but it’s naive to think (your) education somehow transcends (other people’s) racism.

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
Conformity is something that often comes into play. One of my sisters friends was African American and although he was incredibly smart he tried hard to keep that from being noticed. He did try and play up the stereotypical African-American culture, overly so at times, just to sort of fit in and considered more true. He was a great honors student that went off to George Washington, but surprisingly most people who saw him would have never guessed he was even noticeably smart.

Actually Aimahn, I routinely notice the same kind of conformity on message boards like this. There is some sort of pride in assimilating to the mores and language of whites, and pretending that skin color is a ‘non-issue’ and we’ve somehow graduated to some ‘post-racial’ world. If that’s really so…how come more black MBTIs don’t openly offer scenes from their lives? I never want to conform to any particular group, so when I see it, it doesn’t sit well with me. It feels faux on so many different levels. When I see a black kid dragging his pants down to look cool or a black guy on a message board being ‘racially ambiguous’ if feels the same to me – disingenuous.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a very interesting thread. I never realized that Africans did all that stuff just to "fit in."

I know another (excuse the term) black guy, he's also an INFP. I've known him since I was like 9. It's odd, he puts on that stereotype mask but then shows his true self to me.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Thanks for sharing that story feltup, I appreciate how thoughtful you were and you open up a very different and not much talked about channel -- not just on MBTIc but in terms of personality and psychological analysis.

Being a person of color, a 'sexual minority', etc. rarely makes its way into an analysis of 'universal psychological theory' or the overall 'human experience'. Though some modern day psychological literature will cite 'being from a minority group' as a potential factor for depression (I could almost LOL at that...but no).

The stress of being from a marginalized community or the 'odd man out' can be intense, but coupled with pre-existing mental health issues or just really plain sensitivity or the idiosyncracies of personality type -- it can really push people over the edge. It of course depends very much on the invidual how they respond and take things, even within the same type and the same community, people will take what their environment gives them and process things very differently. Because of course, they are different people.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I do agree that the experience of being in a 'marginalized' group can make people more isolated and susceptible to falling over the edge or going undiagnosed with mental health issues, depression, etc.

You could tie it back purely in terms of socio-economic access to knowledge and medicine and just a network that is looking out for you -- but I think it really is a cultural/psychological issue and the reality of being from a dominant vs non-dominant group.

I hope your friend is found safe...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm afraid that you are the only black person on the forum.
Nope; Black INTP Aspie in the house!
(Yeah, it's very difficult, and we really don't fit in in that subculture, which seems to be heavily SJ, with some NTJ and on the lighter side, SFP thrown in there).

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Actually Aimahn, I routinely notice the same kind of conformity on message boards like this. There is some sort of pride in assimilating to the mores and language of whites, and pretending that skin color is a ‘non-issue’ and we’ve somehow graduated to some ‘post-racial’ world. If that’s really so…how come more black MBTIs don’t openly offer scenes from their lives? I never want to conform to any particular group, so when I see it, it doesn’t sit well with me. It feels faux on so many different levels. When I see a black kid dragging his pants down to look cool or a black guy on a message board being ‘racially ambiguous’ if feels the same to me – disingenuous.

Define racially ambiguous?

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
A sad story indeed. I do, however, wonder why the guy was living with his father at the ripe old age of 28?

It seems as if he was maladjusted to his surroundings and life in general; perhaps an unhealthy INTP. Everybody has their own unique difficulties in life that they must learn to overcome. Being black and INTP certainly brings its own unique challenges. The combination of being an introvert, a nerd/geek, a recluse who doesn't need the same level of interaction in society, or with individuals, as other types, and a racial minority where the dominant culture is often times in opposition to the inherent nature of our type is difficult. Then to compound it by being surrounded by those of a different race and culture makes it that much harder to relate to and find easy acceptance from those around you. But no matter your disposition, if you want something bad enough you can obtain it. If you want to form bridges with people and gain acceptance, despite the obstacles in your way, then it can be done. Otherwise, in such a situation it just wont come easily. Personally, I'm in the same boat. I choose to focus on academics so I can forge a good life down the road. Friends and social interaction are things I've had to put on the back burner, and being a black INTP in a mostly white community, those things don't usually float my way of their own accord.

Since I have two degrees and I’m in my 40s and I am an INFJ, I’m going to burst your bubble and let you know that your college degree will not prepare you for the life you are about to lead. Especially if you are indeed black, male and INTP.

(Okay, I must digress a minute. PET PEEVE: I am so god-damned tired of black people talking about their edyumucations as if it is a soft, sweet little pillow that will buffer them against all ills. People with new money and new education seem to be cut from the same cloth. Ugh. Beyond annoying.)

Now…I do understand what you are telling me about building bridges, but it’s a lot of work, and you’ll notice it’s always YOU who has to be understanding of other folks’ ignorance and quite honestly, if you were an INTP you would probably find it exhausting and check out.

I’ve done this. I elect not to burden myself. I share when I can if I feel I don’t have to explain certain aspects of my life repeatedly. Just getting other folks to a level where they can understand me and then proceed from there often takes energy I’m unwilling to expend. I can tell you – black folks don’t get me, white folks don’t get me, people of my own age don’t get me and think my personal style is nuts and immature, dating is impossible so I’ll never find love, other INFJs seem to be leery of me, and my own family would prefer I get medicated in order to deal with life. I refuse to exist under any of those conditions. I’m not an assimilationist on any front, so I’m often ostracized for not attempting to conform. When I was younger I felt a lot more pressure, but realized soon enough, I couldn’t live with the double-co…no…triple-consciousness that I’m naturally expected to as a black woman. There is no buffer for me. I get that this life is mine to go alone. And that if I at times have people who join me for the ride, I should expect that it will be temporary.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Actually it’s the other way around, Aimahn. To immigrate and to afford travel across the world to the united states, most likely you would have to be both educated and middle class. And very motivated to begin with. And with a goal in mind. It’s unfair to compare newly transported immigrants with those who’ve lived here and lived under certain depressed conditions. My parents were immigrants once and brought me here as a young child. They were once very arrogant about the things they achieved over “just plain ole black folks” but got over it quickly once they had a chance to settle in and observe. I don’t know how long you’ve been here, but it’s naive to think (your) education somehow transcends (other people’s) racism.

Hmmm. I'm not really sensing the message you intended to get across with your post. I don't know where the transcendence came about, but I was actually referring to there being a barrier of entry in terms of education to a large degree to gain acceptance into this country so to speak. In terms of the effects that I see personally, that once again would be skewed, because I've never lived in an environment that wasn't middle class in North America. I did live in Africa myself for a good while and have visited periodically and the conditions were much worse overall than a striking percentage of communities here. My dad lived on a farm and had to really self sustain, he didn't even have some of the handy farm technologies that would make the work that much easier. Little infrastructure to speak off. In terms of arrogance, I don't know where that came across either, I've encountered all levels of class, at least when looked at respectively from the standards people in the U.S have. I've encountered more than my majority of races as well. Lived in 3 continents and 4 countries for a decent bit so I think I have some perspective of race relations.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Your perception of what those two black kids experienced may not be based in reality. Black folk are really good at hiding their feelings when they’re among whites in an academic setting. Racism and prejudice is not so tangible that you can readily observe with your eyes. Both times I was in college I experienced plenty of it and I never once uttered a word to my white friends. I’m sure they’re somewhere now, extrapolating on my behalf on my supposed color-blind education! Also, I find it interesting that someone who acknowledges differences in personality type is so quick to say that “Race was a non-issue in that milieu.”

dude. i work with race relations here at penn state. know what the equivalent is for white folk what "nigger" is for a black or "chink" is for a person of asian descent? -- it's "racist." white people won't put up with that shit - and furthermore, with this influx of "political correctness" we get butterfly coated poison like "i don't see color" "i'm color-blind" or "i really don't see race." right. (cos white folks learn that if you say you don't see color, you can't possibly be accused of being a racist.) when most white folk think "racism" they think interpersonal relationships .. when really a lot of racism is institutionalized racism - the shit we don't see. the subsidies given to white folk in history, the g.i. bill, the exploitation of "free" blacks in a jim-crow post-civil war south that CREATED THIS UNEQUAL PLAYING FIELD. but it's hard for white folk to acknowledge racism because it doesn't seem like it's happening - they don't see it in their worlds - to them, they've had to work hard and have had their own problems and are unable to see, despite all the hardships, white privilege helping them out - so they are quick to be defensive about their equanimity, etc. (here's a good article on this: http://www.unh.edu/residential-life/diversity/aw_article17.pdf). i have stereotypes about blacks, whites, latinos, and asians - and i look forward to growing and interacting and honestly talking (even if that means finger pointing and complaining about the "other" side) in order to grow and free myself from these insidious political socializations. there's a lot of schisms between minority groups too - for example between "african americans" and newly immigrated "blacks" (who are often pretty upper class to be able to come to the u.s. in the first place). it's fascinating - the shit we don't know.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Your perception of what those two black kids experienced may not be based in reality. Black folk are really good at hiding their feelings when they’re among whites in an academic setting.

The program was half ethnic minorities and half caucasian. (50 total) We lived in a dorm apart from normal college students, and hung out only with each other. The other kids were peers, friends, and some even became like family. It wasn't relegated to academics only. All we had was each other, until break when we were allowed to go back home.

Also, I find it interesting that someone who acknowledges differences in personality type is so quick to say that “Race was a non-issue in that milieu.”

Two completely, unrelated categories. Logical fallacy.

I’m in my 40s and I am an INFJ, I’m going to burst your bubble and let you know that your college degree will not prepare you for the life you are about to lead. Especially if you are indeed black, male and INTP.

First of all, you're 40. You grew up in an entirely different generation than most of the posters on this board. There's an African-American president now. It was only possible, because the majority has shifted their views on ethnicity in this regard.

You're not the spokesperson for all blacks, much less INFJs and INTPs. The INTP you described comes off incredibly autistic. He wasn't even someone you actually knew on a personal level. Your biased perception, on top of another person's biased opinion, is hardly truth. That variable throws a wrench in the examination. A single example isn't enough to decipher a broader issue. If you have an actual sample size to pull data from, by all means share. What you have provided, has given no credibility to state unequivically, what a black XY/INTP will go through.

MBTI Type
INxJ
dude. i work with race relations here at penn state. know what the equivalent is for white folk what "nigger" is for a black or "chink" is for a person of asian descent? -- it's "racist." white people won't put up with that shit - and furthermore, with this influx of "political correctness" we get butterfly coated poison like "i don't see color" "i'm color-blind" or "i really don't see race." right. (cos white folks learn that if you say you don't see color, you can't possibly be accused of being a racist.) when most white folk think "racism" they think interpersonal relationships.

What institutional racism exists today?

For the record, I am a mixed ethnic minority. I understand racism exists. Like prejudice for sexism, classism, or homophobia. However, I have yet to directly experience racism from anyone outside my own family. My non-Caucasian friends haven't experienced it either. Maybe, we are an isolated bunch, but it truly has yet to occur. There are people that see ethnicity as a physical indicator only. Not a factor to judge an entire group of supposedly similar people.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
What institutional racism exists today?

For the record, I am a mixed ethnic minority. I understand racism exists. Like prejudice for sexism, classism, or homophobia. However, I have yet to directly experience racism from anyone outside my own family. My non-Caucasian friends haven't experienced it either. Maybe, we are an isolated bunch, but it truly has yet to occur.

jobs, court cases, arrests, housing, income, modern slavery, even standards of beauty. environmental discrimination - penalties for violating hazardous waste laws is higher for polluting white areas (600%!), regardless of whether those are poor or wealthy white communities - mortgage discrimination - minorities twice as likely to be denied loans and need to pay higher mortgage rates than whites with equal income- automobile discrimination (haha), school funding from property taxes that insure communities of color will have poorer quality schools . legit studies and experiments done on all of these too. the evidence is very compelling. all of this is predicated and exacerbated by the history of immiseration from laws intended to keep blacks socio-economically downtrodden like the subsidies given to whites to leave the city and drain it of capital and opportunity (just as blacks began to move in), the g.i. bill, agricultural adjustment and wagner acts, our cia backed international coups, our marriages of convenience-for resources, forcing the third world to buy back their own exports with inflationary prices, etc etc)

MBTI Type
INxJ
jobs, court cases, arrests, housing, income, modern slavery, even standards of beauty. environmental discrimination - penalties for violating hazardous waste laws is higher for polluting white areas (600%!), regardless of whether those are poor or wealthy white communities - mortgage discrimination - minorities twice as likely to be denied loans and need to pay higher mortgage rates than whites with equal income- automobile discrimination (haha), school funding from property taxes that insure communities of color will have poorer quality schools . legit studies and experiments done on all of these too. the evidence is very compelling. all of this is predicated and exacerbated by the history of immiseration from laws intended to keep blacks socio-economically downtrodden like the subsidies given to whites to leave the city and drain it of capital and opportunity (just as blacks began to move in), the g.i. bill, agricultural adjustment and wagner acts, our cia backed international coups, our marriages of convenience-for resources, forcing the third world to buy back their own exports with inflationary prices, etc etc)

Link legitimate sources proving it's racism at work, within the last 5-10 years.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Link legitimate sources proving it's racism at work.

i'm glad you want to learn and i'd be more than happy to show you a lot of studies, but understand that this is cumulative pedagogical and experiential work and learning i've been doing passionately in and out of the classroom - this means books, conversing with people of all backgrounds, a heavy sociology/political science/women's studies/monetary policy/ international relations/ black and african american studies/latin american studies/religious studies/history, etc course load to understand different cultures and different sides of the issue - in order to understand the disenfranchised whose voices have been muted by a very ideologically biased writen history. so i can't remember all the articles and books and notes i've made in class but i can give you some information that can be found if you google the terms as well:

on the death penalty:
Texas Death Penalty Blog: Dennis Kucinich's position on the Death Penalty

mortage discrimination:
ISS - Study finds mortgage discrimination

environmental racism:
POVERTY, POLLUTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM
(ex: Radioactive colonialism operates in energy production (mining of uranium) and disposal of wastes on Indian lands. The legacy of institutional racism has left many sovereign Indian nations without an economic infrastructure to address poverty, unemployment, inadequate education and health care, and a host of other social problems.)

drug war, drug arrests:
Study Exposes Racism of War on Drugs | Drug, Arrests, Study

plus,
CRACK USERS in the U.S. (1998)
Total: 971,000
White: 462,000
Black: 324,000
Latino: 157,000
Other: 28,000

but now let's look at the arrest rates..
ARRRESTED FOR CRACK POSSESSION in the U.S. (1994)
10.3% were White
84.5% were Black
5.2% were Hispanic/Latino

ARRESTED FOR CRACK TRAFFICKING in the U.S. (1994)
4.1% were White
88.3% were Black
7.1% were Hispanic/Latino
*Criminologists overwhelmingly agree that traffickers roughly mirror users so that the vast majority of people selling cocaine were/are white.

COKE USERS in the U.S. (2000)
Whites: 2.6 million
Blacks: 340,000
Latinos: 406,000
Asians: 15,000
Native Am: 48,000

Arrests for Coke Possession in U.S. (1999)
White & Hispanic = 150,667 (54%)
Black = 126,239 (45%)
Native American = 842 (<1%)
Asian/Pacific Islander = 1,627 (<1%)

Arrests for Coke Sales in U.S. (1999)
White & Hispanic = 50,124 (38%)
Black = 81,792 (62%)
Native American = 253 (<1%)
Asian/Pacific Islander = 509 (<1%)
Keep in mind that a significant number of these “white” arrests are Hispanics/Latinos.

*also ... the reason why cocaine (as well as pretty much every other drug) was made illegal in the u.s. was due to racism in the first place. the drug war is very racially intertwined.
YouTube - History of Racism in Drug Laws - here's a video on this.

and although you mentioned "recent" keep in mind that everything is predicated upon a history which has already created an uneven playing field for minorities - poverty persists and exacerbates the unbalanced access to opportunities. also, think about beauty. the amount of asians, especially females, having blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery to get a more "western" eye is staggering.)http://www.dailyvita.com/images/LorWhitePerfect.jpg

i also learned about countless experiments and studies involving even sending out the same resume to the same business except with a different last name (an "ethnic") one and there was definitely some SIGNIFICANT racial bias in there. studies done in court when an offender with the same crime (they also trained the actors to talk, walk, and have the same mannerisms and age/sex and alleged socio-economic background and education- only difference being race) plead in a court case and minorities (around 14 times as much for blacks, 8.5 times as much for latinos, and 4.3 times as much for asians) to go to jail or get a harsher sentence.

schools have become more segregated
U.S. Schools Turn More Segregated, a Study Finds - New York Times
U.S. school segregation on the rise: report | Lifestyle | Reuters
""It would be a tragedy if the country assumed from the Obama election that the problems of race have been solved, when many inequalities are actually deepening," said Gary Orfield, co-director of the Civil Rights Project."

health care
Institutional Racism in the US Health Care System

Slavery in the Modern World — Infoplease.com
Modern day slavery flourishes
- and what are they making? OUR clothes, our wal-mart commodities, sustaining our unsustainable living standards. about 90% of mass produced chocolate (think hershey's, nestle) has at some point in its production been touched by a slave. and yes, our government and multi-national corporations support and fund this.

it's awesome that you're surrounded by a culturally diverse people and have had the opportunity to travel, etc etc. however, i grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood and internalized a lot of the beliefs around me without questioning it - so this cause of honest exploration and conversation and questioning why we don't learn about these things is a one i'm personally committed to. when i first learned about how small my world was and how prejudiced i was, i was horrified and really went through a dark period. i can't turn my back on what i have learned, even if i wanted to (which i have, because it's not easy.) now, i'd just like to use my entp talents and whatever else i will cultivate and gain strength from to seek the truth and encourage honesty and openness all around me. :)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am the blackest thing you'll ever NOT see
i cannot contribute any exceptional racial encounter, since i don't allow people who are that ignorant to come into contact with me, for i only offer more than a handful of fleeting words at a time

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm, the direction of this thread does not surprise me at all.

For those of you who want to debate whether racism exists, you can...by yourself. I'm not interested in that commonplace deflection.

To those black folks who are too cowardly to have an honest discussion about race, and prefer to PROVE how unlike regular black folks they are due to their education, origins, and the whiteness of the neighborhoods they live in, I find you boring, typical, and statusy.

To those black people who are too cowardly to admit they are black by using racially ambiguous terms like 'multiracial', your life must be as colorless as the grey area you seem most comfortable in. I prefer high-contrast color.

All I asked for was tidbits from your lives to illustrate how type & blackness commingles, so we can begin to piece together some psychological profile that doesn't depend on Euro influence. What I learned instead is that black folks are still suckling on the tits of their oppressors, so much so, they can't bare to take the nipple out of their mouths and have an honest discussion. To folks who prefer false-harmony rather than honest discussion, continue as you wish, but it will be done without me.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Hmm, the direction of this thread does not surprise me at all.

For those of you who want to debate whether racism exists, you can...by yourself. I'm not interested in that commonplace deflection.

To those black folks who are too cowardly to have an honest discussion about race, and prefer to PROVE how unlike regular black folks they are due to their education, origins, and the whiteness of the neighborhoods they live in, I find you boring, typical, and statusy.

To those black people who are too cowardly to admit they are black by using racially ambiguous terms like 'multiracial', your life must be as colorless as the grey area you seem most comfortable in. I prefer high-contrast color.

All I asked for was tidbits from your lives to illustrate how type & blackness commingles, so we can begin to piece together some psychological profile that doesn't depend on Euro influence. What I learned instead is that black folks are still suckling on the tits of their oppressors, so much so, they can't bare to take the nipple out of their mouths and have an honest discussion. To folks who prefer false-harmony rather than honest discussion, continue as you wish, but it will be done without me.

wow. congratulations on alienating everyone who took the time out of their day to actually respond to your post and share their opinions, however "cowardly" they appear to you. i'm sorry you took their curiousity and life experience as "invalid" and "dishonest" - perhaps you know more about their lives than they themselves do? how very insightful.

undermining other individuals' dignity has no place in any "open discussion" - i see nothing that warranted your crude analogies - and if you think such judgment would endear others to open up - think again. although you may identify bi and multi-racials as "black," - they may not feel that way themselves. understandably, different ancestral backgrounds, socio-economic statuses, and other backgrounds filter in to their particular life experience - and each one is just as crucial, important, and vivid to the understanding of our unique experiences in the context of the structures we were born into. where can you come in and judge when another's "black experience" begins? how can you even begin to isolate a bi-racial individual from their "european experience?" - it is crucial to understand the all the complexities and nuances in the entirety of someone's experience, and this is not limited to race or ethnicity.

in response to your labeling of my "deflections" - i would say they are not deflections at all but a unique perspective and forthrightness i bring to the table. in this modern culture of political correctness, we hardly talk about racial issues - and i would like to thank everyone - whites and minorities - who expressed curiosity and support for my post in the form of private messaging and other communication. thank you. :) i applaud all those who responded to your post and shared their experiences and opinions and i do not subscribe to the divisive finger-pointing you demonstrated in your reply. if you seek honest discussion - appreciate and encourage the opinions of all those presented - and eventually, you may see that we're all standing on the same side, despite the harsh lines you have drawn.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm sorry you took their curiousity and life experience as "invalid" and "dishonest" - perhaps you know more about their lives than they themselves do? how very insightful.

although you may identify bi and multi-racials as "black," - they may not feel that way themselves. understandably, different ancestral backgrounds, socio-economic statuses, and other backgrounds filter in to their particular life experience - and each one is just as crucial, important, and vivid to the understanding of our unique experiences in the context of the structures we were born into. where can you come in and judge when another's "black experience" begins? how can you even begin to isolate a bi-racial individual from their "european experience?"

Exactly. If you are of mixed background, one background is not more important than all others. They all are a part of your experience. Personally, I was going to answer the OP but now I think my response will be inadequate for what the OP is asking for...

MBTI Type
INxJ
i'm glad you want to learn and i'd be more than happy to show you a lot of studies, but understand that this is cumulative pedagogical and experiential work and learning i've been doing passionately in and out of the classroom.

Thank you for taking the time to cite sources.

First of all, I will acknowledge institutional racism exists. Second, I am in no way justifying unequal treatment and prejudice from institutions trusted to be objective. I find it abhorrent. I really appreciate having this discussion with you. Third, I realize I have been blessed to live a certain lifestyle, and to have many ethnic minority friends that have as well. I'm beginning to understand class plays a big role in how one is perceived.

• Drugs and Death Penalty: If someone is doing and dealing drugs, or commits a crime worth receiving the death penalty, they need to take responsibility. If racial profiling is as widely known as your suggesting, minorities especially, should conduct themselves within the lines of the law. If they know atypical prejudice is a possibility and they continue with the illegal action anyway, it's their price to pay. Avoid getting into the situation altogether. Fast food or janitorial work is far more respectable than a life of crime. There are options.

• School Segregation: There are immigrants and ethnic minorities of low socioeconomic class, that cleave to living in a community largely populated by their own race. (i.e. China-town, Latin barrios etc.) I suspect language is a factor, along with being surrounded by shops and restaurants that remind them of their own culture. Where kids attend school is almost always determined by location. (I'm not stating exceptions don't exist, but it's more productive to address the majority.) If the poorer minorities have a problem with the schools their kids go to, they should move to another area. It makes no sense to expect other people to willingly move to low income areas, to give a broader demographic for race in that location.

• Health Care: Clinics that accept government assisted insurance are going to be lower quality. While adequate health care should be available to everyone, it's currently not. (I do hope Obama does something about that.) As for general racism, I am sure it happens, especially in the south. As for minorities currently being discriminated against for med/dental school admission, it is rare. UCSF and UCLA has at least half (if not more) Asians in their programs. MCAT score and grades will be scrutinized most. As they should be.

• Modern Slavery: Human trafficking occurs to every ethnicity. Arabs and Asians are notorious for purchasing females from Eastern Europe as sex slaves. In fact, Europeans purchase Caucasian females for sex trade within Europe itself. White on white slavery happens. American Fundamentalist Mormons (Caucasians) are guilty of purchasing female children from Europe for their polygamous arrangements. People of poor background all over the world, are targets.

• Asian Blepharoplasty: Creased eyelids naturally occur in 50% of the population. Most are only receiving what they could have been born with. It's quite common for one sibling to have a defined eyelid crease, and another of the same genes without. It's not making the eyes more Caucasian. That would include a high semi-lunar crease procedure and an epicanthoplasty. The majority only want to look the best they can as defined by their ethnicity. That means having conservative surgery that doesn't change the muscles, adipose tissue, or other underlying features that make an eye "asian" in the first place. It's the same concept as Caucasians going in for an eye lift. They are only enhancing what is naturally there, not altering the entire structure itself. Reputable surgeons will rarely (if ever) perform Caucasian specific surgeries on ethnic minorities.

• Mortgage Discrimination and Pollution: What a shame. I believe time is the answer for discrimination to some extent. Yet, I'm realistic enough to understand all types of prejudice will exist as long as life does. Also, something should actively be done about pollution.

In Conclusion: It's up to the minority to create a better life. A decent percentage of Asians, Asian-Indians, Jews, and Middle Eastern immigrants, have all done so through their own hard work. (Academic settings have stereotypes about those minorities for a reason. Many become engineers, MDs, JDs, PhDs.) They had a similar starting point as the poor African-Americans and Hispanics that seem to be the main focus group of racial discrimination. Yet, the former chose to work hard and change their life. There are far too many "American Dream" successes (My friends' families are great examples.), for any ethnic group to make excuses about why they aren't prospering. It's within their control. If an ethnic minority settles for that kind of life, they have no one to blame but themselves. Caucasians aren't exempt from a disadvantaged education and gang life either. Those aren't excuses. Racism rarely stops anyone from going to school and becoming successful in this day and age. If an individual is intelligent (talented, skilled, or business minded) and hunger for more, they will make it. It's natural selection. Survival of the fittest. Racism (in most cases), is just another obstacle to overcome, on the way to the top.

Obstinate

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
One
I'm black, and INFJ. And a teenager. My problem isn't with whites, in fact my school's like 3% white, if that. But I've always been afraid of African-Americans, because my elementary was 92% black and was made fun of on a constant basis. I just don't identify with black culture. It's not who I am. I just like being myself.

But then again, I get the same clout from the Filipinos at my school now for not being black enough also. I hate it. I just wish I could be myself. I can't stand either spectrum.