• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs sport and coordination

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm interested in what other NFs are like at sport, and whether personality type has much bearing on it.

Also how they approach sport, techniques, etc. What aspects they are best at.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I'm not really into much sport, I was the back stroke swim champion 3 years in a row at school, but that wasn't because I liked it, it was because I was the fastest in the year and had no choice but to participate.

I also won the gold medal for high jump for 2 consecutive years, again not because I liked it or wanted to, just because I was taller and therefore better at it than everyone else.

The only sport I've ever really enjoyed playing is squash and that's just because it's so much fun, an excellent workout and a great way to burn off aggression. It's also great for working up some sexual steam if played with the right person. :wubbie:

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I have a crappy coordination and I'm slow. I hate ball games and aerobics etc.

On the other hand, I have an excellent endurance. Especially in the summer I often jog or bike all day long.

I also do horseback riding, mainly dressage now. It's kind of slow and requires a lot of concentration and cooperation (with the animal), so it's pretty ideal for me.

(I dislike competition very much, btw. I do sports just for fun.)

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I was horrible at sports, never really played anything due to lack of time and being in poor shape. I LOVE Football and Baseball though if that accounts for anything. Other than that I hit the gym and that is about it for me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Not very good at sports but I do enjoy team sports quite a bit.

I was very good dasher when I was younger. I kind of regret not having sticked with that.

Was a relatively good swimmer until I quit. Tried basketball. Team spirit wasn't really our forte and I even got into a serious fight in the locker-room with one of my teammates. Then I tried Tae Kwon Do but got bored.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm decent at sports overall. Some sports I'm good at or used to be good at (i.e. I was a pretty good defenceman when I played hockey), some I'm aweful at (basketball, haha, but I'm tall enough to jump up and stuff people :D).

The way I approach sports has a lot to do with my personality. I'm not too competitive with other people, so I focus on having fun more than winning. I can be very competitive with myself though, so sometimes I try hard to break my own records or push myself just a bit harder. If, coincidently, I end up beating everyone else, too, thats just as well :D

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've avoided most team sports because I always felt when I was younger that I was a burden to my team with my awkwardness.

But I played a year of basketball in college and with my long arms and legs was a good wall if nothing else!

Ran track in high school and that worked for me.

I do better at one-on-one stuff.

For a while I played league billiards for the college and on bar teams and that worked for me.

These days I'll pay something like volleyball if I'm asked and no longer feel so self-conscious about it. Just have to do it for fun, though.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was decent enough to enjoy sports and be picked fairly early in the gym class team selection process (when it was required that captains choose boy/girl/boy/girl). But I think that mostly came from enthusiasm and willingness to get dirty, so to speak, when required. As far as actual talent and coordination go? Really not much there at all. Swimming and skiing are the only things that I've ever been remotely good at, and those are more about internal movement than hand-eye coordination.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was horrendous at team sports in school. It was deeply embarassing and humiliating. Volleyball and baseball were probably the worst.

I could have been decent at long distance running if I'd enjoyed it, but it was never anything I was that drawn to.

Was good at ballet.

Am really good at climbing (rock-climbing).

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Sports - No. Never.
Coordination - Heck yeah. FPS games are like crack to me. I love seeing boys run from me - its awesome.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I have better Se than I should for some reason. Probably years of art school has beaten it into me.

I am bad at most team sports but I have two black belts and many a trophy and medal in different kinds of fencing. I used to play hurling when I was in secondary school and was pretty alright at it.

I had surgery to extend my legs when I was 13 years old and have yet to recover from the shift in my center of gravity. I am now super clumsy because my brain hasn't quite figured out how to deal with the extra height.

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
I enjoyed all types of sports growing up.. I was never really "Outstanding" at any one paticular sport but I would say I was an "all-around athlete"..

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I was just thinking about physical reasons why we have trouble with some sports.

I was left-handed as a child and was forced to learn how to use my right hand. And I'm left-eye dominant. I think this may have created some problems for me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was just thinking about physical reasons why we have trouble with some sports.

I was left-handed as a child and was forced to learn how to use my right hand. And I'm left-eye dominant. I think this may have created some problems for me.

The left-handed reason makes sense.

I don't know that there were physical reasons for me. I simply wasn't skilled at team sports. Didn't have a fast enough reaction time, I suppose, and then on top of that didn't have the coordination and body/eye connection that I needed. And too many outside variables to keep track of. Team sports was akin to going into a war zone from my perspective.

Ballet and rock climbing are different. Same goes for walking/running/any solo sport like that. No external stimuli to keep track of - everything is controlled from within. Just me and my awareness of my body and movement and balance.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The left-handed reason makes sense.

I don't know that there were physical reasons for me. I simply wasn't skilled at team sports. Didn't have a fast enough reaction time, I suppose, and then on top of that didn't have the coordination and body/eye connection that I needed. And too many outside variables to keep track of. Team sports was akin to going into a war zone from my perspective.

Ballet and rock climbing are different. Same goes for walking/running/any solo sport like that. No external stimuli to keep track of - everything is controlled from within. Just me and my awareness of my body and movement and balance.

I sense an element of barely forgotten pain from teamsport experiences at school.

*picks Cascademn for his team, first out of all the choices*

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sense an element of barely forgotten pain from teamsport experiences at school.

*picks Cascademn for his team, first out of all the choices*

:cry: Indeed (however, you have just ruined your chance of winning;)). It was a long, long time ago, but I distinctly recall all of it. The anxiety, the horror, the embarrassment..blah.

Better to be older when none of that crap matters anymore!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
NF's and sports ... better since I've gotten older. I needed to learn to have confidence in my body first.

Plus, I was always too concerned about doing a good job and not being injured by more aggressive classmates. LOL!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
:cry: Indeed (however, you have just ruined your chance of winning;)). It was a long, long time ago, but I distinctly recall all of it. The anxiety, the horror, the embarrassment..blah.

Better to be older when none of that crap matters anymore!

I've thought for a while that one of the questions to establish whether someone is an NF is..

"Do you often have bruises on your upper legs from walking into the corners of desks and other furniture"?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've thought for a while that one of the questions to establish whether someone is an NF is..

"Do you often have bruises on your upper legs from walking into the corners of desks and other furniture"?

See, that's the thing though. I'm very in tune with my own body and my immediate surroundings, and I can't really relate to walking into stuff (although I do it occasionally - but I figure everyone does it occasionally). Because it's stationary!! :laugh: (but I know a lot of NF's are otherwise)

Team sports is different - everything is moving. Like I said, it's a war zone. Too much to keep track of.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
See, that's the thing though. I'm very in tune with my own body and my immediate surroundings, and I can't really relate to walking into stuff (although I do it occasionally - but I figure everyone does it occasionally). Because it's stationary!! :laugh: (but I know a lot of NF's are otherwise)

Team sports is different - everything is moving. Like I said, it's a war zone. Too much to keep track of.

Ah! So it's just about peripheral vision and team dynamics?

Interesting... I find those easy(ish)... I enjoy playing cricket and as a youngster played and enjoyed a lot of soccer and rugby. When i was bad it was due to lack of personal coordination (particularly at soccer)