• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF-specific Tips for Type Identification in the Wild?

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Howdy; I was wondering if any of you had some tips for identifying other types (or our own types) in the wild? For example, as an INFP my main function is Fi so I suppose I would try to go off of how other people make me "feel" to try to determine what type they are? Given that the type descriptions and most of what I've read on identifying types does not lend itself to this kind of process, are there any NFs out there with specific suggestions for someone of like mind to help identify how others roll? I would like to hone my type-identifying :ninja: skills...

G

Glycerine

Well, INFJ is very easy to spot. They tend to be extremely abstract in conversation and SOME can run pretty much any subject into the ground (when everybody else finished talking lke 10 minutes ago, they will still be talking about it haha). There is a silent intensity about them externally.

INFP- quiet, calm, random, spacey, artsy. They have a real nonconformist vibe about them. They also have the same intensity that the INFJ has but its turned inward.

ENFP- huge people person, all over the place in conversations, usually VERY disorganized, great idea person.

ENFJ- no real data...

Last edited:

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
INFP- quiet, calm, random, spacey, artsy. They have a real nonconformist vibe about them. They also have the same intensity that the INFJ has but its turned inward.

Hmm, this makes me wonder if a girl a dated a while back was this type... interesting.

ngannacvy

MBTI Type
INFP
...tend to appear to the world as.....
TJ.........................................logical
FJ.........................................Empathetic
SP.........................................Concrete
NP.........................................Abstract

NF.........................................oversensitive
NT.........................................Insensitive
SJ.........................................Depressive
SP.........................................Excitable

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Compared to what? What is the baseline of observation?

I would say myself I recognize the N "click" right away from an eye-to-eye perspective. Let me think about this more and I will post back. :)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I resent being called oversensitive! (Just joking):laugh:
I prefer emotionally reactive.

G

Glycerine

I'm not sure about this...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, INFJ is very easy to spot. They tend to be extremely abstract in conversation and will run pretty much any subject into the ground (when everybody else finished talking lke 10 minutes ago, they will still be talking about it haha).

Uh...don't think this is a good indicator. Not all INFJ's are talkers in that way. There's a big gradient when it comes to level of extroversion/talking with INFJ's. You go from ones who speak very little to ones who can talk your ear off. ;-) But abstract subjects, and more generalized words, yes.

Subjects my INFJ friends and I always talk about or come back to are relationships/psychology/analyzing that stuff, more philosophical/life path/life purpose stuff, sometimes religion, society at large, etc. Substantial psychological/sociological slants to everything. (not saying this is what all INFJ's would talk about though)

G

Glycerine

Uh...don't think this is a good indicator. Not all INFJ's are talkers in that way. There's a big gradient when it comes to level of extroversion/talking with INFJ's. You go from ones who speak very little to ones who can talk your ear off. ;-) But abstract subjects, and more generalized words, yes.

Subjects my INFJ friends and I always talk about or come back to are relationships/psychology/analyzing that stuff, more philosophical/life path/life purpose stuff, sometimes religion, society at large, etc. Substantial psychological/sociological slants to everything. (not saying this is what all INFJ's would talk about though)

oh ok, thank you for that insight. I was going off my own experience. I only know one other INFJ and that's how we both operate. Most people would confuse me for a big extrovert. So what would a quieter INFJ look like to the outside world? You seem like you would be one; quiet and thoughtful. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh ok, thank you for that insight. I was going off my own experience. I only know one other INFJ and that's how we both operate. Most people would confuse me for a big extrovert. So what would a quieter INFJ look like to the outside world? You seem like you would be one; quiet and thoughtful. :)

Yes, I am definitely a quieter INFJ. :) However, I have a wonderful INFJ friend who is very much as you describe. She can most definitely come across as an extrovert, as she is extremely talkative.

I guess in comparison I come across as rather contemplative and thoughtful (not that she isn't, lol), with occasional short bursts of enthusiasm or energy. Like I said, I don't say a whole lot. I perhaps come across more NT-ish than NF-ish (for example, comparing myself to my talkative INFJ friend), but really it depends on whose company I am with - this stuff can be rather relative. To give you some perspective, about 7 yrs ago a male INTP thought I was the same type as he. :smile:

If I'm on one end of the continuum and my talkative INFJ friend is on the other, a 3rd INFJ I know is closer to my end, a 4th INFJ is pretty much smack in the middle, and a 5th INFJ is kinda in the middle too.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not a big talker.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I'm a talker. It's just what I do. It's like my thing! :p Learn from me! :)

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think one of the beautiful and frustrating things about INFJs is that from the outside we can seem like 100 different people. There are times when I am quiet as a mouse and other times when I will talk your ear off. Internally, however, my mind is always in overdrive. I think that IDK's comment about not giving up on a topic even when everyone else has is very true, but often manifests itself in internal conversations rather than external. I can be in a coversation with several people, be silent for quite awhile, then as soon as there's a break in the conversation be all, "But back to what we you said before..." Even worse, sometimes I don't even give the transition and will just mention my new insight. Then everyone else will be all, "what? We finished with that topic 10 minutes ago."

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I can't really describe how I recognise another NF, I wouldn't just by looking at them, but if we got talking there would be this instant click.

It's happened with infj's, enfp's and infp's. Not enough experience with enfj's so can't speak for them.

But NF's seem to be on my wavelength, I don't need to explain a joke, the laughs are abounding, their warmth exudes from almost everything they say, there is this click moment, and I know without fail that they would test as an NF.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think one of the beautiful and frustrating things about INFJs is that from the outside we can seem like 100 different people. There are times when I am quiet as a mouse and other times when I will talk your ear off.

Ditto.
I think that IDK's comment about not giving up on a topic even when everyone else has is very true, but often manifests itself in internal conversations rather than external. I can be in a coversation with several people, be silent for quite awhile, then as soon as there's a break in the conversation be all, "But back to what we you said before..." Even worse, sometimes I don't even give the transition and will just mention my new insight. Then everyone else will be all, "what? We finished with that topic 10 minutes ago."

My friends always say that, "LA, we're past that discussion." But I'm not! I definitely run topics into the ground.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Very informative!

To help out with the whole ENFJ identification problem the best thing I would say is to look where that persons interests are. In my conversations I will 95% of the time focus on a certain aspect of the persons life I am talking to instead of commenting on say something happening around us or other outside influences.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ok, we can scratch INFJs off the list. Now, on to the other 15 types. :D

/wave @ INFJs!!

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For me personally, I am certainly sensitive (a matter of opinion whether it's in excess ;) ), but someone wouldn't be able to type me based on it. I just don't show my (over)sensitivity to people. It's probably the last thing I show someone in the process of opening up and getting to know a person - if I ever show them. (That's what cold dark nights under the covers are for)