• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Could INFPs lack a compatible type?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For you. It's also very boring for you. :yes:

Do whatever works. I've tried to hit it off with two INFJs, after we got to really know each other the conversation just wasn't interesting anymore. That was for a relationship though, for friendship they are great.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Maybe an ENTP, or an ENFJ. (Don't take too many of the females away from the latter. I'm seeking one.)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
INFPs most compatible type is clearly INTP.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Don't you say that about every type?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I think Costrin has it wrong. It's the INFPs who are the INTPs' compatible type. ;)

Frank

My aunt and uncle enfp/infp respectively have what seems to be a pretty great relationship. Sure they have had some downs but any two people will.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't you say that about every type?

I think he/she/it does.

Yes. Because it's true. Not necessarily in reverse though.

I think Costrin has it wrong. It's the INFPs who are the INTPs' compatible type. ;)

Actually... me n' BlackCat were talking about this. I came up with some pretty awesome rationalizations justifications excuses TRUTHFUL FACTS about this relationship.

Basically, Fi and Fe can be complimentary. Fi is selfish and wants to be loved. Fe is selfless and wants to nurture. Dominant Fi helps bring out and aids the INTPs inferior Fe. But on the other hand, Fe can be manipulative, and Fi hates being manipulated. But inferior Fe is weak enough where that won't be a problem as often.

Similiar with Ti and Te. Ti wants to understand, Te wants to apply. Dominant Ti brings out and aids inferior Te.

The secondary function also supposedly is the parenting function, how people give advice, and help others and stuff. People can get stuck in tertiary temptation. So they get stuck in a TiSi/FiSi loop. The way to get out of the loop is to use your secondary function. And because INPs using Ne as a parenting function, they easily get each other out of the negative loop.

imo
So uh... yeah. Hope that made sense.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Yes. Because it's true. Not necessarily in reverse though.

Actually... me n' BlackCat were talking about this. I came up with some pretty awesome rationalizations justifications excuses TRUTHFUL FACTS about this relationship.

Basically, Fi and Fe can be complimentary. Fi is selfish and wants to be loved. Fe is selfless and wants to nurture. Dominant Fi helps bring out and aids the INTPs inferior Fe. But on the other hand, Fe can be manipulative, and Fi hates being manipulated. But inferior Fe is weak enough where that won't be a problem as often.

Similiar with Ti and Te. Ti wants to understand, Te wants to apply. Dominant Ti brings out and aids inferior Te.

The secondary function also supposedly is the parenting function, how people give advice, and help others and stuff. People can get stuck in tertiary temptation. So they get stuck in a TiSi/FiSi loop. The way to get out of the loop is to use your secondary function. And because INPs using Ne as a parenting function, they easily get each other out of the negative loop.

imo
So uh... yeah. Hope that made sense.

This just proves that, with enough effort, anything sounds good on paper.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, there's not too much more to say...
The reason I took an interest in noticing how many INFP/ISTJ couples there are is because my sister is an INFP and has been married to an ISTJ... for over 20 years.

In the past year and a half that I've been on this forum, I've taken the trouble to notice the married relationships that other ISTJs or INFPs were in. I didn't really keep a count, so I don't have any statistics, but like I said, there were at least a half dozen married couples of that combination. And it seemed to me like the great majority of successful relationships for INFPs or ISTJs were of that combination.

Disclaimer: There are always exceptions to everything.

The two ISTJ girls I know I seem to have less in common with and are as cold as the day I met them. The first one hooked up with an INFJ instead and isn't likely to talk to me again. And the next one in my life is hooked up with an INTP and conversation is awkward like the back of a nail clipboard.

Its all about confidence and a healthy sense of self in the end. Without confidence and a healthy self belief, this isn't just for INFP's although more susceptible, a girl will pass you by for lacking the proactive attitude at times. Which I know is something that is an issue for introversion in general since the processing is different though more for some than others.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I would go brilliantly with an intj (or perhaps a mature entp). I just...have...to...find...one...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:violin:

the irony being that INFPs' biggest issue in any domain, relationships included, is... themselves! ((that's okay, mine too))]

speaking of, i've heard INFP + INFP works well. and INFP + ENFP. and INFP + ISTJ. and INFP + ENFJ.

seriously though INFPs are lovely and i can see people of many sorts being in relationships with them. i really feel like ultimately, a whole host of factors matters way more than type. type will just tend to show up in conflicts, and is a convenient scapegoat.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:violin:

the irony being that INFPs' biggest issue in any domain, relationships included, is... themselves! ((that's okay, mine too))]

Well, that's encouraging...

------

IDK about the ISTJ match. On a few other message boards, it seems every month or so there is a post from an INFP woman married to an STJ who is miserable & dying to get out of the marriage. These matches sound truly nightmarish to me....They're basically treated like a child & have their viewpoints consistently invalidated, their ideals trampled over, and their life systematized like a bootcamp. These stats seem to support that while frequent, the STJ + NFP pairing may not be ideal....

From: http://www.personalitydesk.com/story/compatibility-and-your-myers-briggs-personality-type
• Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving types (INFP and ENFP) had a satisfaction rate of only 42% when they were paired with Sensing, Thinking, Judging types (ESTJ and ISTJ), although this was one of the more common pairings among the couples studied. The NFP partner is likely to feel that their partner is conservative and stifling, while the STJ partner may find their partner unpredictable and unreliable.

• There are two combinations where opposites seem to attract: ESTJ men with INFP women, and ESTP men with INFJ women. However, this may be due in part to the fact that these two types of men are also the most likely to be married multiple times.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Peace Baby is happily married to an ESTJ.

Also, I don't know how bad an ISTJ would actually be if they had well developed Fi and Ne and really awesome, pretentious Si/Te aesthetic taste for the finer things in life. :coffee:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I'm sure it works for some....and we probably hear less about the happy matches, but the amount of STJ-INFP miserable marriages threads is rather daunting.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Yeeeeaaaah. I certainly don't fall into the category of having developed Fi, so I'm not sure if my opinion counts... But ISTJ-INFP sounds painful to me.