• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and being funny

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm damn funny. Somebody else said that about me, so I'll take it. I'm good with the occasional dry one-liner, and if I'm very relaxed, I'm goofy-silly, clownish. Pretty much only family or people I've known for years see that side. I can't tell a joke to save my life but the way I tell it is so bad, it makes people laugh, so sometimes I try, figuring I will get a laugh either way. But people think I'm funniest when I rant. I rant when my sense of absurdity is overflowing so I lay the situation out and point out all the absurdities in detail, and it makes people fall down laughing.

ETA: I've been complimented on my speaking voice, too -- low and melodious. I laugh too loud, though.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But people think I'm funniest when I rant. I rant when my sense of absurdity is overflowing so I lay the situation out and point out all the absurdities in detail, and it makes people fall down laughing.

I do this as well. It's scary how similar we INFJs seem to be around humour.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
On a broader note, I have wondered this a lot, but are Ps in general more prone to goof off then Js? it'd be nice if I knew, I always get caught there when typing people.

As for INFJs, I don't think they are a more performing type, but every type has a little bit of entertainment in it.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am the funniest person in the world. I just crack myself up more so then any other human being on the planet. Hubby is the second funniest.

Apparently I am at my funniest when I talk about what goes on in my head!
I am great at making one liners and am very goofy and silly. I like every kind of comedy and participate in it. I even like it when people explain jokes- it just thrills me!

From laughing at doody to intelligent sarcasm man- humor is one of my top five all time personal values!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
lol that's a good thread. It really seems that the bottle of humor has been passed by my mutual INFJ friend aswell :D. I really never noticed it, but its true. So humor is a thing that does make communication more easy and we got communications problems from the beginning.

But emotionally I never missed it and I only started to think about it recently. Our way of communicating is far stretched, reaches widely out and humor is no tool needed for the communication to work.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
all my infj friend has to do is laugh... because he laughs at almost everything (with people he is comfortable with).. and it's hilarious. although, i sometimes have to ask what was funny after the laughing stops.

Brooke

MBTI Type
infj
I'm pretty un-funny. My ENTP brother, while making a list of funniest people he knows, said this about me: "Furthermore, the person who I would consider my favorite person in the world (my brother) is totally not funny at all."

I'm really not. And I have this habit of taking everyone else's jokes literally.

Ha. I'm told I'm quite funny, which is nice. That said, there are few things I find more attractive than someone being that literal. Well done, mate.

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
all my infj friend has to do is laugh... because he laughs at almost everything (with people he is comfortable with).. and it's hilarious. although, i sometimes have to ask what was funny after the laughing stops.

This is so me!! I think because in my mind, laughter is a form of an ice breaker.. I tend to be a serious person and my humor isn't exactly "popular" type humor.. So, laughing is a good way in getting on peoples good side and having something to talk about.

Cirrus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Playful irony is a hobby of mine... :p I'm not a loud, laugh-at-everything type of person, but it depends on the company I'm in. With friends my humour is often sarcastic, one-liners, that kind of thing, but with family I'm very much for laughing out loud with no regrets since I feel more confident with family.

Only friends think I'm funny though, lol. Strangers tend to think I have no sense of humour which is totally untrue.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I trip over my own words a lot, which usually riles up a few laughs from my friends. I have a tendency to switch words in a sentence [i.e. -an example a friend of mine said that was hilarious to envision, as I can't think of any of my own at the moment-- "A car shit on my bird." The bolded words being in the wrong places...].

I can be pretty goofy sometimes, too. Especially around the younger members of my family. Younger cousins and my brothers- I'll generally cut loose and do strange accents and voices. Sometimes I cut in with intentional innuendos [Today at work, a co-worker was messing with a trash-can I was attempting to clean out and I told him to "Quit molesting my can." My supervisor about died laughing. :D]

Then there is the unintentional laugh- when I do something stupid, have a sensotard moment, or am just trapped in a day full of clumsiness.

Cirrus

MBTI Type
INFJ
I trip over my own words a lot, which usually riles up a few laughs from my friends. I have a tendency to switch words in a sentence [i.e. -an example a friend of mine said that was hilarious to envision, as I can't think of any of my own at the moment-- "A car shit on my bird." The bolded words being in the wrong places...].

LOL! I do this quite a lot as well! I tend to trip over my words a lot when I am excited and trying to explain something very fast, and my friends find this very funny.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
How do you entertain others? :blush:

One INFJ I know just appears to be herself without doing anything, but occasionally will produce amusing moments by being clumsy etc. She's constantly laughing at other peoples jokes.

OMG you just reminded me of this INFj friend I used to have. Somehow he would do, say the clumsiest and so out left field shit that me and my other friends couldn't help but burst laughing out loud at his stuff. The funny thing is that he was completely serious about the things he said and believed. Thanks for bringng back memories.:D

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
LOL! I do this quite a lot as well! I tend to trip over my words a lot when I am excited and trying to explain something very fast, and my friends find this very funny.

Yeah! That's usually when I screw up my speech. When I'm super angry, excited, or just moving my mouth faster than it can process the words I'm thinking. It ends in hilarity or humility, usually. :doh:

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Somehow he would do, say the clumsiest and so out left field shit that me and my other friends couldn't help but burst laughing out loud at his stuff. The funny thing is that he was completely serious about the things he said and believed. Thanks for bringing back memories.:D

^ This, the sensotard moments, horrible puns, occasional one-liners. My biggest problem with humor is that my best wit comes out at the expense of others, be it just teasing, or when I'm angry and tapping into that biting sarcasm we're imfamous for. >< Which of course my values keep me from using most of the time, or make me feel awful for when it slips.

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wear a serious expression on my face much of the time, but if met with absurd moments others seem to miss completely, I'll lose it. I'll see something on the train that makes me burst into a loud, raucous, wail of laughter and I have no shame in laughing for a long time, especially when no one else gets the joke.