• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and being funny

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My sense of humor tends to be intellectual and subtle in nature. Plenty of people have commented about the subtle aspects of my humor. Bantering is also a big part of my comedy act. IMHO, bantering is probably the highest form of humor.

Surely you jest!

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a very dry sense of humour and often comment on the absurdities of daily life. I have had other people in stitches with some of my off-the-wall comments.

However, I also do the "unintentional thing" where stuff just pours out of my mouth before I can censor it. I put some of this down to Sagittarius foot-in-mouth syndrome.

A dear, slightly overweight female friend once told me how her new man literally swept her off her feet by scooping her up into his arms. Before I could stop myself, I replied:
"Oh! He must be really strong!". <curls up and dies in corner with shame....>

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely laugh-out-loud. That's probably one of my own personal quirks and indicative of some sort of pathological shame-thing; as opposed to being specific to my Type. I just smirk slightly, or laugh in a weird, almost muted way and cover my mouth. Hardly ever are there actual vocal sounds. I don't think I've ever giggled in my entire life.

I do find myself amused often. Either from watching others, like, personal moments between groups of people I don't even know. Hearing bits of conversations. Rarely do I point these things out to someone I'm with at the time. Almost a sort of, "well, ya just had to be there.." sort of quality.. though they were standing beside me the entire time. If that makes sense. It's times like that, when I get this little smirk on my face, and my friends wonder what the hell I'm thinking about. I have an INxP friend who picks up on a lot of the subtlties in our surroundings that I do.. so we're both just walking around, or sitting.. laughing to ourselves, together.

I am not outwardly amusing too often. I don't try to be. I don't particularly try to be anything. The points in time where I make others laugh are often unintentional on my part. I'm huge klutz. I embrace it. Friends literally keep count of how many things I drop in a day. And I just hang my head and laugh inwardly. Sometimes people seem amused about how I word things, or describe things. Random, cynical remarks stated matter-of-factly, as I move along to a lighter topic without missing a beat. No anticipation of laughter. I may make terrible puns on rare occasion... which is very intentional, on my part... They typically merit the response from my closest friends: "...I hate you." That for some reason makes me laugh the most. I love watching people react. And just watching people.

But yeah.. most of the things about my personality that amuses others are, or seem to come off as, very unintentional, and subtle. My acting teachers have always stressed how the best comic moments are when the actor does not anticipate the laughter. Guess it's about remaining genuine.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you other INFJs get the giggles at things that are going on inside your own mind? I do, and it can be quite embarassing when I suddenly burst out laughing at some absurdity I've just thought of. :rofl1::blush:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you other INFJs get the giggles at things that are going on inside your own mind? I do, and it can be quite embarassing when I suddenly burst out laughing at some absurdity I've just thought of. :rofl1::blush:

I'll attempt to tell someone I'm with about it before the laughter takes over.. and lose it somewhat mid-sentence. Then they just laugh at me for being ridiculous.. or look really confused.. which [either response] just makes me laugh harder..

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll attempt to tell someone I'm with about it before the laughter takes over.. and lose it somewhat mid-sentence. Then they just laugh at me for being ridiculous.. or look really confused.. which makes me laugh harder..

I do this too. Just reading your description is making me giggle already!

Another thing I do a lot is snarf food or drink all other the place when someone cracks a funny while I'm eating or drinking.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do this too. Just reading your description is making me giggle already!

Another thing I do a lot is snarf food or drink all other the place when someone cracks a funny while I'm eating or drinking.

Eh... I eat like a 5yr old as it is.. I end up with food on my shoulder.. or back.. it's a mystery. But when someone says or does something hilarious while I'm.. feeding.. my usual response is choking. Violently. Somehow I don't make a mess.

Another moment in time where I unintentionally make others laugh.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My friends have said my sense of humor is very dry and twisted -- I suspect this is because I grew up on a diet rich in British comedy and horror movies.

G

Glycerine

Oh yeah, it's also kind of mocking, sarcastic and very subtle so people mistake it for meanness.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My friends have said my sense of humor is very dry and twisted -- I suspect this is because I grew up on a diet rich in British comedy and horror movies.

Agreed. I was brought up from a very early age [probably not the "best" choice my mom made.. though I disagree] on all kinds of horror movies, novels, etc. And Monty Python...

sidenote: Dawn of The Dead. Amazing. Your avatar has made my night.

I also have to agree with the post directly above mine.
I hate when that happens.. and try to save certain remarks for the select few I'm sure won't take it the wrong way. I never want to inadvertently hurt someone else's feelings.. it's either that or explain myself to them.. exhausting.. and just sucks the fun out of it. My INTJ friend says the stuff I'm thinking often.. and doesn't mind if it offends... and I laugh.. and talk about how we're going to hell. I'm trying to book a tea party down there.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sometimes think it must be amusing for the other person, because I'm so quiet, but my laughs can be rather loud, and I'm not self-conscious with my laughing or anything.

INFJs have an almost lyrical and melodic laugh. It's usually surprisingly loud and genuine, and it fills a room. :wubbie:

Other observations:

Banter. They always have a comeback.

Often under the radar. Oftentimes I get the feeling they are testing for connections by seeing who really gets what their humor is about.

One INFJ I knew was very sarcastic. Not mean, mind you, but her humor was very dry. The way to her heart was to be Bill Murray.

Another INFJ I knew was very sharp and intelligent, but had perpetual blond moments (to the point where I wonder if she played them up a bit). She would say just the silliest things, such as "Hey Udog, how far do you live from your home?", and then laugh uncontrollably when everyone starts joking with her about it.

hopeseed

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4 w5
How do you entertain others? :blush:

One INFJ I know just appears to be herself without doing anything, but occasionally will produce amusing moments by being clumsy etc. She's constantly laughing at other peoples jokes.

I like this thread. I think a lot of times I laugh at everyone’s jokes because I see some layers of humor in them. It may be the joke is funny as the person meant; it may be funny to hear that particular person tell a certain joke. It may remind me of something that was funny in the past or I might feel like the person simply looks funny telling the joke...there's always something to laugh about...we are all funny creatures!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Often under the radar. Oftentimes I get the feeling they are testing for connections by seeing who really gets what their humor is about.

One INFJ I knew was very sarcastic. Not mean, mind you, but her humor was very dry. The way to her heart was to be Bill Murray.

!!!! :yes:

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really enjoying this thread. Humour is a lifesaver for me: absolutely the best way to cope when life becomes sub-optimal.

Even my Tarot deck has a sense of humour. I'm developing a nasty head cold today, and I was feeling particularly death-like when I drew a card this morning. The card was, of course, "Death"! I'm not sure what my family must have made of the slightly hysterical shriek of laughter that followed.....

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
My INFJ ex made some of the best jokes.. Most of the times- it was an impersonation or something he saw that was funny on Comedy Central.

Actually, the *way* he told his jokes was much funnier than watching the actual joke itself. Pretty hilarious. He had some mad skillz!! :glasses:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How do you entertain others? :blush:

One INFJ I know just appears to be herself without doing anything, but occasionally will produce amusing moments by being clumsy etc. She's constantly laughing at other peoples jokes.

I don't really entertain others on purpose usually. Sometimes I come up with something really funny on accident, but if I try, I usually do a terrible job at humor.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
INFJs have an almost lyrical and melodic laugh. It's usually surprisingly loud and genuine, and it fills a room. :wubbie:
I definitely have that.:D Even when I'm just talking, it's quite apparent, with my natural intonations and such.

I enjoy and can utilize lots of different styles of humor, though when I'm being funny myself, I never plan on it. I laugh at myself a lot too.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
I think of myself as being highly entertaining when in familiar company. Not in a telling jokes kind of way (I suck at that) but just some of the shit that comes out of my mouth. I can laugh at myself so hard sometimes. I have the worst puns too! I use humor to get past tough times and to lighten the mood when it gets too serious and gloomy.

I was visiting my mother in the hospital this weekend and I was all dressed up in the hospital garb doing the robot and just being silly in general. I love that I can make my family laugh. It's about the only thing that brings me and my siblings together. I'm the 3rd out of 4 kids and they do not get along with each other but they all get along with me. I am the common denominator.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, I think that's me. Same with speaking voice (erm..speaking voice isn't loud, but is melodious).

I'm reminded of one time, maybe 8 years ago, when I was doing some internet dating (eek;)) and I first talked with someone on the phone. He commented after the conversation that he had been surprised that my voice was so melodic...that based on my writing, he'd expected it to be lower-pitched and more serious/school-teacherish.:smile: