• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] infp mind set

Frank

I was wondering what in others can bring out your mean or aggressive side? Please don't just say a violation of your principles without stating what those particular principles are.

Also, if you have it articulated in your head, could you give your general philosophy towards other people?

I ask these things because the infp's I know irl seem to have an almost "saintly" disposition towards others and I'm trying to get a better idea on what makes them tick. Any insight is appreciated.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
You want to know how to make your friends mad? You lil devil!

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Intentionally make one of my friends sad, and you're on my shit list. I'm trying to think of how to word this one... I get really angry when people argue with me about something I KNOW isn't true, especially if it's just for the sake of being argumentative. Particularly if it's towards me (like.. about my character. Us NFs and our sense of self and all. XD). I second guess myself all the time.. so when I'm sure about something, it's damn well true, and I don't want lies to spread. And.. this can be a really insignificant point too.. like.. really dumb.. like.. "who took the last paperclip?" I just don't like people not knowing the truth if there's something I can do about it. Also, I tend to get upset(though not wrathful, because I know it's just kidding) when people play practical jokes on me. I don't like being reminded of how easy it is to get one over on me. I'll spend the next hour beating myself up over why I couldn't catch the trick. :(

General Philosophy? For every strength there is an opposite weakness, and vice versa. Each person has a good, useful side when put in the right situation. That same characteristic may make them asses in a different situation. So let the person be who they are and love them for their strengths and forgive them their weaknesses.

(Though, this is very general. There are people don't attempt to find or use their strengths at all, or intentionally use them to hurt others, and that's just not cool.)

Frank

28 views and two answers? Come on people hook me up. I swear it is not for evil purposes. Just trying to understand those around me a little better. You know, working on the f.

Thanks for your reply wolf.

heart

heart on fire
^ You could also just read the posts by INFP on the board. No one really needs to give seperate answers here.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think my greatest prejudice comes out when people are rude/selfish.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Frank, you're not going to to get your questions answered. The least preferred function of an INFP is Thinking, as a result many are led to demonize many ideas associated with Thinking. They often get upset when matters of Thinking are applied directly to their personal lives. Hence, such INFPs will interpret your thread as an attempt to analyze them, which strikes them as a grave evil.

If you want to understand INFPs, you need to observe them on your own, and carefully analyze them on your own endeavor. You will not understand the INFPs by discussing with them, because discussion inevitably introducing Thinking into the matter which they loathe. In short, do not be trying to have a reasonable discussion with INFPs on this board. That is very naive of you. They will almost always find a way to misunderstand your message, attribute sinister motives to your intentions and assume this is all some kind of an underhand attack on their character. Some INFPs will not behave in such a fashion, yet they will still fail to provide answers to your questions. In order to give you the answers that you are seeking, one must carefully think through the problem you have posed. Most INFPs on this board are not skilled enough at this activity to answer the question.

Just give up on this, do your own research.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
In short, do not be trying to have a reasonable discussion with INFPs on this board. That is very naive of you.

Does this mean you won't discuss with us anymore? Or, does it mean you admit being naive?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Tsk, SW.

A man of deep thought stereotyping? Naughty, naughty.:nono:

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
See? That's what I'm talking about with the "not true" and "against me."

Way to post that AFTER a counter example. :nice:

(Anger shown by the fact that I'm actually irritated enough to post, when really I should just shrug it off because this is just what he does.)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Frank, you're not going to to get your questions answered. The least preferred function of an INFP is Thinking, as a result many are led to demonize many ideas associated with Thinking. They often get upset when matters of Thinking are applied directly to their personal lives. Hence, such INFPs will interpret your thread as an attempt to analyze them, which strikes them as a grave evil.

If you want to understand INFPs, you need to observe them on your own, and carefully analyze them on your own endeavor. You will not understand the INFPs by discussing with them, because discussion inevitably introducing Thinking into the matter which they loathe. In short, do not be trying to have a reasonable discussion with INFPs on this board. That is very naive of you. They will almost always find a way to misunderstand your message, attribute sinister motives to your intentions and assume this is all some kind of an underhand attack on their character. Some INFPs will not behave in such a fashion, yet they will still fail to provide answers to your questions. In order to give you the answers that you are seeking, one must carefully think through the problem you have posed. Most INFPs on this board are not skilled enough at this activity to answer the question.

Just give up on this, do your own research.

I suppose, to be fair, I could tackle this piece of negativity. SW is presenting a stereotypical unhealthy INFP here.

A healthy INFP will have these tendencies but will resist playing mind games with other humans. Any healthy type knows that that is not the way to mutual understanding.

We sometimes find it difficult to put our thoughts/feelings into language that some of the other types are able to comprehend. Some of us haven't learned how to state that in an honest and straightforward way.

Understanding is a two-way street in that, while it requires openess from the one being questioned, it also requires open-mindedness on the part of the questioner.

A healthy INFP will make an effort to give people a peek at their makeup but given my natural sensitivity to harsh criticism I tend to avoid doing so with people who have preconceived notions of my abilities/motivation.

There. That wasn't so hard, I think.

If people seem genuinely interested in me and I don't sense any hostile intent behind the questions I don't have any problem offering personal material.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think INFPs are most willing to talk about their lives. I have talked about this subject couple of times already so... I don't bother right now. I might dig up the threads, though... if it's of any help.

A healthy INFP will have these tendencies but will resist playing mind games with other humans.

I play mind games with dogs. That is the healthy way.

EDIT:

Here's a couple of related threads... I didn't find the one that is answering exactly the questions of the OP, though... Maybe someone else will:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/11413-what-your-nf-values.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/6358-what-happens-when-nf-explodes.html

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Frank, you're not going to to get your questions answered.

SolitaryWalker, I take your opinion seriously in virtue of your value for it, yet I also don't take you seriously, for the thought that you may want to change your opinion later and not be held to what you've said. I think I can speak for others here, even if they seem to disagree.

I was wondering what in others can bring out your mean or aggressive side?

I struggle with indifference. The relationship between Rei Ayanami and Asuka Langley Soryu in Neon Genesis Evangelion is exactly the dynamic I have in mind. I can act JUST like Asuka, trying to impress people but also being insecure about my own abilities and my ability to fit in. Sometimes, everyone in the world can seem like an indifferent Rei who won't look at me or take me seriously, and where I'm typically calm, in moments I can lash out as hysterically as Asuka can when I feel particularly alienated.

You can ask, what causes this feeling? And it is my own attacks on myself. I understand the perceptual nature of the dynamic. It's all in my head, and that's the only place I can work with it. So you can ask, what behaviors in others trigger self-attack? But I would wonder if you haven't been paying attention. It is a matter of perception. Perceiving external causes to internal conflicts are always projections which are illusory.

Asuka says it herself, "this isn't me". And it's not me either. It's just a common psychological/behavioral pattern I've experienced. But I mean to be clear: even its reappearance over time doesn't mean it has any power, or is true in its implications. I simply make mistakes in my thinking. The dynamic my be completely depersonalized, and thus generalized. For wasn't alienation everyone's fundamental "problem"? Every human dynamic is ultimately expressed in every individual, either implicitly or explicitly, because every functional attitude is required to compose the human. What then is the importance of preferences for tendencies to over- or under-express certain dynamics except as a matter of contingent natural or learned ability?

You will not understand the INFPs by discussing with them, because discussion inevitably introducing Thinking into the matter which they loathe. ... In order to give you the answers that you are seeking, one must carefully think through the problem you have posed.

On the second point, SW has offered good advice. There's something to discussing the nature of things and people and ideas and such with others, but also a lot to be said for thinking critically about the matter yourself. True creativity always arose from the individual.

On the first point, there is an element of truth, and we can take SW's statement as a warning. It's very easy for many of us feeler types to become over-enthusiastic about raw experience and take "The letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life" too much to heart, suspecting reason of necessarily abstracting and isolating oneself where the point is to live. But this crime is distinct from reason, which was always the sole faculty capable of producing clarity, and clarity the sole guarantee of safe passage through the unknown, where all that manifests is seen in the light of reason. (These words are not indifferently correlated.)

Frank

Shit! I think I'm more confused now then when I started this thread:thinking:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Shit! I think I'm more confused now then when I started this thread:thinking:

Well, to explain some of this.. SolitaryWalker has this reputation of making these negative statements about INFPs in particular. He is also known as BlueWing. If you don't know that, I bet you're confused.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Just needed a little attention tonight and so very INFP-like we generously provided it.

You welcome, SW. Anytime. :smile:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Whoopee! "First, pls. explain exactly what you meant by that." she says, suspiciously.