• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] infp mind set

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
SolitaryWalker, I take your opinion seriously in virtue of your value for it, yet I also don't take you seriously, for the thought that you may want to change your opinion later and not be held to what you've said. I think I can speak for others here, even if they seem to disagree..)

I bet you can't point out a single statement in my post that is false, and even more so that you're unable to make a sound argument in favor the claim that any of my statements are false.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Still trolling for a little fishie today, SW?

I think The Dawg, nolla and anti spoke pretty well regarding our group mindset about endless arguments about who's right and who's wrong. Most of us, I think, don't care.

I speak out of turn in response to your question to anti. Nonetheless, not one of your statements is necessarily in error if you put the phrase, "Have a tendency toward. . ." in front of them.

It is your assumption that all INFPs are unhealthy which makes your argument invalid from the start.

But then we both know that you're here to try to best us in the place we live and that's rude and selfish, Guy. ;)

Keep trying and one of us will probably give your specious argument a little nibble. Then the game is on!

Poor Frank. Looks like you're geting pre-empted.

Frank

Nah I got some pretty good answers. It appears sw is just doing his thing. Attempting to be the authority on personality types and human behaviour without what appears to be much real world experience. I have no doubt that he is extremely intelligent and able to interpret theory brilliantly, but the truth is interpretations will be fruitless until one is able to come down from their tower and actually mix it up with us common folk. Its kind of like trying to appreciate sex based on definitions of physiological responses. Not really a good substitute for experience.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oooo... Anja - can I bite?

If you want to understand INFPs, you need to observe them on your own, and carefully analyze them on your own endeavor. You will not understand the INFPs by discussing with them, because discussion inevitably *introducing Thinking into the matter which they loathe*. In short, do *not be trying to have a reasonable discussion with INFPs on this board*. That is very naive of you. They will almost always find a way to misunderstand your message, attribute sinister motives to your intentions and assume this is all some kind of an underhand attack on their character. Some INFPs will not behave in such a fashion, yet they will still fail to provide answers to your questions. In order to give you the answers that you are seeking, one must carefully think through the problem you have posed. *Most INFPs on this board are not skilled enough at this activity to answer the question.*

Your claims are self-fulfilling prophesies that seem to be a natural consequence of your manner of communication. The bolded response flows naturally from the italicized *starred statements and assumptions* you make.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah I got some pretty good answers. It appears sw is just doing his thing. Attempting to be the authority on personality types and human behaviour without what appears to be much real world experience. I have no doubt that he is extremely intelligent and able to interpret theory brilliantly, but the truth is interpretations will be fruitless until one is able to come down from their tower and actually mix it up with the common folk. Its kind of like trying to appreciate sex based on definitions of physiological responses. Not really a good substitute for experience.

I like this guy, he's cool. :D

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Still trolling for a little fishie today, SW?

I think The Dawg, nolla and anti spoke pretty well regarding our group mindset about endless arguments about who's right and who's wrong. Most of us, I think, don't care.

I speak out of turn in response to your question to anti. Nonetheless, not one of your statements is necessarily in error if you put the phrase, "Have a tendency toward. . ." in front of them.

It is your assumption that all INFPs are unhealthy which makes your argument invalid from the start.

But then we both know that you're here to try to best us in the place we live and that's rude and selfish, Guy. ;)

Keep trying and one of us will probably give your specious argument a little nibble. Then the game is on!

Poor Frank. Looks like you're geting pre-empted.

Where in my post does it say that all INFPs are unhealthy?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Not playing today, SW, sorry.

Maybe someone else will play your game with you.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I was wondering what in others can bring out your mean or aggressive side? Please don't just say a violation of your principles without stating what those particular principles are.

Also, if you have it articulated in your head, could you give your general philosophy towards other people?

I ask these things because the infp's I know irl seem to have an almost "saintly" disposition towards others and I'm trying to get a better idea on what makes them tick. Any insight is appreciated.

Anything that annoys me consistently for an extended period of time will probably bring out my mean/aggressive side. It's not violation of principles, it's just general aggravation. And my general philosophy I can think of that I've ever articulated that might relate to people is that, they're essentially the same as me. And that it's okay to listen to other people and be influenced by them and let them shape you, as long as you can do the same to other people as well.

heart

heart on fire
One thing that really makes me lose respect for a person is when they form their judgements without using critical thought, especially if they refuse to explain where they came up with such to begin with.

Another thing that really bothers me is people who form opinions on topics without researching anything about those topics.

People who don't have a strong moral core are also hard to respect. If someone is inconsistant with the way they conduct their ethical life or throw out their opinions, it is very hard to trust or respect them.

I hate when people make excuses for bullies, when people won't fight against a bully, when people won't admit that evil exists around them and make excuses for it. I blame them even more than the abusive person.

I think a lot of pop psychology is applied wrongly and perpetuates people's tendancies to want to hide from evil, to deny evil, to "forgive" evil, etc. I think it also encourages denial of unhappiness etc. It's another example of people not wanting to study a subject deeply but just taking away a surface level of understanding and thinking that they are adept.

People say it all the time "I don't want to think about evil. I don't even want to believe in evil!" They say it in all sorts of different ways but they say it.

These people are the biggest reason for the woes in the world.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I was wondering what in others can bring out your mean or aggressive side? Please don't just say a violation of your principles without stating what those particular principles are.

When people are assholes, without provocation.

When people stand by watching, while someone needs help.

When someone is being taken advantage of, willingly or unwillingly.

Also, if you have it articulated in your head, could you give your general philosophy towards other people?

Generally, treat others as I want to be treated.

And if they want to be a dickhead, and if I am not able to find an amicable compromise, or a reason to ignore it, reciprocate. Physically if necessary.

I have lost jobs because of it.
:)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nah I got some pretty good answers. It appears sw is just doing his thing. Attempting to be the authority on personality types and human behaviour without what appears to be much real world experience. I have no doubt that he is extremely intelligent and able to interpret theory brilliantly, but the truth is interpretations will be fruitless until one is able to come down from their tower and actually mix it up with us common folk. Its kind of like trying to appreciate sex based on definitions of physiological responses. Not really a good substitute for experience.

Not interpet, but structure my own. Many of the interpretations of Jungian typology contained sinister errors such as for instance the MBTI denotation of J, which shows that the only Judging types are the Extroverted Judging types. Clearly, judgment is both Introverted and Extroverted. It is also the case that Jung did not say all that needs to be said about typology. Hence, in order to get satisfactory results with regard to this subject one cannot merely interpret theory, whether the theory is Jung's or that of the current writers. One must do his own thinking.

If it is a good theory, it shall be confirmed by empirical investigation. Granted that the empirical investigation has been conducted properly. If in theory you say that if you drop a stone from a high building, it will fall, and if it is a good theory, there is no reason at all why when you go to test this out, the stone will not fall from the building.

I also had plenty of experiences with INFPs. I am around them all the time and have been for the past few years. But I hope that you will wish to have more of such experiences than I do after you have had some of them.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four

Basically, a negative evaluation of my performance (i.e. in school, at work or just my general life direction/philosophy) can directly translate to a criticism of my inherent sense of identity. Depending on the circumstances, it is like that I either completely withdraw from the situation, or lash out. As far as I can remember, my worst reactions have been to sharply curse at that person (except with my older brother, in which case we may physically fight.) Afterwards, however, I will probably feel guilty. This behavior be a result of the amount of self-criticism I create for myself. When, I hear any sort of negative analysis, real life examples include, "just try harder," or "you're really not that ambitious," it only reaffirms my numerous inner critiques, which can be too much to bear at times.

A key factor in understanding this behavior could be that the only scenarios during which such an event may arise is perhaps when sharing a store pent up feelings to someone whom I feel I can trust. If that person shows any sort of insensitivity towards my self-revelations, it's very offensive and embarrassing. In a situation where I feel slighted in that manner, I'll become cold, quickly just closing myself off from that person and leaving the situation, or say something rude that may even surprises me.

It's likely that after any of these events, I'll come and apologize to you for behaving so irrationally. Also, it might be good to note that this sort of behavior certainly isn't limited to INFPs. It seems logical that no one takes well to being ignored. However, perhaps it's very typical of INFPs to over personalize forms of advice, etc.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a brother who is also an ENTJ and although he doesn't understand what I do, he realizes that I'm trying to make my way in the world and that works for him. As for the philosophy part, you have to have a very open mind and accept them as they are to discuss any of the ideas, because to us, they are true until we find a reason to fine tune them further. As for what makes us mean or aggresive, it is anything that is not ideal. We live for a perfect world, and are trying to live as if that world is already here, and wish for others to do the same, but will not force you to even if we don't like it. When we get mean or aggresive we are basically saying, "why don't you want to be as perfect as you can."

Salvadorabian

MBTI Type
infp
I hate when people have selective humanity.

I hate when people will only respect you after you put them in their place.

I hate when women try to impose their own oppression upon younger females.

I hate when people treat you kindly one on one, but try to throw you under the bus in larger groups.

A

A window to the soul

I hate when people will only respect you after you put them in their place.

:yes: classic example: I'm just relaxing and cruising around, you suddenly put your feet on my dash or light up a cigarette after I sweetly told you "no", RAWR!!! I can't be held responsible for what happens to you after that... -rubber squeelin', doors flyin' open- ... lol wish I was kiddin' :cheese:

Must be some crazy IXXP thing. It's like, don't violate the things I hold dear or I might bite. I'm pretty calm otherwise...

Of course, I know you meant something a little less severe, but those are just the most precious memorable moments, lol. awww :redface:
No doubt my friends respect me after that. Never happens again. Yeah, we're still friends.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Under extreme stress INFPs can become like a lot like ESTJs: totally insensitive -- to the extent of being mean :cry:

E

Epiphany

Under extreme stress INFPs can become like a lot like ESTJs: totally insensitive -- to the extent of being mean :cry:

istockphoto_4183689-shadow-monster.jpg

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm rather mean & snappy on a regular basis, but it's in this moody, under breath sort of way. I am not snow white walking through the woods, singing to all the woodland creatures. When I have stress, my moodiness & tendency to lose my temper get worse of course.

A few examples...

My ESFP sister & I fight about stupid, petty stuff all the time. Mainly, she devalues my perspective, which I cannot stand to have done to me. I don't like when someone makes no effort to see what someone else is saying just because they say it in a different way (in my case, heavy on the metaphor and theoretical angle - which she hates).

I also don't like being told what to do in a demanding sort of way. I'm kind of anti-authority and strong authority will bring out my rebellious streak. On the job, people always asked me to do stuff, never told me, because I managed to intimidate them wordlessly (I believe someone called me "surly" once). There's a cold chill I can give off when annoyed (& sometimes my reservedness is misinterpreted as aloof, in which case I don't mean to seem cold). That's much more likely than an outburst for me unless we're talking close family/friends.

On the other hand, there are people who see me as mostly nice & sweet. It really depends on what mood they've caught me in & how well they know me.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tools that don't work and no real way to get them fixed before the next update kills them all again.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be a hypocrit, bully or downright mean/rude and be it near me so i cannot ignore you or use it to judge and hurt someone I care for.

If you're smart..you'll run right after you've gotten the result you were curious about.