• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] The ENFJ shadow...

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not the shadow type. This isn't some joke about the inner ISTP.

No, I mean the darkness within. The fear, the doubt, the cynicism, the worry--the black side of too much love. The mark left by always turning to the positive, the sweet, the nice--the shadow that does most of your talking for you. The thing you say isn't there, but is forever there--the reason you're so "nice".

Know what I mean?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing you say isn't there, but is forever there--the reason you're so "nice". Know what I mean?

They're nice because they've got a dark black evil meanie monster inside of them? :huh:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah.

Oh, wait-- no.

Because the other side of Fe is the inside.

Don't look at me, I'm INTJ--what do I know about togetherness and brotherhood and love and safe places to share deepest worry?

(Ah well, that'll scare away the bunnies and Bambi.)

Edit: Hm, okay...

I ask because the shadow and coming to terms with it seems central to the process of maturation for someone tending toward ENFJ type choices.

Edit 2: oh, hey, how Tony Robbins do I sound today...

Truth is, I'm just asking because I want to know. It's one way of coming to terms with stuff that's happened in my life this last year. Help a brother out.

("Help a brother out"? Jeez. What am I today, an INTP-wannabe?)

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
eh, i'm no ENFJ, and no disrespect, but i think you're full of it.

Kalach said:
Truth is, I'm just asking because I want to know. It's one way of coming to terms with stuff that's happened in my life this last year. Help a brother out.
^whatever real-life example happened might just be a quirk of the ENFJ you know.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
eh, i'm no ENFJ, and no disrespect, but i think you're full of it.

^whatever real-life example happened might just be a quirk of the ENFJ you know.

I don't think he's full of it at all. He's one of the few people on the forum who has tried to understand Fe beyond the typical social niceties and Hallmark card superficial understanding people have about it. I appreciate his inquiries and think he has a lot of good ideas and is trying to understand the nuts and bolts of a function everybody thinks they get.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I don't think he's full of it at all. He's one of the few people on the forum who has tried to understand Fe beyond the typical social niceties and Hallmark card superficial understanding people have about it. I appreciate his inquiries and think he has a lot of good ideas and is trying to understand the nuts and bolts of a function everybody thinks they get.

Exactly. I can't count the number of times Fe has been misunderstood and lambasted because its such an easy target.

I don't really see the "nice nice" or "fake" qualities of Fe types that other people claim are there. This is probably just the reality that most people can't see the intentions behind Fe users.

The Fe dominant people I've known in my life have been judged and feared by most, understood and appreciated by few.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone has a shadow to them, they just don't let most people see it.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
We can broaden the topic to ESFJs, y'know... :D

Or to INTJs... what is this damn Se and why does it always fill me with dread?

This shadow thing...

I'm gonna go ahead and be clinical for a moment, and it's going to sound like dissecting frogs, and for that I ask forgiveness, but...

normally when I happen across a person who pays attention to the people around them, and does, without difficulty, mingle immediately and easily if s/he decides it's time to, who announces positive messages, and who seems--anxious?--then I call ENFJ. Inordinately anxious. Anxious in a way that's out of step with his or her positive messages.

I believe perhaps that I am aware of that--is it anxiety?--being calmed,--soothed perhaps?--, when smooth, satisfactory, I guess harmonious interaction, or maybe just environment, prevails.

Or something.

This isn't natural. It isn't accident. There's an engine that drives this. For no really good reason I have an image of it as big and powerful and hidden and looming.

Some experience suggests it is not at all a gentle tiger.

And all of that is merely as seen through my microscope. And since people aren't the mannequins I so easily view them as...

I think maybe the ENFJ shadow--and by that I mean the dark side, inside--is judgment.

ps. I think Fe gets called fake mostly only by Fi users. Fe, maybe particularly Fe Dom, just does look like the person is NOT paying attention to what's inside themselves. Fi users, if they did that themselves, would call themselves fake.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ever seen an Fi dominant's shadow?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ever seen an Fi dominant's shadow?

Nup.

I know only one obvious INFP. And I haven't ever heard him speak of having something looming over his choices and actions, something that causes him to resist and retreat.

But then, I've only spoken seriously with him twice, once to lecture on the merits of ENTJs and once to complain about ENFJs. He didn't get much of word in edgewise. (Mythbusted: that INTJs are good listeners.)

What's the Fi Dom shadow?

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
What are you talking about? This "judgement" you are talking about isnt very shadow at all in the ENFJ's I know, and they see this judgement in me also. But sometimes speaking our mind, wich can so oftenly change (because Fe as a dominant and secondary function makes ones judgement swift back and forth often), would probably bring terror and is just truth at THAT moment. Appreciate more, instead of bashing on it. Take ESFJ's for example, they have this judgement throwing around them all day 24/7 that one almost gets exhausted. And they put themselves in so much trouble everyday for speaking their minds. Atleast the ones I've encountered. Although I like them for speaking up, (as I said) it can be exhausting. You wouldn't want that would you? ENFJ's wait instead for something really meaningful to use their intense judgements, like if their child is about to start doing drugs or something. But ofc it can burst up in public if they (and sometimes me) feel pressure.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard to explain... I don't really know what to say besides the whole "type shadow" thing to explain when people change under stress. I think that may explain this whole "shadow" theory you have going. ENFJ getting cold etc... It is explained by them gaining the most basic qualities of an ISTP and not being able to use them. That meaning being more concerned about things other than people, which is what ENFJs like to be concerned about.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An ENFJ's dark inner world? Is that the point of the OP? We do have strangely dark natures, but we're not using it compensate for anything. We're just a bit morbid.

I find having an ISTP as my shadow doesn't work out very well - my ENFJ nature is making a hypothetical grab for power while the ISTP is saying, "Ooooo, try it THIS way...." lol :D BAD SHADOW!! BAD!

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
We can broaden the topic to ESFJs, y'know... :D

Or to INTJs... what is this damn Se and why does it always fill me with dread?

What's the fear of Se all about? How do you find that it manifests itself in you? Is it a fear of being dumb and uninciteful? Do you think, "OMG I could be one of those dumb people that watches reality shows, like Americas Next Top Model and enjoys it, if I don't finish The Brother Karamisov tonight!" Or does it relate to a fear that your ultimate plans for creating a better, more perfect world might be held back by mundane details? I'm curious though it may be a topic for uhh... another topic.

This shadow thing...

I'm gonna go ahead and be clinical for a moment, and it's going to sound like dissecting frogs, and for that I ask forgiveness, but...

normally when I happen across a person who pays attention to the people around them, and does, without difficulty, mingle immediately and easily if s/he decides it's time to, who announces positive messages, and who seems--anxious?--then I call ENFJ. Inordinately anxious. Anxious in a way that's out of step with his or her positive messages.

I believe perhaps that I am aware of that--is it anxiety?--being calmed,--soothed perhaps?--, when smooth, satisfactory, I guess harmonious interaction, or maybe just environment, prevails.

Or something.

This isn't natural. It isn't accident. There's an engine that drives this. For no really good reason I have an image of it as big and powerful and hidden and looming.

Some experience suggests it is not at all a gentle tiger.

And all of that is merely as seen through my microscope. And since people aren't the mannequins I so easily view them as...

I think maybe the ENFJ shadow--and by that I mean the dark side, inside--is judgment.

I gotta say that I don't really understand what 100% of the objections to this thread are all about. I understand you Kalach. It is kind of like ENFJ's are bad spies, who have various visible tells that they're up to no good, and you're trying to figure out which government they work for.

I think we just fear what could happen if we don't respect everyone and be nice and all. We don't trust our instincts and our ability to be spontaneous (which is a sign of many mentally unhealthy people according to Dr. Phil.) For example, what would happen if I told my ESTP coworker what a womanizing, Charlie Sheen jackass I thought he was? I get a ride from this guy all the time. I'd be walking my friends and that would not be very pleasant because it's winter and thus cold. As a result I don't do it because it's not in my best interest yet I do sacrifice a little integrity by not speaking my mind. Maybe I'm talking in circles but hopefully there's a nugget or two in there for ya! :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is kind of like ENFJ's are bad spies, who have various visible tells that they're up to no good, and you're trying to figure out which government they work for.

Signature worthy. :yes:

For example, what would happen if I told my ESTP coworker what a womanizing, Charlie Sheen jackass I thought he was? I get a ride from this guy all the time.

LOL

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
I got lost somewhere. I still don't understand the question, but I really want to know the answer!

Uhm, as far as I CAN understand it.. perhaps the anxiety is a sort of empathy? They put themselves in the middle of the action, so to speak, because they feel some smoothness is NOT taking place, and therefore attempt to soothe such distress(which they are currently expressing) in typical ENFJ fashion.

In other words, it may just be as simple as ENFJs wanting things to run smoothly, and therefore getting stressed out if he or she feels they're not. So they try to fix it, even amongst their perceived discomfort. The shadow is not judgement, but the ambiguity of P. They'd have trouble allowing a situation to run with some of the flexibility and kinks and movement and (somewhat) conflict; having looming fears since they're so aware of the consequences unpredicted outcomes could bring.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
For example, what would happen if I told my ESTP coworker what a womanizing, Charlie Sheen jackass I thought he was? I get a ride from this guy all the time. I'd be walking my friends and that would not be very pleasant because it's winter and thus cold. As a result I don't do it because it's not in my best interest yet I do sacrifice a little integrity by not speaking my mind. Maybe I'm talking in circles but hopefully there's a nugget or two in there for ya! :)

I don't think that's sacrificing integrity at all, it's being socially pragmatic which for some reason people here snub there noses at. I guess being financially pragmatic is OK, but if you know what side your bread is buttered on with other people you should still eat it after dropping it on the floor. All that hair and crap stuck to it? There's your integrity. Chew with relish!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The brightest light casts the deepest shadow = ENFJ

funny how the ENFJs concede but don't show their vulnerability
I know of three ENFJs, two of which i frequently come in contact with
and although they may relay the info like its dust in the wind
that same dust is laced with an underlining; dark and impending/palpable sorrow

they stare off into space - the room gets silent and tense
you can almost see the images they are, at least feel them
its like the Ni and Ti axis haunts them, and they respond with the Fe-Se " but don't worry about it, *joke and slap on the shoulder/disappear*