• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How do INFPs intuit things about people compared to INFJs and Vice Versa?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. Since we are pretty much all INFs here, I'm going to allow myself to get alittle 'airy-fairy' and long-winded. :blush:

I can sometimes intuitively visualize emotions, almost as if they were physical objects. It's really hard to explain.. the best I can do is to describe them as having a string-like consistency, and usually they are intertwining with other emotions, rapidly moving along and 'slippery'. It's as if I could grab onto them to feel them, but never really be able to fully grasp them. Emotions don't always have the same feel, look, color, or brightness. They move with various speeds, some intertwine less with others, while others actually bend and fold upon themselves in insanely complicated pretzel like patterns. (The latter I tend to associate with INFJs.)

Sometimes I don't get the 'string-like' feeling at all, but something more akin to a rock. My ISTJ grandfather was like that; a huge but impenetrable pile of emotions.

My intuition is used largely to extrapolate and imagine possibilities. How would this person react to such and such? My intuition becomes greedy and wants to explore. I end up asking alot of questions if someone really interests me, or if I want to understand the emotion better. Metaphorically, I am reaching a hand out to 'feel' the emotion. It's all about studying and learning about what's going on underneath the surface. I'll even go as far as to create a archetype of someone in my head, and ask it questions, because for some crazy reason it actually can help me understand some things better.

My thinking and detailed oriented side come into play by analyzing and experimenting with details in the real world. It's probably the side of me that makes me ask people questions I already know the answers to, simply to see how they word their responses, or to see if they are lying. Once they answer, I put a check on my clipboard, and move on. How did they react when I challenged an idea? Did they maintain eye contact, lean in closer or pull away? *checks clipboard* They laughed just alittle bit too hard at that joke. *makes a note to explore this later*

I often find that I pick up certain details in the moment, but don't add them up until later when I'm reflecting and digesting everything. Then, suddenly, I realize that the person was probably lying to me, or that the girl was actually flirting with me. Oops!

One final thing... INFPs can be very good at pretending to be other types, I think, because of our understanding of emotions. For example, ESTJ emotions often come across as sleek, shiny, hard, and thin to me. Oftentimes sharp, too. If I were to take the bundle of my emotions, and straighten and stretch them out a bit... perhaps set a couple of tangles off to the side, I can approximate ESTJ bahavior for a bit. I force my skin to become a bit thicker, I go into the situation knowing what I want, and I psych myself up a bit to do more social interaction that I normally would. Eventually, though, I tire out and go back to being my normal INFP self.

G

Glycerine

This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. Since we are pretty much all INFs here, I'm going to allow myself to get alittle 'airy-fairy' and long-winded. :blush:

I can sometimes intuitively visualize emotions, almost as if they were physical objects. It's really hard to explain.. the best I can do is to describe them as having a string-like consistency, and usually they are intertwining with other emotions, rapidly moving along and 'slippery'. It's as if I could grab onto them to feel them, but never really be able to fully grasp them. Emotions don't always have the same feel, look, color, or brightness. They move with various speeds, some intertwine less with others, while others actually bend and fold upon themselves in insanely complicated pretzel like patterns. (The latter I tend to associate with INFJs.)

Sometimes I don't get the 'string-like' feeling at all, but something more akin to a rock. My ISTJ grandfather was like that; a huge but impenetrable pile of emotions.

My intuition is used largely to extrapolate and imagine possibilities. How would this person react to such and such? My intuition becomes greedy and wants to explore. I end up asking alot of questions if someone really interests me, or if I want to understand the emotion better. Metaphorically, I am reaching a hand out to 'feel' the emotion. It's all about studying and learning about what's going on underneath the surface. I'll even go as far as to create a archetype of someone in my head, and ask it questions, because for some crazy reason it actually can help me understand some things better.

My thinking and detailed oriented side come into play by analyzing and experimenting with details in the real world. It's probably the side of me that makes me ask people questions I already know the answers to, simply to see how they word their responses, or to see if they are lying. Once they answer, I put a check on my clipboard, and move on. How did they react when I challenged an idea? Did they maintain eye contact, lean in closer or pull away? *checks clipboard* They laughed just alittle bit too hard at that joke. *makes a note to explore this later*

I often find that I pick up certain details in the moment, but don't add them up until later when I'm reflecting and digesting everything. Then, suddenly, I realize that the person was probably lying to me, or that the girl was actually flirting with me. Oops!

One final thing... INFPs can be very good at pretending to be other types, I think, because of our understanding of emotions. For example, ESTJ emotions often come across as sleek, shiny, hard, and thin to me. Oftentimes sharp, too. If I were to take the bundle of my emotions, and straighten and stretch them out a bit... perhaps set a couple of tangles off to the side, I can approximate ESTJ bahavior for a bit. I force my skin to become a bit thicker, I go into the situation knowing what I want, and I psych myself up a bit to do more social interaction that I normally would. Eventually, though, I tire out and go back to being my normal INFP self.

Your post has definitely resonated with me. Even though I am most likely iNFj, the things you mentioned (in bold) are ionsome of the things that I do on a regular basis.

Last edited:

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?

im an infj i find i can relate to a good majority of what you've written here though i feel i perceive things sometimes much more abstractly and find the process difficult to express in words. you really created a functional/vivid description. i'm very aware of when people are 'lying' and how to 'pretend' to be more like another type.
thanks for laying it out so concisely.
it shows me how similar infj and infp types behave. and how much i don't understand my cognitive processes.

something i've been wondering now though.
everything in your description i've experienced to some extent and it's a constant part of my life and seems to resonate with a lot of other infjs and infps alike.
do other people (non infs or nfs i suppose) ever glimpse what's going on in our inner worlds?
or is that why we're seen as so so out there an aloof by the masses?
i feel like i should be able to come to conclusion being an infj and experiencing this myself but maybe someone else's take will open a new door.

erm. thanks. please.
pleeeease help me understaaaannnd.

edit: good thing the simultaneous but quicker than me poster bolded the intuition explanations. that's really the stuff that i related to most. and confirmed how much we all agree about so many flippin things and communicate and theorize so well. made me realize i think i love everyone a little bit more.

Last edited:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your post has definitely resonated with me. Even though I am most likely iNFp, the things you mentioned (in bold) are ionsome of the things that I do on a regular basis.

I notice you are also 9w1. I wonder if some aspects of my description hit on that.

do other people (non infs or nfs i suppose) ever glimpse what's going on in our inner worlds?

Generally no. Sorry. :(

I've had luck with some ESTPs and ENTPs, though. ENTPs are more likely to talk about it, but ESTPs still sometimes sense something deeper and can appreciate the unique ways it shows itself.

I'd also wonder about ISFJs... I've had enough experience to make me wonder, but never have been able to explore it.

However, I've never had any luck with ISTPs, ISFPs, ESTJs and ISTJs.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm very good at pattern recognition, which I suppose is extraverted intuition. I'm also extremely good at extrapolating said pattern.
I don't know Fi comes into it so much, except I am a human antenna when it comes feelings. I receive and transmit the feelings subconsciously. I don't even know I'm doing it unless I catch myself.

G

Glycerine

I notice you are also 9w1. I wonder if some aspects of my description hit on that.
Oops, I meant to say I was iNFj, haha. Anyways, the Enneagram angle would be worth looking into. I bet you got something there.

G

Glycerine

im an infj i find i can relate to a good majority of what you've written here though i feel i perceive things sometimes much more abstractly and find the process difficult to express in words. you really created a functional/vivid description. i'm very aware of when people are 'lying' and how to 'pretend' to be more like another type.
thanks for laying it out so concisely.
it shows me how similar infj and infp types behave. and how much i don't understand my cognitive processes.

something i've been wondering now though.
everything in your description i've experienced to some extent and it's a constant part of my life and seems to resonate with a lot of other infjs and infps alike.
or is that why we're seen as so so out there an aloof by the masses?
i feel like i should be able to come to conclusion being an infj and experiencing this myself but maybe someone else's take will open a new door.

erm. thanks. please.
pleeeease help me understaaaannnd.

edit: good thing the simultaneous but quicker than me poster bolded the intuition explanations. that's really the stuff that i related to most. and confirmed how much we all agree about so many flippin things and communicate and theorize so well. made me realize i think i love everyone a little bit more.

haha, eerie! A little INFJ mind reading going on there... :wubbie:

G

Glycerine

Going further into this, with the abitity to "read people", do you guys have the dilemma of feeling someone else's emotion so strongly that you think that you have become that person and you just feel like you are going to "explode"?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Going further into this, with the abitity to "read people", do you guys have the dilemma of feeling someone else's emotion so strongly that you think that you have become that person and you just feel like you are going to "explode"?

It's happened before, I can mostly deal with their emotions when I take them on to understand someone. The worst was when I was helping my friend through her rape crisis.

G

Glycerine

It's happened before, I can mostly deal with their emotions when I take them on to understand someone. The worst was when I was helping my friend through her rape crisis.

:/ sorry to hear that. What a good friend! :D I have this dilemma a lot w/ my teachers, friends, and family.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Apollanaut, FINALLY, someone who totally gets me! I not only feel things that are going to happen, but I'm up at night and can't sleep, for example, 3 days before the tsunami on the Indian Ocean, I was up at night and had this horrible feeling something bad was going to happen coupled with a deep sense of helplessness. No one knew why, it was Christmas, and didn't make sense. I've had dreams that in more than one case have come true. It's not so much that they happen all the time, because they are very rare, it's just that when they do, they are cosmic. So when people ask if I'm a psychic, I never go so far as to say yes, but simply, I dunno. Most of it, I take with a grain of salt, and don't put much stock in, but some of it affects me so personally, I barely have the words to express it.

And to Bronte, many hugs, especially for John Denver's "Grandma's feather Bed" avatar. LOL!

Woah. I dreamed about that same incident! About a week before it happened. I also dreamed up 9/11 two months before it happened. Different contexts, of course.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I shouldn't post on serious threads when I'm tipsy. What I meant to say I'm good at predicting things, because of the whole pattern recognition, bigger picture seeing, random connection things. Not like the kinda mysterious plucking out of the air thing that INFJ's do, although, to other people it's probably just as freaky, but it is definitely, attributable to the reading of current "Vibes" of people.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I shouldn't post on serious threads when I'm tipsy. What I meant to say I'm good at predicting things, because of the whole pattern recognition, bigger picture seeing, random connection things. Not like the kinda mysterious plucking out of the air thing that INFJ's do, although, to other people it's probably just as freaky, but it is definitely, attributable to the reading of current "Vibes" of people.
Ni

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was Ne, with a Dash of Fi.
Why Ni? Curious.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Could you delve a bit deeper into the part that I bolded? It sounds like your strong empathy hits you in a very different way than it does me, and I'm curious to hear about that.

I definitely feel other people's emotions very intensely. However, with me I tend to soak it in like a sponge. It can eventually overwhelm me, though it's not common. Instead of having to become the other person, I take on their pain and then try to figure out ways to make it better, as if it were actually me feeling their emotions. (I don't really consider that a good thing, as people need to fix their own problems in their own way.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
....the INFP's is from a tuning so fine, no other type can feel it.... the INFP's understanding of feelings is second nature as they are primarily interested in the ideal behind the object, and so read out of the person (infp) not into (infj). If that makes sense.

I'll offer indirect support by comparing it to Ti+Ne.

As soon as I see something (a system of ideas, a situation, or even people because I've learned a lot about systematic behavior and psychological development and had varied life experiences), I'll immediately get an idea of where the system is going, whether it's balanced, what the flaws/weaknesses are, what the strengths are, which parts work smoothly together, whether there is some inconsistency that is being masked, etc. It's like an instantaneous modeling inside my head of all the forces at work and what the net result will be.

If I try to slow it down, I see at this stage it's really still a flurry of minute calculations, like a computer would do, coupled with pattern recognition based on experience and theory, rather than completely bypassing everything or having a mystical source.

But it's still very much a "flash."

I intuit that INFP does the same thing, but just uses a "personal values" ruleset rather than a more impersonal one.

Funny thing: INxP should be good at noticing hidden weaknesses in people (or potential lies), but the INFPs I know tend to err on the side of assuming that people will aspire to the ideal and thus are slower to accept that the inconsistencies designate something negative about the person in question.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'll offer indirect support by comparing it to Ti+Ne.

As soon as I see something (a system of ideas, a situation, or even people because I've learned a lot about systematic behavior and psychological development and had varied life experiences), I'll immediately get an idea of where the system is going, whether it's balanced, what the flaws/weaknesses are, what the strengths are, which parts work smoothly together, whether there is some inconsistency that is being masked, etc. It's like an instantaneous modeling inside my head of all the forces at work and what the net result will be.
Ni/Te (Seriously).

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Funny thing: INxP should be good at noticing hidden weaknesses in people (or potential lies), but the INFPs I know tend to err on the side of assuming that people will aspire to the ideal and thus are slower to accept that the inconsistencies designate something negative about the person in question.

Yes! My knee-jerk reaction is to believe that people are telling me the truth. It takes active effort for me to pick out unfavorable traits in people, and once I start I can have a hard time stopping.

INFJs seem to naturally notice an inconsistency in someone's story, and are quick to zero in on whatever is sticking out until they pick out the lie.

G

Glycerine

Yes! My knee-jerk reaction is to believe that people are telling me the truth. It takes active effort for me to pick out unfavorable traits in people, and once I start I can have a hard time stopping.

INFJs seem to naturally notice an inconsistency in someone's story, and are quick to zero in on whatever is sticking out until they pick out the lie.
It's a cool thing though. That's what I like about you guys. You can see good readily in almost anyone. Out of 5 INFPs (4 awesome ones and 1 unheathy one) I've known, 4 were very much like this.