• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Opposites attract?

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOL Yea I'm beginning to really know Erina.. It's easy to think it's going to be all roses until you feel lke a caged animal in a zoo surrounded by people who don't speak lion

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you guys think opposites in general attract or ultimately clash too much?? Not just in terms of intraversion and extraversion?

In general, attract.

I see the most common dynamics to be like this, put abstractly. This doesn't take other type characteristics into account which are, IMO, just as important.

Introverts' psyches are are O shaped, and extroverts' are C shaped.

OO results in, as you can see, two separate units which may exist comfortably together, but do not fully engage.

CC (flip the second C around) results in each unit attempting to engage the other simultaneously, resulting in interference.

CO results in a solid fit, with O being peacefully engaged by C.

I like this, Jack. Nice imagery. Though it does seem like the extroverts are eating the introverts.

I'm am an Introvert who is not socially awkward or shy.... and I have tended to prefer other Introverts because they are who I have had commonality with. I'm not attracted by an opposite. I haven't actually dated more than one Extrovert, as the energy of the Es I've known seems to throw me off when they're coming after you. It seems all consuming.

Now you're just playing hard to get.

I appreciate EP types a lot. They provide a skill that I just don't have, and social situations are all about a bunch of specialized roles. That said, I probably prefer the company of ENTPs to ESTPs, but then again, we haven't really defined 'opposite'.

I like having introverted friends, especially INFJ friends because they do possess a certain depth and internal coherence that is appealing. Plus, being around other extroverts can just get exhausting, especially since I'm not super extroverted.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer extroverts, and am definitely drawn to them.

I have always desired to be with someone who would balance me out more, though. I agree with others who have said it might be 'easier' with introverts, in the sense that you have more in common in that way, but I'd prefer to have someone who was more different from me, who would complement me and nudge me in new directions or point out things or perspectives that I might not see. And, to be honest, *get me out more*!! :) And, I just enjoy the E/I dynamic. In terms of best complement for me, I think ENTP or ENFP would be best. *Possibly* ENTJ, but I think we'd ultimately rub each other the wrong way.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Is that cos your hoping to bag yourself a nice ISFJ Synarch... Can't say I blame you mate!

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hence the depression and masturbation thread... your a whole story beginning to emerge!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL Yea I'm beginning to really know Erina.. It's easy to think it's going to be all roses until you feel lke a caged animal in a zoo surrounded by people who don't speak lion

well yeah...i know some people who have a totally different outlook on life then i do and i think they're adorable and i want to eat them up and then others with a different outlook that i want to throw off a cliff...so.. different but not equally appealing...you know? haha

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes to the OP. I'm the only E in my group of friends, although I did enjoy going out with fellow E's to take over the town back in college :)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
well yeah...i know some people who have a totally different outlook on life then i do and i think they're adorable and i want to eat them up and then others with a different outlook that i want to throw off a cliff...so.. different but not equally appealing...you know? haha
HAHAHAHA yea

G

garbage

I prefer to hang around extraverts, but that's probably because my E is relatively weak. I'm generally less talkative and outgoing (but more receptive) than they are, but I still thrive on the stimulation that I get around them and that they enjoy as well. The six people I'm closest to are other E's--an ENFJ, a ESFJ, two ESTPs, a ENTP, and another ENTJ.

Now, when it comes to the other three dichotomies, I do prefer opposites.. primarily because I can learn something from them.

I think it comes down to the fact that I just can't figure introverts out and I'm impatient :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
CO results in a solid fit, with O being peacefully engaged by C.

Or the O howling like a banshee while attempting (futilely) to claw it's way to the nearest exit while the C laughs and laughs and says, "No no, kitty!! We haven't got your SpongeBob costume zipped up yet! Come here!" and then more screaming and more laughing and then more screaming followed by flashes from a camera and photo Christmas cards.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I would more often choose to be around introverts than extroverts. I am a talker so I like to have people around listening to me. I like other extroverts, too, but I think I have more I friends. I always tend to gravitate towards I's at a party. They are the captive audiences on the couch, just waiting for me to talk their heads off.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, I would more often choose to be around introverts than extroverts. I am a talker so I like to have people around listening to me. I like other extroverts, too, but I think I have more I friends. I always tend to gravitate towards I's at a party. They are the captive audiences on the couch, just waiting for me to talk their heads off.

Wait. What exactly do the introverts get out of this? I need things to be even so I can stop feeling bad about button-holing people.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I prefer to hang around extraverts, but that's probably because my E is relatively weak. I'm generally less talkative and outgoing (but more receptive) than they are, but I still thrive on the stimulation that I get around them and that they enjoy as well. The six people I'm closest to are other E's--an ENFJ, a ESFJ, two ESTPs, a ENTP, and another ENTJ.

Now, when it comes to the other three dichotomies, I do prefer opposites.. primarily because I can learn something from them.

Agreed. My E is also weak. I get along with Is just as well as Es, though I've frightened off some Is before (unintentionally). I tend to run into other Es who have just as weak E or more so than me. Like most of the ENTP I know are pretty chill and can be very quiet and withdrawn. Motor-mouthed stage-hogging INTPs, for the flipside. I/E has less to do with energy I think than it has something to say about which function comes to the fore unconsciously. This is the difference between me and my INFJ dad. He hits things with Ni, I hit it with Fe, but my Ni is right on it's heels giving an opinion, so we sound very much the same at times. I'm just the Piquant version, I guess.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait. What exactly do the introverts get out of this? I need things to be even so I can stop feeling bad about button-holing people.

Entertainment, I guess :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or the O howling like a banshee while attempting (futilely) to claw it's way to the nearest exit while the C laughs and laughs and says, "No no, kitty!! We haven't got your SpongeBob costume zipped up yet! Come here!" and then more screaming and more laughing and then more screaming followed by flashes from a camera and photo Christmas
cards.

oh..i know exactly what you're talking about!! THAT is hysterical haha

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I paint a masterful word picture, no? ;) :D