• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFPs keep an INFP locked inside?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Maybe 'introverted' is an inprecise term here.

This is why I asked. I think the word is begin useed too easily here.

Just becuase you don't like to be around some people, you are not addicted to socializing and you have some other interest does not make you introverted.
After all the type is ENFP not just E .

What I am saying is that you have problems with subjectivity here. The things/traits you treat as somewhat asocial are still quite social from the position of real introverts.

It is not what you do, it is how much you do it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What I am saying is that you have problems with subjectivity here. The things/traits you treat as somewhat asocial are still quite social from the position of real introverts.

It is not what you do, it is how much you do it.
In a manner of speaking. I would personally redefine it as what you want to do, as there are situations in which extroverts are prevented from interacting with people to some degree.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PS... Jack your avatar is really fun cos now I read every post from you as though you are about to tear someone into shreads LOLOL :D

i know!!! haha...and the funny cheers one just made it look like his responses were followed by a lil heel click or smirky cane tapping or something equally ridiculous...haha

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In a manner of speaking. I would personally redefine it as what you want to do, as there are situations in which extroverts are prevented from interacting with people to some degree.

But if they are prevented that does not actually reduce their need for social interaction. That leads them to depression.

The point of this is not to discuss special cases and my post was written with very general things in mind.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But if they are prevented that does not actually reduce their need for social interaction. That leads them to depression.

The point of this is not to discuss special cases and my post was written with very general things in mind.
Changing the defining characteristic from practice to want makes it as general as is possible, because it includes everyone in the class.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Changing the defining characteristic from practice to want makes it as general as is possible, because it includes everyone in the class.

Can I at least know about what you were talking about in your last post when you said that they are sometimes prevented from interaction.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my guess is that he means life/ work obligations a move or job transition that changes your normal social routine in some way.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
my guess is that he means life/ work obligations a move or job transition that changes your normal social routine in some way.
Yes, but the possibilities don't stop there. There could even be a psychological block, like agorophobia.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I have one request for ENFPs.

When they say "then I become introverted" what that actually means.

I would like to hear how much this introverted phases last and what do you do during them. Also, do you get out of this state fast if some interesting social offer comes your way?

That means that we are using Fi more than Ne. In the absence of external stimuli, many ENFPs look within themselves and cultivate their Fi. How long that lasts or what gets us out varies too much for me to answer. What causes us to withdraw into ourselves, however, is often depression (emotional or physical), low self-esteem, general unhappiness, or too much people contact.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Can I just chime in again that no, I don't feel I have an infp inside me. I also hope I don't have an intp inside me. I have an ENFP inside me and I have me inside me that struggles constantly to be out there and shine.

No offense, but as an ENFP and just me, life just seems harder as an INXP. I can identify sure, with a lot of the make up (or cognitive functions) of INTPs or INFPs and again, I have great friends of both types.

But, I really value and appreciate my extraverted functioning -- the fact I draw energy from the outside world and need to be in the mix and with people. Without it, I would not be who I am. Extraversion and the need and desire to be with the world stomping on grapes with the best of them, that is a core part of who I am.

I would not want to be an Fi or Ti dominant person, nothing personal. I just don't like how close-circuit those systems seem to me, I want to be with people and with the world, and though you can criticize Ne all you want, it at least prevents me from collapsing in on myself. Ne forces my being to pay attention to everyone and everything else around me.

INFPs and ENFPs are very different animals. Maybe made from the same clay but molded quite differently. This is why I like my INFP friends, we're from similar schools but very different people so we mutually pique one another's interest. This is also why sometimes I can get frustrated with them because I feel I can understand how they react to things but they reach very, very different conclusions and interpretations and ultimately make different decisions from me. This is why I don't identify with having an INFP inside me.

I think people are perhaps confusing true introversion with 'low' periods in one's life. Nothing at all wrong or judgement laden about true introversion, but just as it's stressful to force an introvert constantly in the limelight and force interaction with them at huge parties and schmoozing, it's stressful for an extravert to be forced into prolonged solitude, even even if it's 'self imposed'.

ENFPs, when you find yourself in that slump or too long gone in hiding, you're really just hiding from yourselves and how sensitive you are to the world. It doesn't work. You're not an introvert. You might be lazy (hahaha), you might be super laid back and go with the flow, but you're not an introvert. It's not going to sustain you in the long run or give you strength the way it can for a true introvert. And even introverts need to get out of the house once in a while! :p

FTR, I am more likely to test as INTP than INFP.

Speaking of all that, I need to get my lazy, ennervated ass out of the house.

See ya!!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Can I just chime in again that no, I don't feel I have an infp inside me. I also hope I don't have an intp inside me. I have an ENFP inside me and I have me inside me that struggles constantly to be out there and shine.

No offense, but as an ENFP and just me, life just seems harder as an INXP. I can identify sure, with a lot of the make up (or cognitive functions) of INTPs or INFPs and again, I have great friends of both types.

But, I really value and appreciate my extraverted functioning -- the fact I draw energy from the outside world and need to be in the mix and with people. Without it, I would not be who I am. Extraversion and the need and desire to be with the world stomping on grapes with the best of them, that is a core part of who I am.

I would not want to be an Fi or Ti dominant person, nothing personal. I just don't like how close-circuit those systems seem to me, I want to be with people and with the world, and though you can criticize Ne all you want, it at least prevents me from collapsing in on myself. Ne forces my being to pay attention to everyone and everything else around me.

INFPs and ENFPs are very different animals. Maybe made from the same clay but molded quite differently. This is why I like my INFP friends, we're from similar schools but very different people so we mutually pique one another's interest. This is also why sometimes I can get frustrated with them because I feel I can understand how they react to things but they reach very, very different conclusions and interpretations and ultimately make different decisions from me. This is why I don't identify with having an INFP inside me.

I think people are perhaps confusing true introversion with 'low' periods in one's life. Nothing at all wrong or judgement laden about true introversion, but just as it's stressful to force an introvert constantly in the limelight and force interaction with them at huge parties and schmoozing, it's stressful for an extravert to be forced into prolonged solitude, even even if it's 'self imposed'.

ENFPs, when you find yourself in that slump or too long gone in hiding, you're really just hiding from yourselves and how sensitive you are to the world. It doesn't work. You're not an introvert. You might be lazy (hahaha), you might be super laid back and go with the flow, but you're not an introvert. It's not going to sustain you in the long run or give you strength the way it can for a true introvert. And even introverts need to get out of the house once in a while! :p

FTR, I am more likely to test as INTP than INFP.

Speaking of all that, I need to get my lazy, ennervated ass out of the house.

See ya!!

I think you said something similar to what I said few posts back but in much more gentle way.

Since you mention Fi and Ti, what do you think about Ni since it is a form of intuition like Ne? Would you take it as dominant function?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with ea, this does make sense. So maybe I should follow Jacks advice and ask you this:

Could it be that you temporarily make your auxilary function dominant due to circumstances?

What I mean is..when I'm pissed at the world, I'm way more likely to use Fi and judge everything than I am likely to use Ne and seek more input.

I'd appreciate your opinion :)

Generally, when we are stressed we tend to seek comfort. We are most comfortable using our dominant function. Therefore when we are stressed we are more likely to over-rely on our dominant function rather than our auxiliairy.

However, under some circumstances we may be temporarily forced to use our auxiliary function more than our dominant. For example, if I were to find myself at an environment where I would have to engage in lecturing or public speaking a great deal (much more than I would be forced to engage in solitary contemplation of abstract ideas ), I would be forced to temporarily use Ne more than Ti.

However, because Ti is my dominant function, or quite simply my strongest unconscious predilection of all functions, inevitably I would go back to using Ti more than Ne.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, it is plausible to argue that under some circumstances we would use our auxiliary function more than our primary. This is possible because it is easy for us to focus on our auxiliary funciton as by definition an auxiliary function is one that we are naturally very comfortable with and we may easily encounter circumstances where it would be desirable to use our auxiliary function. Whilst it is possible for us to use our auxiliary function more than our dominant for a short period of time, we should clearly acknowledge that such a period of time is indeed very short. This is because we always have a stronger predilection towards using what we call 'the dominant function' than our auxiliary. The stronger disposition will prevail in all cases unless we are making a conscious effort to do what is contrary to our instincts. In short, we would be able to ensure that we use our auxiliary function more than our dominant by exercising our strength of will and self-discipline, but most of us do not do so, nor see a compelling reason to attempt to do so.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Generally, when we are stressed we tend to seek comfort. We are most comfortable using our dominant function. Therefore when we are stressed we are more likely to over-rely on our dominant function rather than our auxiliairy.
:yes:

And perhaps this is not always the best thing for us to do?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think you said something similar to what I said few posts back but in much more gentle way.

Since you mention Fi and Ti, what do you think about Ni since it is a form of intuition like Ne? Would you take it as dominant function?

Clarification: you mean you said it more gently or I did?

The jury's still out on Ni. I honestly don't know how it works but I get the feeling in INFJs it accounts for the eccentric gene.

I don't say that in a derogatory way, but Ni seems to be moreso than Fi the secret ingredient that makes people 'still waters run deep' -- like you can seem so calm on the surface but there's massive stuff going on underneath the surface.

And stuff different from thinking about things like Ti or diving into a feeling soup like Fi. I understand Ne because I have so much of it but even as a principle, it's much easier to understand Ne -- basically focusing on your surroundings and come up with conclusions.

But Ni to focus on...yourself? To come up with...conclusion about the external world?

I even started a thread to understand Ni better and I don't yet.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't say that in a derogatory way, but Ni seems to be moreso than Fi the secret ingredient that makes people 'still waters run deep' -- like you can seem so calm on the surface but there's massive stuff going on underneath the surface.
Do you say that because of what you academically understand Ni to be and Jung's "Description of the Introverted Intuitive Type," or your analysis of INFJs, INTJs, ENFJs, and ENTJs?

It's an important difference.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That means that we are using Fi more than Ne. In the absence of external stimuli, many ENFPs look within themselves and cultivate their Fi. How long that lasts or what gets us out varies too much for me to answer. What causes us to withdraw into ourselves, however, is often depression (emotional or physical), low self-esteem, general unhappiness, or too much people contact.

+1

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Wow, you fucking hit me with a hammer. What the fuck. *dies inside*

Seriously, OP's post is like a dart and it described me absolutely perfectly.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
ENFPs keep a massive orgasm inside. And only I have the power to set it free.