• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFPs keep an INFP locked inside?

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
What about manifestation of INFP-likeness in clinically depressed ENFPs?

Any thoughts?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i might have posted this before or posted something else which i now might flip flop on so i apologize ahead of time

i think when people think of types they think of traits related to behavior. thing is, mbti is a model for the human cognition, so we have a bit of a misunderstanding now dont we? of course cognition can be reflected in behavior it doesn't define it. its like looking at a 3d object in 2d. the 2d image might resemble the 3d object but it isn't the actual object being reflected. asking a question like the posted question, though a good question, is still based off this notion that mbti describes behavior when really it describes something a little more complex then that. cognitively speaking, an ENFP is different then an INFP and though similar on a cognitive level, they are still quite different.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I don't keep an ENFP locked inside... You are one or the other. Look more into Introversion vs Extroversion if you are confused.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
ENFPs are more introverted than most extraverts. As an ENFP with borderline personality disorder I often become incredibly introverted.

I keep all my INFPs locked in the hall closet.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ i know people say that...but i'm actually not sure i believe it. like someone mentioned to me the other day it's just the spectrum, you know? like my older sister is an enfp and she's pretty extraverted...she fills up a room if you know what i mean...and evan the clown said he was really extraverted too...and i can be depending on my company...or the situation...mood or whatever.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I'm incredibly extraverted generally. I really gain energy from being in a room full of people and am usually the life of the party, jumping between groups of people and introducing them to each other. I do find that being in a large group can sometimes, I'm not sure how to put this, "over-energise" me? I become panicked and restless and generally start bouncing off the walls. I need to take the time alone or I'd likely be in tornado mode all the time.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Another intresting question would be, do INFPs keep forum avatars of nude woman on the inside ? Would make them rather intresting :D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You know, being INFP does not mean you are depressed, or sad, or you lock yourself away from humanity, or that you are grossly self-absorbed, or any other negative stereotypical trait that one associates with INTROVERSION.

I have had some confusion in the past over my own INFP/ENFP-ness, because I can be / appear quite social, and I love hanging out with people. But people drain my battery, not recharge it, and there's nothing I've ever done in my whole life that has changed that. There's a fundamental difference between types that I think it is important to respect. Saying an ENFP has an INFP locked inside is implying that an INFP is somehow smaller than an ENFP. And that "INFP" is the dark, bad side of being "ENFP". And wow, I really can't agree with that.

How about this - when I have a drink or two, I let out the ENFP locked within me. Doesn't that sound as improbable as the OP?

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know that...please dear god know that i know that...you guys are super cool...like heart said you just keep a lot of your feelings and thoughts inside instead of on the outside. :)

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
You know, being INFP does not mean you are depressed, or sad, or you lock yourself away from humanity, or that you are grossly self-absorbed, or any other negative stereotypical trait that one associates with INTROVERSION.

:nice::nice::

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOL... no I wouldn't mind you saying such a thing at all.. I actually think that I have uncovered a BIG difference between ENFP and INFP and that is the careless use of language.. or maybe it's just mine... I don't think I was even thinking about INFPs when I was writing, I was instead thinking about intraversion... which I have come to understand is a different thing from the cognitive preference of being INFP... But bearing in mind my careless use of language and scandulous turn of phrase I hence got the title and 'hook' for the thread... But I would be more than happy to come out of you when you were drunk.. as long as you promise to give me board and lodge deep inside your heart when not... in this economic climate it doesn't seem a bad deal at all! BUt yea 'Peace baby' sorry for any offence caused!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you're so right wild...i know that you just meant inside there seems to be a deeply introverted person...because of that side of us we don't share...right?

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
you're so right wild...i know that you just meant inside there seems to be a deeply introverted person...because of that side of us we don't share...right?

Absolutely Erina!! You get me!! You know what I'm like hahaha!! Always getting myself into well meant scrapes of one description or another! :(

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Introverts can interact with people well and be happy, content, the focus is just on the internal life more. You can have social introverts, its more about the energy loss/gain of the interaction, which is not neccesarily linked to how well you interact with the external. Often what people deem "extrovert" in colloquial terms they are refering intriniscally to positive qualities of how the person acts towards people, i.e friendly, nice, agreeable, this definition is not exactly linked to the technical description of MBTI Iintroversion/Extroversion, which deals with preferred cognitive processes. :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I have had some confusion in the past over my own INFP/ENFP-ness, because I can be / appear quite social, and I love hanging out with people. But people drain my battery, not recharge it, and there's nothing I've ever done in my whole life that has changed that. There's a fundamental difference between types that I think it is important to respect. Saying an ENFP has an INFP locked inside is implying that an INFP is somehow smaller than an ENFP. And that "INFP" is the dark, bad side of being "ENFP". And wow, I really can't agree with that.

How about this - when I have a drink or two, I let out the ENFP locked within me. Doesn't that sound as improbable as the OP?

Yea I know, Fi woman are those woman with the most experience. I still dont get it, why they call them introvert :D

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
you may see more ambiverted ENFPs running around then other extroverted types (though i think you will see a somewhat equal amount spread across all of the other intuitive types) not because of the extroversion/introversion split but because of the intuition/sensation split. most of the word (85% sensor vs 15% intuitive roughly) is composed of sensors so intuitive can be looked at as weird in this regards. this may leave them feeling a sense of "aloneness" in which case they may develop their introverted side (due to a difference in communication styles, concrete vs abstract). an ESFP doesn't have nearly the trouble communicating with people as an ENFP does. obviously this doesn't deal with I vs E considering they are almost exactly the same but it deals with the one little difference... the S vs N.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting point...the feeling of being different...so in certain company...if not feeling understood could appear/feel more introverted.