• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFs -- Chit-Chat from the Checkout?

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It doesn't annoy me at all, and I have no trouble answering back when they ask me how I'm doing or whatever. Then again, it's pretty much impossible to ever do anything that annoys me.:)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? That's amazing. I wish I had your temperament.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like that because even if I don't say a whole lot to them (which varies, sometimes if I know the person a bit I'll ask things about them, even sometimes more than they do to me! lol), if I make a noticeable effort, it makes them feel more comfortable and not like I want to ignore them like so many other people do, you know, and that's all I'm really concerned about.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to be ignored...

(I mean, not right this second, but when I'm out IRL.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'm really irritable then it might annoy me because I don't feel like talking to anyone when I'm irritable, but usually I don't get any chit-chat beyond the inquiry on whether I want their ccard or not....and actually most of them sound like robots when they ask that anyway (unless you're in a store like Victoria's Secret or Express, and then they're really perky and into it..) and you can tell they don't even want to ask the question. And so I give the canned response of No, and that's that.

Actually if a cashier bothered to ask me how I was doing, I'd probably be surprised and refreshingly pleased, and I'd probably take it favorably. All depends on how they deliver it - some of them are actually genuinely happy, nice people, which doesn't bother me at all. It's the canned questions that I tend to not pay much notice to, though.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Did anyone hear a whispering, rustling sound?"

what?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
If I'm really irritable then it might annoy me because I don't feel like talking to anyone when I'm irritable, but usually I don't get any chit-chat beyond the inquiry on whether I want their ccard or not....and actually most of them sound like robots when they ask that anyway (unless you're in a store like Victoria's Secret or Express, and then they're really perky and into it..) and you can tell they don't even want to ask the question. And so I give the canned response of No, and that's that.

Actually if a cashier bothered to ask me how I was doing, I'd probably be surprised and refreshingly pleased, and I'd probably take it favorably. All depends on how they deliver it - some of them are actually genuinely happy, nice people, which doesn't bother me at all. It's the canned questions that I tend to not pay much notice to, though.

Just say you will get their card if the cute cashier gives you his/her phone number.

V

violaine

It's definitely a force to be reckoned with in the US.

The first few times that I heard "Did you find everything OK?", (which has got to be the stupidest scripted retail-speak ever), I was like "Um, yeah but"... I was giving serious thought to how they could improve the layout of their store etc, to make things more accessible. LOL.

Anyway, other than that I don't mind. I enjoy making extra effort to be friendly to the cashier. Eye contact, smiles, the works.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
See now when I was working at a check out I made my 'speech' alot more creative and used to ask customers loads of personal stuff and have a good ole chin wag; the best of it was they used to delight in telling me everything...

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
First off, we aren't monkeys. Why do I say this? Toliet paper.

I'm sorry, but it is a similar behaviour and there are similar reasons for its existence. I meant to compare the behaviour to animals similar to us, not to say that we are "monkeys".

Second, I've worked with people who weren't happy with simple answers and who would start giving me a hard time about not having party animal stories to tell on Mondays or who wanted to give me grief because I wasn't withchild yet or whatever. Mindless, invasive chit-chat can be very enervating.

That is unfortunate.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's definitely a force to be reckoned with in the US.

The first few times that I heard "Did you find everything OK?", (which has got to be the stupidest scripted retail-speak ever), I was like "Um, yeah but"... I was giving serious thought to how they could improve the layout of their store etc, to make things more accessible. LOL.

Anyway, other than that I don't mind. I enjoy making extra effort to be friendly to the cashier. Eye contact, smiles, the works.

YES, PERFECT! "Did you find everything OK?" WELL, YEAH, do you not see me here ready to pay for it all? Am I not at the checkout counter with all my finds? If I had not found everything ok, would I not still be wandering about in the aisles?

The cable company I buy from makes me verify my entire name, address, phone number and PIN number every time I call, and then says, after I am already ready to pull out my hair, "May I look at your account?" :shock: No, I just called to chat ...

V

violaine

YES, PERFECT! "Did you find everything OK?" WELL, YEAH, do you not see me here ready to pay for it all? Am I not at the checkout counter with all my finds? If I had not found everything ok, would I not still be wandering about in the aisles?

Exactly! It is so inane. :doh:

The cable company I buy from makes me verify my entire name, address, phone number and PIN number every time I call, and then says, after I am already ready to pull out my hair, "May I look at your account?" :shock: No, I just called to chat ...

I hate this kind of redundancy... (I don't mind the kind of redundancy where I quote you and make this kind of comment though ;))

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After working in customer service for 3 yrs, 1 yr of which I was a part-time phone rep (gag), I am not nearly as hard as I used to be on customer service-type people. It's not a very good existance, being a customer service rep. I was pretty miserable, actually, and sometimes dumb stuff would come out of my mouth while on the phone...so I try to cut all of them some slack now. And it would cheer me up when people were actually nice to me.

(But, I get what all of you are saying, too. ;))

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not mad at the CSRs. I'm mad at whoever thought it was a good idea to turn them all into robots. I'm nice, I promise I'm nice ... it just makes me use the internet more.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, you know. And take people at their word. If they ask if you found everything okay answer them if you didn't. A good employee will follow through and help you.

A few folks posting here seem to have forgotten that they're talking to real live human beings with needs and feelings who are trying to make a buck at something they probably don't enjoy much.

We live in such a rotten culture of nonspeak that we've come to think of others like our cars who talk to us. Now that irritates the heck out of me - a talking machine. But people? Even monkeys do display some competence at social custom.

Blueberry LaLa

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, when I saw the title of this thread I went "Ooo!" and thought it was going to be about those random, chit-chatty conversations that people who are waiting in line with you strike up. I kinda find those fun, sometimes.