• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Idealist Thoughts on INTP Romance

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Astris, watch your six. I don't care if he's an INTP, THAT is simply unacceptable, especially with the roller coaster he's put you on. I would be pitching an Fe-fit right now if I had an INTP girlfriend who was putting me through that (though that is EXTREMELY immature behavior for an INTP on average, as an adult). I swear, it looks like he's about to get laid for two weeks...

I'm a man. I'm a loyal man, and I will be a monogomous man when the time comes... However, from a man's mind, and a man's sexual perspective, and a societal perspective, he's <perhaps subconciously> looking to get laid. I'm sorry.

He may not know what he's thinking. Men often don't focus on our own motivations for doing things. I will tell you that it's likely, in his head, that he's told himself it's okay, that he's committed to you, and that she and he aren't...BUT, again, he might not be aware of his subconcious attraction to the other girl he's about to give one-on-one precious time with.

If I were you (and I sort of am in a way), I would insist on inviting myself on that trip. This is a major violation...even he should see it. If you don't go, I would end the relationship. I don't care about how much he takes his attention away, and sulks, if his intentions toward you are as they appear, he shouldn't take issue missing one camping trip alone with a girl...in theory...he's completely plutonic over (and therefore shouldn't desire to spend a significant amount of time with her alone). Things just don't add up. :doh:

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Wow. Forgive me for saying but I would never be ok with that. It's lovely that you are so flexible and caring but I hope you don't get run over by this person. It's not a matter of trusting him, he's putting himself (and you) in a really precarious situation. i.e. How could you possibly feel safe in this situation?

Did something ever happen between them, how do you know he hasn't been seeing her at the same time as you and this is the trip where he's going to break it off with her?

I do know someone who might do something similar to this with no bad intention on his part because he felt sorry for the woman. But still. I hope he's calling you over those two weeks. Every night at least.

I don't know if something ever happened between them, and he's not seeing her at the same time he's seeing me because she lives half an ocean away (and after this trip she will live a whole ocean away). He spends part of, if not the entirety, of every weekend with me since we started dating unless one or both of us are out-of-town. The impression that I get from him is that he doesn't know her very well and just views her as a friend at this point. From what Jock and others have told me, INTPs have very different perspectives on their relationships with people than an NF does.

He's mentioned to me that this is the first time he's really felt he's had the attention of more than one woman. While I'm sure it's flattering to him, I also think he's not quite sure how to proceed. I don't know if he's had to rebuff women before.

I did tell him that I need him to call me or keep in touch with me when he's on this trip, and there's still plenty of time to get details and expectations ironed out.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
tell him how you feel about this, thats its wrong thing for him to do and explain why. imo he is acting like an idiot

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
He may not know what he's thinking. Men often don't focus on our own motivations for doing things. I will tell you that it's likely, in his head, that he's told himself it's okay, that he's committed to you, and that she and he aren't...BUT, again, he might not be aware of his subconcious attraction to the other girl he's about to give one-on-one precious time with.

If I were you (and I sort of am in a way), I would insist on inviting myself on that trip. This is a major violation...even he should see it. If you don't go, I would end the relationship. I don't care about how much he takes his attention away, and sulks, if his intentions toward you are as they appear, he shouldn't take issue missing one camping trip alone with a girl...in theory...he's completely plutonic over (and therefore shouldn't desire to spend a significant amount of time with her alone). Things just don't add up. :doh:

I don't have the money or the ability to take two weeks off to go to this exotic and foreign land on a camping trip (work and school obligations keep me pretty close to home next month). He's expressed that the last time he had an opportunity to go to this country he missed it, and I honestly don't want to be the person who kept him from traveling somewhere he wanted to go.

I told him straight out that if something happened between them on this trip I would have no problem walking away from it. And I honestly would not have a problem doing that. So he knows the consequences. There are other factors that I don't feel comfortable sharing but I feel ensure that nothing is going to happen between them.

You're right that things don't add up, and I do think that one of the reasons he took so long to tell me was because he knew it was going to cause a conflict. I also agree that he's not quite sure what he's thinking either.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
tell him how you feel about this, thats its wrong thing for him to do and explain why. imo he is acting like an idiot

He has admitted that he hasn't handled this situation in a way that's fair to me, and he has expressed interest in doing what he can that would make me feel more comfortable about the whole thing.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think, Astris, that I would have to protest. Your BF may be thinking, "I'll be fine. I have a GF and it doesn't make sense to get tangled up with another woman. She may be attracted to me but I've got this under control." I think many INTPs can underestimate other people's emotions and motives and our own response to them. It's a situation that has a lot of potential minefields--just throwing two people in a setting that creates intimacy (no matter how temporary) is a huge red flag. It's not really about trust...it comes down to something just not being a good idea. Plus when you respect your partner, you don't willingly put yourself in a setting where there is good potential for intimacy to grow.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Huh. Honestly, I've done things like this before and suffered the inevitable fallout from the gf, where I'm oblivious/don't care as to who is going, but my focus is on a rather specific element of the trip [the backpacking, just getting away, a specific museum exhibit...etc].

Nobody really knows the situation regarding him and this woman better than you at this point, so I'd trust your evaluation of the dynamic between them...but I've been in identical situations where my intentions were just on "the trip" and not really who was going to be there. :shrug:

I also don't understand the "making the trip without my input" complaint.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Huh. Honestly, I've done things like this before and suffered the inevitable fallout from the gf, where I'm oblivious/don't care as to who is going, but my focus is on a rather specific element of the trip [the backpacking, just getting away, a specific museum exhibit...etc].

Nobody really knows the situation regarding him and this woman better than you at this point, so I'd trust your evaluation of the dynamic between them...but I've been in identical situations where my intentions were just on "the trip" and not really who was going to be there. :shrug:

I also don't understand the "making the trip without my input" complaint.

He is most certainly focused on the backpacking-in-foreign-country aspect of the trip. When he explained his motivations to me of why he wanted to go, it was "I've always wanted to go to this place and do this and now I have the opportunity!", as opposed to, "I'm going on a trip with this girl!"

I haven't met the woman, but he's said he can arrange an introduction.

The "making the trip without my input" complaint is that, the decision to make the trip affects the significant other and the decision was made without giving the significant other a head's up. Therefore, the significant other was completely unable to express his/her opinion that would in any way affect the outcome, which leaves him/her feeling like their feelings or opinion doesn't matter, i.e. unwanted.

I'm not wild about him going on this trip, and honestly I would rather he didn't, but I don't want to control his behavior. If I didn't trust him, what the hell am I doing with him? If he betrays my trust, he knows what will happen. He's proven himself trustworthy and reliable so far.

He's also expressed that he realizes there may be some emotional fallout with this other girl that may affect the trip, that I don't think he anticipated having to deal with.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
He has admitted that he hasn't handled this situation in a way that's fair to me, and he has expressed interest in doing what he can that would make me feel more comfortable about the whole thing.

its not fair to you that he goes. is there anything that he can do to make you feel comfortable about this other than not going? if not, i think you should tell it to him.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
My line of thinking is like Jock's...I'd probably be like, "Ooh! Trip!" and not even think about the guy who was into me, because in my mind, I'm not into him, and it's not going to happen, and why give up an awesome trip because of a minor travelling companion nuisance. This is why we get all confused when we date people who are more people-aware than we are, b/c we're not all about making connections all the time. Generally speaking, INTPs don't just fall into relationships all the time. For me, finding someone I am actually interested in and click with happens so infrequently, it's laughable to think about mere proximity changing that.

However, since it bothers you and makes you feel icky, he should consider your feelings.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're right that things don't add up, and I do think that one of the reasons he took so long to tell me was because he knew it was going to cause a conflict. I also agree that he's not quite sure what he's thinking either.

So... seems this is yet another ENFJ rant for ranting's sake?
Either your story doesn't add up or his doesn't. First you say that he said you two haven't been together long enough to go away on holiday together; now you tell us that he's going away with someone he barely knows and that you aren't prepared to /can't go. Which is it? And if you've no intention of doing anything about it why come on here bitching about it? It's irritating and seems disloyal to me, especially since you aren't looking for solutions just trying to garner some sympathy/support for a situation you've already decided to put up with.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think, Astris, that I would have to protest. Your BF may be thinking, "I'll be fine. I have a GF and it doesn't make sense to get tangled up with another woman. She may be attracted to me but I've got this under control." I think many INTPs can underestimate other people's emotions and motives and our own response to them. It's a situation that has a lot of potential minefields--just throwing two people in a setting that creates intimacy (no matter how temporary) is a huge red flag. It's not really about trust...it comes down to something just not being a good idea. Plus when you respect your partner, you don't willingly put yourself in a setting where there is good potential for intimacy to grow.

Redbone is a smart lady. A person doesn't have to be intentionally looking for chances to stray. However, if the other person likes him and if they are frequently thrown together and if certain circumstances make it conducive, it's easy for something to end up happening. Even if your bf and you are cool with it all (which I don't think is the case), the other girl's feelings should also be considered. If you have all the ingredients mixed together for a certain recipe, it follows that you will end up with that product. This isn't about you controlling him or about whether or not you trust him. Given the right circumstances, none of us are completely trustworthy, no matter our age, character or relationship status. This is something worth fighting over.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This makes more sense.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
He is most certainly focused on the backpacking-in-foreign-country aspect of the trip. When he explained his motivations to me of why he wanted to go, it was "I've always wanted to go to this place and do this and now I have the opportunity!", as opposed to, "I'm going on a trip with this girl!"

I haven't met the woman, but he's said he can arrange an introduction.

The "making the trip without my input" complaint is that, the decision to make the trip affects the significant other and the decision was made without giving the significant other a head's up. Therefore, the significant other was completely unable to express his/her opinion that would in any way affect the outcome, which leaves him/her feeling like their feelings or opinion doesn't matter, i.e. unwanted.

I'm not wild about him going on this trip, and honestly I would rather he didn't, but I don't want to control his behavior. If I didn't trust him, what the hell am I doing with him? If he betrays my trust, he knows what will happen. He's proven himself trustworthy and reliable so far.

He's also expressed that he realizes there may be some emotional fallout with this other girl that may affect the trip, that I don't think he anticipated having to deal with.

Astris, this makes much more sense.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
So... seems this is yet another ENFJ rant for ranting's sake?
Either your story doesn't add up or his doesn't. First you say that he said you two haven't been together long enough to go away on holiday together; now you tell us that he's going away with someone he barely knows and that you aren't prepared to /can't go. Which is it? And if you've no intention of doing anything about it why come on here bitching about it? It's irritating and seems disloyal to me, especially since you aren't looking for solutions just trying to garner some sympathy/support for a situation you've already decided to put up with.

This post was where it all got started. So please don't say that I "came here bitching about it", because I was trying to clarify a point that INTP made, which was what started this whole three page discussion. I never even asked anyone for sympathy/support, even though I've received plenty of support and kind notes from people here via PM.

1) He said that we haven't been together long enough to go on vacation together. You can choose to believe me or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. But that is what he said. We're spending Christmas and New Year's together with both our families, so take that for whatever it's worth. My intuition says that he is a bit relationship-shy and didn't really think his trip through before he committed to going on it.

2) I can't drop everything to take off in two weeks on a two week vacation. I have grad school and I have work commitments next month that obligate me to be here and not on vacation. He told me he didn't know the woman very well, whom I've never met before. I suppose this is a contradiction on his part, since he doesn't feel obligated spending vacations with me yet he's going on vacation with a woman he doesn't know as well as me.

Again, you can believe me or not, I'm just a random stranger on the internet. But don't go accusing me of doing things that I didn't do. I certainly didn't need or want my comment to turn into a 3 page discussion of the inner workings of my relationship. I'm very sorry to have derailed the thread, which I enjoyed reading and was interested in following. I won't respond to any more comments on this thread directed at this particular instance. If you want to discuss this issue with me, please PM me as I'm not going to be complicit in derailing the thread any further.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can he be trusted to say something if hormones kick in and he "loses himself in the moment"? That, to me, seems to be the most important question here.

If this relationship has serious marriage potential, then this is probably a terrible idea. The relationship is too young to be expected to shoulder a test like this. If the marriage thing is still up for question, if he can be trusted to be honest, and if ExAstrisSpes is okay to let the pieces fall where they may, then why not let this play out?

rav3n

Can he be trusted to say something if hormones kick in and he "loses himself in the moment"? That, to me, seems to be the most important question here.

If this relationship has serious marriage potential, then this is probably a terrible idea. The relationship is too young to be expected to shoulder a test like this. If the marriage thing is still up for question, if he can be trusted to be honest, and if ExAstrisSpes is okay to let the pieces fall where they may, then why not let this play out?
Udog, the beginning of a relationship is where you set the tone for the rest of it. The less honesty one expresses at the beginning, the greater the shock will be once the honeymoon period wears off.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This post was where it all got started. So please don't say that I "came here bitching about it", because I was trying to clarify a point that INTP made, which was what started this whole three page discussion. I never even asked anyone for sympathy/support, even though I've received plenty of support and kind notes from people here via PM.

1) He said that we haven't been together long enough to go on vacation together. You can choose to believe me or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. But that is what he said. We're spending Christmas and New Year's together with both our families, so take that for whatever it's worth. My intuition says that he is a bit relationship-shy and didn't really think his trip through before he committed to going on it.

2) I can't drop everything to take off in two weeks on a two week vacation. I have grad school and I have work commitments next month that obligate me to be here and not on vacation. He told me he didn't know the woman very well, whom I've never met before. I suppose this is a contradiction on his part, since he doesn't feel obligated spending vacations with me yet he's going on vacation with a woman he doesn't know as well as me.
I for one don't much care about thread derails. Maybe the feedback you've had will be helpful to you, maybe it won't. I just find it annoying when people make passive-aggressive comments like those in your first post (which was dripping with sarcasm and self-pity, whether you intended it or not), and then start defending the partner they've attacked from the inevitable attacks of others over what appears to be completely unacceptable behaviour. It's irrational and I do not understand it.

I'm not suggesting you're lying. I'm just wondering why you'd be prepared to put up with your boyfriend making you play second fiddle to some woman he barely knows. Do you think he'd be happy if the tables were turned - to let you go away with another man? He almost certainly would not. I don't believe even the most clueless INTP could think his behaviour (as you've described it) reasonable.

sleepy

My last girlfriend told me that the more she got to know me the less she knew me. That broke my heart.

My last boyfriend told me he loved me and wanted to show me off to his family, that turned me off.

I'm not made for lovin, this rips me apart.

not really, just like to think so.