• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Question for INFP's or NF's in general...

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
So one of my good friends (INFP) and I were talking the other day and however it came up She was telling me how there's a good versus evil battle going on inside her head and usually believes that good will prevail. So anyways I was just wondering if this is a norm for NF's because being the strong S that I am I can't really relate.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
From the INFP's I know, this sounds normal. I usually am so in love with myself that I hardly can believe that I would be capable of being evil...

redacted

So one of my good friends (INFP) and I were talking the other day and however it came up She was telling me how there's a good versus evil battle going on inside her head and usually believes that good will prevail. So anyways I was just wondering if this is a norm for NF's because being the strong S that I am I can't really relate.

Definitely not for me. I'm not too concerned with words like "good" and "evil".

My goal is long-term happiness maximization. I value other people, which means it makes me happy to make them happy -- so I try to make them happy too. But "good" and "evil" are just terms that confuse my goals -- no point in complicating the issue.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the INFP's I know, this sounds normal. I usually am so in love with myself that I hardly can believe that I would be capable of being evil...

and someone tried to call us cocky yesterday...hmmmp...i don't believe it...haha...really lol'd at that one!! :smile:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...there's no good vs evil in my head either
there's what i want to do vs what i should do but not at all the same i don't think...cuz they're both "good"

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

My goal is long-term happiness maximization. I value other people, which means it makes me happy to make them happy -- so I try to make them happy too. But "good" and "evil" are just terms that confuse my goals -- no point in complicating the issue.

I agree with you 100% I just noticed that you're a type 9 male like me wohooo! I don't like complicating the issue either it seemed like an interesting topic to bring up though.

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I've heard that in the type descriptions for INFP, but I can't really relate to it. I generally tend to think of things that I come across in those terms (good and bad), but I don't feel like I'm in some constant internal struggle with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other or anything. I try to do good and be on the side of what is good, but I don't really view it as an epic battle or anything. I guess I just don't think of myself as that important. :coffee:

eta- Wow it took me awhile to come up with an answer, five posts inbetween ha.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I've heard that in the type descriptions for INFP, but I can't really relate to it. I generally tend to think of things that I come across in those terms (good and bad), but I don't feel like I'm in some constant internal struggle with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other or anything. I try to do good and be on the side of what is good, but I don't really view it as an epic battle or anything. I guess I just don't think of myself as that important. :coffee:

eta- Wow it took me awhile to come up with an answer, five posts inbetween ha.

haha I always do the same thing! I go back delete something and write it again. I think she was referring to situations when she was in a rough spot in her life not simple things..I couldn't imagine all that inner turmoil!

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I think she was referring to situations when she was in a rough spot in her life not simple things..I couldn't imagine all that inner turmoil!

Hm, what do you mean by rough spots? During times in my life where I have felt like there was some sort of decision to make or different paths I could choose I do tend to see it in terms of good or evil in a way that others might not. Or, looking back, I can see times when I have made a decision that I now regret and it looms very, very huge for me as, like, nooo I did WRONG - I beat myself up for those things a lot. In that way maybe I can relate.

I wonder what it's like for you, being Fi dominant as well?

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I think she was referring to times where she was in a bad situation and it was very difficult for her to decide what to do.

Personally I don't think in terms of good vs. Evil. I think it maybe because I'm a strong sensing type. However I do my best to be a good person and to be respectful and to try to make a pleasant environment for everyone.

Sorry if there are any spelling erros I'm posting this from my blackberry :)

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Question for INFPs or NFs in general

There have been times in my life where no matter what decision I made, it seemed to me someone would get hurt and I tend to analyze these situations to the point of paralysis. I don't think of them so much as good vs evil as a conflict in principles.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
not so much an epic battle as a slow sensuous dance

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
As an INFP I concur with your friend, there is a constant play out of bad vs good in my head. It's the kind of books I like, the kind of films I like, pure evil vs pure good.

I DO concern myself with things like good and evil and have no trouble applying such labels to them.

redacted

There have been times in my life where no matter what decision I made, it seemed to me someone would get hurt and I tend to analyze these situations to the point of paralysis. I don't think of them so much as good vs evil as a conflict in principles.

Ditto.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
As an INFP I concur with your friend, there is a constant play out of bad vs good in my head. It's the kind of books I like, the kind of films I like, pure evil vs pure good.

I DO concern myself with things like good and evil and have no trouble applying such labels to them.

Definitely, I agree.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7

Same here, evil and good never come into consideration. My goal is to be happy, and in turn make the people in my life that are important to me happy as a sort of bi-product. Good and evil never come into my line of thought concerning my goals, only what would prove useful to said pursuits and what would hinder them.

When you say a battle of good vs. evil in your head I kind of imagine a duel between a Swordsman in black and one in white. In my head both have been slain by a Gunslinger in gray.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm, personally I think it's an oversimplifcation of thought patterns, but yeah. Don't other people think in terms of good and evil?
I wonder what an evil INFP would be like?

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ

I can relate.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think that the phrase ":jesus: vs. :devil:" is basically describing the emotional intensity of an INFPs inner turmoil/conflict. Everyone is different, but there are those, including myself, that are very hard on themselves perhaps due to parents, friends or siblings making one feel inadequate to be so emotional and caring perhaps making it so intense and extremist. The emotion within can be so intense that it appears to be "good vs. evil" sometimes, or as I call it, "mind vs. heart." A lot of the times our head tells us to move on and to stop investing anymore time and effort into someone that could be hurting us or who just has nothing positive to offer (like a black hole), but our hearts keep seeing the goodness in the person and wants to persevere and be there for them to the point where we'd bend over backwards to see them be okay, even if it means putting ourselves on the line. The conflict lies where we know we "should" take care of ourselves and listen to our heads, but our heart disregards what our mind says and so we are left with having to make a choice, right dab in the middle of either extreme, it's "all or nothing." Anyway, that's my take on it.