• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ: the one that got away?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:)But "immature" is an interesting word that I see bandied about often. Were the people who left the INFJs immature? Maybe so, maybe no. Is it immature to be at different points in life? I wouldn't say that just because a person brands you the one that got away that they were necessarily immature. Maybe them breaking up with you at that point in time was the most mature act they could do.

My immature label was referring to the INxJs that behave obnoxiously enigmatic, not other people.

Last edited:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^All aboard!!

*crunchy cranky INFJ sugar coco-bombs!!* *drags up a big bowl and spoon*

Gotta fuel up. Flicking is an art form best done after a hearty meal! :D

V

violaine

tee hee hee, oh Pink-y! :D

eeps *remembers to duck the spoon*

(damn this slow connection - comic timing fail).

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I won't even lie, this thread was giving me an upset stomach trying to read it all so I just scanned it. I only wanted to say that I think we all have this narcissistic desire and hope the other person wished they had made a different choice and thinks about/misses us often. The reality is that I think some types move on faster than others and I know for fact many NTs and NFs fall into that group.

As an ENTP, when I'm done I am very very done and unwilling to visit the past. It takes a lot to get me there but once I am, it's over. This combined with always having dated S types who tend to have a harder time moving on I find they tend to wanna visit the past more and express a wish that there had been a different outcome.

Having people in my past that feel were "the one that got away" is more a reflection of my poor choices in a partner as opposed to their mistakes. Whatever the cause, be it Sensors that could never meet my needs, youth, ego, cheating, lack of honesty with me/self or what ever. The real issue if I'm going to be 100% honest with myself in every single case has been more about me and less about the other person.

This may have something to do with my level of autonomy and a desire to learn from everything that has happened in my past knowing that I'm the master of my life and this includes the people I allow into it as well as what they do once inside.

Being Buddhist, I know there are girls in my past that would have been wonderful partners for me however I don't see them as the "ones that got away", I see them as women I wasn't ready for so I stepped aside so they could be with somebody that was ready. I have learned and grown so much from the choices I've made that I liked least or was least proud of that I have zero regrets. One can't be expected to not make mistakes, the only mistake one can make from them is not learning from them.

Now I sit 100% open to love and for the first time in my life able to be a man instead of a boy, I know how to treat a woman with the respect, passion, loyalty, compassion and the honesty I feel should make up the foundation of a healthy relationship. Yet with this internal search and understanding of self comes even less of a willingness to settle for somebody that isn't in the same place. So maybe there's a catch 22 here at play as well.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
tee hee hee, oh Pink-y! :D

eeps *remembers to duck the spoon*

You wanna share? I gots a spoon from Switzerland here. Or you could use the one I got from South of the Border with a giant sombrero on it. :)

(damn this slow connection - comic timing fail).

I know! *grumbles* Many a magnificent grandiloquent frabjous witty zinger has been befouled by my slow dial-up speedz too. :( <-----*intolerable ENFJ black cloud sulks*

redacted

Does anyone else get the feeling that people here (sometimes) almost deliberately misunderstand the point someone's making just to have something to disagree with? We're such nit-pickers.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now I sit 100% open to love and for the first time in my life able to be a man instead of a boy, I know how to treat a woman with the respect, passion, loyalty, compassion and the honesty I feel should make up the foundation of a healthy relationship. Yet with this internal search and understanding of self comes even less of a willingness to settle for somebody that isn't in the same place. So maybe there's a catch 22 here at play as well.

If you continue to express such vile statements, I will deploy my flying monkeys.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anyone else get the feeling that people here (sometimes) almost deliberately misunderstand the point someone's making just to have something to disagree with? We're such nit-pickers.

Contrarians, you mean? Nay! Such people are merely offering themselves up as targets for your laser wit and comely ankles. Dance for me!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Does this mean I can't flick people on the balls? We all know Erin so needs a good ball-flicking. Synarch's boobs are the next stop on the Flickstah Express!

The INFJs can't have the "cranky" label. It's mine. I claimz it 4 France!

Wait. Why are my boobs getting flicked?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why ask why? *debonair leer* Shampanyuh?!

I felt like it? I like to feel it? It feels like to it? Confuse me not, sir!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Ooof, what I really meant by my statement was that, of all the crazy rambling and input from members on this thread, it seems to be that really only the type to understand what point I was trying to get across to discuss were other INFJ. I should've said something along the lines of, "for serious discussion between INFJ only," because this thread sure is getting convoluted and is beginning to exhaust me trying to keep up.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love you, PP.
+1 but ouch girl! i wouldn't do that shit to you!! i want the other half of my bff charm heart necklace back now i think...i mean...you've really done it now!:devil:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love you, PP.

:newwink:

+1 but ouch girl! i wouldn't do that shit to you!! i want the other half of my bff charm heart necklace back now i think...i mean...you've really done it now!:devil:

Awright, awright, ye've made yer point! *clings to charm* MINE! MINE! Will you forgive me if I flick Protean's junk instead? I'm really pretty open to flicking any forum member's junk (except Haight who might destroy me)! Don't leave me this way, woman!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh no sounds perfect! i'll help! :D

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm wondering if this is the case for other INFJs...

I can count maybe 4-5 guys who have passed me up in the past who have admitted that they regret letting me go, passing me up, or letting me get away.

Yep. I'd say that's been my experience too.
It's always after the fact that realization sinks in but it's usually pretty hard to earn my trust back once I've been burned.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
I feel like I need to try to make my suggestion clear again... this thread has gone in a completely different direction than I expected or intended it to:

The INFJ personality seems to be taken for granted in a relationship (and I think this might have to do with age/experience/maturity), and the mate moves on because he/she doesn't fully appreciate the qualities of the INFJ. Later on, as age/experience/maturity progresses, the ex-mate realizes that their ex-INFJ is something quite special, and doesn't easily find their lasting qualities in other mates. That is to say, that I'm wondering if it's common for other INFJ to have experienced this... being passed up, and then later told that their ex-mate regrets letting go of what they had.

Of course, it is experienced with all types, I imagine, but my suggestion is that it might be more common with the INFJ. The point is to have a discussion among other INFJ to see if there is a common thread and to understand why it seems to happen so often.

That'll probably be my last attempt to get everyone to understand what this thread was supposed to be about. Getting kinda frustrated...

Hey, an INTJ here. I'm not sure I belong in this conversation as the "relationships are their achilles heal - INTJ" type but what the hey. I think we INTJs are probably the closest to the INFJ without being one...that intense Ni preference and all. My problem is having the game to get into the relationship. Once I'm there I've always been quite comfortable. I've never had a regret after leaving a relationship, but don't she ever did either.

I am surprised that no one has asked what kind of personalities these "regret" guys had? That seems really relevant. The common denominator may lie there. So, INFJs, tell us about these guys...

That is if this conversation is still alive. I had to really start skimming to catch up before posting.

I've never dated an INFJ. I am intrigued and frightened by you at the same time. The one confirmed potential INFJ mate I knew also frightened me, but more than she intrigued me. I don' think she was a healthy one.

S

Sniffles

Well I'm still trying to recover from one INTJ girl breaking my heart. So I can't say my views on the prospects of INFJ-INTJ relations is very positive.

I'll say this: I'm somewhat stuck in between a rock and a hard place here. On one hand, I don't really want her back in my life, yet at the same time I can't completely forget about her either. A colleague said it was a conflict between my Ni and Fe. My Ni has moved on, but my Fe hasn't.

Can anyother INFJs relate to this conflict?