• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Life and Philosophy

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Is it possible for you to live without a philosophy? I realized that for me it would be impossible and depressing to not have a philosophy of my own. Then I started thinking if this is because the core values are put together in my mind and they form this philosophy. Is the philosophy only the values? Could these be separated? If I work against my philosophy, I work against my values. From the animal perspective that is about the same as not following your instinct. Then again, there are lots of values that are wrong from the animal perspective. That implies that there are wrong philosophies. Wrong in the way they deny the animal side of us and deprive us from our animal needs. This would mean that all philosophies that are applicable have to be based on the animal side of us. Does that mean that philosophy is only a detour to instincts?

So, to my questions. What is the reason you have a philosophy and would it be possible to get rid of it? If you started now to put down your life philosophy, would you succeed?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Interesting thoughts. I'm not sure if I can give you a good answer but I'll try. If anything, my life's philosophy is to learn from my mistakes, to keep an open mind, and to continue to grow towards a horizon that is always broadening.

In that way, I don't believe I have a set philosophy. Its almost as if my philosophy is to always find a better one each day. If I tried to act against that I would be immensely unhappy. Could I live without a philosophy? No. In a way its what makes me alive and keeps me going when nothing else can.

What is your philosophy Nolla?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Even if you have a philosophy of no philosophy, that is still philosophy.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Is it possible for you to live without a philosophy? I realized that for me it would be impossible and depressing to not have a philosophy of my own. Then I started thinking if this is because the core values are put together in my mind and they form this philosophy. Is the philosophy only the values? Could these be separated? If I work against my philosophy, I work against my values. From the animal perspective that is about the same as not following your instinct. Then again, there are lots of values that are wrong from the animal perspective. That implies that there are wrong philosophies. Wrong in the way they deny the animal side of us and deprive us from our animal needs. This would mean that all philosophies that are applicable have to be based on the animal side of us. Does that mean that philosophy is only a detour to instincts?

So, to my questions. What is the reason you have a philosophy and would it be possible to get rid of it? If you started now to put down your life philosophy, would you succeed?
A philosophy is not the question you place to the other party.
It is the question you place to yourself.

Questions are never answered.
Only answers are questioned.

Gauche

My philosophy is nihilism:threaten:

well no.. I cannot determine if I live by a philosophy, I have my values which I live by, someone might call it philosophy if he want. (but nihilism is one of more appealing defined philosophies for me , yeah)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
What is your philosophy Nolla?

Quite close to yours, actually. It's something not static. I think it is a set of values that feed personal growth. Then, as I grow, some values gain strength as I understand them better. Some values lose their meaning. Still, the point is that I need to have that one "punch line" that defines me. Maybe my philosophy is personal growth. I believe that there is something more I could be. I think there was a time when I didn't have this thought and I was very depressed. Which is kinda strange. If we think that we are animals, why do we need to define ourselves in order to feel happy? Is it that I was living a way that would have led me to my end? I don't suppose that any of us could act against our instincts for too long. At some point the depression would have killed me (physically, mentally or spiritually). Maybe...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm this is interesting...

I do think everyone has a general philosophy they live by, whether they realize it or not..

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm this is interesting...

I do think everyone has a general philosophy they live by, whether they realize it or not..
Yes, I was going to say that there are probably lots of people who live by their own "philosophy," but wouldn't think about it in that way.

Lozzy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Really interesting thread :)

nolla said:
Maybe my philosophy is personal growth. I believe that there is something more I could be.

I totally relate to this. I connect a lot of what I do to growth. I get a deep sense of satisfaction when I do something that has meaning, or I feel is helping me change. My 'views' are a lot more fluid, i.e. politics, religion etc. but deep down I think self improvement is kind of my compass. Part of the reason I like reading, and try and encourage myself to make more time for it, is that I love the feeling that I get after I finish a book that makes me view things differently, or that gives me an insight in to feelings I don't quite understand. It's rare that books have such an impact, but I rarely read trashy novels because of it, not that there's anything wrong with trashy novels. It's part of the reason I love meeting people too; when I understand someone else, in some strange way I understand myself that little bit more. Often people I don't know very well get put on the back foot when I ask them personal or probing questions, maybe it comes across as nosiness, but I have a sincere desire to understand who people are and how they live, it gives me a lot of perspective. Plus, other people are awesome. :hug:

shortnsweet said:

Without a doubt. Humans need something to live by, I strongly believe that everyone has certain principles that they cling to pretty closely. Most people just don't like to admit it. :devil:

G

garbage

It's possible, but I'd argue that you might be happier with one.

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People talks about becoming principle-centered. In short, this means that, rather than basing your happiness on your achievements or interpersonal relationships, you base it on a set of core principles, possibly derived from a personal mission statement.

This is because these principles never change, whereas you may always fail to achieve something and become upset, or you may break off a relationship and become distraught. So as long as you abide by your principles and adopt that mindset, you'll be more content on the whole. Adherence to those principles will also positively affect the other areas of your life, such as your ability to achieve and your relationships.

Easier said than done, of course.

I think that's similar to a life philosophy, right? Just.. as seen from an extremely practical manner? :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I live my life in harmony; the yin and the yang. I know NFs are usually optimistic, and see a good in the world...but it doesn't necessarily define me. I accept the terrible things of the world..death, murder, etc., and I accept all of them..I'm completely alright with all of it..because without them, good things wouldn't exist. Without the black, there wouldn't be the white. And I know I should "look on the brightside" and try to find good in all people..but the truth is..this world is a hostile place. I have painted my face black, as the Native Americans did, and I welcome death peacefully.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Great Question, Nolla:
I live my life in harmony; the yin and the yang. I know NFs are usually optimistic, and see a good in the world...but it doesn't necessarily define me. I accept the terrible things of the world..death, murder, etc., and I accept all of them..I'm completely alright with all of it..because without them, good things wouldn't exist. Without the black, there wouldn't be the white. And I know I should "look on the brightside" and try to find good in all people..but the truth is..this world is a hostile place. I have painted my face black, as the Native Americans did, and I welcome death peacefully.
I relate to this pretty well. I'm okay with the fact that everything's not always bright, shiny, spewing rainbows.. I'm okay with that. Because in the end, there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

My friend, who's Hindi, told me an old Indian proverb once... I forget exactly how she phrased it.. It goes something a little like this: "When we're born, we try to grasp onto anything. We cry, clench our fists out of our need to control, to understand, to make sense of the world... When we die, our palms are open, we let go..." Beautiful..

I think far too often, as humans, we tend to try to control things too much (especially ESTJs).. but it's good to let go and just go with through the ebb and flow of life. We'll always have our ups and downs, sometimes, more downs than ups, but it's all a part of life.

My personal philosophy, besides what's mentioned above, is to stay true to myself no matter what. I make all of my decisions based on my own personal life philosophy. Even if I had to die, I would sacrifice my life if it meant I had to go against my will to do something I'm totally against.

On the other hand, I know some people who could care less. I think abiding by our own personal life philosophy also relates to how well we know ourselves. It's people who lie to themselves, who tend to go against their own value system. They don't mind being corrupt. They live a sad, bleak, gloomy life that they try to mask with material things (status, monetary possessions, etc). That's just what I think though. No offense to anyone.