• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why are emotions important?

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do not intend this as flaming. I am hoping you guys can help me out here as I am often baffled by F types. Especially the NFs. I respect the differences in personality, but how is emotion necessary to society?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
a) It creates a bond between people which allows society to exist at all
b) It allows for empathy which makes people care about one another, hence again ensuring that society will take care of the people that are part of it
c) Ever seen the matrix? The robots have a 'society' without emotions and work together only for a common goal. And many are sacrificed in the process. Not to mention that they have no ethical filter on their cold logic.

Good emotions make us want to do or experience something again, because we like the feeling, for example 'love' (or even just lust) It also ensures that we find a mate and stay with her/him, in order to raise children. It also means we're capable of self-sacrifice in order to save your child and therefore continue the species. It can override the drive to survive (one of the few things that can).

'Bad' emotions make us react to or avoid a potentially harmful situation. Jealousy for instance, is an emotion which nobody likes. But it has its function. It makes you aware that your partner is investing his time and resources in a potential other mate, which could harm your (future) children. From a female perspective, she needs a guy around to help ensure her child will get the best and is therefore weary of any women who will bear her mate a child as well, as this will split his focus and resources. From a guy's perspective, you never know for sure that the time and resources you spend on a child is actually being spent on your child, as you have no way of knowing if it is truly yours. The only way to make sure is to stay close to your mate and make sure she doesn't have contact with other men in that way.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Necessary? Emotions simply are...they cannot be wished away. Sure they're frustrating and wasteful of energy and messy...but I like art and music and passion...It passes the time in a more pleasant way.

Emotions are what drive people to do, create, innovate they are the "fire in the belly"...I suppose we could exist without them but I wouldn't call that living.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
a) It creates a bond between people which allows society to exist at all
b) It allows for empathy which makes people care about one another, hence again ensuring that society will take care of the people that are part of it

I enjoy volunteering, but I've never been able to connect (emotionally) to the people I'm working with and for... and that's really the most beneficial aspect for the people being helped. In Russia, we weren't allowed to do very much outside of crafts (not so life changing), but the NF's in the group befriended the orphans quickly and were able to make them laugh... outside of the people in my group and those orphans, no one smiled or laughed in Yaroslavl, Russia... unless you count the crazy man who drove us around 100mph on icy roads. We actually weren't allowed to give the kids anything (including candy/food), so all we really had to offer was an emotional connection... and it seemed to mean quite a bit to them.

Atomic Fiend

Ha, they're important cause they exist, and we have to deal with them everyday kinda like taking a dump, it's not pretty, it's not fun, but you have to do it.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
emotions are not 'important' u damn tree huger : P. If you ask a question to somehow objectively judge emotion, you can't use subjective words.
I'm so disapointed in you, you told me you were an INTP. Or was it a slick way to get all the NF answering to the thread ? :newwink:

As said before, Emotions just are.
It's an evolutionary thing and has it's own reproductive values. Helped most 'advanced' life forms to survive in a better way than pure instincts did. More importantly, it's what allow social animals to bond.
This effect is especially important in animals such as humans, the complexity of our nervous system makes it technically 'compulsory' to have something much more complex than simple instincts, such as, for example, empathy. Also, our advanced cognitive capacities make a 'feelingless\loveless' human less likely to be tempted by reproduction and caring for the young, even if the instinctual drive is strong.

Now I know some people get all depressed when you tell them that the world isn't actually made of cookies but hey, I don't see the contradiction. Living your life and understanding it are not exclusive or something.

The real question would be: How come people such as ENTPS, rational extroverts, are usually (in my experience) so cheerful and people loving if they're 'Feeling' function is pretty weak.
Is the N function related to F in the brain ? and what about ESTx ?

I do no know.

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Necessary? Emotions simply are...they cannot be wished away. Sure they're frustrating and wasteful of energy and messy...but I like art and music and passion...It passes the time in a more pleasant way.

Emotions are what drive people to do, create, innovate they are the "fire in the belly"...I suppose we could exist without them but I wouldn't call that living.

I second that!

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ESTJs are practical, realistic, and matter-of-fact, with a natural head for business or mechanics. Though they are not interested in subjects they see no use for, they can apply themselves when necessary. They like to organize and run activities. ESTJs make good administrators, especially if they remember to consider others' feelings and points of view, which they often miss.

It would explain ALOT

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
<----Erm!!! There will be no treehugger-bashing!

I was talking about the intp author of the thread-whose-name-i-didn't-read :cheese:

I believe we should hug :hug:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was talking about the intp author of the thread-which-name-i-didn't-read :cheese:

I believe we should hug :hug:

*mumbles*....ok :hug:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It's funny by the way how people get emotional when talking about emotions, and then the NT go on like 'hey let's be rational here'

Wouldn't it mean that you NF guys should have the same right to judge our way of thinking using emotions ?

That would be so awesome:holy:

I could disprove it but hey, I'd use logics, so based on the previous statement I could also disprove my disproof.

ps: ama, i'm a member of the enfp-for-president club. You guys rock the world.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
It's funny by the way how people get emotional when talking about emotions, and then the NT go on like 'hey let's be rational here'

Wouldn't it mean that you NF guys should have the same right to judge our way of thinking using emotions ?

I could disprove it but hey, I'd use logics, so based on the previous statement I could also disprove my disproof.

That made me laugh. :shock: I would love to see this. I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm not an NF.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ps: ama, i'm a member of the enfp-for-president club. You guys rock the world.

What makes you think we don't? :D
But then, in the interest of harmony, we follow our mantra: 'live and let live'

Oh and Eck, I'm aware that you as an ENTP, share our 'charming' powers to certain extent :devil:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Oh and Eck, I'm aware that you as an ENTP, share our 'charming' powers to certain extent :devil:
My dad beat me until i turned into a T. I then went mac guyver on his ass.
It's a survival thing.
See the treehuging thing ? Well, if you don't fall off the tree, you don't get eaten by the T-REX.
This is all so very SCI-EN-TI-FIC.

or maybe I was just trying to make you feel better about not being an ENTP:whistling: (you started it!!)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
We come equipped with emotions because, like physical sensation, they are a way of informing our body what it needs to do next for satisfactory survival and existence. A person who is able to recognize, label and express his emotions in a positive manner has a distinct advantage over a person who rejects this piece of his safety system.