• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why are emotions important?

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
“Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.” - Hebbel

“People don't ask for facts in making up their minds. They would rather have one good, soul-satisfying emotion than a dozen facts.”
Robert Keith Leavitt

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
We come equipped with emotions because, like physical sensation, they are a way of informing our body what it needs to do next for satisfactory survival and existance. A person who is able to recognize, label and express his emotions in a positive manner has a distinct advantage over a person who rejects this piece of his safety system.

ur argument doesn't stand in the post modern world. We're quite confortable compared to our ancestors.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
“Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.” - Hebbel

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire-

““People don't ask for facts in making up their minds. They would rather have one good, soul-satisfying emotion than a dozen facts.”
Robert Keith Leavitt
This is actually a scientific fact, observed on magnetic resonnance imagery.
So I guess I should thank you for accidentally explaining us why religions are plaguing the world and wars are wagged over every possible bad excuse.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dad beat me until i turned into a T. I then went mac guyver on his ass.
It's a survival thing.
See the treehuging thing ? Well, if you don't fall off the tree, you don't get eaten by the T-REX.
This is all so very SCI-EN-TI-FIC.

or maybe I was just trying to make you feel better about not being an ENTP:whistling: (you started it!!)

You done yet? :coffee:

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire-

This is actually a scientific fact, observed on magnetic resonnance imagery.
So I guess I should thank you for accidentally explaining us why religions are plaguing the word and war are wagged over every possible bad excuse.

You have got to love Voltaire:

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too.
Voltaire

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
ur argument doesn't stand in the post modern world. We're quite confortable compared to our ancestors.

Yes, that is true if you are only thinking of physicality. I don't think it holds true for non-tangibles at all. Such as emotional health.

And I'm not sure that the most useful way to tackle this question is by comparisons. Individual emotion is probably the most useful way to examine the question.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

HA! That's a laugh. The average hunter-gatherer caveman spent 20 hours gathering/hunting for food, and the rest of his time sleeping, playing, and sexing it up with the wife. Now? 50-60 hours a week, we all hate ourselves and each other.

The average time it takes to maintain a household is the same amount of time it took 50 years ago, despite innovations in laundry, cleaning, etc. What gives?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes, that is true if you are only thinking of physicality. I don't think it holds true for non-tangibles at all. Such as emotional health.

And I'm not sure that the most useful way to tackle this question is by comparisons. Individual emotion is probably the most useful way to examine the question.
But isn't the 'non tangible' expressed in the physical word?
I'm not saying your 'wrong ' or anything, we all know human beings need both emotion and reason. 'm just curious to know your opinion.
HA! That's a laugh. The average hunter-gatherer caveman spent 20 hours gathering/hunting for food, and the rest of his time sleeping, playing, and sexing it up with the wife. Now? 50-60 hours a week, we all hate ourselves and each other.

The average time it takes to maintain a household is the same amount of time it took 50 years ago, despite innovations in laundry, cleaning, etc. What gives?

I won't even begin to describe how unfiting the argument is, but hey, nice try and i salute the references.
ps: did u ever risk your life going to the grocery store?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
What I'm talking about, Eck, is the nature of human interaction. Regardless of environment nothing much has changed, I suspect, about the way we react emotionally to our environment.

And, as a homeowner, I can affirm that little has changed in the amount of work it takes to maintain a "suitable" living environment in my lifetime. We were also told in high school that by the time we had reached working age that a work week would be reduced to four days. What I see now is people working two and three jobs and a great deal of overtime. A further example would be the amount of time it takes to check out a library book even with the modern electronic method. But that's beside the point of the OP.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I won't even begin to describe how unfiting the argument is, but hey, nice try and i salute the references.
ps: did u ever risk your life going to the grocery store?

How is the argument unfitting, you said we were better off and more comfortable now. I'm just asking you to apply a definition of "better off and more comfortable" since using one definition makes your statement laughable.

Oh, here is a nice source, although the studies by McCarthy and McArthur themselves elude me.

And are you kidding? Have you been to the grocery store on senior discount tuesday? I'd prefer the saber-toothed tiger. Anyways this is getting off topic.

Emotions are important because they exist and affect human behavior, thus they need to be considered.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
:laugh:
I'm just teasing you guys.

See the bright side: it makes this thread more lively!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...screw em...let's all be drones.