• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and problem solving

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I was in a room working with a group yesterday and I realised something strange. From reading some things on the messageboard, I got the idea thinkers take a detached viewpoint, and feelers get all subjective. Especially with Ne we are likely to jump to the answers without going through the motions. I do it a lot. But here in this group everyone was throwing everything in for discussion, and I realised something wasn't right and suddenly just stepped back and watched. I then proceeded to ask direct questions on a few points to establish an underlying framework and also suggested moving closer to first principles so less assumptions were being made. It was like my INTP father had jumped into my body. According to the stereotype as an ENFP I should've wanted to be in the fire playing round with concepts. But I went completely T and said, explain the basic principle behind it and justify why you are making these conclusions. I had no intent of using any more words than I needed to, and my brain had no tolerance for unjustified conclusions. It was like my intuition suddenly realised it wasn't getting anywhere and something new took over.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I just thought it was funny that the F in the group of Ts took this role. Was this a Te hit? Am I an ENTP with Ti that I ignore, hehe, or do all ENFPs do this a lot?

How do other ENFPs approach problems/behave in group problem solving situations?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...i don't know...i think i can be detached in a work situation like that. i can be good at finding quick solutions

i think brainstorming like that is great and really beneficial but if you can quickly assess which idea to run with i think that's fun too...the development of the idea...is fun...all the different ways it can be expanded...and then...you know...letting someone else do it. :)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Interesting that you looked for logic and reason in amongst the chaos.....

I know that I am like that, that there is something in me that hungers for logic, hungers for reason, wants to have things organized and I seek others to help me with that seek others to bring organization to my chaos. There is something in me that seeks knowledge, probably why I tend to gravitate towards INTJ's they cause me to go outside of my comfort zone and into an area that is wildly fascinating to me.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
This has happened to me... Particualry in times of crisis when emotions are running high... I can actually be coldest when trying to find a solution to a problem and even more so when doing this in a crisis situation it's like my feelings just shut down and I wheel in my objective thinking to save the day for me... and yes it does feel like somone or something else comes into you at these moments you don't feel like yourself

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm a logic purist when I need to get results.

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sometimes in a situation like that, I'll find myself becoming pretty detached from the discussion. I'll just sit back and listen to what everyone else is saying, maybe ask some questions, until I know I understand everything (the topic, everyone's viewpoints, the group dynamic) 100%.

I think our "big picture" complex(?) and need to take in information kick in times like these, and really help us out in a group situation.

Thinkerninja

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
We ENFPs tend to have several 'switches' :D (-cough- no misunderstanding here)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was in a room working with a group yesterday and I realised something strange. From reading some things on the messageboard, I got the idea thinkers take a detached viewpoint, and feelers get all subjective. Especially with Ne we are likely to jump to the answers without going through the motions. I do it a lot. But here in this group everyone was throwing everything in for discussion, and I realised something wasn't right and suddenly just stepped back and watched. I then proceeded to ask direct questions on a few points to establish an underlying framework and also suggested moving closer to first principles so less assumptions were being made. It was like my INTP father had jumped into my body. According to the stereotype as an ENFP I should've wanted to be in the fire playing round with concepts. But I went completely T and said, explain the basic principle behind it and justify why you are making these conclusions. I had no intent of using any more words than I needed to, and my brain had no tolerance for unjustified conclusions. It was like my intuition suddenly realised it wasn't getting anywhere and something new took over.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I just thought it was funny that the F in the group of Ts took this role. Was this a Te hit? Am I an ENTP with Ti that I ignore, hehe, or do all ENFPs do this a lot?

How do other ENFPs approach problems/behave in group problem solving situations?

I'm very versatile,
in group situations the E in me tends to take the lead but if it's not working i will take a back seat as assess the situation. I too can be a thinker at times. But it's in short fits and bursts until the emotions take over again. I completely understand and relate to what you are saying, i often argue/debate about a topic that i am acting intuitively on but then realise that i have to go and get some evidence. I then have to put on the thinking cap and investigate, usually though the intuition had it sussed in the first place.

sculpting

We ENFPs tend to have several 'switches' :D (-cough- no misunderstanding here)

I'm very versatile,
in group situations the E in me tends to take the lead but if it's not working i will take a back seat as assess the situation. I too can be a thinker at times. But it's in short fits and bursts until the emotions take over again. I completely understand and relate to what you are saying, i often argue/debate about a topic that i am acting intuitively on but then realise that i have to go and get some evidence. I then have to put on the thinking cap and investigate, usually though the intuition had it sussed in the first place.

Would the two of you mind elaborating?

Recently on a trip I was in a plane that got hit by lightning. In that instant the ISTJ next to me-he and many others started getting very anxious, talking, getting panicky. In my mind, I just stopped time for about 45 seconds and waited-perceiving. watch, watch, watch, observe the plane now verses before the lightening hit-did I see any changes in how it was behaving? But no emotion at all. Pure calm, cold observation. Empty of emotion. The ISTJ kept asking me questions. I ignored them, observing.

That is an extreme example but I routinely totally detach from emotion in analysis of problems. I asked my enfp coworker if she could do this. She said no, but also said to never back her into a corner or she would kill you. (She's 4'5". It's kinda cute, if pit bullish)

When I watch my older ENFPs-one woman and three men. When they get in meetings, they get a slightly slack jawed look, then the NeTeSi comes out. It isnt about feeling at all. They are bouncing ideas around, skipping steps but at the same time reflecting backwards, then bouncing forwards with new suggestions.

I feel weird as I can do this and it seems abnormal-yet I see it in the real world as well. (It is easy to think for me than feel. Feeling takes effort.)

Do other enfps feel this switch being thrown?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would the two of you mind elaborating?

Recently on a trip I was in a plane that got hit by lightning. In that instant the ISTJ next to me-he and many others started getting very anxious, talking, getting panicky. In my mind, I just stopped time for about 45 seconds and waited-perceiving. watch, watch, watch, observe the plane now verses before the lightening hit-did I see any changes in how it was behaving? But no emotion at all. Pure calm, cold observation. Empty of emotion. The ISTJ kept asking me questions. I ignored them, observing.
Thats interesting, i become completely calm and focused in an emergency too. My father woke up choking one night and could not catch his breath, my borther and fathers partner were running round panicking, he couldn't breath. I just stood there cool as a cucumber. I realised that he was panicking too and that his airways were not blocked so i calmley sat him down, got him to put his head between his knee's and breath slowley. I got the other two to fetch water and the phone just in case. I'm always calm in an emergency, it's odd because i am usually the person who finds it difficult to keep calm.

That is an extreme example but I routinely totally detach from emotion in analysis of problems. I asked my enfp coworker if she could do this. She said no, but also said to never back her into a corner or she would kill you. (She's 4'5". It's kinda cute, if pit bullish)

If i am actively involved in problem solving i can address it in many ways, i just choose-usually. For example if asked to anaylise something to do with work i will become anaylitical but in a social setting i don't think befor i speak etc.
and btw i'm petite too and would definately kill anyone who had me backed into a corner, it's one thing i hate, even just playing around. A few have tested this thinking it funny a "little" lady could be so hardcore....
they regretted it.

When I watch my older ENFPs-one woman and three men. When they get in meetings, they get a slightly slack jawed look, then the NeTeSi comes out. It isnt about feeling at all. They are bouncing ideas around, skipping steps but at the same time reflecting backwards, then bouncing forwards with new suggestions.

I feel weird as I can do this and it seems abnormal-yet I see it in the real world as well. (It is easy to think for me than feel. Feeling takes effort.)

Do other enfps feel this switch being thrown?

Oh i do brainstorming very well, i love bouncing ideas around, upside down left and right backwards and forwards. It definately suits me best. But i tend to adapt to my environment, different reactions in different situations. Maybe you f/t are close on percentages? I have wondered befor how i can come out so high on the f when i spend so much time reading intelligent books and researching off my own back. I guess it's to do with gut reaction or 1st reaction style. I do think a lot but i often go with my feeling which is usually combined with a bit of thinking too. :cheese:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'll post some observations here, too, as my I and S test toward the middle; the MBTI we took in a career development class a couple of years ago gave me ENFP.

I've got that same 'calm in an emergency' trait. I don't panic -- just observe and take action.

In a mixed discussion group I'm in, where people tend to jump in, I take notes (the only person out of about 15 who does) and often don't talk until maybe two thirds of the way through. One time after the meeting someone approached me and asked if I'm a teacher (no) because I have a "gift for synthesis."

Maybe you f/t are close on percentages? I have wondered befor how i can come out so high on the f when i spend so much time reading intelligent books and researching off my own back. I guess it's to do with gut reaction or 1st reaction style. I do think a lot but i often go with my feeling which is usually combined with a bit of thinking too. :cheese:

I test high F also (the last decade, anyway!), and have the same love of reading mentioned above, extending from armfuls of library books to science websites.

I don't how these traits relate to MBTI, but I thought I'd add to the voices saying you're certainly not alone.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I tend to lead my study groups

I get VERY Te when doing group work/studying, especially when I know whats going on

my Fi takes a back burner while my Te gets the work done