• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] procrastination

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a HUGE problem with this (probably because i'm an enfp)! The past two days I wrote two full papers in the morning because i've been literally unable to do them even the day before they were due. Yesterday I woke up at 5, picked a topic, and wrote a whole 8 page research paper in 4.5 hours.

The thing is, even though I CANNOT work on things before the last minute most times, when I actually sit down and do something at the last possible minute, they turn out pretty well (yeah communication skills!).

Tips, anyone? I'm sure some enfp has figured out how to combat this annoying habit

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sell your computer and buy a typewriter?

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not an ENFP

and I have the same problem, so any of my advice would probably be futile and I ought to be following it myself. [I mean with procrastination...]. Um, say no to plans which will clearly conflict with when you ought to be doing work and stay away from distractions? Lock yourself in a room...unplug your modem and hide it while working on papers so you're not tempted to chat online?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah man, then form an editing group. I'm not saying I follow my own advice because I need to, but how about some pressure, popcorn?

Gauche

Why do you think it's an annoying habit? You have just done your works, later or sooner, no matter. But if you are working on something really important, one thing is the motivation itself - I must do it in time because..., and the second thing which could help is to immediately stop doing all the crap, and just start doing the work without thinking. Then, as you said, you are pulled inside and accomplish it in one big burst.

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
i guess my real problem is that when i should be working, i'll absorb myself in doing ANYHTING else (like taking a personality test and finding this forum), OR is there're any people around, I kinda HAVE to be with them--even if they're not doing anything, even if they're all doing homework.

locking myself in my rom might work, but i'd just be thinking the whole time about how there are people haning out and I'm not with them and i guess i could put this off for another day becasue it's not like i'm actually doing work on it now so i'll just end up not enjoying myself AND not doing anything so i might as well at least have fun right now so i'll only have one day where i have to miss doing stuff instead of two.

Gauche

hmm, that seems like something i should try

You know, the hardest part is to start. With all the temptations what could you do instead, and that "well, I could still put it off on tomorrow" and then "well, I could still put it off on the evening", and then "well, I could still put it off on the morning" it's hard to start. But, if you just start doing it, you will become absorbed in topic, and you know, rolling train is harder to stop then, if you know what I mean.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Well...papers can seem overwhelming I guess. Especially those ones that are 8 pages or more. I suggest you try to do it a little bit at a time. I don't know what else to say but this.

Whenever I have a huge paper, and procrastination hits, I decide to split up the paper. Maybe do one page a day. Thats usually more than enough time to get the paper done. This almost seems silly to suggest to an ENFP but outlines help. ;)

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I think for me, it's an inability to think about the consequences or be affected by them at the moment I am procrastinating. What would happen if I can't finish my assignment? How much quality would I potentially have lost because I had so little time to do it? And I forget each time how much of a nuisance and anxiety it is to stay up late doing my assignment a the last minute, regretting that I didn't start it just a bit earlier. I too though, always find myself working at the last minute. It's almost like there's no other way I can work. I need the pressure to be finally right up against me for me to be 'motivated' to do it.

I think what helps if you want to actually try to work, is to find a specific environment that you can condition yourself to work in. When I'm in my bedroom I simply cannot work--it's a place of focussing on my hobbies and intersts--not school work. Might even feel like the entire house is not the right environment to work in. I have recently fell in love with the library and it's environment--it helps me work. Find that place, make yourself go to it, make sure you become accustomed to mostly working in that place, and soon enough it might just become habit to, and you can go there anytime and get work done.

And it's probably better to work in big chunks. If you're going to divide something up, divide it up into big pieces and try to do as much as you can in one sitting. Because if you give yourself many little breaks every few minutes, you're going to get distracted.

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
oh well come on!!! who would ever willingly write an outline!?!? if i was gonna plan out my thoughts i might as well just write the paper!! and when i write, i can't just write 'part' of the paper, i have to write the paper. its just all flows, and i just improvise it all like i'm monologuing

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
oh well come on!!! who would ever willingly write an outline!?!? if i was gonna plan out my thoughts i might as well just write the paper!! and when i write, i can't just write 'part' of the paper, i have to write the paper. its just all flows, and i just improvise it all like i'm monologuing

Welcome to a world with SJs. Enjoy your stay.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Me?:cry:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You're stuck with it. At least I know I am. The solution isn't to fight it. The trick is to do things that you like doing and forget about everything else.

I mean, how many fucking years do we need for getting a degree!!! I'm been studying since I was 5, enough already!!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I scramble to get my homework done sometimes, in homeroom, and during lunch..and I had to write a 7-9 page research paper and I didn't start it until 3 days ago..and it was due yesterday. I guess I always feel that I'll more up for things later..and it turns out, I find myself thinking the same thing over and over again. It's one of my traits that I really wish I didn't have :\

Cameigons

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
4w3
My problem with procrastination is not generalized, but it's extreme with things I don't feel like doing, especially when I know they will take most of my time of day, of the week, or of the semester.

I think for me, it's an inability to think about the consequences or be affected by them at the moment I am procrastinating. What would happen if I can't finish my assignment? How much quality would I potentially have lost because I had so little time to do it? And I forget each time how much of a nuisance and anxiety it is to stay up late doing my assignment a the last minute, regretting that I didn't start it just a bit earlier. I too though, always find myself working at the last minute. It's almost like there's no other way I can work. I need the pressure to be finally right up against me for me to be 'motivated' to do it.
Dude, history of my life.

Sometimes I think procrastination is some kind of spell casted upon me by my evil computer :D

Yes! In my case, if I'm set up to write a paper I like writing it out of order. Sometimes I have great lines in my mind, I know I can only place them further in the text, but I write them anyway. That's one of the many things I love about writing, unlike many quotidian tasks, I don't have to do it organizedly do to it greatly.

Last edited:

sade

Me, if I'm in the mood. Then I may work 6-8 hours happily without stopping on a paper/task/etc. But that doesn't happen often. I suppose at those times I'm fascinated and tuned into it..

Hmm. Usually I just need to kick the boredom a bit and clear my mind off of things, everything, so that I don't start doing something else. And on somedays I prefer to not even open the computer, to avoid the disaster. Just outline stuff on paper.
I was infamous in school for never doing my homework. But there was no need. :whistling:

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
i used to be pretty bad about that in highschool, but i've since figured out how to work a little bit better. those utterly bullshit assignments still get me though... thank god i can talk my way out of stuff!

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
i used to be pretty bad about that in highschool, but i've since figured out how to work a little bit better. those utterly bullshit assignments still get me though... thank god i can talk my way out of stuff!

please, can you tell me what is it that you "talk ur way out" ?
i need it, who knows, it might help me.
cuz right now i'm suffering such a HEAVY procrastination,..i've read many articles & books on it, try to keep a daily-schedule & ToDo,..but i often just failed again & again! arggh! :(
i'm even got 'diagnosed' as a severe Internet-addict (by asking many people i've known, online & offline) !
help!
goddamn procrastination... it's just especially the worst when all it does it delaying your reach to your goals/dreams, for already 4-5 years!! :(