• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] who're more manipulative? entp or infj

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
manipulating is something that happens in all facets of social life. so does influence, persuasion, coercion, trickery, deception, allying, bullshit, outright lying, etc.

not caring what is good for others, assuming you know everything and being totally FIXATED on particular judgments and/or goals, and not giving a shit about what others want/care about/feel makes you a fucking jack-ass. and however you go about being that person and acting that way, you're a jack-ass.

it's just a combination of n, s, t, f being used in ways that they need to be checked and balanced socially by other cross-functions, cross-purposes, etc. confidence can quickly become arrogance/ignorance.

redacted

I cant find the original quote from Evan above but on so many levels I find it horrific.

Now I have to apologize as that is my Fi gut response and I know it will sound offensive. I am watching the Fe mask/indirect approach fuck over my company right now. The indirectness is very destructive and the games are utterly useless and waste a lot of time and energy.

What I see is that in a Te, Fi heavy crowd, Fe gets made excluded pretty quickly. It is ineffective and people can "feel" the fact that it is not behaving authentically. Even my INTPs are somewhat wary of INFJs. We can see through it.

We can tell when the answer you give is hiding what you are really thinking-the answer is too "poised" and incomplete.

I don't really get what is even immoral about what I said in that post.

It was probably the wording.

P.S. I'm INTP now. (And was before.) I think.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This whole thread is horse shit.

Yup, PEOPLE are manipulative, not personality types. Everyone can be manipulative, but the types each have their own ways of doing it.

And I really, REALLY expected an INFJ to have started the thread, since they are usually insane enough to make these threads. But it was an ESTJ. >_>

I guess I can also infer that PEOPLE are insane, not personality types. And that everyone is insane in their own way. :D

G

Ginkgo

Yes, I get the irony of an INFJ pretending to be INFP for the purposes of manipulation/experimentation on others and then saying that INJs don't manipulate. You cruel, cruel bastard.

An INFJ wouldn't need to experiment. I don't know what you're talking about.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Huh, yet behind that, I think it can be more of an 'us' vs "them" thing than anything else. When a personality type becomes manipulative, more often than not it is intentional. And I can certainly be a master manipulator of the S variety when it comes to those kinds of intentions. In other words, if I am aware of intentional manipulation going on somewhere around the corner, the kind of underhanded persuasion which somebody might use in an attempt to make something seem necessary and I know it's not, I won't allow them to get away with it.

Yeah, I can be a bitch when it comes to intentional manipulation. And any other time as well.

EricHanson

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs will manipulate you. INFJs will too, but ENTPs expect INFJ with all their morals and personal understanding to know better. That's why it hurts so much too sometimes, because often, it makes you think that you aren't a good person that's why the INFJ manipulated you. With ENTPs, you just assume they are bad or misguided people.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just enjoyed the cheesiness of the OP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread needs a poll.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have an unhealthy and manipulative INFJ father. Let's just say that after seeing how he manipulated my mother and how things turned out with our family, I have a pretty negative reaction to manipulation of any kind and try to never use it myself. He thought he was helping people but I think he deluded himself and used that as an excuse for his actions. In my opinion his motivations were ultimately selfish and he probably did a lot more harm than good. Unfortunately I think he is still prone to do this even today, though we do not see each other or talk that often anymore. We're trying to rebuild bridges but when I can see right through him and the reasons behind his behaviour it can be a challenge. He never set out to hurt people, that's the hardest part and why I can never hate him, but in the end, hurt people he did.

I honestly believe that just as healthy INFJs can be a great help to those who need them, unhealthy INFJs can screw up unsuspecting people perhaps far more than any other type due to the subtle way they can play with the heart and mind, intentionally or otherwise.

I don't think I know any ENTPs in person, but I'm willing to bet that INFJs are more manipulative and better at it as a general rule.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe it'd be more appriopriate to phrase the opening question, "Who is better at manipulation? ENTPs or INFJs?"

I think everyone would agree that both types are manipulative. ENTPs have the cold calculating capability to zing someone into getting them to do what they want with a mere putdown, immediately getting their victim to give up their side of the arguement if they want to keep the relationship intact. The ENTP knows they'll do this and would never mean to trash the relationship in the first place. It's just part of the game of how they get what they want - they understand the limits of the relationship.

INFJs, on the other hand, are far less brash. They're like ninjas using their Ni to get the job done. In a sneak attack, they slip in, plant the subliminal message, and escape. INFJs (healthy ones) also would never manipulate to the point of risking the relationship either. They would, rather than strong arm the person quickly to get what they want when they want, be patient, and slowly change the person's mind (brainwash them).