• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and smilies

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I guess the way I see it is, T's cut out a piece of the conversation. Yes the swapping of ideas is very fun, and something we strive for as well, but there's so much more in that conversation to be experienced and learned than just the swapping of ideas. The atmosphere between the two people can tell you a) whether the person in front of you is just being polite and humoring you or actually truthful and even passionate about his views, b) how passionate and important it is to them, which can teach you something about the person in front of you and not only the argument at hand, and c) the groupdynamics and how to handle that particular group of people in the future. Plus, we just don't like disharmony. It feels cold and unnatural.

So, yes, in all of that, the argument can sometimes become lost, if those underlying issues start to become more interesting, but most of the time, we just take it all in, I'd say. Maybe to T's it isn't an important part of the conversation. To me, it's often the most intriguing part of the conversation, and I guess I would feel like I'm missing out if I were to have to cut that out of the conversation.

I take in and think about a) b) and c). Maybe not as much as NFs, but most Ts aren't close to being totally objective and only caring about sharing ideas.

Normally it would...somehow it feels fake though on you...try again :devil:

That's the thing, it'd be fake if I used a bunch of smilies. :shock: :headphne: <-- see?!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I take in and think about a) b) and c). Maybe not as much as NFs, but most Ts aren't close to being totally objective and only caring about sharing ideas.

That's the thing, it'd be fake if I used a bunch of smilies. :shock: :headphne: <-- see?!

Actually, that was better :D

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I guess the way I see it is, T's cut out a piece of the conversation. Yes the swapping of ideas is very fun, and something we strive for as well, but there's so much more in that conversation to be experienced and learned than just the swapping of ideas. The atmosphere between the two people can tell you a) whether the person in front of you is just being polite and humoring you or actually truthful and even passionate about his views, b) how passionate and important it is to them, which can teach you something about the person in front of you and not only the argument at hand, and c) the groupdynamics and how to handle that particular group of people in the future. Plus, we just don't like disharmony. It feels cold and unnatural.

So, yes, in all of that, the argument can sometimes become lost, if those underlying issues start to become more interesting, but most of the time, we just take it all in, I'd say. Maybe to T's it isn't an important part of the conversation. To me, it's often the most intriguing part of the conversation, and I guess I would feel like I'm missing out if I were to have to cut that out of the conversation.
+1

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kuranes, you're such a traitor! Don't you miss the days when you were a INTP?

Awww, it's not about loyalty! It's about understanding each other, remember?

Kuranes, you're a sweety for getting it :hug:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
^^ interesting...and i'll see if i can answer from my pov.

i think the majority of time...i try to understand first the motivation behind the point...where they are coming from...i think i need a clear picture of that before i can hear what they are saying...so i take it all in as one big picture then decipher the meaning through the details...and...you know what's funny...is i didn't even know that until i just typed it...haha...that's WEIRD!

I can't say I am supprised. For a long time I see this tendency in Fs but I am not sure why they do this. They are probably just build this way.

How hard is it for you(Fs) to take a pure T approach?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't say I am supprised. For a long time I see this tendency in Fs but I am not sure why they do this. They are probably just build this way.

How hard is it for you(Fs) to take a pure T approach?

How hard was it for you to learn and speak fluent English? And even now that you do, is it as easy as speaking your native tongue?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Awww, it's not about loyalty! It's about understanding each other, remember?

^that would have been a perfect time for you to break out in song. A song about togetherness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
How hard was it for you to learn and speak fluent English? And even now that you do, is it as easy as speaking your native tongue?

This is what I wanted to hear. You can only(more or less) speak F language.
I suck at that language but I wasn't sure about how is it when it comes to other way around.

So there is no way that you can talk to someone and be interested only in facts (or lies) that come out of their mouth?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know you're getting awfully rowdy in this thread... Is it just cuz we're in the NF Idyllic on your turf?

Mmm, hadn't even considered that...So no, that's not it ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suck at that language but I wasn't sure about how is it when it comes to other way around.

So there is no way that you can talk to someone and be interested only in facts (or lies) that come out of their mouth?

okay...that's not true at all for me. it depends on the situation...if i'm trying to learn something...purely factual...a job...a new skill of some kind...no...my feelings are not involved...but i think we involve our feelings more then you would...like on this site the motivation for me is different...i'm not just interested in taking in information...i'm interested in the human aspect...i want to know the processes behind the thoughts/ feelings...so i can't separate them here.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Why would I want to limit myself that way? :) But yes, those situations do exist. When I go to a lecture with 100 other people, I'm not there coz I'd like to know the professor's motives for teaching the class. Granted, I'll take his personality on board as it will tell me what he considers important and what he's like, enhancing my chances with the finals, but suppose there is no final? No, I won't care. The same goes for a situation where I only need to see the person once in a while for a business-thing. Put me in that situation for a long time however, and I will be bored, annoyed and feeling very uncomfortable.

It's not that I don't speak the language. But it is my second 'language', which means I have to consciously access it. I have to think about it. Adn I sometimes need a bit of time to analyze and translate what you're saying to me. Done for a long time, it can cause some massive head-aches and confusion. Given time to digest, it can prove worth it though :)

Edit: See Ajblaise, one smiley a paragraph ;)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
okay...that's not true at all for me. it depends on the situation...if i'm trying to learn something...purely factual...a job...a new skill of some kind...no...my feelings are not involved...but i think we involve our feelings more then you would...like on this site the motivation for me is different...i'm not just interested in taking in information...i'm interested in the human aspect...i want to know the processes behind the thoughts/ feelings...so i can't separate them here.

I was talking about face to face conversation.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was talking about face to face conversation.

not socially...no.
if i'm face to face with an instructor...and the goal is strictly to take in information then yes...but socially...just conversing with someone else...no...it's always a personal approach.

eta: i will say though...that at times i'm completely detached from my observations...i may take in personal information about someone...and not just the information they are sharing but...i don't have to be emotionally attached to it....if that makes sense.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It's not that I don't speak the language. But it is my second 'language', which means I have to consciously access it. I have to think about it. Adn I sometimes need a bit of time to analyze and translate what you're saying to me. Done for a long time, it can cause some massive head-aches and confusion. Given time to digest, it can prove worth it though

Of course you are, no one is 100% in things like this. When I am talking about things like this I am always talking about "clear tendency".

Do EF feel uncomfortablle talking to robots (very little body language and a lot of logic)?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course you are, no one is 100% in things like this. When I am talking about things like this I am always talking about "clear tendency".

Do EF feel uncomfortablle talking to robots (very little body language and a lot of logic)?

It depends. If it is an informal situation, or I know the person somewhat already, I turn it into a game. Objective? Get a reaction out of them, any reaction. In formal situations, boss-employee, social functions etc, it is incredibly stiffling and it makes me insecure as I feel out of place

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ agreed...i will say though that for me it certainly helps if you have some underlying passion about what you're discussing...i'm much more apt to actually pay attention.