• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and smilies

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
You know, the people who really need to learn how to use smilies are those NTs that have the cynical, dry kind of humor (I've seen this kind of humor really much with NTs). This is because I don't know them as well as I should to get that they are most likely joking. IRL I like that kinda humor but here it is sometimes impossible to tell if it is a joke or not. My insufficient English skills of course don't make it any easier.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You know, the people who really need to learn how to use smilies are those NTs that have the cynical, dry kind of humor (I've seen this kind of humor really much with NTs). This is because I don't know them as well as I should to get that they are most likely joking. IRL I like that kinda humor but here it is sometimes impossible to tell if it is a joke or not. My insufficient English skills of course don't make it any easier.

But if we used emoticons with our dry humor, it would cease to be dry humor!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, I know. It is a problem. But the current situation is intolerable... Something has to be done.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are some emoticons like :dry: that can be used ;)
It would just mirror the expression on your face as you state your 'dry humor', hence adding your bodylanguage to your post.

As for not having the right emoticons all the time, there's always the * thing, for instance, I loved Jacks *catholic priest mode*

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There are some emoticons like :dry: that can be used ;)
It would just mirror the expression on your face as you state your 'dry humor', hence adding your bodylanguage to your post.

Oh yeah, that's a real great idea :dry:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Smilies can kind of take the place of non-verbal cues in written communication, which is somethimes helpful.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
See? It works! :jew:

Oh I don't know, something just didn't feel right...

I think I'll stick to only using them occasionally. It gives them more weight that way.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, I guess you're right. For the same reason I hardly ever use this one :strawman:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh I don't know, something just didn't feel right...

I think I'll stick to only using them occasionally. It gives them more weight that way.

Oh feel free to risk people not getting your jokes and be offended coz you're lazy about your communication skills :D
It'll be a blast to watch :popc1:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh feel free to risk people not getting your jokes and be offended coz you're lazy about your communication skills :D
It'll be a blast to watch :popc1:

I'm an INTP, we don't come equipped with communication skills. So it won't be my fault, I just don't know any better!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an INTP, we don't come equipped with communication skills. So it won't be my fault, I just don't know any better!

Mmm, so that means I can go: I'm an ENFP, I don't come equipped with the standard issued type of logic. So it's not my fault your logic is illogical to me as I don't know any better!

Interesting....*ponders*

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Mmm, so that means I can go: I'm an ENFP, I don't come equipped with the standard issued type of logic. So it's not my fault your logic is illogical to me as I don't know any better!

Interesting....*ponders*

You don't have have to say that, it's obvious enough. ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't have have to say that, it's obvious enough. ;)

I've yet to see an INTP actually accomodate me and talk my own feeling language instead though or teach me their language for that matter :dry:

I know you're used to the NF's accomodating you guys, but I think I'll pass this time.

Therefore:

Communication skills 101:

a)In order to know which smiley to use, check face in mirror.

b)In order to use smiley, just click on said smiley.

c) Reread text, and add at least one smiley per paragraph

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There are some interesting replys here.

Well the thing is that as the T grows you are more and more generally unemotional.
So when Ts talk to each other they are not interested in what other person is feeling.
Unless topic is about feelings or entire thing will obviously have emotional impact.

But if it happens that two expressed Ts talk to each other they will take a freedom not to use feelings. They are interested in ideas and information, what the other person is feeling is totally unsignificant here(to them). Both sides made a pact about it but a treaty was never singed. Then a F comes in and ends up frustrated since those two are acting like jerks. While they were just talking on a T way.
If the topic is clearly in a T domain then Fs will understand, but if the topic is more ordinary F will have a good chance to miss the deal.

This is just how I see it.

Question for Fs

Are you in most cases interested in emotion behind some post(s)?

To me it looks that Fs can be quite interested in things like that. Even enough to miss quite large piece of an argument. It looks that it is more likely that this happens in a topic that is more T.
Is that because you have a hard time to understand post even if you are interested in it?
I am not talking about technical details I am talking about emotional detachment that is needed to grasp served argument.

This is actually what is the point behind this thread.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are some interesting replys here.

Well the thing is that as the T grows you are more and more generally unemotional.
So when Ts talk to each other they are not interested in what other person is feeling.
Unless topic is about feelings or entire thing will obviously have emotional impact.

But if it happens that two expressed Ts talk to each other they will take a freedom not to use feelings. They are interested in ideas and information, what the other person is feeling is totally unsignificant here(to them). Both sides made a pact about it but a treaty was never singed. Then a F comes in and ends up frustrated since those two are acting like jerks. While they were just talking on a T way.
If the topic is clearly in a T domain then Fs will understand, but if the topic is more ordinary F will have a good chance to miss the deal.

This is just how I see it.

Question for Fs

Are you in most cases interested in emotion behind some post(s)?

To me it looks that Fs can be quite interested in things like that. Even enough to miss quite large piece of an argument. It looks that it is more likely that this happens in a topic that is more T.
Is that because you have a hard time to understand post even if you are interested in it?
I am not talking about technical details I am talking about emotional detachment that is needed to grasp served argument.

This is actually what is the point behind this thread.

I guess the way I see it is, T's cut out a piece of the conversation. Yes the swapping of ideas is very fun, and something we strive for as well, but there's so much more in that conversation to be experienced and learned than just the swapping of ideas. The atmosphere between the two people can tell you a) whether the person in front of you is just being polite and humoring you or actually truthful and even passionate about his views, b) how passionate and important it is to them, which can teach you something about the person in front of you and not only the argument at hand, and c) the groupdynamics and how to handle that particular group of people in the future. Plus, we just don't like disharmony. It feels cold and unnatural.

So, yes, in all of that, the argument can sometimes become lost, if those underlying issues start to become more interesting, but most of the time, we just take it all in, I'd say. Maybe to T's it isn't an important part of the conversation. To me, it's often the most intriguing part of the conversation, and I guess I would feel like I'm missing out if I were to have to cut that out of the conversation.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've yet to see an INTP actually accomodate me and talk my own feeling language instead though or teach me their language for that matter :dry:

I know you're used to the NF's accomodating you guys, but I think I'll pass this time.

Therefore:

Communication skills 101:

a)In order to know which smiley to use, check face in mirror.

b)In order to use smiley, just click on said smiley.

c) Reread text, and add at least one smiley per paragraph

Okay I'll try... :mellow:

Hmm does that smilie really add anything?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As I suspected we (Ts and Fs) have a very different ideas about communication.
The other letters also play a part in this as well.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ interesting...and i'll see if i can answer from my pov.

i think the majority of time...i try to understand first the motivation behind the point...where they are coming from...i think i need a clear picture of that before i can hear what they are saying...so i take it all in as one big picture then decipher the meaning through the details...and...you know what's funny...is i didn't even know that until i just typed it...haha...that's WEIRD!