• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Teach me how to be a feeler.

T

ThatGirl

This is not a sarcastic thread. Today I tried. I told my friend that I was going to turn over a new leaf. She told me a little later that "its ok these things dont just happen over night." So I am asking, i know I cant change my type, but how do I soften the T?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the leaf that i see you needing to turn over is

" getting control over your Fe "
its running rampant and needs reigning in

T

ThatGirl

Ive decided that I dont like it or where I can see it is leading me. Adaptation is a strength. I need to adapt.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ive decided that I dont like it or where I can see it is leading me. Adaptation is a strength. I need to adapt.

ok
its all about chewing your words.
your Fe, which needs to beef up, is all about that
being polite and kind, even if you don't mean it.
its easing over problems to keep " harmony "

sorry if i came off harsh - its the Fi

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
You need to hang out in PinkPiranha's personal thread. Hanging around extraverted feelers is like a free class in F. :)

Getting an F in this class is a good thing. :D

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
You are describing an either undeveloped or an unhealthy feeler, Thursday. In which case your advice is inadvisable. I don't think anyone should ever act nice and not mean it. Lies lead to major misunderstandings. Eekers.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
You need to hang out in PinkPiranha's personal thread. Hanging around extraverted feelers is like a free class in F. :)

Getting an F in this class is a good thing. :D

HAHAH XD

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think anyone should ever act nice and not mean it. Lies lead to major misunderstandings. Eekers.
true
is it so wrong being nice no matter what?
sucking it up and being nice?
i didn't say kiss ass or be fake
i don't like a lot of people for that very reason
but, since i don't want conflict, i simply ignore them
when they say hi, i'll say hi...but nothing more
no added sugar, and certainly no " I hate you " salt

T

ThatGirl

Pinks funny.

But yeah, I don't understand being nice for the sake of being nice because I think I view things differently. If you go off treat others as you would have them treat you sort of thing then I think I do that. I just expect people to question things and be very blunt and clear.

What I need to learn to do is pull in the reigns a bit. i understand not everyone thinks like me, but when I try to get more feeler, its stiff and forced, and apparently awkward. Say for exapmle guy I talk to everyday walks up to me at work and says hello. I answered hows it going hows your day. He looked at me weird and walked away. Later when other friend told him about my new leaf, he yelled out, "Is that WTF was wrong with you earlier"

Now another aspect is the fact that I think more feeler people get taken advantage of all the time. I observe it a lot. So it doesnt make sense to embrase such a trait. It makes me really uncomfortable. Ultimatley reluctant. Then a little rebelious.

Its awkward and makes me want to run.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pinks funny.

But yeah, I don't understand being nice for the sake of being nice because I think I view things differently. If you go off treat others as you would have them treat you sort of thing then I think I do that. I just expect people to question things and be very blunt and clear.

What I need to learn to do is pull in the reigns a bit. i understand not everyone thinks like me, but when I try to get more feeler, its stiff and forced, and apparently awkward. Say for exapmle guy I talk to everyday walks up to me at work and says hello. I answered hows it going hows your day. He looked at me weird and walked away. Later when other friend told him about my new leaf, he yelled out, "Is that WTF was wrong with you earlier"

Now another aspect is the fact that I think more feeler people get taken advantage of all the time. I observe it a lot. So it doesnt make sense to embrase such a trait. It makes me really uncomfortable. Ultimatley reluctant. Then a little rebelious.

ok - mbti aside
look up compassion - not an F related thing, per se

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Pinks funny.

Ditto. It's awkward as shit and makes me cringe but I definitely need some lessons in FSL (Feeling as a Second Language) too.

But we need lessons from someone who can explain it in terms that Thinkers can understand because judging from what I've tried to learn, feelers can explain it over and over but I still won't understand because they don't even realize they're still speaking in Feeler language when they're explaining.

Thinkers don't just pick up the Feeler language by being around other feelers. We might see that they speak and act a bit differently, but we can't really start using it just cause we've been around them.

The Chase

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ditto. It's awkward as shit and makes me cringe but I definitely need some lessons in FSL (Feeling as a Second Language) too.

But we need lessons from someone who can explain it in terms that Thinkers can understand because judging from what I've tried to learn, feelers can explain it over and over but I still won't understand because they don't even realize they're still speaking in Feeler language when they're explaining.

Thinkers don't just pick up the Feeler language by being around other feelers. We might see that they speak and act a bit differently, but we can't really start using it just cause we've been around them.

Perhaps this will help:

em⋅pa⋅thy   /ˈɛmpəθi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [em-puh-thee]

–noun

1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
2. the imaginative ascribing to an object, as a natural object or work of art, feelings or attitudes present in oneself: By means of empathy, a great painting becomes a mirror of the self.

If you ask a person how their day is because you think it's the socially appropriate thing to do, it won't work. I think it's something like only 10% of communication is verbal. Subtle clues such as body language, tone of voice, etc. make up the majority of communication. These are exceedingly difficult to fake.

Try imagining things from someone else's perspective instead of looking at it solely through your own.

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Perhaps this will help:

em⋅pa⋅thy   /ˈɛmpəθi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [em-puh-thee]

–noun

1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
2. the imaginative ascribing to an object, as a natural object or work of art, feelings or attitudes present in oneself: By means of empathy, a great painting becomes a mirror of the self.

If you ask a person how their day is because you think it's the socially appropriate thing to do, it won't work. I think it's something like only 10% of communication is verbal. Subtle clues such as body language, tone of voice, etc. make up the majority of communication. These are exceedingly difficult to fake.

Try imagining things from someone else's perspective instead of looking at it solely through your own.

Anyone with a remote amount of feelings can empathize. I'm an excellent empathizer but that doesn't mean I know how to talk to a feeler the right way.

G

Glycerine

Well, you can still be straight-forward and polite at the same time. For example, if someone is bothering you. You could say, "I would much rather be alone right now so can you please let me have some time by myself?" as opposed to "get away from me" So I guess to develop feeling, diplomacy is probably your best bet. Also if you have something negative to say, you can combine it with something positive. Like "you're usually very nice to be around but you're frustrating me right now".

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For example, if someone is bothering you. You could say, "I would much rather be alone right now so can please let me have some time by myself" as opposed to "get away from me"

Dayum. That was kind of hilarious.

G

Glycerine

ok
its all about chewing your words.
your Fe, which needs to beef up, is all about that
being polite and kind, even if you don't mean it.
its easing over problems to keep " harmony "

sorry if i came off harsh - its the Fi

That's not the greatest definition of Fe and that definitely sounds more like an unhealthy Fe more than anything. I try to show respect to people that I don't care for but I don't go out of my way for them.