• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I'll reply, but keep in mind that I'm very close to the border on everything but P.

If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

It depends. I generally prefer to be the authority if possible; if not, though, I'll follow what the leader says as long as I think it's a good idea. If I think the idea sucks, I'll speak up and say something; if they don't change their minds, then they probably won't get too much support from me in carrying it out. If I don't like the leader as a person, then I'll question them at every turn. If they're blocking something I really want, I will go over them, under them, around them, or through them but in the end they're not going to stand in my way.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?

By not doing whatever it is they want me to do, and telling them politely that I can't do it. It's probably a passive-aggressive approach, but I find it hard to call people out on something that subtle.
Oh, come to think of it, someone actually did this today - at least that's how I interpreted it. When we have group meetings, she constantly tries to tell everyone what to do. I generally cut her off and tell her it's taken care of or else I tell her that her idea won't work.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

Fairly emotionally reactive, in public as well as with people I know. Generally takes the form of either being really enthusiastic or really frustrated over something. Sometimes I get too noisy about it. I rarely hide my feelings, though, unless it's sadness.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?

Hmm, probably. I need to feel loved and taken care of or I won't get into the relationship. I need to feel really special. That sounds egotistical! But it does work for some guys.

Are you really sarcastic?

Yes, and I love it.

Are you silly?

Yes, and I love that too.

Were you shy as a child?

I seem to remember being shy, but I was also really loud and goofy around people I knew.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?

They do, unfortunately. I've been working on that and if you think I'm aloof now, it's probably because I actually don't want to talk to you. Unfortunately, those people are the ones who don't get the hint.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?

No, it flows pretty well. I used to second-guess myself and get nervous, but now I just speak my thoughts and they come out clearly.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?

No, I have generally felt more mature than others my age. Or maybe not more mature - but "different."

Are you a talented writer?

I've been told so. Not talented enough to make a living at it, in my opinion, unfortunately.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?

Something adventurous where I can make money and save the world. Those are my three requirements for an awesome career.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?
Tends to be a bit of both, questioning and submissive.

If your referring to personal attacks too then I adopt diplomatically logical sequence of speaking to point out, with examples and analogies, why this kind of talk is projection.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?
Emotionally subdued more often, suppose knowing a harsh personality that drowns your voice can do that. The sort of personality that wears you down because they are larger than you.

I am low maintenance for the most part to the point of being invisible as a defensive reaction. Hence to answer this is a pending unknown.

I can be sometimes, dry sense of speaking.

Are you silly?
Gosh its been ages since I really let loose like that, in essence I am mischievous and had to learn to be serious minded but the silliness is there waiting to jump out and be larger than life.

Were you shy as a child?
And still am, they tell you this is something you outgrow; well whoever they are they lie.

Certainly can be mistaken though often its interpreted as shyness.

Do melons grow on trees, do avocados grow underground, do pears fly like pigs. Yes, yes and unfortunately yes.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
Entirely out of the question in which to say not at all, too complicated.

What, am I a talented fruit fly with a complex network of flybees making wicked elixir broths for the tainted. Hell no, actually I could barely get 50% for my English writing though I did excel in creative writing. Which tells me I hated critical debate essays and enjoyed exploring my creativity, I certainly doubt it applies.

Still undecided which is a bit of a concern nowdays.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If you are not an INFP:Do they ever talk too much or too little?

Some are extremely quiet and moreso seem shy. So more too little than too much.

Do they seem stuck up?
No, the opposite, they seem shy and usually humble.

Do they seem aloof or just quiet and reserved?
Aloof is an interesting word, it implies a conscious distance or disinterest which I don't think is the word. Shy and is more apt.

Do you think they come off as emotionally unstable?

HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. Ask this of someone who does *not* have a bad dating past with INFPs.

In general, how would you profile a male INFP?

Not sure, all the INFPs that I've confirmed are female.

In general, how would you profile a female INFP?

Quiet, lives deeply inside, artistic, dreamy, non-confrontational, thoughtful, sensitive, have many hidden aspirations for themselves - like a pinata you have to break that "aloof" outer shell to get to the good stuff. :laugh: Or you know, just get to know them better.

What do you think of INFPs as coworkers, subordinates, or authority figures?

If flexing ESTJ shadow can be very business like and good at keeping things on track. Otherwise, can be very spacey. I have known of 2 INFPs who have worked in the legal field or a legal office -- they really had to flex to not drop the ball.

How do you view INFPs in romantic relationships?

HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. Refer to 'emotional' question above. Apparently I have hit the motherlode of INFP 'bad apples' so my experiences are very negatively skewed.

I will say if they haven't learned clear communication and boundaries, get ready for a swirling vortex of Fi mess. A hot, hot, swirling mess. It will be up to you to extricate yourself.

For better or worse, even the unhealthy INFPs will put a lot of themselves and their egos and self-image into their relationships.

So again, make sure they are emotionally mature and honest and create healthy boundaries or else get ready for a bloody emotional mess that drags on. This is especially true if you are also Fi strong. When two Fi's get entangled, omg, good luck.

Patriot

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you are an INFP:

That depends very much on my mood. Generally speaking though, if I "question authority", it's more in a roll-my-eyes-and-laugh-to-myself kind of way. I'd probably say I'm pretty submissive if I actually used that word, which I don't. :D

I laugh, and even though I might feel a little hurt, I probably won't show it. If they're being really nasty, though, I'll probably just tell them to shut up.

Yeah, I'd say I'm emotionally reactive. But only around those that I'm absolutely comfortable with. I know I can be "emotionally intense" at times, and this is when I need to take some time out by myself so I don't drive my peeps insane.

I've never been in a relationship, and the relationship I'm in right now is not a relationship. Even though I wish it was.
A few months ago, the answer would have been yes. All I'm saying is, for me, needing a lot of attention in a relationship would mean that I'm also dealing with a lot of insecurities, and....I'm working on that area. Get back to me. lol

Never!

Are you silly?
Uh... Yes. I can be.

Were you shy as a child?
Yesh.

I don't know? I'm reserved, yes, but if someone comes up to me and starts talking, I think that I probably come across as being warm and friendly. I try to make an effort to be warm and friendly, anyway...

That is one of my biggest challenges. :doh:

Never gave this much thought, but I've always felt like an exception to the general population. Maybe that's part of being INFP; maybe that's just me.

No, but I like to write and I'm not an "untalented" writer. Expressing myself on paper is so much easier than doing it verbally. I have in the past written letters to people saying all the things I ever wanted to say to them but could never find the right words to speak them verbally. I love writing poetry, and when I come up with a piece that really says what I feel, it's amazingly satisfying. Also, picking up random books at a bookstore and just drinking in words....Ah. It's like a good cup of tea, only better.

I've had all sorts of ideas, really! I just have far too many interests.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you are an INFP:

When I was a young child I didn't question them, as I got older I lost all respect for my mother (dysfunctional). I'm not sure how much this affected my opinions of other types of authority, but as a teenager I didn't think much of them. Now? Well, I don't like authority and would certainly say it is my general practice to question it. :2ar15:

I really hate this. My response depends on the person and the situation though. If it's someone I know quite well, I'm likely to make some sarcastic remark (this really only happens with my sister, no one else I know well talks down to me). If it's a more distant relation or someone that I know at an acquaintance level then I'm probably most likely to leave or stop talking to them. I'm most likely to be confrontational if someone is talking down to someone else.

Very much so internally, but I hardly ever show it. Even my husband doesn't see much of it. I have a really, really, hard time showing people my emotions - nothing makes me feel more vulnerable. The easiest way for me to express them to other people is through my writing. Which is probably why I don't show many people my writing.

Hmm I don't think so... mostly what I need in a relationship is talking about interesting things, sharing ideas and stuff. But I'm pretty cruisy in general :)

Is water really wet? I don't know who I'd be without sarcasm. Oh wait, yes I do... I'd be boring!

Are you silly?

Depends who I'm around. My normal mode has more than a fair amount of silliness, and if I'm around any EPs that gets quadrupled times a million. With ENPs Ne goes into overdrive and we bounce off each other, ESPs (ok, only going by ESFPs here) I feel free to be as silly as my silliest impulses because even then I still can't be as silly as they are :wubbie: (and they seem to like wild Ne stuff, even if they get lost they still have heaps of fun)

Around SJs I'm serious.... kinda hate it, but can't seem to help myself. I'm around SJs 24/7 right now, really starting to wear on me. This is something I've been trying to work on/understand lately

Were you shy as a child?

My parents always told me that I was shy, but I don't know if I actually was, if that makes sense. If there was something I had an opinion on or had thought about something that I heard people discussing, I would tell people what I thought. I was interested. But I got rebuffed so many times that I started keeping my thoughts to myself. Whenever I went somewhere new, I always seemed to make a friend within a short amount of time.

I wasn't ever afraid to talk to people, if that's what you mean by shyness.

I've had a few people say that I was snobby, which certainly was not the case. That was quite a shock and actually really hurt. It's one of the things that I feel quite strongly about, not snobbery per say, but more the close mindedness that is associated with it, so being accused of it was quite devastating.

No, verbal expression has always been easy for me. Honest and dishonest expression; thanks to it I was able to get away with all sorts of things in childhood. :D

I never really thought of myself in that way. As a child I did tend to gravitate towards adult conversations, and I had a lot of friends who were substantially older than me, but my best friend was my age.

hehe what a barbed question. I love to write, but too often it seems to degenerate into snarky comments directed at myself, completely pathetic writing and what sort of arrogant asshole would say things like that anyway? :huh:
So please, don't ask me to judge my own writing.

A writer! lol
Yes, I'm hopeless.

Apparently I'm supposed to be grown up already..? And I am a web developer. But I don't like it.

EDIT: Forgot to say that regarding the sarcasm question, I am extremely conscious of other people's feelings and am *very* careful never to cross the line into anything remotely hurtful. I can't stand that sort of building yourself up and the other person's expense.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got my INTP husband to answer the non-INFP questions, here's what he said:

If you are not an INFP:

Do they ever talk too much or too little?
Mostly enough, sometimes too much.

Do they seem stuck up?
No. Completely the opposite - only someone completely ignorant would think this, probably because of their reserved nature (as below).

Quiet and reserved.

No, not at all.

N/A.

I would view INFPs in a very general sense as caring and compassionate individuals, always willing to view things from someone else's perspective. Motive is important to them, as well as their sense of morality. They are seldom, if ever dismissive with people's thoughts.

I believe they are companions in a very true sense. Enthusiastic and motivating. Genuinely caring and selfless.

They are witty and intelligent, with just the right amount (and that's a large amount) of sarcasm and irony. Deep and abstract.

They are highly sensitive to their own thoughts and feelings as well as other's. They are sensitive to how other people feel about them and are always conscious of that.

The flipside? They make the rest of us look like uncaring assholes, damn them.

I would actually view their biggest weakness is doubt in themselves, doubt in their worth and doubt of their abilities. While this is an affliction most of us have to bear, I believe it's particulary difficult due to their sensitivity on the whole.

As with any profile, INFPs have their own strengths and weaknesses. All of the positive things mentioned above are great traits to have in a coworker, subordinate or authority figure.
Unfortunately these genuinely positive aspects of an INFP have a potential downside. For example, some coworkers and authority figures would most likely take the understanding nature of an INFP for granted, while the INFP may find it difficult to properly rebuke or chastise a subordinate when they themselves were in the role of authority figure. Due to their desire for harmony, I also imagine that a hostile workplace/family/etc would be very taxing to an INFP.

Very well. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I got my INTP husband to answer the non-INFP questions, here's what he said:

If you are not an INFP:

Mostly enough, sometimes too much.

Do they seem stuck up?
No. Completely the opposite - only someone completely ignorant would think this, probably because of their reserved nature (as below).

Quiet and reserved.

No, not at all.

N/A.

I would view INFPs in a very general sense as caring and compassionate individuals, always willing to view things from someone else's perspective. Motive is important to them, as well as their sense of morality. They are seldom, if ever dismissive with people's thoughts.

I believe they are companions in a very true sense. Enthusiastic and motivating. Genuinely caring and selfless.

They are witty and intelligent, with just the right amount (and that's a large amount) of sarcasm and irony. Deep and abstract.

They are highly sensitive to their own thoughts and feelings as well as other's. They are sensitive to how other people feel about them and are always conscious of that.

The flipside? They make the rest of us look like uncaring assholes, damn them.

I would actually view their biggest weakness is doubt in themselves, doubt in their worth and doubt of their abilities. While this is an affliction most of us have to bear, I believe it's particulary difficult due to their sensitivity on the whole.

As with any profile, INFPs have their own strengths and weaknesses. All of the positive things mentioned above are great traits to have in a coworker, subordinate or authority figure.
Unfortunately these genuinely positive aspects of an INFP have a potential downside. For example, some coworkers and authority figures would most likely take the understanding nature of an INFP for granted, while the INFP may find it difficult to properly rebuke or chastise a subordinate when they themselves were in the role of authority figure. Due to their desire for harmony, I also imagine that a hostile workplace/family/etc would be very taxing to an INFP.

Very well. :)
Awww, what a sweet understanding husband you have :wubbie:

:jealous:

nutella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you are an INFP:

i am neither. i do not question authority in any sort of suspicious way, nor do i take issue with someone being "over" me. i'm also not blindly obedient, whatsoever. i constantly observe and evaluate those in leadership over me, respect their position, and act in accordance to it so long as i feel or perceive the relationship to be healthy. i don't feel scared to approach an authority figure with concerns if a certain line is crossed, but i do falter at basic things, like schedule conflicts and the like. i HATE HATE HATE telling my supervisor that one of my shifts conflict with something and will need something changed. however, i speak with great ease concerning a highly unprofessional former manager that i had taken issue with. in the past, i have also quit two jobs on the basis of a disagreement that could not be adequately resolved. i've recently discovered, though, that this is common in my "type". :(

if it is a fleeting situation, meaning i will not have future or prolonged contact with that person, i can tune it out. example: the lady in the ticket booth condescending to me concerning my bent metrocard. there were about 10 ways to kindly handle that situation and she hit none of them. i brushed it off, seeing as though i'd probably never run into her again and will have no extended relationship with her. if it is a situation involving someone i will have regular contact with, i will ride it out for a bit and if it continues, eventually say something. people who cannot understand or perform basic human contact, aka: the things you learned in kindergarten, really get my goat. i have very low tolerance for condescension and ridicule.

depends on the emotion, but i've always been told, for better or worse, that i'm one of the most expressive, emotive people around. blah! good emotions erupt pretty freely, despite my best efforts or the company i am in. i go off like an expression geyser when touched or excited or engaged in something. negative reactions tend to stay very far down deep inside of me until i'm alone and then i release them. even in comfortable company, my negative emotional reactions don't rear their ugly heads. don't wanna share the negativity!

not in the superficial sense. i need a lot of connection-assurance, to know i'm not the only person feeling this or that, to know that i'm not the only one finding inner fulfillment, that i'm not the only one putting myself out there. relationships are risks for me, because i usually become highly invested, so i'd like to be met with equal investment. i don't want pampering, doting, or sweet nothings. that makes me want to puke. also, don't open the door for me and think you've "done it". i'm not that one dimensional.

oh, dear god, yes.

Are you silly?

often.

Were you shy as a child?

no. i was like a water hose that was turned on too high and you lost grip of. i flailed around awkwardly, spraying out a bunch of silly nonsense, and was difficult to control. things changed around puberty. that all zapped up pretty quickly and i became extremely introverted. i often wonder if this was a maturity thing, or a reaction to the environment i was in at the time. nature vs nurture.

not necessarily aloof, but a lot of people have considered that i was "out of reach" or "uninterested". it always makes me feel bad because i just think, if you knew what i was really thinking...! so many people have said to me, "you seem like you don't need people..." and i don't. i WANT people, but i like to have control over the when, where, and who of it. i don't want to NEED anyone. i want to want people, simply because of the connection and exchange. it's wonderful!

yes, painfully. i usually stumble around nervously, attempt to cover my mouth, pull at my clothing, and say a bunch of fragmented thoughts that have a hard time sticking together when put on the spot. if i'm just having a conversation, things will flow pretty naturally, where i can sort of relax, but if i am having to express myself verbally in any sort of business or social setting that is more formal, i flounder. i am much more comfortable writing things down. i once asked a job interviewer if i could finish the interview through email. i didn't get the job. obviously.

no. i've always felt older. only recently have i felt "just right" amongst peers.

i have been told as much. i don't want to say, oh, yes, because i'd sound like a giant donkey (sorry to those who answered "yes". i don't think you're a donkey. this is just my personal opinion). i was an english literature/ theater performance major in college, so i always had a thing for writing / art / etc.

i don't find myself career-minded. i'd just like something where i make a difference in people's lives, can be creative, and connect with all sorts of ideas and thoughts and people of common interest. i would hope to achieve something in theater or writing or film, but we'll see!

EmilyINFP

MBTI Type
INFP
If you are an INFP:

I definitely question authority, especially when I consider it unearned. Often I keep those feelings to myself though (although it comes out publicly more than it should, probably.) When I think the person really deserves the position because of their experience/skills/etc, though, then I generally have no problem with it.

Hate hate hate hate.

Oh, goodness, yes. I react strongly emotionally no matter where I am, I can't help it. I definitely try to keep it less visible in public, though.

Not as far as time-- I like to have lots of time to myself-- but I do need to be reminded often how much my partner cares about me.

I'd say somewhat sarcastic but not really sarcastic.

Are you silly?

Yes, very much with those I'm close to, although I'm often too shy to let it out around people who aren't my friends.

Were you shy as a child?

Not at all as a small child, but by my early teens I became very shy and scared of rejection.

I wish I knew!

Yes, especially when I'm put on the spot, although when I can take the time to write it out in e-mails or letters I can express myself very well.

Hmm, I don't know.

I love to write and I think I'm pretty good at it, yeah.

I want to help change the world and make it a better place.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm...kinda hostile? Haha. What I mean is, I expect someone to respect me before I respect them. Which doesn't always go over well...

Not well. It's one of my major pet peeves.

Argh, I want to say just people I'm comfortable with, but I've been provoked in public to tears before. Not one of my finer moments. But yeah, my emotions can go haywire when buttons are pushed. (Not usually anger, though.)

Yes and no. I want to be noticed and treated special, but if I don't get my alone time, I'll explode.

Used to be. Seem to have lost the art as of late.

Are you silly?
All the time! But only people closest to me know. ;)

Were you shy as a child?
Nah, I was bossy and freewilled and obnoxious. When I hit puberty, though, yeah.

I've gotten that before. Apparently being quiet makes you a "snob."

I'm good with writing words, but aloud, I can sound a wee bit stilted. Like, I'll go back and resay something or correct myself.

Mm, some peers, yes. Others? They make me want to slam my head against the wall and scream, "Are you all babies?!" But I've gotten that vibe of feeling younger than everyone in a group before. Ack, I'm failing at this question...

I've been told so by numerous people: some who are being nice, and others who have no reason to be nice.

Novelist! Ah, it'll be tough, but a girl can dream, right? (That and an editor. It'd be amazing.)

yayaoikusama

If you are an INFP:

i'm pretty lucky that i went to a great art high school that taught me confidence and self worth, but it also sort of spoiled me. i was crazy loon in college. kidding. definitely butted heads with some teachers in college.

i draw them into a overly analytical conversation trying to find out why they said it. they give up because of exhaustion. but by the end there's usually no bad blood.

yes. i think i'm pretty reserved around most people.

yes. my partner needs to be a good listener and a good conversationalist.

i can be. people say i'm impressionable. i have a tendency to mirror people which i don't think is the same thing as being inauthentic. so yes, if i'm hanging out with my bitchy gay friend i'm probably more sarcastic.

Are you silly?
really silly and only when i'm comfortable. my personality/mood is usually reflected in my clothing... sometimes its all black (usually) it's my game face or if i'm feeling festive i'll wear something absurd like a skirt arranged as a top.

Were you shy as a child?
i was silly and extroverted when i was really young. i became quieter as i grew older.

yeah.

not really. although i have a tendency to speak in tangents. my friend says i talk like someone playing jazz.

teenage years were difficult because girls were gossipy and cruel. now it's more evened out.

i used to write a lot and i think i was pretty good. if i wrote a book now it would have to be simple like a children's book.

i'm already grown up, unfortunately. something that suits my talents and my interests and hopefully is stable.

Ouroboros

MBTI Type
INFP

I usually go along with what they say, unless it is really stupid or pointless to do so. As a kid, my disobeying or questioning an adult was very rare. I've noticed that I now have a tendency to mock whoever the authority figure is in my life—excepting my parents—when I'm with friends. High school principal, college administration, presidents, whoever. I don't make them out to be stupid, but I enjoy making up ridiculous conspiracy theories about them. My teachers used to like me, though, because I was never bothersome in class, and I actually liked learning.

I usually try to ignore it since it happens at my job, and I work in retail. Sometimes, I don't think before I speak, and I say something snarky. I'll condescend right back. Yeah, it's not pretty.

Sometimes. Usually, I'm not in emotional in public, but once in a while the planets align just so, and I end up crying. It's embarrassing. It has more to do with my lack of life experience and the ability to cope than anything else, but it's annoying. I don't like showing that part of myself to anyone, even people close to me.

In concentrated doses, I guess. I like for someone to pay attention to me, but not for long periods of time. Maybe 5-30 minutes a day from people close to me.

Sometimes.

Are you silly?

I'm never silly unless I'm underwater between 3pm and 6pm EST. Ask any crustacean.

Were you shy as a child?

Hm, I think I was less shy back then, just really oblivious when it came to communicating with other kids.

In person, I'm a little bit of both—reserved in the sense that I don't share my own feelings and thoughts with strangers and aloof in the sense that I rarely want to hear about what strangers feel and think. I'm not rude about it, but I don't imagine it would go over very well if someone got that impression of me. Anyway, I usually avoid looking at people, so...I miss out on their reactions to my not looking at them. :whistling:

Ugh, yes! I feel like the path from my brain to my mouth takes a far more circuitous route than the path from my brain to my hands. I can write much more easily than I can speak and with more clarity.

I used to feel like I was much more mature. I had a better grasp of things, and I didn't do stupid, dangerous things for fun. Now, I think I'm less mature because I'm not independent or emotionally mature.

I don't know. My spelling and grammar skills aren't terrible, but that isn't real talent. I'd have to get an independent opinion—preferably a review from the New York Times.

Writer/musician on the side.

These posts are so very long!

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
The most common type among my friends is INFP, so in my experience...

I feel like they always have something more to say, but they won't even if I push for it.

Do they seem stuck up?
Nah, more the opposite.

reserved, but not necessarily quiet.

Without a doubt!

Don't know any irl :doh:

The one's I know vary from extremely negative and pessimistic to always smiling and the most optimistic. They're on the extreme of the range my friends go. They don't usually make it easy to see, but they are volatile balls of emotion. When in a good mood however, they can be some of the nicest people I know.

All the ones I know are friends, and as friends they are very informative. I feel like they think the same way I do, but concentrated more on people and how they are involved on the bigger picture. I had a conversation about the "perfect society" with one, and she brought up a lot of good points about how individuals might feel about specific situations that I had not considered. Also, I feel closer to INFPs than any other type I have come into contact with including other INTPs.

Hmm.. I don't think I could handle a relationship with an INFP. All the INFPs I know have this in common: They want their bf to know exactly how they are feeling without having to say anything. Sometimes this makes them angry, and they let it grow until they become bitter. They expect perfection from their relationship, whether they want to fix their partner or expect them to act correctly. I prefer a relationship with everything out on the floor so it can be organized into the best situation possible, and playing detective can get annoying if I have to do it all the time.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is ancient, and probably doesn't need any more INFP responses, but whatever...

If you are an INFP: Why yes, I am!

I often question, unless I have long resolved to trust that authority, in which case I question them respectfully or I question to myself, and I will provide some answer to satisfy myself. I have a strong distaste for police, military and government. I balk at arbitrary rules, but I value and adhere to important principles.

I am submissive if defying is not worth the effort. I will obey, but seethe a bit. I may slowly start to break any rules I see as pointless; whatever I can get away with. I will avoid or get out of a situation where I don't like the authority ASAP.

I get upset. I may tell them not to talk to me like a child or talk down to them in return. What they are saying may be useful, but I will toss it all out the window at first because their perspective is no longer valid to me. However, I tend to reflect a lot, and upon further reflection I may glean something useful from what they said. Even as a child I responded best when people talked to me on their level.

I can be very emotionally reactive or I can withdraw. In a public setting where I am not comfortable my emotions may be stifled until I am alone or around someone I trust. If I am very stressed or upset, I can get snappy, defensive, or weepy around anyone.

I do tend to blow up & freak out from a seemingly docile state. My grandma introduces me to people as "the temperamental one". I'm Latin, and so lots of hand-waving ensues when I am upset. My whole body and face is thrown into it. If it's bad, I will do this in public, and yes, it creates a scene.

No. I need a lot of space, and attention that is thoughtful and meaningful.
I like a LOT of alone time, but I don't like to be ignored either. In a romantic situation I do want to be two little peas in a pod, but with lots of breathing room for both of us.

I can be. My sister used to call me "Daria". People often describe my sense of humor as "sardonic". I can also be very dry and like to say ridiculous things in jest, but people don't know I am kidding and then I feel stupid!

Are you silly?
My sarcasm can be silly & goofy actually. I'm not silly in a clownish way, but I am whimsical at times, and that can seem kind of dorky to some people.

Were you shy as a child?
Very, very shy. I still am. It improves a little with age. I don't correlate shyness with introversion though. I can see how an introvert is more prone to shyness, but I think shyness is an anxiety disorder.

YES! It's been a reoccurring problem in my life. I have been accused of being unfriendly, snobby and rude, when I am just feeling timid and awkward.

Yes. I can express myself in writing much better, because I can organize my thoughts and find the perfect word. In speaking, the perfect word may allude me and I will get stuck trying to find it. I imagine my train of thought may be hard for others to follow. I also think in picture a lot, and translating that to words while speaking is difficult. Again, in writing I have time to analyze my own thoughts and make sense of them.

No, I always feel alienated from all people, especially my peers.
When I was younger I felt older at times because I was somewhat "wise" for a child and very responsible. As I get older, I feel younger than my peers because I am a bit naive and inexperienced in some areas. However, I still get told I am wise for my age.

I can write pretty well. I write some amateur poetry and people seem to like it. I also write on my job, and it's been published without any negative criticism from people.

I first wanted to be a hairdresser, because my aunt was one and I thought she was really cool in this mysterious young aunt way. I then wanted to be a cartoonist, then an architect, and then a fashion designer. I settled on graphic design.

I've always secretly wanted to be a musician in a band too, and sing, play, and write my own songs (who doesn't dream of that? :p).

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
I wanna do it for fun. :p

Hmm, that's a tough question. To be completely honest, I'm very much the type of person who will seem completely submissive and respectful in front of the intimidating authority figure, but secretly and passionately dislike and/or disagree with them behind their back.

I put up a strong, resilient front but then go into my bedroom and cry my pathetic little heart out.

I am, but most certainly not in public and only with a few select people. It's very hard for me to physically show those extremely reactive emotions.

I need more then I think I do.

Yes, very. It's the only why I can be humorous - dry, witty and sarcastic.

Are you silly?
Ooh, yes. I can be very goofy and "blond" when I'm with those I love.

Were you shy as a child?
Not really. I was very social, but also very awkward and quirky.

Yes, and they also mistake it as being snobby or prude. Which is completely not me.

Mhm, a very hard time. I am known, in the family, as being the one who communicates best through letters and writings.

Yes. I often forget age.

I wouldn't say talented, but I certainly do enjoy it.

Psh, you're asking ME to pick!? I am so indecisive and annoyingly spontaneous that I cannot just choose ONE career. I wanna do everything.
*sigh*

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are an INFP:

I seem to either worship an authority figure, or completely disregard them. If it's the latter, I'm not outwardly rebellious, but totally passive aggressive.​

I usually ignore them and bitch about it to one of my friends later.​

Around people I trust. People who don't know me well think I don't even have any emotions.​

I've never been in one, but I doubt it. I would probably like more space.

As far as friends go...well...I get embarrassed if I get too much attention or praise. I'd rather just be left in the background.​

Yep. People misunderstand my sarcasm a lot and take it seriously. So many awkward moments in my life...​

Are you silly?
Extremely, but only around people I know well, and if I'm in a happy, energetic mood.​

Were you shy as a child?
Until I was 8 or so, I was super outgoing. Then I retreated into my shell until...now? I'm still working on it, I guess.​

I don't think so. Most people tell me I'm a kind and caring person.​

Me: Did that make sense?

Other person: Uh, no.

This happens 1987323875 times every day.​

I've always felt I've been more mature than my peers, but that's probably my Fi lying to me. Socially, I'm behind.​

Well, I wrote some pretty good limericks in the 4th grade. :D But no, actually, I'm a terrible writer, and I'm not trying to be modest.​

I don't knoooooooooooooow. Stop asking meeeeeeeeeeeeee!​

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you are an INFP:

When I was younger I took my parents as gods and every other authority was subject to them. Now an authority will be accepted until they do something to prove they don't deserve my submission.

I usually stare at them in complete disbelief. Like this: :shock: And then I'll tend to nod and mumble something and dismiss myself when I can. Or, if they've pissed me off I tell them they're wrong.

Yes, I think I'm pretty emotionally reactive. I'm very emotive (I don't really *have* a poker face). But, I don't "loose it" in public or, usually, even with those I'm comfortable with. I'm uncomfortable showing intense grief or anger to anyone as I've seen the former responded to very badly and the latter do damage. I think I'm known as being both emotional and logical. I use facts as a balance for the intensity of my emotions since I've learned that my emotions are very mercurial. I often will try and hold most of any intense reaction in until I've mulled it over simply because it is so intense.

Attention, no, affirmation, yes.

Dry maybe. I once heard sarcasm as "a way to say what you know you shouldn't but want to anyway" and I don't think I generally do that. If I don't think something should be said I don't say it. If I think it's ok than I do. I do have this eyebrow arching thing I do though, when people have said something I'm dubious about.

Are you silly?

Depends on who I'm around and when. I can be silly as a defensive mechanism sometimes, and I'm pretty silly around my students. If I'm happy than I'm silly, or relaxed. Otherwise I'm pretty intense.

Were you shy as a child?

I wasn't shy until I hit middle school but I was never one of the "popular" kids. I was ok with that as I thought they were vapid.

Considering the amount of times I've been called snotty for what appeared to be no reason? Sometimes.

I might if my father weren't an ENFJ and if weren't adhd. As it is, practice makes perfect and no. I have no problem expressing myself verbally. Standing up for myself verbally...that is an entirely different issue.

No? As a kid I had one or two friends and they were often older than me. I got along with most adults. I found most of my peers to be ridiculous. Now, I'm finding maturity to be rather relative.

That is subjective and I can't answer it.

Well....I would like to open this kind of art shop and have art classes in the evenings and do free work with local in and out-patient psychological care clinics where I would bring my products and have classes or they would come to my shop and do crafts and I would foot the bill and get to help people heal themselves a little.:rolli: Just...ignore my idealistic ramblings....

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
If you are an INFP:

I question all arbitrary authority. If there's a rule, I need to know why it's important for the big picture, otherwise I'll get mad it at and won't follow it. If there's a purpose to a rule, I have no issues with it.

I get that "blood boiling" feeling. It really irritates me. My reaction varies depending on my relation with the person. If it's someone I don't know well, I bottle it up and talk about it later with a friend. If I know them well, I'll probably point out what they're doing. Then I get home and create scenarios in which I approached the situation in a better way.

Unfortunately, yes. When I get happy, I get really excited! If I'm discussing something upsetting (particularly flaws about myself) I'll start crying. Then I start crying because I'm embarrassed I'm crying. It's a cycle. And it can happen anywhere, which is also embarrassing.

Yes. I need someone telling me I'm on the right track and complimenting my efforts, or else I start questioning if what I'm doing is worth it. But I also get annoyed when people invade my personal space, so I need a good balance.

Yes.

Are you silly?
When I'm with people I'm comfortable around, then very much so. I'm more reserved around people I don't know because I don't want them thinking bad things about me.

Were you shy as a child?
Extremely.

All the time. It's really frustrating. People might see me laughing and having fun with a close friend, then when I'm not that way in large groups they categorize me as "snobby" or "bitchy."

Yes. My thoughts come in all directions, get mixed up, then I get self-conscious because I don't feel like I'm being clear and people might think I'm totally out of it.

I've always felt younger. It's like they all grew out of fairy tales, and I'm still hoping my life will magically turn into one. Then there are times I feel older, like when I feel people don't consider others or their life passions.

I love writing, and my friends and classmates often tell me so.

An author. I'm currently almost done the draft of my first novel.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive? I was extraordinarily submissive as a child, but became timidly (then less timidly) rebellious as a teenager, and am not extraordinarily fond of them as an adult, depending on type. I question authority constantly but not to the point of being a rebel without a cause. I want to question authority intelligently, not just tear the structure down without contemplating how it is useful and how it isn't. I'm not an anarchist or a libertarian, but then again I'm not terribly fond of militaristic behavior either. I know bad cops exist. Etc.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you? As a younger person I would just let it happen and even asked myself if there was something wrong with me. I remember thinking that some people were better than me as a teenager. I completely got over that by my early twenties. In fact I'm pretty reactive toward people who think they can talk down to others. I hate condecension unless it's absolutely warranted.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with? I'm very emotionally reactive, more with people I'm comfortable with but sometimes in public.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships? Yes and no. Yes I need lots of affection and reassurance but I also need space and time alone.

Are you really sarcastic? Only when hurt or offended.

Are you silly? Have you seen my avatar?

Were you shy as a child? Painfully.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? Occasionally

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally? It was once because I was afraid to speak up much, but now that I'm an adult it's because I'm too blunt and have open mouth insert foot problems. I express myself more clearly in writing.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers? In high school I imagined that I felt older than some of my peers.I think I may have been a little more mature than some, but not as mature as I assumed I was back then.

Are you a talented writer? I like to think so, but I'm still working on it.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)? Idealistically a writer. Realistically probably a teacher or something that serves environmental or social needs.